Start by marking “Accidental Heroes (The Rogues, #1)” as Want to Read:
Accidental Heroes (The Rogues, #1)

Accidental Heroes

(The Rogues #1)

In the city of Berren, strange things happen. People disappear, trees sprout overnight. But no one believes in magic. To believe in magic would be disloyal…

The devious Lord Rump and his granddaughter, Duckling, need a disposable boy, and Pummel, a farm boy looking for work in the city, fits the bill perfectly. Duckling is happy to tangle him in her grandpa's web, as long
Published October 2017 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Accidental Heroes, please sign up.
Lian Tanner Not in bookshops. But US readers can certainly buy it online.…moreNot in bookshops. But US readers can certainly buy it online. (less)

Start your review of Accidental Heroes (The Rogues, #1)
Emma
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this middle grade fantasy/adventure novel and my 7 year old son is avidly consuming it at the moment as well. The characters of Duckling and Pummel are likeable and interesting, as is the overarching magic which holds the universe together. The writing is concise and vivid, expertly woven and the plot unfolds well. I love the character of Lord Rump, a true rogue if ever there was one, and the way in which he presents himself (and also the layers of subtext that are woven through ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Duckling’s grandpa had the sweetest smile you could imagine.’

Welcome back to the world Ms Tanner established in ‘The Keepers’ trilogy. In this, the first novel in ‘The Rogues’ trilogy, Ms Tanner introduces new characters with new adventures. Strange things happen in the city of Berren, but no-one can believe in magic. But how else can you explain people disappearing and trees which grow overnight? And what exactly is a Cadet Snuffigator?

But I’m getting ahead of myself, and of the story. First
Elena
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-teen, reviewed, fantasy
Gracias a Babelio (Masa crítica) por el ejemplar.

Al principio dudé si apuntarme a este libro en Masa Crítica porque viendo los nombres de los personajes pensé que iba a ser bastante infantil y no precisamente en el buen sentido. No obstante, el argumento sonaba bien. Ver que en la sinopsis había un lugar en el que el tiempo se había detenido, conspiraciones y la posibilidad de que los personajes sufrieran una muerte horrible hicieron que me animara a apuntarme a reseñar un libro que incluía
Angela
Actual rating: 3 1/2.
Thankfully, this book got better as it went along. I wasn't very impressed at start with, and it took till about chapter 12 to get into it. After that, it was a good read, though.

I haven't read The Keepers, so perhaps that would have added to the world-building, of which there wasn't a lot in this book. From what I've read in other reviews, I would probably recommend that a child start with The Keepers series before reading this one.

One thing I'd ask publishers to change is
Michelle
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this well written middle-primary fantasy adventure romp. Once you get your head around the new language....it’s all go from there.
A young reader put me onto this book. He loved it ...so I said I’d give it a go. It was enjoyable. I’ll have to point him towards Liam Tanner’s other books on our library shelves.....and look out for more to buy.
Jackie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lian Tanner continues her successful run of great children's stories/trilogies. Again, the first volume is entertaining & engrossing, with strong characters, particularly the young girl Duckling. An excellent start & I am looking forward to the other 2 books.
Marcus
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it was very exciting and really grousem,but i still loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sherry Mackay
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read even for an oldie like me:). I think the target audience will love it. Great characters (weird names) and a plot that leaves you wanting more.
Trisha
Exciting adventure for middle readers.
Kaiya
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simply delightful book and the target audience will love it. I can’t wait to read the sequel!!
Elizabeth Edwards
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed this story! I love the characters names, they made me smile. Right away I knew that I was going to like this book.
The Rogues, Accidental Heroes is a fun story full of plot twists, danger, adventure, exciting Old Magic, that brings two children together to become heroes.
Duckling’s grandpa, Lord Rump, is a consummate schemer. And although she knows she can’t hardly trust a word he says, Duckling loves him. She works hard to keep him out of trouble as he tries to make a
Aeryn
Bookworm
May 19, 2018
Cheyenne Dawe
Jan 14, 2018

• The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • Frogkisser!
  • The Hidden Hours
  • Girls at the Piano
  • Adventures of Sam Pig
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • Paddington Hits Out (Colour Cubs)
  • The Supermarket Mystery
  • The Secret of Zoone
  • The Butterfly Room
  • Graevale (The Medoran Chronicles, #4)
  • Neville No-Phone
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Sputnik's Guide to Life on Earth
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Jinxed!: The Curious Curse of Cora Bell (Jinxed, #1)
Lian Tanner has been dynamited while scuba diving and arrested while busking. She once spent a week in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, hunting for a Japanese soldier left over from the Second World War. She likes secrets, old bones, and animals that are not what they seem. Nowadays she lives by the beach in southern Tasmania with a furry tomcat called Harry-le-beau.

Lian's bestselling fantasy

The Rogues (3 books)
  • Secret Guardians (The Rogues, #2)
  • Haunted Warriors (The Rogues, 3)