Start by marking “The Quest of the Cubs (Bears of the Ice #1)” as Want to Read:
The Quest of the Cubs (Bears of the Ice #1)

The Quest of the Cubs

(Bears of the Ice #1)

For generations, the noble polar bears have ruled the Northern Kingdoms. But now, their society is on the brink of collapse. A group of power-hungry bears has seized control, and darkness is creeping across the snow.

Cubs First and Second don't know any of this. Although they're twins, they couldn't be more different. First loves imagining stories, while his dar
Published February 27th 2018 by Scholastic Press

Start your review of The Quest of the Cubs (Bears of the Ice #1)
GuineaPigFalconer
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a kids animal book in a long time, but I had a lot of fun reading this! I loved the author's Guardians of GaHoole series (and now I feel like I'll have to read it again someday, cause I know I forgot so much) and the Wolves of the Beyond series. This story takes place in the same world but with polar bears.
The hints of history and worldbuilding were all very neat, and quite honestly I'm looking forward to reading more stories in the owl world that I now remember loving.
Mark Buxton
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm called First, and my mother has left my sister and I alone in the polar region of Ga'Hoole. We've decided we'll try to find our father in the hunting grounds, but we only know we need to travel north. We wish our mother had taught us to hunt before she left, since it's hard to survive blizzards and dangerous creatures when you're weak from starvation. We've also heard stories about Tick Tocks and some kind of machine, but this mystery makes me uneasy. I think rogue bears are behind it, but I ...more
Leyla
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I liked the story but didn't agree with some things. As a Christian I don't believe in false worship. In the book the Cubs on more then one account pray to their god Ursa. And I was willing to let it slide the first time, but then they kept doing it. And so because of that this series has been marked by me DNF. I will not be recommending this book to anyone.
Ms. Yingling
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

Two bear cubs are born in Nunquivik, north of Ga'Hoole. Their father is off hunting in the far, far north, and their mother has been approached by Roguers, who want to take her cubs to work for the Timekeepers of the Ice Cap, who believer their work with clocks somehow keeps the ice from melting. Svenna offers herself instead, so she trains her unnamed cubs as best she can and leaves them with Taaka, a relative with thre young cubs of her own
Annie (Putt)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the sequel of this in a thrift store and immediately put the first book on hold at the library. More in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole world? Yes, please.

Let me preface this by saying I read and enjoyed all fifteen plus books of the Owls' world. Wolves of the Beyond was enjoyable but, oh boy, did it get weird. Bears of the Ice starts at the level of weird that Wolves of the Beyond ended with, but with each chapter, it's ramped up a notch.

I'm flabbergasted at some of th
Frost
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like the worldbuilding in this book had some SERIOUS issues--mainly that the characters were way too anthropomorphized. I was willing to suspend my disbelief for Guardians of Ga'Hoole with owls being able to read, write, fight with swords, forge armor, etc, because birds do have the ability to grip tools and such. But I cannot suspend my disbelief for a snow leopard drinking hot chocolate with some bear cubs. What is this? Zootopia? And the oatmeal??? Snow leopards are obligate carnivores ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Quest of the Cubs (Bears of the Ice #1) by Kathryn Lasky, 225 pages. Scholastic Press, $17

Language: PG; Violence: G; Mature Content: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

In a Post-apocalyptic world, expressed by the bears as the Great Melting, the Bears’ culture has disintegrated. The cubs are searching for their mother because unknown to them she has traded herself to save them from being sacrificed. She leaves her beloved
Ellen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew! Readers of Lasky will know that one of the hurdles reading her books is keeping up with all the strange names and vocabulary that liberally pepper her fantasy. Bears of the Ice is certainly no exception. Fans of Ga'Hoole will recognize this offshoot of the extremely popular series and will no doubt feel right at home here. I, who am only loosely acquainted with that universe, felt a little worn down by the sheer enormity of it all.

The essence of this new series is an arctic uni
Larry
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I often 'read along’ (and encourage) my young reader friends With this book, the first in the series “Bears of the Ice”, I would be careful in recommending it to the youngest of 'good readers'. Younger children might find in a little scary. In fact, initially, I thought it a little unsettling. It begins with ‘evil’ bears – Rougers – coming to take cubs from their mother. The mother sacrifices her freedom and, of course, the cubs escape and the adventure to find and save their mother and father b ...more
Abigail Earle
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
My daughter chose this book at the school book fair completely because it is about polar bears. Let me tell you, even she couldn't stand this book. It was terrible, confusing, trying to have a plot that was way too complicated for the age that would pick up this book. It was also terrifying, talking about murder and blood a lot (and not natural, we have to eat to survive murder. This was like, we kill baby polar bears to use their blood to lubricate the gears of a clock fucked up murder.) The en ...more
Joann Rodriguez
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shawna Busby
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was shocked with the graphics of blood and murder in this book. It also jumped all over the place and it was hard to stay with the plot. I understand it is the first book of a series but I will not be looking forward to reading the second book. To me, this book was really dark and violent. A mother not feeding her young to a clock gear murdering young cubs. And the Roguers wow, they were deranged bears. The young cubs did manage to stay together and bring in a Third cub. They worked well toget ...more
Leonard Kim
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t get anything from this book, but maybe that’s because, even though this is the first of a new series, there have been many previous books set in this world, none of which I’ve read? For example, I loved Hartman’s Tess of the Road, but someone I recommended it to, who hadn’t read the prior series set in the same world, thought the world-building felt off. So I am giving a small benefit of the doubt that something similar may be playing into my reaction here.
AaronB
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very enjoyable. There are two cubs who have had their mother taken to someplace they don't know. They go on many adventures to go North to try and find their father. They meet many other bears along the way including one evil one who tries to send them to death. They eventually reach the evil place where their mom is working and they barely escape the guards. They are then sent to go find their father so they can take down this evil place and stop cubs from being killed.
Pbean
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A group of Roguer Bears have taken control of the Polar Bears Northern Kingdom. They have been taking bear cubs away from their mothers. When they come for Svenna’s twins, First born Stellan and Second born Jytte, she makes a deal to go with the Roguers to be of service to the Mistress of the Hands herself so her cubs will be spared. The cubs then set out on their own across the ice to find their father and to save their mother. A cute tale of family, friendship, and survival.
Dawn
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My seven year old daughter and I loved this book, we can’t wait for the second one (already pre-ordered it)! We did not find this book disturbing and my daughter was able to understand and follow along. If there was anything bad at all to say about this book it is that some of the names were very hard for her to pronounce, but this is such a minor thing. My daughter and I would most definitely recommend this book!
Celia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am an 8 year old boy and this was one of the best books of my life! I only got to read it because of my
book fair at school. I got so addicted that I started it Wednesday ended it Saturday which is today. Rate this book high remember it is good! There is only a few big pictures every once in a while! And it
describes things well! So read this book to see polar bear cubs go on an epic quest!
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a super cute! I had no idea that it was set in the world of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, now I feel like I need to read that entire series! But either way i really like this one and cannot wait to read the 2nd one!

I loved the sibling dynamics between the two, and how they have these powers! It was so much fun to read about it! I also love Polar Bears so that was just the cherry on top!
Bobbie Gilbert
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good new series.

Good new series! I like that this is a brother/sister family stick together story. I believe I would recommend this to higher 5th grade and 6th grade students. I chose this rating because the story is good and it flows well. The writing is good. Easy to follow but not simple. The ending had me wanting more of their story.
Katya Zablocki
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Awesome juvenile fiction! I think that there's a very compelling mythology to this series, and I'm very excited for the next book. This one set up a great story and introduced interesting characters and their dynamics. Would definitely recommend to people who enjoy books about bears! :-)
McArthur Library Staff Picks
Animal fantasy - adventure is my favorite genre and this is definitely one of the best ever! If you're a fan of Erin Hunter's "Warriors" series this is a "must read"!! The world is changing, an evil force is trying to take over - how can two bear cubs make a difference? Read and fall in love.
Ellen Hamilton
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting, and quite sad too. I would love to read the next book in the series. I feel like I must find out what happens to Stellan, Jytte, and Third and if they find Svenna and their Da, and if they manage to stop the terrible cult of the Timekeepers.
Krystyl Farmer
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carmel
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
“The Belong ..........Was it a place? Or just a feeling?” So glad Kathryn Lasky has started a new series. Sure to be a hit!
Jen
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 2/3 stars
Kendrick
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this book because of the action involved, but I personally would like more violence/action.
Andrew
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, review soon
Mary
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant beginning to another exciting and immersive adventure, written by a talented author.

• The Last (Endling #1)
  • Code of Honor (Bravelands, #2)
  • The Poison Jungle (Wings of Fire, #13)
  • The First (Endling #2)
  • Ice Dogs
  • The Hive Queen (Wings of Fire, #12)
  • The Sight (Warriors: Power of Three, #1)
  • The Prince Warriors (The Prince Warriors, #1)
  • Julius Zebra: Rumble with the Romans!
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • Life on Mars
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • Predator Vs Prey (Going Wild #2)
  • The Quest Begins (Seekers, #1)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • The Unteachables
  • The Flame of Olympus  (Pegasus, #1)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.

She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of t15,

Bears of the Ice (3 books)
  • The Den of Forever Frost (Bears of the Ice #2)
  • The Keepers of the Keys (Bears of the Ice #3)