Start by marking “A Peculiar People” as Want to Read:
A Peculiar People

A Peculiar People

Christians feel increasingly useless, argues Rodney Clapp, not because we have nothing to offer a post-Christian society, but because we are trying to serve as "sponsoring chaplains" to a civilization that no longer sees Christianity as necessary to its existence. In our individualistic, technologically oriented, consumer-based culture, Christianity has become largely irre ...more
Published December 12th 1996 by IVP Academic (first published November 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Peculiar People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Peculiar People

Longfellow
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-religion
While Clapp is not an academy-sponsored theologian, his effort here is in large part a theological one. Simply put, he desires to remind or inform us (the Church) of where we’ve come from, make us aware of where and what we are now, and propose an idea about who and what we should be becoming.

Clapp’s two important contextual points: to inform us of the historical reality of Constantinian Christianity (since Constantine declared Christianity the official religion of the empire, Christians have b
Adam Parker
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Rodney Clapp in his book A Peculiar People brought to the forefront of my mind the reality that the church is more than a mere spiritual, ethereal, individual entity, but more a corporate, physical, and political culture of its own. He essentially made me aware of the cultural spectacles through which I had been unconsciously viewing what I thought the church was in total. The author did a good job at pulling from the historical context through which the books of the Bible were written, and extr ...more
Craig Toth
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My hat is off to Rodney Clapp! This book is an important resource for helping Christians learn how much the wholesome gospel has been corrupted by unholy ways of thinking and doing that are standard operating procedures in modern Western cultures. The alternative is to embrace a life patterned after Jesus and early Christians. Then, we should hope, the world and the church will see more clearly what it means to be a "follower of Jesus." This book has the ability to help the church BE the church.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This treatment has so many good things going for it. It makes a wonderful, mature case for the centrality of the church, working through all the important questions attached to it. Clapp speaks of treating the church as a culture and, toward the end, church as a way of life. His prose is engaging and full of life. This would be a great book for a church study group. If someone wanted a basic, very accessible text on the topic of ecclesiocentrism I'd give them this.
Melissa
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
i'd give this 3.5 stars if i could. a lot of solid things to say regarding the christian community as culture, but 1. it starts of arrogant and snarky. 2. it was written 15 years ago and it is noticable. seems like this book is a response to the yuppie culture of the '80s. the church is dealing with different issues, now.
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful analysis of how the church has ended up where we are today, with suggestions for recovering ourselves. At this point, perhaps a bit dated in some of the references to contemporary culture, but not enough so that the message is lost.
Georgiana
Oct 03, 2015 added it
Shelves: religion
I have very mixed feelings about this book, and am deliberately not rating it until I make some sense of my reactions.
Mike
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good exploration into the idea that the church is a unique culture unto itself and what that means for the church in America today.
Evan Sherar