Start by marking “The Blood Race (The Blood Race, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Race (The Blood Race, #1)

The Blood Race

(The Blood Race #1)

All Ion Jacobs ever wanted was to be normal. But when you’re capable of killing with your very thoughts, it’s hard to blend in with the crowd.

Running from his past and living in fear of being discovered, Ion knows he will never be an average college student. But when Hawk, the beautiful, mysterious girl next door unearths his darkest secret, Ion’s life is flipped upside

Published July 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Race, please sign up.

Ivie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I decided to come back and write a new and improved review. A while back, I accidentally deleted my first review and then I came back with one I threw together really fast and I JUST NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING THAT GIVES THIS BOOK JUSTICE, OKAY??

This book is LIFE. Everyone needs it.

~Plot~ 5/5
~Characters~ 5/5
~Storytelling~ 5/5
~Prose~ 5/5
~Romance~ 5/5
~Aesthetics~ 5/5
~Overall~ 10000000/5

I bought this book almost a year ago with a gift card and some extra cash. I had just heard about K.A Emmons and rea
Abbie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE needs this book in their lives.

I’ve read sci-fi/fantasy thrillers before – and I’m kind of a picky reader, too – but The Blood Race blew me away with how unique it is. This is not your average teenager-with-superpowers book. This story is woven together with such detail and precision. It’s beautiful. You will fall in love with the characters (and want to hug some of them and take them home with you.) Not to mention, the writing is next level – beautifully crafted prose, deep themes, co
Gray Cox
😱😱😱❤❤❤❤

RTC (the link will be posted this Tuesday!)

It's up: https://graymariewrites.blogspot.com/...
Lila Kims
This book was like no other I have ever read. Something about it felt so unique, so different from your average YA fantasy. (Or sci-fi fantasy. Whatever specific genre it falls into.)

I’ve seen several reviewers compare The Blood Race to Narnia, which I initially found unusual and almost impossible. After all, the vibe of the novel is nowhere NEAR a Narnia vibe - that much was clear from the get-go. As the story progressed, however, I picked up on the similarity. Now I would probably comp-title i
Nicole Dust
How is it that every time I read this book, it just gets better??

The first time I read it, I thought it was okay, but not the best book ever. I was really confused by the climax, also.

The second time, I understood a lot more about it, and more pieces fit together.

And now this time?

I want to pound out a thousand words, this book was so GOOD. For some reason, I feel really motivated to write. Maybe it’s because the writing style is so beautiful.

I also realized what I was missing about the climax,
lisa elis
This book being as hyped up as it was, my expectations were like SKY HIGH. Yup. And now that I've finished what do I say? Wow. Oh my word. I READ THE BOOK GUYS I ACTUALLY GOT TO READ IT I THOUGHT I'D HAVE TO WAIT AGES BUT I'M SO THRILLED I GOT TO READ IT IT FEELS LIKE FOREVER BEFORE I DID BUT I'M DONE NOW CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!!? ... yeah, sorry, I'm done now.

The good news, my friends, is that this book did live up to my expectation in almost every way. Almost. But we'll get to that later.

Some wh
R.F. Gammon
After giving myself ample time to process (read: over a month XD) I have finally decided to review this book. And man, it's so complicated, I just can't.

I'll admit to being a leeeeetle disappointed by this one, mostly because so many of my blogging friends absolutely LOVE it. That's not to say I didn't like it--it was really, really good! It simply didn't grab me and throw me into it the way my five-star reads have.

The characters and the prose were probably the best part. Ion was a definite hi
Allyson
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I will begin this review by admitting that sci-fi/fantasy novels (moreso fantasy novels) are apart of a genre I struggle to enjoy. Usually if they are apart of a dystopian series (Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.) I'm more prone to enjoy them, and there were hints in The Blood Race that there may be some dystopian elements further in the series. This novel was basically setting the stage for the series, so I cannot tell if my assumptions are correct at this time. That being said, I'm going to try m ...more
Totally Graced
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Blood Race is a fantastic YA sci-fi novel by the one and only K.A. Emmons. It tells the story of Ion and Hawk, and a world with "anomalies", different dimensions, shapeshifting, and a prophecy that will alter the world as we know it. It's an intense, gripping read that will leave you clamoring to know what's going to happen next.

I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm not always a fan of sci-fi. It's just not a genre that I tend to connect with quite as easily. But I absolutely adored
Olivia Rollins
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one receives a four-star rating not at all because the writing wasn't gorgeous enough to merit five stars. Because agh. K.A. Emmons has an incredible way with words... in some parts of the book I felt like I was reading poetry or song rather than a story. This book is graphically, emotionally vibrant, completely draws you in, and is VERYYY well-done.
I dock a star mostly because of content; that's pretty much it. Quite a lot of language, a couple suggestive scenes (though it wasn't portray
Nate Philbrick
I'm going to have to mark this as DNF. The writing was fantastic, the dialog was crisp and felt more genuine than a lot of other indie books I've read, and for what it's worth, I absolutely loved the cover art the moment I saw it. The premise was intriguing, even if it wasn't entirely my cup of tea, and Ion was beginning to grow on me.

I was, however, disappointed by the swearing and frequent sensual content and allusions. I was really hoping for a clean read, given what little I knew about the
Hailey Rose
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me, confused me, and I'm still not sure what is going on in the character's minds but since book two is coming soon I'm kind of okay with that. :) Emmons does a fantastic job with imagery. It almost feels like poetry. To be honest, I wasn't superbly fond of the main guy character for about half the book. He was lazy, undetermined, and annoying. The main girl character was little better, but her voice seemed stronger through the writing and I felt like I understood her a littl ...more
Galaxy Adventurer
So, first off,
I AM NOT OK AND I NEED BOOK TWO NOW.
Now for the rest of the review XD

This book starts off full of action(I mean it starts off with a street race, talk about a racing start ;) and the action just continues throughout the whole book.
The characters felt real, were relatable, and their character development was nicely done. We get glimpses of what it means to forgive others and ourselves, and to move on from things in our past in these characters. Also, Hawk, Ion, and Fin are such ama
Allison
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it so much!! The only problem was the language....but other than that, ahhhhhh--so good. And that cliffhanger! I need book 2 now.. :))
Hanne T
OH. MY. WORD. I haven’t really considered myself a sci-fi or dystopian reader until recently, but I’m so glad I discovered that I liked both before reading The Blood Race!

Imagine The Raven Boys meets A Wrinkle in Time meets The Giver while being both secular and Christian at the same time. Like, all the good parts of those books together.

While that ^ sounds like it gives you a general idea of what The Blood Race is about, (lol not really), it’s SO DIFFERENT. The Blood Race is different from all
Abigail
The truth was, I had invented my life as an author invents a fairy tale. I was made up. Faux. Nothing about me was real.

Wow. That ending though.
I had heard glowing reviews of this book from several friends, and when I started I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it. There's quite a lot of language at the beginning, and I wasn't the hugest fan of Ion as a character. But once I got past the first few chapters and into the plot, ooh boy was it hard to put down. The character development,
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freaking LOVED this book. It was the first book in months to keep me up till the wee hours reading and on the edge of the chair, my tired eyes kept open in suspense. And while it was fast paced and action packed, it was not at all lacking in character development, plot, or inspiring themes. I want to talk about all of these points so, make yourself comfortable, we'll be here for a while.

Characters, where should I start?! First off, all of the characters were three dimensional, flawed, beautifu
Laura A. Grace
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read and loved the opening. A street race with some kind of "superpower" interference? Count me in!

As a whole, I enjoyed THE BLOOD RACE, even though I totally admit that I felt some things went way above my head. I didn't stay stuck on them because I liked what was happening, and I especially liked Ion. This is the first book I have read that I STRONGLY did not like the female lead. I'm still uncertain how I feel about her, but I feel she redeemed herself near the e
Evangeline
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
REREAD: THIS BOOK, YO. After rereading it, I can see some flaws, but overall, SO GOOD.

AND THE CLIFFHANGER WAS JUST CRUEL.

The Blood Race was so unique! It was very different than what I was expecting, and I am glad it was. I loved how every single aspect of the more fantastical side seemed realistic and plausible.

I'm so glad that I bought it.
Hannah
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stories like this one. Fresh stories about superhumans and different worlds are undoubtably the best, and K.A. Emmons was able to execute it so well in The Blood Race. I got so many X-men/Miss Peregrine vibes while I was reading, but not in a bad way at all. The author was able to take the familiar concepts and make them her own flawlessly.

I could tell that great care and detail were put in developing the universe of dimensions and Sliders, but I still found myself confused from time to t
abby ✨
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: si-fi, ya, series, romance
OVERALL
OHMYGOODNESS WHAT A STELLAR BOOK. perfect prose, incredibly relatable characters, and an engaging magical world just waiting to be explored. worlds beneath (book 2/3) is now a must-have on my tbr list.

quick content warning: plenty of blood & gore, mentions of sex and rape, mild language

loves
- HAWK? WAS? INCREDIBLE?? hawk is the strong female character(TM), but, for once, she actually has emotions and real issues???? WHERE HAS SHE BEEN ALL MY LIFE??? oh my goodness, hawk is just the ep
Writing is my Superpower
This book was good, but it wasn't my favorite. It was a little bit predictable, but still interesting.

I know a lot of people really like this book...but I just couldn’t really get into it. I couldn’t really connect with the characters and the plot seemed a bit predictable. That’s not to say that you won’t like the book because a lot of people do. :)

*Disclaimer* I received a free copy of this book in a giveaway.
S. M. Metzler
This was an elegantly written book with intriguing characters and world building. Kudos to Ms. Emmons for her beautiful writing style and talent in forming emotions with words.
However, the first half of the book moved very slowly for me, and a few plot details were not completely clear. I think this was partly my fault because I wasn’t reading it consistently when I first started it, and perhaps the story would have flowed better and made more sense if I had.
There was also a good deal of sweari
Julian Daventry
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Must say I was not pleased by the language used in this book. And it's not even the language (which I can skim past) but rather the frequent and irreverent use of "God."

That being said, I otherwise enjoyed the book. I enjoyed getting to learn about sliders and about Hawk and Icarus and all the other characters. The interactions were fun and amusing, and the descriptions were very well written.

I will be reading the next one asap!
Mukta A
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Incredible is all I can say.
Gabriela
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow. I’m impressed. Very impressed. I can safely say that this was a book unlike anything that I have ever read. It was something totally different and unique. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. THAT ENDING THOUGH. That must be one of the more traumatic endings that I’ve read. I needed the next book like yesterday.

Ion is not the typical college student that he tries to be. He has abilities that he doesn’t understand and can’t control. Abilities that are deadly for those who come into co
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

My friends on Goodreads raved about how wonderful this book was, how it was the best thing ever. Honestly, I wasn't not really sure what to think about this book. It took me a while to really get into it, and although I'm totally one of those people who love the idea of powers, I just found myself not really connecting with the book.

Ion was an interesting character, someone who was one of those I had a love-hate relationship with. I got frustrated
Aria Maher
Jennifer G
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ion Jacobs has a dark secret. He's an anomaly. He's trying to be a 'normal' college student but he's running from his past, from the danger within. And each day it gets harder to keep his secret, his powers hidden. When the old man and mysterious girl, Hawk next door confront him, he knows his time is up. Hawk shows him another world, another dimension, a world designed to protect and train people like Hawk and Ian; one where levitation, shape-shifting, and immortality are the norm. A world for ...more
Mary Shelley Reid
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REASONS TO READ THIS BOOK!!
1. You won't be able to put it down.
This plot is the perfect twist of action and introspection. One minute, an epic fight, the next a raw & poignant look into the inner depths of a character. For me, this is a perfect formula for a novel. If it's all action, I end up skimming to find the big plot points and get on with it; if it's all introspective and feely, I get bored and decided to read something else. (Raise your hand if you also have the attention span of a g
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Promised One (The Chalam Færytales, #1)
  • Heirs of Tirragyl (The Poison Tree Path Chronicles #2)
  • The Hive
  • Life After E.L.E. (Frozen World, #1)
  • Shadowed Eden (Beguiled #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • The False Prophet (Stonegate, #2)
  • Blinding Beauty (Becoming Beauty #2)
  • The Fisher of Bones
  • F.A.I.R.I.E.S.: Baptism by Fire
  • The Wingman Chronicles
  • A Light in the Darkness (The Light)
  • The Second Cup (The Butterfly Effect, #1)
  • Putting the Science in Fiction: Expert Advice for Writing with Authenticity in Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Other Genres
  • Rustic Stars
  • Here, The World Entire
  • The Tremblers (Blackburn Chronicles #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Whispers (Whisper, #1)
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run.

Emmons’ debut novel The Blood Race is the first book in her YA science fiction/fantasy thriller series.

The novel follows main character Ion, a trouble

The Blood Race (2 books)
  • Worlds Beneath (The Blood Race, #2)
“He moved to the next tree. "Our past can only follow us if we allow it to, Hawk."
"It doesn't follow me, Sensei, it haunts me," I said. "It lies in wait for me in the dark."
"A warrior cannot be haunted."
"What makes you think I am one?"
"Because when I look at you, I see nothing but a warrior who insists on wrapping herself in an unnecessary cocoon.”
4 likes