Start by marking “Fieldwork Fail” as Want to Read:
Fieldwork Fail

Fieldwork Fail

Glued to a crocodile, swallowing fossils, or shoes melted by lava...

Scientists working on all continents share their best stories, from the Colombian jungle to the Antarctic ice. Dive into the everyday mistakes of biologists, archeologists, entomologists, and volcanologists!
Published 2017 by Makisapa

To ask other readers questions about Fieldwork Fail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fieldwork Fail

Start your review of Fieldwork Fail
Liz
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Charming and nicely illustrated. Scratch the surface of any field person and you'll find at least one horrifying/hilarious fieldwork story. Nice little glimpses into other people's work lives too.
Jessica
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was lucky enough to be apart of the Kickstarter for the book.

LOVED IT!

Great book about failings of scientists while they try to learn more about the animals or environments they are studying.
Mark
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I encountered this book through its Kickstarter project. The concept and the sample vignettes looked quite incredible and interesting, so I backed the project. I received the book (plus a few additional items for backing at a higher level) and was quite pleased by the final product and what it had become.

The book contains twenty-five short vignettes of "fieldwork fails" of individual scientists working out in the field. Some of these "fails" are minor annoyances, but a few could have been life-t
Lindsay
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and hilarious. Science #ftw
R.B. Lemberg
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was absolutely fantastic.
Preeti
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review of this awesome book coming shortly!
Marta
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even without the role I played in it, I couldn't give this wonderful book anything but a hard 5*. Really! I'm only 5% biased! (Ok, 7%)

Jim Jourdane's illustrations perfectly convey the scientists' anecdotes, boiled down to a single vignette without losing any of their depth or context. The layout is brilliant - you get a relatable laugh out of the short fail on one page, and on the next, your peaked curiosity is quenched by a visual yet very informative first-hand account of how the fail came to
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that's lovely to look at. I bought the digital version but if you had an office or a lab, a bound version would be fun to leave there so lots of people could enjoy it. Probably a great conversation starter!

Also - there are a lot of scientists for whom "ants in your pants" is either unbearably hilarious or the least funny phrase ever.
Raphael Fucítalo
Muito legal e engraçado, ensina muitas coisas, uma perigosas e outras nojentas.
Marina Alonso
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy divertido, lleno de anécdotas y datos científicos interesantes, y con unas ilustraciones realmente geniales. Me ha gustado mucho la estructura del libro, lo hace muy ameno e ideal para releer tus historias favoritas.

¡Deseando que se publique un Desventuras de la ciencia 2!
Michael
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardcover
It’s like a kids illustrated book. With SCIENCE! Fieldwork Fails tells scientists stories about times when nature finds a way... to be a pain or just downright humiliating. With some background on the fields in question this is a good source for kids and young adults to learn about what scientists do and what can happen in the real world.
Jessica
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the editor of this book so of course I'm biased. But I only became the editor because I so loved the concept and Jim's illustrations!
Solveig
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun and interesting illustrated tales of when science goes wrong, with some background added to the tweets illustrated.
Kam Yung Soh
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, science, nature, biology
An excellent and funny book about the various ways scientists fail in their endeavours while collecting or observing things in the field. The idea for the book started as a hashtag on twitter which then became a Kickstarter project which I was happy to back.

The general public might have the view that scientists are emotionless robots that collect data out in the field. As the book shows, scientists in the field are only human and tend to do silly things like gluing themselves to dangerous animal
Daniela
Adorei o livro. As ilustrações são ótimas e engraçadas e as histórias mostram que a ciência é uma prática, algo construído em relação com o mundo (com consequências para o cientista, para o conhecimento e para o mundo). Muito melhor aprender ciência assim do que como um catálogo a ser decorado como em muitas escolas.

Eu apenas gostaria que as histórias fossem um pouco mais desenvolvidas. Em uma ou outra o final ficou para a imaginação. Em outras a ilustração fugia bastante do incidente (apesar de
Rita Oliveira
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was part of the Kickstarter for this book and I really like it. The illustrations and stories are really good, and I can really see plenty more #fieldworkfail books being made, there’s just so much that can go wrong in the field! Great science book for kids too, it would make a great gift.
MirlieMeisterin
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing things I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
While it shares some hilarious "Fieldwork Fails" it also explains the research the scientists were doing. Really wonderfully done!
Pikobooks
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cette bande dessinée ludique et pédagogique est composée avec beaucoup de finesse, de couleurs et d'intelligence.
On y rit, on y apprend, on en veut plus ! :)

Chronique écrite :
Kat
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Beautifully illustrated vignettes about things going hilariously wrong in the field. As with many anthologies, the writing is uneven. Some vignettes explain what happened and how the scientist recovered from it, and others outline the research practices in that particular field.
Denise
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful book, showing the not always beautiful side of doing scientific work. Nature doesn’t always cooperate, and sometimes we’re just destined to have a bad day. The author has worked with several scientists to really grasp the ins and outs of how science actually happens!
Robyn Ryan
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute and educational.
Caitlin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Told in 25 illustrated vignettes, this book is a great tour of the messy side of being a scientist. I loved it, and hope Jim writes and draws another volume!
Anna
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The messy side of science. Adorable and hilarious
Rae
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A charmingly illustrated, funny—of course— and very informative work of science outreach. I’m proud to have helped crowdfund it and I hope to lend my copy to many friends.
J
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun look at what all is entailed in fieldwork, what goes wrong, and information about the people and the work they do. A lot of good fun. (And I'm glad people can laugh at themselves!)
Mrs. Porter
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
My daughter is a research scientist, this book gave me a peek into her world. So good to know that even the highly educated among us have bad days.
Outi
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very funny and informative. My only wish was for it to be longer.
Kate
Oct 07, 2017
Sita
Dec 04, 2017
Anne
Oct 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Communication Failure (Epic Failure, #2)
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • The Coyotes of Carthage
  • The Poison Squad: One Chemist's Single-Minded Crusade for Food Safety at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Mechanical Failure (Epic Failure, #1)
  • Dear Edward
  • Light from Other Stars
  • White Bird
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Stargazing
  • Does It Fart?: The Definitive Field Guide to Animal Flatulence
  • Taxidermy Art: A Rogue's Guide to The Work, The Culture, and How to Do It Yourself
  • O Cérebro Nosso De Cada Dia
  • The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code
  • A Longa Marcha dos Grilos Canibais