Start by marking “The Writing Revolution: A Guide to Advancing Thinking Through Writing in All Subjects and Grades” as Want to Read:

"HELP! My Students Can't Write!"

Why You Need a Writing Revolution in Your Classroom and How to Lead It.

The Writing Revolution (TWR) provides a clear method of instruction that you can use no matter what subject or grade level you teach. The model, also known as The Hochman Method, has demonstrated, over and over, that it can turn weak writers into strong communicators by

Published July 27th 2017 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Revolution

Start your review of The Writing Revolution: A Guide to Advancing Thinking Through Writing in All Subjects and Grades
Ken
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I received this book and saw that the foreword was written by Doug Lemov (author of Teach Like a Champion), it gave me pause. Uh-oh, I thought. Another one of those militaristic, formulaic how-to books on teaching.

Turns out, yes and no. Yes to the formulas and no to the militaristic excess. To her credit, author Judith C. Hochman all but acknowledges her writing formulas as training wheels that can and should come off as soon as a student learns to swim in the Sea of Syntax. All good. And
Kim Clifton
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a title that proclaims this method a "revolution," I was a bit concerned that it would show me that everything I've learned and taught is wrong. The good news is it's not. There's a huge emphasis on sentence expanding and combining, and a lot of outlines for paragraphs and essays. Pretty standard.

The revolutionary part is that writing instruction happens at all levels (sentence to paragraph), at all grades, and in all subjects. Usually the writing-across-content-areas ideas I hear for
Peter
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every teacher should read this book! Some of the best writing CPD I've ever had. Range of this book is from classroom practice to whole curriculum design - something for everyone.
Kate
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not in a position to implement TWR curriculum wholesale, but I love the approach of including quick writing mechanics activities into content area classes. I also appreciate the emphasis on working at the sentence level, teaching note taking explicitly and supporting the planning process for writing. All of these writing activities can be easily used tomorrow to support struggling readers.

The layout and organization of the book is not perfect. I started making lists of activities because
Corey Wozniak
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chapters 1 and 2 about SENTENCES are especially great; though the other chapters are also strong!! I’d like to pair this book with Don Killgallon’s books on sentence composing. I think it’ll do the trick.

##
Main bits in ch 1-2
- fragments or sentences (29)
- unscrambling sentences (31-
- conjunctions: because, but, so (40-43)
- **subordinating conjunctions: before, after, if, when, even though, although, since, while, unless, whenever (43-46)
- appositives (46-49)
- ** sentence combining (49-
Mira Prater
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is really instructional for non English teachers or any teacher who doesn’t provide a lot of writing instruction. I can’t say I learned anything new, but it was nice to see validation about what I already do in room 213.
Manderson
I didn't actually read most of this book, so please take this review with a grain of salt. I skimmed through a copy of my colleague's.

I'm an avid supporter of these methods and Hochman's approach to writing instruction, so my review doesn't reflect my belief in the efficacy of these methods. I wish every teacher were well-versed and trained in these methods, and I'm glad that Hochman finally put out something more readable and applicable than the handbook that has traditionally been handed out
Angela Rollins
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Writing Revolution is a worthwhile read because it provides numerous suggestions for teaching grammar in context as a method for improving student writing.

The Writing Revolution is a worthwhile read, but its contents and methodologies can seem a little rigid and overwhelming at times.

The Writing Revolution is a worthwhile read, so grab yourself a copy and take it slow.

As you can tell, Hochman's Because, But, So activity stuck with me. There a lot of great, easy to use grammar in context
Georgina
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many books publushed now for teachers to essentially undertake (and fund) their own CPD, it can be a challenge to know what's going to have the miat positive impact. I purchased and started reading this book when it was first published in the UK and immediately embedded the recommendations on improving sentences: then I got distracted. Having just completed it I am angry that I didn't find the time to absorb the full approach and therefore apply in my teaching. The practise outlined ...more
Lori
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Writing Revolution: A Guide to Advancing Thinking Through Writing in All Subjects and Grades offers practical advice on how to improve student writing starting at the sentence level, moving through paragraphs and essays. If you teach writing (and if you are a teacher then it means to some degree you do), it offers advice and research to back it of guiding strategies for students to be deeper thinkers and more successful writers.
Andrea
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought there were a lot of good strategies in this book for writing teachers. It breaks down lessons to do with students, including a scope and sequence for each grade. It talks about using the basics of writing--sentences--and how to build them into coherent paragraphs and multi-paragraph essays. I got a lot of good ideas out of reading this book. It's not very much on the "craft" of writing, but it focuses on the "mechanics" of writing good sentences.
Jacqueline Lewis
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Professional Development books I have read. It is very user friendly with a plethora of examples for all content areas and ability levels. We read this book as a faculty after a few teachers read and got really excited about the prospect of increasing student writing levels through strategies found in this book. If I had to pick one book for teachers to read this would be it.
Rosa Mitchell
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for writing interventions and activity ideas
Julie Kudish
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Practical activities I can start using right now that I think my students will really respond to!
Kathy
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read book on teaching good writing across the curriculum. Useful for all teachers in all subjects
Cheri Bushue wiegman
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this easy to read book about how to teach writing including pacing guide and interactive outlines and rubrics. I'm using it this summer with tutoring and can't wait to see results.
Wisdom
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practical Way to Teach Writing

TWR provides practical strategies to implement writing across subjects and grade levels. The focus on the sentence is uniquely key.
Katrina Nasca
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read to teach writing strategies to students in first grade through high school. I am very excited to follow the sequence this fall with my writers!
Nancy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well done guide to helping teachers at all levels and in all subjects help their students improve their writing. I'm already using it with my grandson at home.
Jessica Molyneux
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

This strategy is going to significantly improve my student's writing. Easy to follow and read. I recommend this to all teachers.
Alice
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb book that will transform the way I teach writing!
Cindy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to incorporating these strategies this year!
Mora
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every Child a Writer is the basis. Teach the (dang) sentence, grammar, and make writing relate to student's lives.
Beth
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very practical educator book to help student writing at all levels. Appreciated the notes about learning grammar inside of writing rather than as a separate unit.
Jeffrey Smith
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent section on incorporating grammar in reading and writing assignments.
Ivy
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very useful ideas for educators. However didn’t feel them as revolutionary. Also as a mom and not a teacher it is a little bit boring for me.
Michelle
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
There were some good tips in here, but I knew most of this already.
Ms. Stephens
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to incorporate this philosophy into my teaching of writing this year.
C Tytherleigh
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and practical. Looking forward to using some of the techniques in the classroom.
_Ms_J