Start by marking “Jelly Roll” as Want to Read:
Jelly Roll

Jelly Roll

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In this jaunty and intimate collection, Kevin Young invents a language as shimmying and comic, as low-down and high-hearted, as the music from which he draws inspiration. With titles such as “Stride Piano,” “Gutbucket,” and “Can-Can,” these poems have the sharp completeness of vocalized songs and follow a classic blues trajectory: praising and professing undying devotion ( ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Knopf (first published January 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jelly Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jelly Roll

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanAriel by Sylvia PlathThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William Shakespeare
Best Poetry Books
1,854 books — 1,976 voters
Harlot by Jill Alexander EssbaumThe Complete Poems of James Dickey by James DickeyOlives by A.E. StallingsArmored Hearts by David BottomsAbide by Jake Adam York
Southern Poets
76 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsey
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Favorites:
"Ragtime," "Stride Piano," "Errata," "Rhapsody," "Lyre," "Evensong," "Interlude," "Late Blues," "Elegy, Niagra Falls"

Excellent use of enjambment/line breaks; wonderful richness of "simple" language, beautiful arc. Best book of poetry I've read in a while.
John Madera
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Witty, wistful, elegiac are among the hues of Kevin Young's blues, Jelly Roll's lyricism, incisiveness, and humor reminiscent of poems by Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Pablo Neruda, its oft-staccato and fragmentary lines deftly and evocatively fusing the "formal" and "colloquial," the result less code-switching than code-breaking. Highly recommended.
René
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Great collection of poems that tell the story of a relationship, using music--especially American music forms--to trace the emotional arc of the relationship and tie all the poems together. The language of the poems is musical, the voice decidedly American, often specifically African American. Some of the poems also hark of Emily Dickinson, in their use of long interruptive dashes and short but intensely thoughtful and emotional phrases. The early poems in the collection tend to be ...more
Kim
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you love music and poetry - you will really enjoy this one.
Steven
Mar 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Using a variety of rhythmic song forms, from “Cheer” (22) to “Ditty” (15) or “Country (& Western)” (79) to “Disaster Movie Theme Music” (84), Kevin Young’s third collection of poetry is an inspiring look at the intersection of music and poetry. The poems mostly deal with love and relationships, as seen through the shaded lens of an aged blues singer. But Young is a deft observer of current culture and he balances the melodramatic tone of his blues with humorous images and motifs from popula ...more
Bethany
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-class
This was absolutely fantastic. I loved his form; his words very very sparse, there were absolutely no extraneous or unnecessary filler words. I loved the shortness of the lines in most of his poems. I just think the form and style he uses is really great. That alone would make his poetry absolutely gorgeous.

What makes it even more gorgeous is the way he plays with sound. There are poems where the words or phrases don't really connect much to each other, but that doesn't matter because they sound
Diann Blakely
*Jelly Roll: A Blues* (Knopf), Kevin Young's third book, combines street talk and haiku, Africa and Georgia snow, decrescendos and dream talk. The free verse poems here have a jazzy, improvised feel; they're nonmetrical but rhythmically accomplished and highly syncopated. Perhaps the most dazzling, if seemingly minor, aspect of *Jelly Roll* is the titles, which signify Young's knowlede of music and his willingness to play with traditions in order to create a style entirely his own. "Busing," "Ro ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I'm a sucker for that spare semi-autistic voice that Emily Dickinson invented well nigh 150 years ago, and Kevin Young's variation of it (inflected with Langston Hughes blues rhythms and John Berryman backwards grammar) is fun (!) and unique. These are not "difficult" poems by any means, but they are blunt, unrelenting, and re-readable (especially the lust poems at the beginning).

I wish his sense of humor didn't depart him so thoroughly in the death poems at the end, and the tedious "Sleepwalki
Stacy Mar
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
i read quite a few poetry collections by contemporary authors. i usually 'doggy ear' my favorite poems. and while there are quite a few favorites in this book, i felt that the collection is so long that many of them began to blend together and sound alike.

the collection is simply too long. i also felt that the author is talented and has a unique voice, but way too much emphasis was put on the 'blues' aspect, rather than derive an original creativity/voice which the author has and that shines thr
Taryn
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Haven't read a book of poetry in a while and this was a pleasant surprise--found it by accident among the new releases at the library. His titles are all music-related--like "ragtime" and "jitterbug," "dirge" and "muzak"--so it was the theme that pulled me in, but the contents are surprising and sexy. I haven't enjoyed a new writer this much in a long time; definitely worth seeking out his first two books.
A
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
i stumbled on this in the library at univeristy. my favorite quote: from the poem "boasts": Wouldn’t be no fig leaf/ if I was Adam/ but a palm tree./ Once I danced all/ night, till dawn/ & I—who never/ did get along—/ decided to call a truce—/ my body/ buckets lighter,/ we shook hands/ & called it blues./ Mama, I’m the man/ with the most/ biggest feet—/ when I step out/ my door to walk the dog/ round the block/ I’m done.
Nolan Flavin
I will review this very soon! Let me just finish my homework first. But in the meantime, as a quick summary, this books has lots of creative metaphors, word play, and lyrical value, but ultimately fails to live up to its inspiration due to its often only half-successful attempts to imitate musical gernes and its over-all whininess.
Renee Jaspers
Oct 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
I absolutely hated this! It is was monotonous and boring. He loudly places himself in the "blues" poetry tradition (made famous by Langston Hues & Sterling Brown. He is young (as his name implies), but arrogant. It made me feel like this got published because it would sell well, versus actually being quality work. However, everyone has different tastes in poetry, so I'm sure some people loved it.
Shayla
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll admit, I don't read poetry often, so I liked this book, but I didn't LOVE it. I'm also not a big fan of blues and there is a blues musicality to these poems. There were a few that stuck out for me...ETUDE, MIC CHECK, PASTORALE, and ELEGY, NIAGARA FALLS. I do plan to check out his other books.
Jose
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of poetry of all time. I go back to this book whenever I need inspiration: the turns of words and phrases, the lust, love, and loss portrayed in the book, the imagery, all show what poetry is possible of creating.
Melissa
Kevin Young is one of the best poets I have ever read. You read the words on the pages with your eyes but they enter your head as music (dirty, gritty, blues). If I could I would wrap myself in his words and fall asleep to the rhythms that they create.
Elizabeth
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A little longer than most poetry collections, but that just means constantly being excited for the next poem you know is there, and reading in a joyful instead of labored way. If you don't like Kevin Young's work, there's really very little I can do for you.
Paul
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Big-time Belly Button Blues by Forever Young and Restless.
Kristin
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love. Poetry that oozes the blues. Language that rips out your guts. In a good way. For grown-ups.
Mely
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writer-poc, poetry
Gorgeous rhythmic poetry, sexy as all get out, sometimes funny, sometimes sad. I want all of Young's books RIGHT NOW.
H. Dair Brown
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of poetry, so I can only speak to my experience reading this. I loved it.
Peggy
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Kevin Young is for anyone who likes poetry and jazz. You can hear the music in his lines.
Cathryn Cofell
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading it again. Something about this book I keep returning to.
Cody
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of poetry. I love the way Young's work feels. It's so smooth and small and stilted, like Dickinson. Like it's trying so hard to be perfect, but also hardly cares.
Devin A.
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
i really like poem books by famous worldwide authors. great authors. if you read this book
you will be amazed
  • Cocktails
  • Middle Earth: Poems
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
  • Book of My Nights
Kevin Young is an American poet heavily influenced by the poet Langston Hughes and the art of Jean-Michel Basquiat. Young graduated from Harvard College in 1992, was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford University (1992-1994), and received his MFA from Brown University. While in Boston and Providence, he was part of the African-American poetry group, The Dark Room Collective.

Born in Lincoln, Nebraska, You
More about Kevin Young...

“Deep Song

let us float.
Joy is the mile-

high ledge
the leap—a breath

above the lip of the abandoned
quarry—belief