Start by marking “The Era of Lanterns and Bells” as Want to Read:

The Era of Lanterns and Bells

In The Era of Lanterns and Bells, a lighthouse is haunted by the memory of lighthouse keepers, a train operator is forever changed by a subway suicide, a journalist befriends a homeless virtuoso, an orca trainer believes she’s a whale, an aerialist runs away from the circus, and a Golden Gate Bridge jumper saves lives with fortune cookies. These lyrical, quirky, and darkly ...more
Published by Napili Press

To ask other readers questions about The Era of Lanterns and Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Era of Lanterns and Bells

Start your review of The Era of Lanterns and Bells
Bandit
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often (even despite personal reservations) you take a chance on an unknown author and it turns out to be pure magic. Like this. What a lovely collection of short stories. And magic isn’t even that far off as descriptions go, because most of the veer into the magical realism territory. The lighthouse on the cover (haunted in its own way)…it hates the sea, because the sea has made ghosts out of the men who took care of it. See, I love these kinds of stories. Something ordinary made extrao ...more
Richard
I hate it when I have read a book I neither liked sufficiently to rant and rave in pleasure nor disliked passionately to slate and shout.
Yet in originality and concept each story is a potential masterpiece. That they fail to deliver or resonate in a secondary manner is what is so disappointing and leaves me verging on descriptive words like nice and average.
I perhaps expected too much from the blurb and wonderful title but that is a reflection of the project. Great ideas, interesting characters
Jule
A short story about a sentient haunted lighthouse - I did not know I needed that, but apparently I do. I would have never expected that, but it was very atmospheric and well-written. That was just the one that stood out in its weirdness, but really all the stories in this collection have something elusive and vague to them, like the meaning is just beyond reach yet unobtainable. However, they are also very human and uplifting, if at times rather dark and serious. The combined message seems to be ...more
Malvika Jaswal
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Contrary to what the title suggests, this is not a book about the era of lanterns and bells. This is a collection of extremely contemporary and very quirky stories that make you smile and sometimes scratch your head at the author's wonderful thought process.

I enjoyed all the stories in this collection, especially the one from which the book takes its title. All the stories are quick reads and just when you think that the author as turned a random everyday meeting or observation into an admittedl
Catherine Haynes
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
by Ann Tinkham

The extraordinary creativity of author, Ms. Ann Tinkham, has for sharing her stories; are a delight to read. Stories that explore the exceptional yet distinctive ways that people find; meaning in life and victories over the ridiculous. With a surprising point of view, that is convincing and ultimately moving; there is something about these characters' personalities, that cause a grin of recognition on the readers face.

Ann Tinkham knows how to whirl a s
Michael  Berquist
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from netgalley in return for an honest review.

Ann Tinkham’s The Era of Lanterns and Bells is a vivid short story collection that is as captivating and calming as an ocean wave. This reviewer was especially entranced by the title story where a lighthouse narrates the lives of the people that look after her. This story was a unique point of view that I look forward to using in my secondary English classroom. I also found the stories about the colorful pools, fortune
Jeffrey R. Mossler
Creative mind.

I very much enjoyed this collection of so
D c

I very much enjoyed this collection of creative and weird stories. Ann is obviously very in tune with nature, and I am sure living in the beauty of Colorado inspired her writing. I look forward to reading her other existing book and anything else she puts out.

Pat Eroh
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite types of books! This collection of stories offers weird but fantastic looks at some really wonderful characters. Some tragic, some inspirational, all are engrossing. I loved every single story in this book and am hoping that more will appear!

Elizabeth Grieve
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now, this was something different. The stories were interesting, some a bit more than others, but I am going to pay this writer a great compliment and say that the writing reminded me of Ray Bradbury (the highest of compliments!). Other writers have claimed to be like him, but fall far short.
Thanks to the publisher for a review copy.
Jantine
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the short stories in this book. Although they were short (and I would have loved to delve deeper into them, they would have been great if they had been longer too), they contained all that I look for in a story. The plot lines are good, the characters are fully fleshed out, and there are some interesting twists.

I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Rebecca Hill
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-reads
If you are looking for some inspirational stories of a different kind, then this is a book you need to check out. Terrible things happen everywhere, but these cute little stories can restore just a little faith in humanity, as well as give you a smile or two!

Loved this book, and I look forward to more works from this author!
Mike McNally
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading Ann's short stories over the last 5 years.
Ann has an incredible imagination and it shows in all of her short stories. You become immersed in the stories right away and the endings are fantastic. She is wonderful at creating conflict and developing characters. I highly recommend The Era of Lanterns and Bells.
Jeri
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Each story was unique with well-drawn characters and lyrical prose. The author’s sense of humor and compassionate worldview are evident throughout the collection. I can’t wait to read the rest of her work!
Christine
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ann Tinkham has a rare combination as a writer: she is both funny and profound. This collection has so many fine stories in it - whether or not you usually read short stories, don't pass this one up.
Karen Emery
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyous Essays

Loved this book! A collection of quirky stories--when was the last time you read about a woman who believes she's a whale? While I liked some more than others, each essay was a real treat. This is an author to watch.
Mary
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories and this collection did not disappoint. Great variety of characters who convey important messages. Love the author’s sense of humor.
Fran
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short, lovely stories. While a different “voice” in each tale, the writing is consistently exceptional. Sad, magical, and beautiful.
Tanya
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of dark but lovely stories which will take you on so many different journeys. Sit back and enjoy

Proforma
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am never at a loss to review a good book. Or a bad one. Not a loss of words, because words are my job.

But once in a while, I come across a rare treasure, and I find it very difficult to describe a rare treasure. My words fail me.

As they have in this case.

The best I can come up with does not do justice in the least to Ms Tinkham's collection of essays. But I do know a Stradivarius when I see one. So I'll say this:

You. Have. To. Read. This. Book. I don't care if you beg or borrow it, put it o
Oct 27, 2018
Fran
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jypsy
This book is nothing like the title suggests. It's a collection of short stories that are both odd and inspiring. I enjoyed them even though I'm not a fan of short story collections. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Mary Casey

• The Visibles
  • The Better Liar
  • Bitter
  • Speaking of Summer
  • Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • False Bingo: Stories
  • A Different Bed Every Time
  • Keeping Lucy
  • Takes One to Know One
  • Qué vergüenza
Ann Tinkham is a writer based in Boulder, Colorado. She is an anti-social butterfly, pop-culturalist, virtual philosopher, ecstatic dancer, political and java junkie. When she’s not tinkering with words, she’s seeking adventures. Ann has talked her way out of an abduction and talked her way into the halls of the United Nations. She hitchhiked up a mountain in Switzerland and worked her way down th ...more