Start by marking “Heart Of Destiny: Book One Of The Heart Of The Citadel” as Want to Read:
Heart Of Destiny: Book One Of The Heart Of The Citadel

Heart Of Destiny: Book One Of The Heart Of The Citadel

(Heart of the Citadel #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Magic suppressed. Magic exiled. Magic murdered. During the Great Purge, all magic was destroyed and those who could wield it were driven into exile. From that time on, the world of Gaia churned on in relative peace and prosperity.
When the emperor of the central Citadel suddenly dies, his apprentice takes his place. Benevolent and loved, the new emperor is a benign ruler,
Published August 7th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Heart Of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Of Destiny

Teri

I think this is a pretty solid start to a series. I had a few issues with it. There are so many characters, with no focus really on anyone in particular, so while I appreciated what we learned from the perspectives, there was just a lot of them without too much depth. I reckon we get it as we move along. I like the idea of the Djinn and dragons and their witches/wizards. Our villain is...pretty fucking evil...I usually like my bad guys to have some depth to where maybe we can almost sym
Tera Comer
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I was truly impressed by the characters and world building. I really enjoyed reading this book and had a hard time putting it down, and can not wait to see what transpires in the future books.
Seraphia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart of Destiny by Susan Faw is book one in her Heart of the Citadel series. Right from the beginning, we are introduced to several characters in the middle of a fight. We are immediately introduced to Marion. She is a witch bonded with a dragon and Djinn who is a dragon shifter. They are fighting to save not just Gaia but the entire world that they live in. The Emperor is out to destroy all magic or enslave it. Marion and her triad fail in this fight but live to fight another day. The story ju ...more
Lana
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great and thrilling read about magic and its suppression by a tyrannical emperor who wants to own and control all magical power himself! The witches/healers and wise women have been burnt and their dragons killed, however children infused with magical powers are still being born, they are the owners of the crystal hearts and the emperor wants to get hold of these too. However the girls are taken by the Jintessa to the islands across the sea in the South to be trained and to form triads with di ...more
Rosemary Hughes
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A complicated story line, with young girls abducted and whisked away on dragons, young boys trained who are the brothers to the girls who were abducted and a diabolical emperor, who will stop at nothing to control everything. This being the first of the series, it lays out some of the background information to understand the world depicted in these stories.
I found some of the story inconsistent , or even missed. Like a child and grandfather, who disappeared but to where. The Djinn were not supp
Lokdyer
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes magic, dragons, and strong characters
This is the first book of this series and sets the stage for the future books. You find out that witches here are not evil; they do only good. You meet the ten girls destined to save their individual provinces. Each one forms a triad merge with her own dragon and Dragonmerger (shapeshifter). Things are not always as they appear. Emperor Madrid is actually seeking to control all magic in the kingdom rather than destroy it. He is truly evil, using whatever means necessary to get what he wants. Bec ...more
Tony
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
A curates egg.

This book is frustrating: by turns evocative, malevolent and childish.

The writing is inconsistent. The characters are many and shallow. I’m not even sure who the protagonists are.

But here and there the flashes hint of an engaging series which this volume is nothing more than stage setting.

It’s hard to recommend it. It’s equally hard to say ‘don’t bother.’

If you like villains with no redeeming qualities, dragons with pet names, Mary-Sue shapeshifters, and heroines with no depth, th
Kaye
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SMOKES!!!
If you're looking for a fast paced, easy to follow, hard hitting, smooth flowing read that captivates you from the start. Congratulations my friends you've found it. The characters and scenes are so realistic they capture your attention and hold until the last word. It was fascinating watching the characters and their personalities transform and blend. The detailed descriptions paint a vivid picture. You can feel the tension in the air as you sit on the edge of your seat. Susan did
John
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the opening salvo in what could be an almost epic saga between good and evil, as Ms Faw has said she hopes to have 12 or 13 books in the series. This was a very enlightening and formidable buildup to the upcoming battle or wars between the magic and non-magic realms. Her characters include witches, wizards, djinns and of course dragons. Definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series when it comes out. This is a voluntary review of an Advanced Reader Copy of the bo ...more
Bob Morton
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
An engaging fantasy adventure. Magic has been banned, or so it seems. 12 young girls go missing from the 12 provinces of the known world, that is run from the citadel. There is bad on the way, but who are the good people and who are the bad.

Engaging to the end. And a setup for a future series.

I received a free copy as a beta reader. I looked for editing problems. This is an honest review.
Patrick Hodges
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book, and a promising start to the series.

It was an enjoyable read, though it felt very much like character development was sacrificed in order to build the world. There are many characters, both male and female, whose stories I look forward to reading as the series progresses, but I got very little in-depth analysis of those characters in this book. About the only character we really got to know was Madrid. (That dude is EEEEEEEVIL.)

All in all, a good story.
Raewynn
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little story that sets the theme for the next and future books.
It is fast paced and outlines who the goodies and baddies are.
Susan Faw has a knack of writing a story that immediately grabs the reader and doesn't let them go until it spits you out at the end.
I can't wait to find out what happens from here.
If you haven't read any of Susan's books, grab this one and jump right in. You won't be sorry!
Well done again Susan!
LooseBoots
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This for me was a very intense book with lots to take in. But its the same with any new series. It is worth persevering as all becomes clear and you become aware of the motives plots counter plots. Plus a taste of what is up come . Don't take my word for it but it's awesome . Looking forward so much to the rest of the series.
Ola Adamska
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
This was a great introduction to the new fantasy series. There is not much action in this one only an outline of future events and who is who in the end. We get to know suspicious motives of Madrid - the bad guy here, and heart bearers that will try to defeat him in order to protect their home - 12 provinces.
I can't wait to read next book of this series (and there will be even 11 more!)
Joanne Hampton
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strong characters with such a variety of people. Wonderful storyline. Dragons, Djinn and magic in this book and the control of the Citadel with a guy named Madrid. To control everyone with magic and kill the dragons. Children taken away from their homes for training to fight each other. Loved reading this book. I received a complimentary copy of this book.
Roger
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first read from author Susan Faw. I got this book back in April of this year & I’m just getting around to reading it. A thoroughly entertaining well-written read that has all the makings of an epic with likable, well-developed characters that make you want to read more by this author! (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
Phthon
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an auspicious beginning to a new series! I really enjoyed reading this and had a bad time putting it down. I was very disappointed when I got to the end. I can hardly wait for the next book to continue the story.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has potential but I found it very hard to read. When I saw the author had about 12 books planned I decided I was happy with the first book and not really keen on plodding through 11 more. The writing just couldn't keep me interested. Disappointing as this really has potential to be great
Mary King
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this story it has a great story line and the character are great and there is a battle for control of magic that cant stay in the hands of the wrong side. i received a copy of this for a honest review
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Different type of Dragon story with riders and sharpshooter that go back to millions past where factions are at war.
Linda7600
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is my first read by this author and I’m thoroughly impressed by her story telling. The story is tightly woven with magic, history and above all fantastic characters!!! 💜💜
Alan T
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dragons

Interesting start to a series with dragons. The Emperor is attempting to gain control of all magic and the dragons. Excellent plotting and characterization.
Cyber
John Morgan
Sep 07, 2017
Veray
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is well written with wonderful world building and interesting characters. This first book is a great setup to the rest of the series which should also be amazing. If you like magic and dragons and evil villains you will love this series.
Ann Hannaway
rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2018
Diane
rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2018
Julie Hillman
Aug 05, 2017
A lover of unusual worlds, Susan is a masked crusader for the fantastical world. Championing mythical rights, she quells uprisings and battles infidels who would slay the lifeblood of her pen. It’s all in a night’s work, for this whirlwind writer. Welcome to the quest.

Dante Rossetti Grand Prize awarded for Best Young Adult Fiction of 2016, Chanticleer Reviews, for Seer of Souls.

First in Category,

Heart of the Citadel (3 books)
  • Heart of Tyr: (Book Two of The Heart of the Citadel)
  • Heart of Shadra (Heart of the Citadel, #3)