Start by marking “Code for Murder” as Want to Read:
Code for Murder

Code for Murder

Published July 26th 2017 by Black Rose Writing (first published July 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Code for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code for Murder

Denise
Aug 13, 2017 added it
Cleveland Police Lieutenant Stacy Tavitt investigates the murder of a Browns football player, Devon Baker. Clues and forensic evidence are mostly absent and progress is slow as she and her partner, Sergeant Austin Cerrera, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Gavin Knox, and others question his known friends and associates. Then another player is killed. Stacy and her team try to put separate pieces together to catch a killer.

Lots of description and detail, plenty of action, and a romance. Despite those i
Cheryl
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Bit of a rough ride. Did an earlier version go to print instead of the finished manuscript? Gotta admit I'd originally abandoned this launch of a Cleveland, Ohio, detective series at Chapt. 1 due to the lack of content edits and my disbelief in the main character's reasoning skills. Giving it another whirl, I found the first half exciting, well-researched and meticulously well-plotted, but beginning midway, the increasingly pervasive, aforementioned problems compounded by the innumerable errors ...more
Diane
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Code for Murder, A Stacy Tavitt Mystery by author Eliot Parker is continuous action and suspense! The police crime thriller is well written and the characters are believable. The story opens as Lieutenant Stacy Tavitt while on a stake out impulsively takes a chance to prevent a boat leaving the dock before her backup arrives. She has cuffed one of the men unloading boxes of a white powdery substance and is seeking to find her missing informant, Jamal Harris. She is attacked and thrown overboard ...more
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: CODE FOR MURDER by Eliot Parker

Since her near-death in the Cuyahoga River, caused by a pair of criminals with few brain cells, Detective (now Lieutenant) Stacy Tavitt of the Cleveland Police Department has become a cold-hearted individual, a strong investigator but with difficulty in interpersonal encounters. When the corpse of a professional football player is discovered outdoors, the wounds clearly indicating a crime of passion, Stacy finds herself floundering in an unknown milieu, her
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B074B52BFL
Reviewed For NetGalley and Black Rose Writing
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.75 Stars

Cleveland Police Lieutenant Stacy Tavitt is nearly killed when an undercover assignment falls apart. She is left for dead after being attacked and thrown into the freezing waters of the Cayaho
Jayne
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I do like a good murder, and the vicious stabbing of a handsome, popular US football player heralded a promising start. The novel is packed with familiar themes; the anti-social female detective with a complicated private life and severe health issues, the seemingly popular victim who has dark secrets, a drugs deal that goes horribly wrong, and a handsome, out-of-reach-because-he’s-married colleague. This is good thing when it provides anchorage for a plot that becomes quite involved.

This book i
Quillracer
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: freebie
The only positive thing I can say about this book is it was free.

The writing here is very basic, as if geared to a pre-teen. In many places, it’s stiff, reading as if it was generated by a computer instead of created by a real person.

Some sentences made no sense. I read A burst of hallow hair coursed around her as she entered. a dozen times and still have no idea what it means.

There are also continuity errors galore:
1/ In the first 7 chapters, Parker mentions 4 times the story is set in Septemb
Eliot Parker
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Lisa McCombs for Readers' Favorite
Stacy Tavitt is hot on the trail of Jamal Harris, making this a combination of personal/professional investigation. Not only does she feel responsible for informant Yolanda’s young child, but finding Jamal might bring her closer to solving the mystery behind the murders happening among the Cleveland Browns' football players. Not really a football enthusiast, Lieutenant Tavitt juggles her handicap of sports knowledge with the facts that are spread out
Jeremy Reppy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has a great, complex plot revolving around the mysterious death of a Cleveland Browns player and the ensuing police investigation, led by Lieutenant Stacy Tavitt. The story is full of twists and turns, including a connection to a prior case of Lieutenant Tavitt's, which the reader learns about in the beginning of the book. The characters are interesting and fairly well-developed. The author is good at setting a scene and providing details to help the reader feel like they part of the a ...more
Gene Turchin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eliot Parker has constructed a page turner murder mystery novel set in Cleveland. He does a superb job of writing from the point of view of a female detective in the city of Cleveland. The reader gets a genuine feel for the city, which I think, is in itself a character in this novel and the thought processes of a female detective. His protagonist is Lt. Stacy Tavitt who has suffered a traumatic life altering encounter with one of the cities underbelly characters. Her life is further complicated ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Code for murder by Eliot Parker.
An overzealous decision by Cleveland Police Lieutenant Stacy Tavitt leads to a botched undercover investigation, leading to Stacy being attacked and her unconscious body dumped into the frigid Cuyahoga River. Six months later, Stacy’s first case back from medical leave involves the murder of Cleveland Browns football player Devon Baker. With little forensic evidence connecting anyone to the crime, Stacy sets out to find the killer. As Stacy comes very close to unr
Allyson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley the publishing house and most of all, the author, for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

I have to say, I thought this was going to be a good book. I was wrong. This book had a good storyline, but the problems with editing and spelling ruined it for me. I am not in law enforcement, but even I knew that some things seemed implausible or wrong, perhaps these things could have been picked up by editing.

I didn't find the main character, Stacy, wa
Angela
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. This was a new to me author, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This story is rock solid. It takes so many twists and turns. This was one of the few stories that I honestly didn't know how the end was going to happen or who was committing the murders. I couldn't stop reading until the last page. I can't wait to read the next one. This is a solid five-star page turner the likes of which you haven't seen lately. I have been looking for a good suspense and this definitely fit the bi ...more
Laurie Beemer
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very well written police procedural with a determined female detective, her partner Austin and Gavin the new Assistant County Prosecutor. They are the trail of a murderer and the trail leads them through many twists and turns of suspense and intrigue. What starts as one murder becomes something else entirely and the way that this story plays out leaves the reader wanting the next book. Thank you NetGalley and Eliot Parker for allowing me to read and give an honest review of this book.
Teresa Stump
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book was good, plot and characters were interesting, and had plenty of action and suspense. Didn’t figure out who killer was until author revealed who. Which is good, that doesn’t usually happen for me.
Stacy and Austin were detectives, who were looking into who killed a NFL player for the Cleveland Browns, Devon Baker. There is a few other murders that happen, until the big reveal. Overall a very good book, and no problem recommending.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am vo
Joyce
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
1 star

“Stacy pressed her lips tightly against her face.” Huh? Seriously? Oh, Stacy, Stacy, Stacy. It seemed every other sentence started with “Stacy…” Too much of this book is more than a little boring and very slow moving. I’m sorry, but there are far too many books to read to spend time on one like this.

I want to thank NetGalley and Black Rose Writing for forwarding to me a copy of this book to try out.
Anne G. Kasaba
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book which ran parallel stories each compelling. The first was the professional life of a police lieutenant and the second her personal life dealing with a life changing medical condition caused by her work. I would have given it a 4 1/2 Star rating but there was some very poor proofing done. I had to keep checking to see what I had read was correct or try to figure out what the author meant to say.

I received an arc of this book and voluntarily provided a review .
Karen
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CODE FOR MURDER
If you love suspenseful police procedurals and crime mysteries this is a book you will want to read. The main character, Stacy Tavitt is a gung-ho detective who gets herself into hot water while investigating the murder of a NFL football player. Mr. Parker does not disappoint with his fast-paced story telling. I will gladly give CODE FOR MURDER 5 stars for excellent writing and a suspenseful story.

Teresa
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

I was given a copy of this book through Booksprout and mistakenly thought it was prepub. When I went to review, I was quite surprised to discover it had been released 8 months ago. Why has no one edited this! The mistakes were very distracting. I kinda enjoyed the mystery but really didn't care for the heroine at all. She seemed too impetuous to be a convincing police detective, especially to be considered one of the best.

Rhonda White
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is well written except for some of the language. I guess that's to be expected in some books. It is fast paced and held my interest. I didn't expect the villain to be who he was. But the ending...what happened to her brother? I like books to answer all of my questions. So, I guess I'll have to read the next one.

Tammie Browning
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy from Booksprout. This is my honest review.
This is an action packed and suspenseful read. It keeps you guessing. The main character is a very strong female in a leader position. I love it shows females can be strong leaders.
I hope there is a second book coming. It ended with a cliff hanger.
I only gave it four stars because of the lack of editing. There are a lot of errors.
Tonia Amet
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book but the errors throughout this book made it impossible for me to enjoy it. A lot of the descriptions throughout the book were unnecessary which made the book a little dull. The description of the book is what truly drew me in but it didn't "flow" enough for me to keep my interest. Like I stated, it has the potential to be a great read but it needs a bit of work.

Molly
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime and thriller fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
an exciting read with edge of your seat thriller and psychological drama!

awesome powerful female Captain and Lieutenant.

Add some family drama to the crime and politics - can't wait to see what happens next!

Tanya
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
she had been over confident on an undercover job which left her suffering. she is finally back but life could be repeating itself when she get another case. will the past catch up with her? can she fully recover this time? see where this will go

Misty Goan
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a interesting, entertaining mystery. Although it didn't have very many characters it still had you in suspense trying to solve. It left you hanging at the end not knowing what happened to the brother but the rest of the ending had a good twist.

Linda
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read one of Mr. Parker's books until this one and I must say I am impressed.

The story line was interesting, the characters believable, and the setting perfect. Plus Mr. Parker is a wonderful writer from my home state of West Virginia, and I liked this book so much I intend on reading some of his others.

Highly recommended!
Hayley
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and Stacy Tavitt as a lead character. Will certainly read additional books in the series as they become available. I'm not familiar with Black Rose Writing as a press. I agree with others' comments that the editorial errors (typos and some continuity issues) become distracting. Black Rose needs to step it up!
InD'tale Magazine
“Code for Murder” has a little something for everyone.

Read full review in the 2017 November issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Martha Brindley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I really did want to enjoy this book but it was too slow for me. I struggled to like the character of Stacy but she is beyond irritating. I am sorry to say, I gave up reading halfway through.Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Sheryl Howard
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Spine tingling, edge of your seat, and don’t blink; it’s a mystery after all. This is packed with action a storyline that will keep you guessing. However, there are errors with grammar.

Eliot Parker teaches writing and literature at Mountwest Community and Technical College in Huntington, West Virginia, and hosts the television show “Chapters,” which profiles authors, editors, and publishers in West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. He received the West Virginia Literary Merit Award in 2016, as well as the Bronze Award for Mystery/Thriller Writing from the National Literary Habitat O ...more