Start by marking “Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love” as Want to Read:
Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love

Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love

A stunning collection of short stories about the intersection of family, culture, and food in the lives in teens, from bestselling and critically acclaimed authors, including Sandhya Menon, Anna-Marie McLemore, and Rin Chupeco.

A shy teenager attempts to express how she really feels through the pastries she makes at her family’s pasteleria. A tourist from Montenegro despera
Published June 18th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Hearts, please sign up.
Emma Yes! There's one story with a f/f relationship and one with a trans character. These are the two that immediately came to mind but there may be more b…moreYes! There's one story with a f/f relationship and one with a trans character. These are the two that immediately came to mind but there may be more besides these.(less)

Start your review of Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
Melanie

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

This was our December 2020 pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕

➽ content and trigger warnings: death of loved one (Rain), death (Kings and Queens), frequent mentions of death (Moments to Return), bullying (Sugar and Spite), racism (Sugar and Spite), ill loved one (Kings and Queens, Gimme Some Sugar) -- thank you so much CW @ The Quiet Pond!
C.G. Drews
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I heard about this book, I knew it had been written, very specifically, for me. 😌 so sorry if you thought it was yours; no, it is mine. It is like a love letter to FOOD. 13 short stories (including ones from authors I adore like Anna-Marie McLemore ahhhh [heart-eyes]) all centric on food, how it can be magic and healing and also deathly. It is the ultimate foodie fiction and I am just thriving here after devouring (heh heh) each story and growing so hungry at one point I had to stop a ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My full review is now up on my blog, The Quiet Pond.
I also went on a food crawl to find all the food in this anthology!

Reading this anthology felt like sampling a tasting menu of the rich and brilliant colours of life. I loved this anthology and its stories so much - it's my favourite anthology I've ever read! - and is my fifth 5⭐ read of 2019.

- This anthology is a collection of surprises. I had expected a thoroughly wholesome book (and indeed, some stories were wholesome!) but there were so
may ➹
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as need-to-finish
it’s a recipe for disaster when this book is all about food and I only pick it up when I’m hungry
Vicky Again
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think, if I did my math correctly, the average of all the ratings of the stories is 4.11. But I also think this anthology deserves bonus points for the way the stories worked together, alluded to each other, and led up to each other.

I loved this and the links between the stories really added something extra to the anthology. Review to come! I took notes on each story.
Maëlys

December 10th: Bloom + A Beautiful Film
December 11th: Side Work + Panadería ~ Pastelería

YoutubeTwitter
Sahitya
As this is an anthology, I have rated the individual stories below but I’m still rating the overall collection a 5 star because I think it’s beautiful and heartfelt and has an important message.

While this book has been on my most anticipated list of 2019 and I have eagerly awaited its release, I somehow never realized that all the stories in this anthology are interconnected and that was actually a nice surprise. I completely fell in love with Hungry Hearts Row, with its diversity and amalgamati
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I don’t know what it was, but about halfway through with this anthology, I was just so ready to be done, The stories stopped grabbing me and were consistently average and I just didn’t really care about it anymore. But I didn’t want to DNF it so I just stopped taking note, so this review isn’t going to be a story-by-story breakdown typical for my other anthology reviews, just my overall thoughts.

Hungry Hearts follows the lives of people on Hungry Heart Row, a thriving foodie destination that fe
Janani(ஜனனி)⁷
Rain - love is when a stranger gives you a box of pastries because you look like you really need it.

Kings and Queens - what the fuck did i just read

The Grand Ishq Adventure - damn, i don't know why i always relate to Sandhya Menon's characters

Sugar and Spite - thank the god it ended. I've never wanted to dnf a short story badly.

Moments to Return - this one was good. it made me google how many varieties of dumplings are there and i want EVERYTHING

The Slender One - now, this is what i wanted.

Gi
Aarushi
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Third book of August, and I think this book was pretty good.
In case you didn’t know, Hungry Hearts is not an actual full-length novel, but thirteen tales, all taking place at the same setting: Hungry Hearts Row. They all take place in different places in Hungry Hearts Row (and I have a suspicion that they take place within a few months of each other) and with different main characters. Initially, I expected a fluffy contemporary book of thirteen people and their love stories, but some of these
Acqua
Let's say you're an editor with some very interesting anthology ideas, and you're fascinated by these concepts:

🍜 an anthology of interconnected stories that all take place in the same neighborhood at the same time, in which each story is full of tiny references to the others and forms a seamless web that enhances each story's meaning;
🍜 an anthology that spans across genres, from contemporary romance and horror to gang rivalries and ghost stories and superhero tales, in which stories have little
Shira Glassman
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies, wlw, people who want short reads bc pandemic
I stumbled onto this anthology by accident while searching one of its authors, and feel very lucky to have done so. For one thing, I LOVE food and have a special fondness for the human stories of the restaurant business, because of my work history. For another thing, short stories make great snacks during the pandemic when longer tasks seem intimidating. I also really adore the way all the stories are linked despite having separate authors, because all the restaurants and families that run them ...more
Emma

A Bountiful Film by S.K. Ali 4/5
Side Work by Sara Farizan 3.75/5
Panadería ~ Pastelería by A
Romie
rain: maybe I tried very hard not to cry and didn’t succeed. the writing was beautiful, and every single time the rain was described I swear I could feel it. the way this little story portrayed in a such a short amount of pages a broken but on its way to mending father-daughter relationship got me tearing up a bit (4)

kings and queens: this was so not what I had expected it to be. it took me by surprise, and I’m definitely not mad about it. I loved the conversation about the different kinds of fo
Dahlia
That was fun and full of surprises! This ranged from rom-com to borderline horror, and I definitely did not expect that, but there were stories on each end of that spectrum that were faves. I think I loved Sara Farizan and Elsie Chapman's stories most, but there was nothing in there I didn't like (and even as I type this sentence, I'm thinking "and Jay Coles's! And Rin Chupeco's! And!, and I love books about food so these descriptions definitely hit the spot. I feel like it really brought out a ...more
Maraia
This is the best story collection I’ve ever read. I adored every single story, and I love how they’re woven together and how the same characters and places kept popping up. Each story is unique and yet fits together with the others.

This book is about food, obviously, but it goes way beyond that. Through food, Hungry Hearts explores themes of family, friendship, love in all its forms, growing up, grief, anxiety, sexuality, learning how to move on from mistakes, and more. It’s incredible how much
Mikaela
I don't need to hear anything more than interconnected short stories and I am sold ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

My first anthology was a selection of short stories edited by Elsie Chapman centered on diverse Asian culture and fantasy. I LOVED it and hadn't ever been able to finish or get into an anthology before. A Thousand Beginnings and Endings made my top books of the year too. So when I heard about Hungry Hearts I knew that I would jump on an opportunity to read these...

The cover certainly gives you the contemporary vibe that is at the heart
caitlin ✶
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
At first, I was so sure that I was gonna rate this anthology 5 or at least 4 stars. But the last five stories were SO lackluster compared to the first seven. Sure, I disliked one story out of the first seven, but I loved the cohesiveness that was present in them.

But the last five? Though I did enjoy some stories in them, they felt disconnected from the entire anthology, and I felt like the underlying theme of food became watered down.

Rain by Sangu Mandanna- 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Gosh, this was an excellent open
Jolien
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
I've always been fairly hesitant to pick up short story collections. Too afraid that the stories wouldn't be able to captivate me, that the characters would be too unfamiliar to care about. Hungry Hearts has proved me wrong. I adored almost every single story in this book, and I'm walking away from this collection with a renewed love for food and a list of authors I want to read more of.

PLEASE give this a try. Even if you don't like short stories. Even if you're afraid this won't be for you. You
Mafalda

xueh wei
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gifted
This book made my heart so FULL ❣️

With a stellar lineup of authors, they welcome us to Hungry Hearts Row — where the food is magic, and love is often served. We’re talking about love through family, friendships, and of course, romance.

Apart from the fact that the stories go from wholesome as heck to being creepy as hell, making for a diverse reading experience, they are all just so much fun & so, so interesting!

For a lot of us, food has always meant more than just sustenance— they represent cult
sofia
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as tbr-2019-releases
i have a feeling this book is going to feel like the warmest hug and also make me very hungry
also: interconnected short stories!! yes please!!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Generally, I read anthologies more out of stubborn desire to read the stories by a couple of favorite authors than actual interest in the anthology as a whole. They're a struggle for me, because I want to read ALL of a book, but there are generally stories I love and stories I hate and wish I could DNF. Hungry Hearts was better than the average anthology, because I did genuinely like most of the stories. The ones I didn't like as much were generally relatively interesting anyway.

A couple additio
Vanessa Menezes
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
A stunning collection of short stories by bestselling authors about the intersection of family, culture, and food in the lives in teens.

Hungry Hearts explores the many meanings food can take on beyond mere nourishment. It can symbolize love and despair, family and culture, belonging and home.

Being a big foodie, I totally loved this book. In fact, to make my reading experience even more memorable, I decided to read only one story a day (oh boy! it was difficult!)

Even though the stories are interc
Linaria
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, arc, anthology
It's not a BAD book, but it is an anthology so there are some caveats you should be aware of.

1. The quality of the writing varies a LOT between the authors. Some stories are definitely better than others. I really loved Rin Chupeco's story, but most of the others were just alright.

2. The writing reads pretty young in a lot of the stories. Some were a lot more middle grade than YA in my personal opinion.

3. Don't expect all the stories to be light and heart-warming. There are plenty that are not
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Word of advice: This book will make you hungry.

Food is something that is close to my heart, and I love how wholesome this was, making my mouth water throughout. It features many stories about family, friendship, culture and identity, and I loved how each of them centered around food. There is so much #ownvoices rep in here and it was wonderful seeing different cultures (and cuisines!) represented.

All of the stories were loosely related- characters and restaurants will appear within stories time
Nina
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5*

Out of the 10 stories I liked maybe 3 or 4 and the rest were pretty forgettable. I liked the overall feeling of the short story collection, the whole food theme was very interesting but the execution wasn’t satisfactory.
Darcy
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short story collection is super diverse, and some of the stories were just super weird in general, which was fun. Enjoyable overall! I'll definitely be giving some of my unread authors in this collection a shot! ...more
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Dec 07, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2020-read
Dnfing after 2.25 stories
Can't handle it anymore 😶

• I Love You So Mochi
  • Love at First Fight (Dimple and Rishi, #2.5)
  • Color Outside the Lines
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • A Pho Love Story
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • All the Bad Apples
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • I Wish You All the Best (I Wish You All the Best, #1)
  • Girls of July
  • Love From A to Z
  • Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom
  • Not Your Backup (Sidekick Squad, #3)
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies
  • Rebel Girls
  • Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Hi there, Goodreads! I don't check messages or friend requests here. If you'd like to contact me, please find me at my website or on twitter. Thank you!

Elsie Chapman grew up in Prince George, Canada, and has a degree in English literature from the University of British Columbia. She is the author of the YA novels Dualed, Divided, Along the Indigo, and Caster as well as the MG novel All the Ways Ho