Start by marking “Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)” as Want to Read:
Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)

Daring and the Duke

(The Bareknuckle Bastards #3)

New York Times bestselling author Sarah MacLean returns with the much-anticipated final book in her Bareknuckle Bastards series, featuring a scoundrel duke and the powerful woman who brings him to his knees.

Grace Condry has spent a lifetime running from her past. Betrayed as a child by her only love and raised on the streets, she now hides in plain sight as queen of London
Published June 30th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Daring and the Duke, please sign up.
Sarah MacLean Hi! Yes! It's Ewan and Grace's book! I hope it's worth the all caps! xx
Jessica It will be! A teaser few pages of it are in the back of Brazen and the Beast.

Start your review of Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Before reading: I got an arc. Dear god please be another groveling romance like day of the duchess!!! I need it to be!!

After reading: Well... it sadly did not live up to the day of the duchess hype.

I’ve struggled with this series (I gave both Wicked & Brazen 3 stars) but I was holding out hope for Ewan and Grace, who have been so hyped and anticipated since they were first introduced. I live for second chance romance and my last experience with it from SM was brilliant. Sadly, Daring didn’t quit
Sarah MacLean
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: historical, romance, mine
You Are A Queen I am your throne

I usually get something up about the book earlier than two months beforehand here on Goodreads, but it's 2020, so I'm taking everything as a win these days!

Here we go! Grace and Ewan finally get their happily ever after in Daring & the Duke -- and hoo-boy do they go through the wringer for it. I hope you love their love story as much as I do, complete with angst, drama, dirty fighting, an endless grovel....and Whit and Devil grumbling about it the whole time.

An incomplete list of stuff you'll
christina
can this be about Nik + Nora instead? because I ain't got time for Ewan.

JenReadsRomance
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I am a friend of Sarah's and her FatedMates podcast cohost!

Hi, this book was my everything.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but this book DELIVERS. All the things you wanted from Ewan & Grace...and more! This book gave me things I didn't even know I wanted. I just thought it was magnificent and subversive in the best way. I'm not even coherent right now because I don't know how to talk about it without spoilers, but this book is just perfect. fucking perfection.
MG
3 Wanted this to be better stars

Where to start...? Well, it is best if you have read the other two books before this one because the story builds and finally comes to a resolution with this final installment of The Bareknuckle Bastards trilogy.

Quick recap of the overarching story line: Devil (aka Devin), Whit (aka Beast), and Ewan are all bastard children of the Duke of Marwick whose wife had enough of his cheating and decided to get some outside action of her own, so she had an affair that als
Aila
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can't wait for this book, but also some thoughts after reading Brazen and the Beast

- After the way Ewan has been acting in the series, I better see some MAJOR groveling. Hattie hit the nail on the head when (view spoiler) I am also prepared for major character development from him because he does NOT look good.
- I'm so excited for Grace OMG, I love her already (and her gang of girls, yaYEET).
- I'm antici
Stacee
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think it’s a secret that I am still borderline obsessed with this series, so when I received the invite to read Grace’s book, I basically screamed.

I’ve loved Grace from the first time we saw her. She’s strong and fierce and stands up for herself. I love that she holds her own with Devil and Whit and that they’re ready to bend over backwards for her. I wasn’t sure what to expect with Ewan. He’s been such a jerk and I was hoping hoping hoping there was more to his story.

Plot wise, it was g
b.andherbooks
Gosh, that was so good.

I'm just going to sit here with my feelings.
(April 2020)

2nd read - audio & print (my own copies) - July 4 - July 13 2020

It is truly difficult to write a coherent review for a book you adore I've discovered. Let's just mash some keys on the keyboard and call it done? No, I cannot do that! Plus I had to review the audio book for my Library Journal gig and I don't think lkjsdflkjakjl would work.

Mildly spoilery and if you haven't read the other books in this series (or this bo
Holly
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
One of my (many) pet peeves in books is when one character is viewed terribly by almost everyone but they have information/perspective that will redeem themselves. Do they immediately reveal it and defend themselves? Of course not. They needlessly wait until almost the end of the book to finally reveal why they are in fact not a terrible person. This kind of reveal can be done well (see: ACOTAR/A Court of Mist and Fury), but when it's done badly - well, you have this book. The guy basically did ...more
Geri Reads
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok

I'm definitely in the minority with this book. A lot of my friends loved this, and I could totally see why they would. In fact, there were moments where I thought, 'Wow, I love this.' But there were also a lot of moments where I just downright hated everything: the characters, the writing, the plot. Unfortunately, there were more of the latter moments than the former, hence, my rating.

This series had been pretty uneven for me but I was hoping that Ewan and Grace's story would be the bes
The Bookshelf Wars
Unpalatable

I didn’t finish the book. I got about halfway through before I gave up. (The writing... was it always like this? Like cake with an excess of frosting, so much sugar that you can only eat a few bites before setting it aside?)

But I’ll admit, I didn’t come into the finale of the Bareknuckle Bastards series with the most open of minds. As she has done in previous series, MacLean has been building to this story, establishing the groundwork in the previous installments. It’s a technique tha
Jessica
I really do enjoy this series, but I think the plot in all of these books are much slower and spend more time developing relationships than keeping me engaged in the story itself.

This was my most anticipated book of this series. Ewan is the villain in the first two books and he's obsessed with Grace because of their past relationship. In this book, Ewan realizes that Grace is actually alive (he thought she was dead and went on a rampage in the last book), so he has a lot of groveling to do. Unf
Rheeza
This is a bit of a rant than a review so first, I want to be clear that I am fan of Sarah Maclean’s works. The first two books in this series are one of my favorites. However, Daring and the Duke did not work for me. That’s my opinion and I am in no way judging those people who loved it so please don’t take this review personally. I am just a lowly rambling idiot.

Now, that’s out of the way-- here's my thing about this book: Ewan never redeemed himself in my eyes. We all know that he was the vil
Hollis
My trepidation for starting this book was two-fold. One, because I was (am?) slumping hard, and two, I worried about how this story, featuring this particular male protagonist, could win me over after all the chaos and damage he had done over the course of this series.

So I'm pretty pleased that a, this book pulled me out of the world for a short time, and b, that the turnaround for this character felt.. valid. Very different from the last third-book-in-a-series-asshole-redemption installment I e
Shawna
2.5 stars - Historical Romance

This series has been a bit of a disappointment for me, and I had the same issues with this book that I had with Wicked and the Wallflower and Brazen and the Beast.

*Frustrating misunderstandings and lack of communication
*Repetitive
*Slow pacing
*Self-perpetuated and manufactured drama keeping the H/h apart
Caroline
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Once again, I can't finish a SM book. I am so disappointed.

It's so unrealistic and I can't list all the reasons why, it would take too freaking long. The problem is that it could have been so good. Instead, it was RIDICULOUS.

I think I may have to give up Sarah. I can't do these caricatures of nineteenth century women.
Casey
Look, I hate to be greedy... but there are some things that I NEED from Sarah MacLean...

This book is one of them. I will be at KissCon next year and was really hoping this would be out by then so I could get it signed but June works too and I'll just have to narrow down my MacLean favorites and bring one of those.

A Nik & Nora book is another one. I don't know how else to say it, I just NEED that book in my life. Please.
Please Please PLEASE

Don't get me wrong, I'm a thousand kinds of interested i
Kellie
Jul 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is not the working-class romance you're looking for. It's all just so surface level, without any actual work put in to thinking about what would REALLY be an upending of unequal power structures.

Do I really have to remind you that "crime lords" are not good people? Not even a little bit? And also don't really count as working-class if they're off-the-wall rich?

(And that MURDERER-STALKERS maybe don't ACTUALLY deserve a romance written about them, not even if they're really, really sorry, and
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
so good! I wasn't sure how Ewan would be redeemed after everything, but after Mal's redemption in The Day of the Duchess I knew if anyone could do it, it was Sarah.

Also, completely loved getting a glimpse into the lives of everyone after their happily every afters.
Amanda
I have been looking forward to this book for a year, and I am devastated by it. I love this author, I’ve loved most of her past books, but this one was an utter train wreck for me. Really, the entire series was a train wreck for me, in the end. It’s like the book couldn’t decide what it wanted to be, so it just threw everything in. UFC fighting? Check. Missing person come back to life? Check. Childhood love? Check. Rags to riches? Check. Stalking and pining? Check. One night stand, supposedly? C ...more
Chessa
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
nick
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Oh, man! Daring and the Duke was so so good! Most fans of this series have been highly anticipating this book in particular because Ewan and Grace have such a tumultuous history together. For me, this book was everything I was hoping for them and I'm so pleased with how Sarah MacLean handled Ewan's redemption!

Sarah MacLean always writes terrific female characters, but Grace is probably my favorite heroine from her. She was a badass young woman who had turned her life around and was consider
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah MacLean Fans, Romance
3 Wanting Stars
* * * Spoiler Free-A Quick Review
Sometimes I can start a series and let everything take me away. I can buy into it wholeheartedly, accept all the prose and plotting, and be in the moment. It truly is a delight when that happens. There are other times, though, when I can wish with all my might to be there, right where the author wants me to be...and for some reason, it doesn't quite happen. I will still appreciate the read and craftings, the talent of the author...but my mind think
Books Just 4 Me
I have been waiting for Grace and Ewan’s story from the beginning of this series. The whole story behind their beginning and childhood is very intriguing. The depth of lies the old duke would go to in order to preserve his line was endless. We knew from the first two books Grace is a strong and formidable woman. Grace, Devil, and Whit started with nothing and are now the royalty of covenant garden. Ewan has always loved Grace and this story gets to the bottom of the fated night in which he tried ...more
Joana V.
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review originally published at Romancing Romances.

I received an eARC at no cost from the author, and I am leaving a voluntary and honest review. Thank you.

I can't express how happy I am to have received this book, and just before my birthday. What a wonderful gift.

If you've read any of Sarah MacLean's books, you know she's great at turning a villain around. And this book is testament to that. Although I'll say, I liked Ewan from the first book, even though I didn't like what he did.

The Bareknuck
Lauren
Daring and the Duke
2 Stars

Unfortunately, the final installment in The Bareknuckle Bastards does not live up to its potential. Strangely enough, it is not even Ewan, whose behavior is so egregious in the first two books, who fails to resonate, but rather Grace who come across as truly selfish and unlikable.

While MacLean does manage to successfully redeem Ewan's character, the actual explanation for his actions 20 years earlier is so obvious as to be completely trite. Neverthless, his clear contr
☕️Kimberly
After the climatic events in Brazen and the Beast, I wasn’t entirely sure how things could be mended. While each story holds its own swoon-worthy romance, I implore you to read this series in the order of its release. The overall story ARC, and anticipation are not to missed.

We quickly discover what happened to Ewen after the invents at the docks and I squealed with delight. For years the brothers have told Ewen that Grace is dead in an effort to keep her safe and hidden…but now Ewen knows and n
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Going into this book, I despised Ewan for what he had done and honestly? I didn’t think there was anything MacLean could write to make me like him... and then-

Daring and the Duke was sheer perfection. There’s absolute groveling, possibly a good chance at redemption, and OMG!!! the best second chance romance I’ve read in years!

Ewan and Grace’s story was everything I didn’t know I wanted and then some!

I received an advance reader copy from Netgalley and Avon books. This is my honest review.
Ginger at GReadsBooks
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-2020
When you finally get your hands on the last installment of not only one of your favorite historical romance series, but also one of your most anticipated reads for 2020, it’s hard to properly articulate your reading experience for said book. But I will do my best, because this book, this series, this author — deserves the best!

If you’ve read the previous two books in the Bareknuckle Bastards series (which I highly recommend you doing because this IS a continuation series), then you’ll already kn
Jen Davis
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of this author and this series in particular. I love tortured heroes and all three of these books have featured them. Bastard sons who were gathered together by their father to battle it out in order to become the next Duke. Everyone thought Ewan won. What they never stopped to consider is that he really lost. Not only that, he did it for them.

Readers of the series will recognize Ewan as the villain in the other two installments. After all, he went after Devil and Beast at every

• The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • Would I Lie to the Duke (Union of the Rakes, #2)
  • Head Over Heels
  • Recipe for Persuasion (The Rajes, #2)
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • Meet You in the Middle
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Highland Sword (Royal Highlander #3)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Loathe at First Sight
New York Times, Washington Post & USA Today bestseller Sarah MacLean is the author of historical romance novels that have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Sarah is a leading advocate for the romance genre, speaking widely on its place at the nexus of gender and cultural studies. A romance columnist and co-host of the weekly romance novel podcast, Fated Mates, her work in support of

The Bareknuckle Bastards (3 books)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Finding the perfect book at the perfect moment can feel a lot like falling in love. Both experiences bring up those “I can’t take my eyes off of...