Start by marking “The Era of Lanterns and Bells” as Want to Read:
The Era of Lanterns and Bells

The Era of Lanterns and Bells

In The Era of Lanterns and Bells, a lighthouse is haunted by the memory of lighthouse keepers, a train operator is forever changed by a subway suicide, a journalist befriends a homeless virtuoso, an orca trainer believes she’s a whale, an aerialist runs away from the circus, and a Golden Gate Bridge jumper saves lives with fortune cookies. These lyrical, quirky, and darkly ...more
Published by Napili Press

To ask other readers questions about The Era of Lanterns and Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Era of Lanterns and Bells

Bandit
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often (even despite personal reservations) you take a chance on an unknown author and it turns out to be pure magic. Like this. What a lovely collection of short stories. And magic isn’t even that far off as descriptions go, because most of the veer into the magical realism territory. The lighthouse on the cover (haunted in its own way)…it hates the sea, because the sea has made ghosts out of the men who took care of it. See, I love these kinds of stories. Something ordinary made extrao ...more
Richard
I hate it when I have read a book I neither liked sufficiently to rant and rave in pleasure nor disliked passionately to slate and shout.
Yet in originality and concept each story is a potential masterpiece. That they fail to deliver or resonate in a secondary manner is what is so disappointing and leaves me verging on descriptive words like nice and average.
I perhaps expected too much from the blurb and wonderful title but that is a reflection of the project. Great ideas, interesting characters
Jule
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story about a sentient haunted lighthouse - I did not know I needed that, but apparently I do. I would have never expected that, but it was very atmospheric and well-written. That was just the one that stood out in its weirdness, but really all the stories in this collection have something elusive and vague to them, like the meaning is just beyond reach yet unobtainable. However, they are also very human and uplifting, if at times rather dark and serious. The combined message seems to be ...more
Michael  Berquist
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from netgalley in return for an honest review.

Ann Tinkham’s The Era of Lanterns and Bells is a vivid short story collection that is as captivating and calming as an ocean wave. This reviewer was especially entranced by the title story where a lighthouse narrates the lives of the people that look after her. This story was a unique point of view that I look forward to using in my secondary English classroom. I also found the stories about the colorful pools, fortune
Jantine Kampes
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the short stories in this book. Although they were short (and I would have loved to delve deeper into them, they would have been great if they had been longer too), they contained all that I look for in a story. The plot lines are good, the characters are fully fleshed out, and there are some interesting twists.

I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Mike McNally
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading Ann's short stories over the last 5 years.
Ann has an incredible imagination and it shows in all of her short stories. You become immersed in the stories right away and the endings are fantastic. She is wonderful at creating conflict and developing characters. I highly recommend The Era of Lanterns and Bells.
Jeri
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Each story was unique with well-drawn characters and lyrical prose. The author’s sense of humor and compassionate worldview are evident throughout the collection. I can’t wait to read the rest of her work!
Christine
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ann Tinkham has a rare combination as a writer: she is both funny and profound. This collection has so many fine stories in it - whether or not you usually read short stories, don't pass this one up.
Karen Emery
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyous Essays

Loved this book! A collection of quirky stories--when was the last time you read about a woman who believes she's a whale? While I liked some more than others, each essay was a real treat. This is an author to watch.
Mary
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories and this collection did not disappoint. Great variety of characters who convey important messages. Love the author’s sense of humor.
Fran
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short, lovely stories. While a different “voice” in each tale, the writing is consistently exceptional. Sad, magical, and beautiful.
Destiny Brown
Cindy
Dec 14, 2018
Holly Senecal
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes we do judge a book by its cover and it turns out to be a magical and unexpected journey between 2 covers (or swipes on a kindle :) This book is so captivating and beautifully written that I wanted to keep carrying it with me. It manages without being chaotic to fit a ton of content and emotion into a short amount of pages. It is an absolute must read!
Laurie
Jan 22, 2018
Lee Staes
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful treasure trove of short stories. I love these kinds of tales where a skillful author takes something mundane and through a great imagination and the power and magic of words weaves it into something quite extraordinary. Each story is exciting, original, and charming. I loved reading this little book. My thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lizw
Erika Bonaparte
Nov 13, 2018
Anneke van dijken
Dec 01, 2018
Ann Tinkham is a writer based in Boulder, Colorado. She is an anti-social butterfly, pop-culturalist, virtual philosopher, ecstatic dancer, political and java junkie. When she’s not tinkering with words, she’s seeking adventures. Ann has talked her way out of an abduction and talked her way into the halls of the United Nations. She hitchhiked up a mountain in Switzerland and worked her way down th ...more