Start by marking “Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love” as Want to Read:
Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love

Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love

From some of your favorite bestselling and critically acclaimed authors—including Sandhya Menon, Anna-Marie McLemore, and Rin Chupeco—comes a collection of interconnected short stories that explore the intersection of family, culture, and food in the lives of thirteen teens.

A shy teenager attempts to express how she really feels through the confections she makes at her
Published June 18th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Hearts, please sign up.
Emma Yes! There's one story with a f/f relationship and one with a trans character. These are the two that immediately came to mind but there may be more…moreYes! There's one story with a f/f relationship and one with a trans character. These are the two that immediately came to mind but there may be more besides these.(less)

Start your review of Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
C.G. Drews
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I heard about this book, I knew it had been written, very specifically, for me. so sorry if you thought it was yours; no, it is mine. It is like a love letter to FOOD. 13 short stories (including ones from authors I adore like Anna-Marie McLemore ahhhh [heart-eyes]) all centric on food, how it can be magic and healing and also deathly. It is the ultimate foodie fiction and I am just thriving here after devouring (heh heh) each story and growing so hungry at one point I had to stop ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My full review is now up on my blog, The Quiet Pond.
I also went on a food crawl to find all the food in this anthology!

Reading this anthology felt like sampling a tasting menu of the rich and brilliant colours of life. I loved this anthology and its stories so much - it's my favourite anthology I've ever read! - and is my fifth 5 read of 2019.

- This anthology is a collection of surprises. I had expected a thoroughly wholesome book (and indeed, some stories were wholesome!) but there were so
may ➹
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as need-to-finish
it’s a recipe for disaster when this book is all about food and I only pick it up when I’m hungry
Vicky Who Reads
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think, if I did my math correctly, the average of all the ratings of the stories is 4.11. But I also think this anthology deserves bonus points for the way the stories worked together, alluded to each other, and led up to each other.

I loved this and the links between the stories really added something extra to the anthology. Review to come! I took notes on each story.
Sahitya
As this is an anthology, I have rated the individual stories below but I’m still rating the overall collection a 5 star because I think it’s beautiful and heartfelt and has an important message.

While this book has been on my most anticipated list of 2019 and I have eagerly awaited its release, I somehow never realized that all the stories in this anthology are interconnected and that was actually a nice surprise. I completely fell in love with Hungry Hearts Row, with its diversity and
Janani(ஜனனி)
Rain - love is when a stranger gives you a box of pastries because you look like you really need it.

Kings and Queens - what the fuck did i just read

The Grand Ishq Adventure - damn, i don't know why i always relate to Sandhya Menon's characters

Sugar and Spite - thank the god it ended. I've never wanted to dnf a short story badly.

Moments to Return - this one was good. it made me google how many varieties of dumplings are there and i want EVERYTHING

The Slender One - now, this is what i wanted.

Dahlia
That was fun and full of surprises! This ranged from rom-com to borderline horror, and I definitely did not expect that, but there were stories on each end of that spectrum that were faves. I think I loved Sara Farizan and Elsie Chapman's stories most, but there was nothing in there I didn't like (and even as I type this sentence, I'm thinking "and Jay Coles's! And Rin Chupeco's! And!, and I love books about food so these descriptions definitely hit the spot. I feel like it really brought out a ...more
Maraia
This is the best story collection I’ve ever read. I adored every single story, and I love how they’re woven together and how the same characters and places kept popping up. Each story is unique and yet fits together with the others.

This book is about food, obviously, but it goes way beyond that. Through food, Hungry Hearts explores themes of family, friendship, love in all its forms, growing up, grief, anxiety, sexuality, learning how to move on from mistakes, and more. It’s incredible how much
Mikaela
I don't need to hear anything more than interconnected short stories and I am sold
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

My first anthology was a selection of short stories edited by Elsie Chapman centered on diverse Asian culture and fantasy. I LOVED it and hadn't ever been able to finish or get into an anthology before. A Thousand Beginnings and Endings made my top books of the year too. So when I heard about Hungry Hearts I knew that I would jump on an opportunity to read these...

The cover certainly gives you the contemporary vibe that is at the heart
Acqua
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
I love this cover, I love food, I need this anthology
xueh wei
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gifted
This book made my heart so FULL

With a stellar lineup of authors, they welcome us to Hungry Hearts Row — where the food is magic, and love is often served. We’re talking about love through family, friendships, and of course, romance.

Apart from the fact that the stories go from wholesome as heck to being creepy as hell, making for a diverse reading experience, they are all just so much fun & so, so interesting!

For a lot of us, food has always meant more than just sustenance— they represent
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Generally, I read anthologies more out of stubborn desire to read the stories by a couple of favorite authors than actual interest in the anthology as a whole. They're a struggle for me, because I want to read ALL of a book, but there are generally stories I love and stories I hate and wish I could DNF. Hungry Hearts was better than the average anthology, because I did genuinely like most of the stories. The ones I didn't like as much were generally relatively interesting anyway.

A couple
Sofia
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as tbr-2019-releases
i have a feeling this book is going to feel like the warmest hug and also make me very hungry
also: interconnected short stories!! yes please!!
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, ya, arc
It's not a BAD book, but it is an anthology so there are some caveats you should be aware of.

1. The quality of the writing varies a LOT between the authors. Some stories are definitely better than others. I really loved Rin Chupeco's story, but most of the others were just alright.

2. The writing reads pretty young in a lot of the stories. Some were a lot more middle grade than YA in my personal opinion.

3. Don't expect all the stories to be light and heart-warming. There are plenty that are not
Riddhi (desiderium.)
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Reads the name, Sandhya Menon.*
*Faints*

*Realises that the book won't be out till 2019.*
*Faints again*
Sarah Perchikoff
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many amazing anthologies coming out this year and Hungry Hearts is definitely one of them. The stories combine to make a book full of food, love, acceptance, and beautiful writing. I'll give a quick synopsis of each story and then talk about my overall thoughts. Let's get started!

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Sofie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, disappointing
I got up to 220 pages and made the decision to put it down. I'll probably finish the remaining stories at another time. This collection was one of my most-anticipated releases and I was sorely disappointed. So many of these authors have no idea how to write a story centered around food. There was hardly any sensory description or recipes. I may have had too high expectations but can you blame me for expecting stories resembling Like Water For Chocolate or With the Fire On High ? There were two ...more
Fanna
Jun 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can't wait to crave food while appreciating the diverse cultures!
Rashika (is tired)
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you, like me, are a great lover of both food and books, this anthology will immediately appeal to you. There are a ton of anthologies published each year and sometimes it’s hard to keep track all of them but what makes this one worthy of being on your TBR is that it isn’t just a collection of stories. It’s a collection of stories that is intertwined. Main characters from individual stories make appearances in stories outside of their own, secondary character from individual stories will make ...more
Holly
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*eARC kindly provided by Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing via NetGalley*

Rain by Sangu Mandanna: Now that is the first genuinely Anna thing you've said since you arrived. You're still in there. You'll find your way back again. Oof, this one hit me right in the feels. Grief is so weird and hard and everyone works through it differently. But Anna and her dad needed to realize that they should have been going through it with each other; it would've made it hurt less. But oh, this was sweet,
Booklover925
Fave anthology ever! Rin Chupeco's story was my favorite! Everyone has someone they will relate to in this book!
Divine
SO EXCITED FOR THIS. I fckin love book twitter, sometimes I get all the good recs there.
Madison
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Hungry Heart is a collection of short stories that celebrate food, culture, diversity and family. From romance to horror stories, ghosts to superheroes, Hungry Hearts will have something for everyone.

Rain by Sandy Mandanna
Anna and her father are visiting Hungry Hearts Row after the death of their mother and wife. Not sure how to talk about their grief they find an opening when they attempt to make Anna’s mother’s Coorg pandhi curry.

Kings and Queens by Elsie Chapman
After the first story, I was
Lisa Mandina
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, I haven't completely read all the stories in this book, but I know that I'll probably not get back to it. So I'm going to count it as finished. I have to say that I really enjoyed this a lot, and will definitely recommend for teens to read it. Basically from what I read, the first story was short and sweet. I also decided after reading it that I had to actually Google some of the different food types to get an idea what they were. The second story was really dark, but in a good way! The ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Word of advice: This book will make you hungry.

Food is something that is close to my heart, and I love how wholesome this was, making my mouth water throughout. It features many stories about family, friendship, culture and identity, and I loved how each of them centered around food. There is so much #ownvoices rep in here and it was wonderful seeing different cultures (and cuisines!) represented.

All of the stories were loosely related- characters and restaurants will appear within stories time
Hanne T
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hanne by: C.G. Drews
this was so fun! if you know me well, you know I LOVED INTERCONNECTED STORIES. SO MUCH. I love when everything makes sense aaaaaa IT'S GENIUS
I also love short stories so muchhhhh perfect for my attention span

Rain is darling and sweet and an amazing start to the collection
Kings and Queens is badass and terrifying and amazing
The Grand Ishq Adventure is lovely and sweet and SO CUTE (woo Sandhya Menon)
Sugar and Spice is just. good backstory, ig? wasn't as much of a fan of this one
Moments to Return
Lauren R.
I think this might be the most delightful anthology I've ever read. I loved how connected the stories were and the vibrant setting of Hungry Hearts Row. I would move there in a heartbeat and try every single food at all the restaurants. There was a huuuuge variety of genres here and they were balanced well / placed so perfectly within the anthology. When things got too dark for 1-2 stories, there was a cuter contemporary to follow. Overall, so well-done by every author in here. My lowest ...more
Ren (A Bookish Balance)

Side Work 3.5/5
Panaderia Pastelería 3.75/5
Taasia ✨
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You all, I think I found my new favourite short storu anthology of all time, and the fact that this only has 233 Goodreads reviews, at the time I'm writing this, shows that too many people are sleeping on this.

Review to be posted! (Actually).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Love You So Mochi
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • It's a Whole Spiel: Love, Latkes, and Other Jewish Stories
  • Virtually Yours
  • If It Makes You Happy
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • We Walked the Sky
  • Love From A to Z
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune
Hi there, Goodreads! I don't check messages or friend requests here. If you'd like to contact me, please find me at my website or on twitter. Thank you!

DUALED, Random House Children's Books, February 2013/DIVIDED, Random House Children's Books, February 2014
“Pumpkin compote in a masa shell," she says. "It's a new recipe I'm going to try this week."
"So, a pumpkin tamale? You know you can just call it a pumpkin tamale. Nobody's going to be impressed because you used some fancy words."
Her mouth turns down. "Thank you for the editorial. Just try it."
I take a bite. It's good. Better than I expected. The balance of cinnamon and nutmeg is perfect, a hint of allspice. And some ingredient I can't place. Almost... coppery? But it works.”
0 likes
“You did your best to be a good student. You chopped and cooked and measured and served according to her wishes. But sometimes you wondered if the stall could stand to be upgraded with modern comfort food. With pandan ensaymada instead of the increasingly popular but also growingly common ube, the fresh bread from the oven and the cheese still melting, sweetly fragrant from the infusion of those steeped leaves and as simple as a summer morning. Or chopped watermelons in bulalo soup to replace tomatoes, for that extra tang. Or even pork adobo, but with chili and sweet pineapples. You had so many ideas.” 0 likes