Start by marking “Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined #1)” as Want to Read:
Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined #1)

Fated: Cinderella's Story

(Destined #1)

All Cinderella wants is to take care of her family.

After working tirelessly for five years to prove herself among the city’s elite, she’s about to graduate and win a coveted spot in city government. Then it all blows up in her face—literally.

A violent, anonymous force has been targeting commoners in horrifying attacks. Now they’ve set their sights on Cinderella. Either tha
Published August 31st 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Fated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fated

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
I really like fairy tale re tellings when they are done well and this was done really, really well. In fact this may have been the best re telling of Cinderella that I have ever read. I recently of Kindle Unlimited for a free trial (I think I am keeping it!) and as I was looking through the books New Years Eve I came across this. I was unsure about picking it up but I am so glad I did.

The usual tropes of fairy tales were turned upside down here. The evil Stepmother? Not so evil! The mean, ugly a
Coralie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fated, book 1 of the Destined series by Kaylin Lee was an excellent debut in my opinion! We all know how much I love fairy tales and I've been on a bit of a fairy tale kick lately, but this spin on Cinderella was quite unique and certainly intriguing. I opened the book to read the prologue or maybe just chapter one to see what I might think...next thing I know I was three fourths the way through the book and up way past my bedtime.

Fated features a unique setting--possibly my favorite part of the
Ashley Stangl
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
A Cinderella retelling that gets lots of points for creativity. It twists the story in interesting ways--the stepmother and stepsisters are kind, Cinderella has lots of reason for working so hard--and ties in other fairy tales. The world-building is the best part. No generic fairy tale kingdom here--this takes place in a slightly 1930s-flavored city that has a lot of detail to the history, political and class structure, and magic system. The plot has too much happening for the length (it feels l ...more
Kristen Kooistra
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is probably the most unique spin on Cinderella that I've read. I'm not a fan of Cinderella's story for many reasons, but this handled those amazingly. Cinderella is not a weak-willed, broken person. She's determined, smart, ambitious, and kind.

She wins the rare honor to attend the Academy where if she graduates well she can improve her family's circumstances. Instead of being cruel, her step-mother and sisters(who aren't really related) are generally nice people who unfortunately n
Catherine ~Whatever you are, be a good one~
This book was good, I just wish it wasn't a retelling. The world-building was incredible, and this book would be even more incredible if it was completely its own plot. I dislike how Ariella's life was never the same after meeting this guy, and she couldn't go on without him. It really took away from her heroic character in my opinion. The lovers' quarrels also deteriorated my respect of the characters. The characters were mostly good, however. One was very interesting to peel back the layers of ...more
J.M. Stengl
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series has an dystopian feel to it, set in a carefully crafted fantasy world with a caste system based on magic and political power. The Cinderella character works hard to support her family and raise their standard of living against incredible odds. She is an interesting character who never quits, even when plagued by self-doubt along with an oppressive system and evil mages. Her love interest is a mage who's been dumped from the system because of his weak magic and lazy rebellion.

This is
Angi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 This one was really hard for me to get into. It starts off quickly but because of the unexpected world it takes place in, the story was confusing. By the time I started to understand the world the story seemed a bit tedious. So I took a break and read some other books before I came back to this one. I did like the story, I liked how everything ended up but I probably won’t read the rest any time soon. Until I’m in the mood for dystopian, this felt more dystopian than reimagined fairytale. In ...more
Hallie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
If not for this group, I would have never come across this book, and that would be a shame. This is a really good retelling of Cinderella with the right amount of almost everything. Ugh I forgot to take highlight quotes and I'm too lazy to search for them again, so someone remind me to add the quotes some other time. Anyway, I had high expectations for this and it pretty much met my expectations, so yay!

Ella lives with her "stepmother" Zel and "stepsisters" Alba and Bri in a city called Aslyia w
Merie Shen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book! Fated was a very unique twist on a beloved fairytale. It was well-written and easy to follow with a nice plotline that kept you guessing. It’s not dark, but it’s a nice reprieve from the fluffier, more lighthearted fairytale reads
The main character, Ella Stone, is strong-willed and determined, an admirable heroine whose plight was believable and sometimes even relatable. How often have we all felt despised and scorned when we find ourselves out of place? And
Gabriela
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. There was a strong base and a really interesting idea for a retelling especially of Cinderella which has always been one of my least favorite fairy tales.

First, the strong points. The world the author created was fantastic, well-built, and unique for the genre from what I have read previously. Her descriptions were clear enough to build an image without having to get into such minute detail as to distract from the story. Also, as I stated previo
Brittany Shears
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun take on the Cinderella tale.

My favorite part was probably how much Ella loved her family and her perseverance despite the anger or hopelessness she was tempted to feel. After she is scarred, both physically and emotionally, and literally all of her plans and dreams are obliterated, she pushes forward. My second favorite part is that she did not persevere without struggle, especially emotionally. Her anger is something the reader, especially one who has had an event strip their future plans
Ashley
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this version of Cinderella because it was engaging, (I finished it in two days), and it had elements that were different from the original story. The book was fast-paced because it didn't have a lot of unimportant details. It was very straightforward and pretty condensed. The story draws you along. When I first started reading "Fated" I wasn't too sure that I would like it very much, but I got attached to the characters very quickly. There were a lot of times that I thought the pl ...more
Leah Feltner
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
So this book left me with mixed feelings. On one hand, it kept me intrigued because I really wanted to see how it all would play out but I also struggled connecting with the main characters and storyline.
I wanted to like Ella but she was a bit too angry or moody for me and Weslan had so much potential to be swoon worthy, but I didn’t feel like I really ever knew him. I didn’t really see the natural progression of their relationship develop.
Also, it’s a bit exhausting to read a book where it’s
Tierra
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A telling for the ages

Fated is the most unexpected and delicious version of Cinderella that I have ever read. Kaylin Lee really broke down the wall of classic cliches and proved that not everything is as black and white as it seems. It kind of goes into the idea of evil not being born but made and it what it takes to get past that to a better and nobler life ahead. This Cinderella is feisty, fierce, and ready to break down the walls of prejudice one step at a time. For a girl of many obstacles s
Anna
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel so terrible when I rate things anything below 3 stars because these authors do a much better job at storytelling than I would. This story was just hard for me to get into and despite mulling it over for the better part of a day, I still can't put my finger on what it was exactly that I didn't enjoy.

Initially I was attracted to this book based on the fairy-tale connection, but I think this book would have been better without it. Interesting plot idea, but something was just disconnected f
Vickie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book took me a while to read because I kept getting lost and confused. The change in the story was good but Cinderella kept making some really dumb decisions, for such a smart girl, (like not telling as roundabout the ribbon) that had pretty dire consequences. I like the change up of the story but some events were never clearly explained, like Belle's help, why Wesley would give her the Name and why the Prince's guard just showed up to get her. I just had to stop and take break to think tho ...more
Beth Klostermann
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting retelling of the classic Cinderella story! I found it similar to The Lunar Chronicles in how it retells a classic fairy tale in a dystopian world. The world-building confused me a bit, some things were not very well explained, and I thought some of the characters could've been better developed, but the story was good and the plot really drew me in. I personally liked how it broke from some of the typical Cinderella tropes. Enjoyed it overall!
emily couturier
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read!!

Kaylin Lee did an amazing job on this retelling of Cinderella! there were some very unexpected twists and turns. I laughed and cried reading this book! and I just could not put it down. i read it in 2 yes 2 days and as a college student and a full time mom and having a part time job I dont get much free time but every second of free time I did get I was stuck in this book! absolutely love it and I will be reading the rest of them!!
Louise
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this book started, I fell in love. A Cinderella that loves her Step-mum and step-sisters? That will do anything to protect them? How could I not? As the book goes on though, it changed to mostly indifference. Ella is such a wuss. Caught up in all these odd events and constantly being blamed for everything, by everybody, and instead of sticking up for herself, she just stammers, a weak "I'm sorry" It's like reading about a female from the 50s. Want more from our heroines in this day and age.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading a majority of this book, especially the plot and characters. However, the romance is a little unbelievable. It's not developed, making the short book feel like the author just tried to include too much in too few of pages. The cover of the book (lonely girl in a pretty dress) makes it seem like a romance, so I just want to warn you that it's more magical/mage/fantasy than anything else.
Kim  Gregory
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A Darker Version of the Story

I never felt comfortable reading this version. There were very few happy moments and then near the end I ran into a couple of cuss words that made me even more uncomfortable. Oddly enough, I kept reading even though I didn't particularly care for the feel of the story. I skimmed after the cuss words though, just to get the gist of what happened - I don't usually read stories with cussing in them.
Carlie Holdredge
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fated to be a great read!

I truly enjoyed this version of Cinderella. Kaylin wrote a different spin on the story and I really enjoyed it. I still had a lot of sympathy for Cinderella but not because of her step mother and step sister, but because of the situation she was in. I loved the interaction between her and Weak in and the Happy ending!
Denise
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting, relatable and well thought out.

Magic is everywhere in Asylia but only the rich control it or have free axis to it. There is a definite class divide, and Cinderella is close to the bottom. But things are not always as they appear. This fairy tale has many heroes and is there such a thing as happily ever afters?
Sasha Hutchins
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A compelling Cinderella retelling

I am a sucker for a good fairytale retelling and Fated does not disappoint. This book has a unique view on the events- an empowered Ella, a loving stepfamily, and a hero who helps in the real, meaningful ways. I could not put the book down once it started going!
Annie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this re-telling of Cinderella. It has some of the elements of the classic story, but a lot of it is different, which I really liked. I bought the rest of the books in the series, which is a good sign! I'm excited to continue following this world and reading about the other characters.
Natasha
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and new twist on fairy tales.

A great story. I would definitely recommend to read it. It is a different kind of fairy tale.......with a twist. However, you will enjoy it.
Holly C. Elkins
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

I really enjoyed this story! I liked how the stepmother and stepsisters were kind and how they loved Cinderella. A different view on the classic fairytale, very well written.
Stephani Austin
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super fun new series

Well, this series is new to me, at least! This was a fun retelling of Cinderella. Great characters, nods to the original tale, but plenty of twists to make it interesting. Appreciated the magical culture of the city as well. Can’t wait for the next book!
Raewynn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this is a very different take on the Cinderella story.

I loved this. Usually I am not a fan of these type of stories but, this one is great and I definitely want to read more by Kaylin Lee.

Give this story a go, I'm sure you will be very pleasantly surprised!
MaryKate
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I was disappointed! It started out with potential, but quickly turned into another "fairytale rewrite". The dialogue and characters were "over-the-top" emotionally, as well as having weak lines.
This was a DNF for me 50% of the way through, so maybe it gets better at the end?
Blazing Readers &...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Fated: While Reading 8 5 Apr 27, 2018 10:04PM
Blazing Readers &...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Fated: Before Reading 16 7 Apr 27, 2018 03:59PM
Goodreads Librari...: create series Destined 2 14 Oct 13, 2017 12:25PM
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • Roses in Amber: A Beauty and the Beast story
  • Before the Midnight Bells (Once Upon A Romance, #1)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
  • Wolfskin
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales Book 11)
  • The Green-Eyed Prince (The Classical Kingdoms, #0.5)
  • Ever After (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper

Destined (3 books)
  • Hidden: Rapunzel's Story (Destined #2)
  • Twisted: Belle's Story (Destined #3)
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.
Machiavelli”
0 likes
“There are so many familiar clichés in Cinderella, aren’t there? Stepmothers are cruel. Stepsisters are jealous and selfish. Beautiful girls are helpless victims, and only a handsome prince can save them. But real life is a bit more complicated. Sometimes villains have battles of their own to fight, and victims are actually heroines just waiting for their chance to rise. And sometimes the man you fall in love with isn’t the rich, powerful prince—it’s the man who would do anything for you, the man who makes you feel beautiful.” 0 likes