Start by marking “Shatter Me (The Jaded Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shatter Me (The Jaded Series, #1)

Shatter Me

(The Jaded #1)

Pain.

That’s a word Bailey Winsor knows well, having endured it since she was a child from the people that were supposed to protect her. Just when her life appears normal, something Bailey has never experienced, she meets a man and falls in love.

Love can be deceiving.

Published January 12th 2015 by Alex Grayson (first published December 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shatter Me, please sign up.
Shannon Fay you don't realize how insidious abuse like this is until you're in the situation. most times, people in these situations don't even REALIZE that it's …moreyou don't realize how insidious abuse like this is until you're in the situation. most times, people in these situations don't even REALIZE that it's abusive until it's too late to simply walk away. everyone always asks why people don't just leave, but when you've been beaten down for years, and your abuser has carefully cut you off from your family and friends over the course of those years, you have no one to turn to for help. if you've been subject to that abuse for a while, chances are that you have also been verbally abused the whole time, and if someone tells you that you're worthless, that no one loves you, that no one will EVER love you again, or help you, that the only person who cares about you IS your abuser, you start to believe it. (you might think that if someone says horrible things, you would know that's not true, but if they say them enough, you WILL eventually believe them). so couple the isolation of being cut off from your family and friends with the idea that they don't care and won't help you, because you've been brainwashed to believe that, and it makes it hard to get away. plus, there's the added issue of abusers making the victim THINK they deserve it. And also, the abuse itself. fear is very powerful, and if your abuser says that if you ever leave, that they will hunt you down and kill you, you believe them. They've already proven how much they can HURT you, so why wouldn't they hunt you down and kill you. Also, abusers like this are VERY controlling. they'll slowly take over all of your life, until they control all the money, until all the bills, the house and things are in their name, so you have nothing.

so think about all of that, and then ask yourself, how do you get away when you have no money and you own nothing, and where do you go when no one cares, and no one will help you, especially when you know that the only person who "cares" will hunt you down and hurt you if you try to leave?

and a lot of people think they'd just get out before it got that bad, but abusers are very good at doing things so slowly that you don't notice how bad it is until it's THAT bad. it's like that story of a frog in a pot of cold water, where the water warms so slowly that the frogs boils to death without realizing it.

Abusers will start by being really sweet and caring. usually the first step is controlling behaviour, like checking up on you, and where you are, calling a little more than normal. And at first that's sweet that they check up so often, like wow, this person must really care to want to talk to me so often. they're a little possessive and don't want you talking to other guys, which is reasonable of a boyfriend. so he's a little jealous, it just means he cares. you fall in love with this guy, and then if a friend doesn't like him, you're in love with this guy, so you slowly stop talking to that friend. he takes up more and more of your time, and it's sweet that he's so into you. when he asks you to stop hanging out with a guy friend cuz it bothers him that you're close to another guy, you do, because you want to make your man happy, and it WOULD make you jealous if he were best friends with another girl. then you start living together, and you move into HIS place, and give up yours. it's all very sweet, romantic, loving. it's a commitment, and a big step when you open a joint bank account and he convinces you to close your own account (and says he closes his).

Shit likes this really happens, really slowly. so that by the point the abuse starts looking like abuse, it's too late, and it's already HIS house, and he's already got a way to control the money ,and you've already cut off lots of friends, and become more distant from the people in your life.

and he doesn't hit you right away. he gets mad, and yells and calls you stupid sometimes, but always apologizes right after and says he loves you so much that he just gets a little worked up, that he'll be careful and won't yell like that again. and you love him so much, you believe it, plus, you WERE being stupid talking to that guy friend, cuz you KNOW he doesn't like it when you talk to other guys.

and slowly, yelling becomes harsher and harsher, and the things he says that make you feel bad get worse and worse. and slowly, things get more violent, and one day, instead of just yelling, he grabs you roughly by the arm. he didn't hit you though, just grabbed you hard, and didn't mean to.then it escalates to more grabbing and shoving, pushing, shaking, things like that. and by the time the guy is actually hitting you regularly, and doing really awful things, it's too late.

it happens so slowly, so insidiously, that even strong, smart, capable women, can fall victim to this sort of trap. The only reason i know all of this and could recognize all these red flags is because i LIVED it. I watched my mom fall in love with a sweet man, who was kind and caring, who didn't care that she was a single mother with 2 girls, hell, he loved her girls, and was wonderful with them, and the girls adored him. I watched for 5 years as she went from happy and smitten to terrified and hurt. I was there as i went from a lucky girl with a great step-dad, to a terrified girl who didn't trust people. i watched as this sweet, attentive, caringm, wonderful man, morphed into this horrible nightmare, watched as he went from brushing our hair and teaching us to ride bicycles, to threatening to kill us if our mom ever left. I saw him go from being the kind of guy who brought her breakfast in bed, to being the kind of guy who put her in the hospital. And where could she go with no money, no family, and 2 little girls to feed and protect? i remember that a few times she tried to leave. on time we even managed to get like 4 or 5 states away, and he DID come after us. it's hard to understand how someone can stay, but i promise, when you're IN that situation, leaving seems like the most impossible thing in the world(less)

Start your review of Shatter Me (The Jaded Series, #1)
Candace
This story was upsetting, raw and gritty. I personally love darker stories, but the harrowing account of abuse that Bailey survived was difficult to read about. One particularly graphic scene toward the end required me to take a "time out", which almost never happens for me.

Essentially, this is a story about a young woman, Bailey, that is on the run from her abusive husband. With little more than the clothes on her back, she moves from town to town, picking up whatever work she can in order to
Ashleyjo
I've teetered back and forth on my capability to read this book since the female MC's domestic abuse, violence, rape, and sodomy of a completely non-consensual nature are detailed graphically over the course of the book and her childhood sexual and physical abuse are spoken of (not detailed graphically) several times.

Triggers First

While I'm an advocate for books that shed light on such traumas for lay people &/or that give hope for those impacted in real life, I also realize that such topics
Katie
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 still have a hard time reeling in my emotions stars

description

First let me just start of by officially announcing Jaxon Walker as candidate for Book Boyfriend of 2015. We may have a winner on our hands here guys!

Although there are some pretty adorable scenes in the book- I must issue a warning: this book is DEF not for the faint of heart! The things that were done to Bailey by her husband are described IN DETAIL and they are not easy to read about! That being said, it definitely gave you insight as to w
Nikki ღ Navareus
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only people who can handle this type of story. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

***FOUR STARS***
Shatter Me is right. This story was gripping and very dark. Bailey is a woman who grew up neglected by her parents who were too drugged out of their minds to pay her any attention. She was also repeatedly sexually abused by friends of her drugged out parents, while her parents sat and watched, never lifting a finger to help this little girl as she was molested. Then once she gets away from her ugly childhood, she's wooed by a man whose attention makes her feel special for the fir
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
I'm glad I read the acknowledgments section before writing this review because I almost started this thing off with asking why the abuse scenes were so graphic. The disclaimer for this book wasn't loud enough so...

IF YOU HAVE TRIGGERS, THIS BOOK MAY NOT BE FOR YOU. TREAD CAREFULLY.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with Alex Grayson that "no one should ever be embarrassed or ashamed of being abused." It's true that too many men, women and children face some form of abuse every single day
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)
abuse
I have very mixed feelings about this book. It contains a lot of unnecessary brutality, although not too descriptive, but right through until the end. Similar to Enslaved (The Life of Anna, #1) by Marissa Honeycutt - if you loved her book, you probably will love this one. I don't mind abuse, I love The Beast And Me (The Beast And Me, #1) by D. S. Wrights, but it's more twisted and a more psychological and not brutal for the sake to be shocking.

Warning: (view spoiler)
Allyson
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars...

First thing to say is please please see the trigger warnings because they are ALL in this book. It has taken me awhile to give a rating. There are a few things that bothered me and that that is why it didn't get a full four stars. There was a lot of repetitiveness that wasn't necessary. There also were a few times in the book that I was like ummmm what?? You acted this way why??? All and all it was a great book and a hard read!!!Which I love the ones that really make you think, cri
Willow Madison
I felt sorry for Bailey in the beginning. She didn’t come across as overly bright, but I believed her character. Jaxon seemed okay too, like there might have been some possibility of schmexiness there. It all fell apart at the first sign of trouble though. Jaxon’s selfish rampage at hearing her story just sickened me. The explanation for it was bs. And the stupidity with the sister? Huh?? Didn’t even make any sense at all. Oh, wait – no, it did. Goes back to my comments about Mia not being all t ...more
Michelle
Kim Black
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of editing Shatter Me by Alex Grayson and to say that we were impressed with her debut novel is an understatement. From the beginning of the story I was drawn in and thrust into an endless sea of mixed emotions.

I laughed, cried (real tears) and at times I was completely pissed off. At one point I had to walk away from the story, needing a moment for the thumping of my heart to ease.

Grayson had me completely at her mercy, anxiously awaiting for the story to unfold and praying t
Nance
Wow! What can I say? This one will horrify you. It will keep you on your toes. And, It will make you shed some tears. So, don’t take the author’s warning for granted. It’s graphic. The abuse will make you cringe and give you goosebumps. Every time the author described this young woman’s abuse, I felt like I was there. It was so believable. So raw and realistic. Running to a small town, she finds peace, hope, and a love so protective. Maybe she’s found an end to all of this horror from a monster ...more
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Jun 18, 2015 marked it as on-hold-maybe-finish-later  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a bit of a problem connecting with the characters so far...It's best if I put it down and take a break.
Karen Mc
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Received an ARC for an honest review by Bookalicious Babes Blog***

Shatter Me was an amazing debut novel by Alex Grayson! Like the title, this book shattered me a bit.

Have those tissues ready as this story is not for the weak! Happy and sad tears were shed as this book takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions! Shatter Me is slightly scary, thrilling, intense, raw, sweet, and hot. It's a modern-day fairy tale that touches on harsh and scary topics and I loved every minute!

This story tak
Coco.V
Nov 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (11/21/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Pain.

Love can be deceiving.

Bailey jumps from the frying pan that was her childhood and into the burning bowels of hell, which is her sick and twisted husband. It’s hopeless. Suffering more years of abuse, Bailey event
Danielle
Shatter Me completely wrecked me! I mean, I read the reviews and thought, it can't be that bad, right?! I've read some books that completely ruined me and thought there was no way that a debut novel could do that (no offense, Alex Grayson!) but holy shit! This book put me through the ringer!

It starts off with Bailey stopping off in Jaded Hollow just long enough to get some more money so she can keep running from her abusive husband. But it's in this small town that Bailey learns that there are
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
1 'couldn't get into it' star

This one is slow going - I started another book while reading it because I was bored out of my skull reading this one. This trope has used so many times that I guess I was looking for some other angle, etc. The abuse is written OTT (at 1/3 in). I had no connection with the characters. I just kept starting and stopping. I skimmed to finish - lots of rolled eyes especially that someone that abused and traumatized fell in lust/love that quickly.
Nikki
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Megan Fall
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: make-you-cry, abuse
This was a really hard book to read as the subject matter was abuse. I cried a lot during this book and especially at the ending. It's a HEA ending, and it isn't a HEA ending! Such a sad book! I really want to read Mac's book and I need Nick to have a book as well!!
Shelly Wygant
If I could rate this more than 5 stars I would. Congrats to making this the first book of 2015 to make me cry. This story of Bailey's will run you through an emotional ringer. From the synopsis you know that this is going to be a tough story. Bailey is running for a bad past that includes abuse. Her husband is a monster. As she is running she stops in Jaded Hallow, OH. Here she finds the kindness of strangers. Bailey has a hard time accepting this kindness because she has not had that in her pas ...more
yohanna baez
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HeadTripping Book Blog received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

Shatter me by Alex Grayson

My heart aches writing this review and it's also how I felt while reading this book.

In this story Bailey is running from her past but on the way find her future.
She is almost out money and must find a job. She stops at a small town where she meets
some great people including Jax who instantly has a pull towards her, and try to help her but Bailey is afraid to trust anyone.

I instantly felt in love
Virginia Weaver
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to be able to beta read this book for Alex Grayson. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone because I think that this is a book that you have to experience for yourself. It will change you and it will stay with you long after you finish the last page.

I was absolutely blown away by this story. This is by far one of the best and emotionally captivating books that I have read. This is the story of Bailey, a woman who is running. She's running in order to save herself. She has sca
A.M.
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four-point-five stars for Shatter Me! This book turned me into a wreck. I won this copy during a release party on Facebook and the teasers I saw had me filled with excitement, anticipation, and maybe even a little fear. Bailey endured a journey so far from what most people could ever imagine and she fought to come out on the other side. It was a beautiful story watching her grow and change from a terrified shell of a woman into a strong, courageous fighter. My heart beat like crazy through sever ...more
Joey Corr
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg. Where do I start. This book is so good. It is a emotional roller coaster ride of ups and downs. I just loved Jaxon and how is with everyone. He just melted my heart and all the tattoos and piercings. Can I just say oh yummy. Bailey is a abused woman on the run. I feel for her and what she has gone through. I just love her and Jaxon together. Andrew is a ball and I hope he gets a book. Poor Anna my heart breaks for her. This was a great book but have a box of tissues near by because you will ...more
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
Well this book peeked my interest straight away, it was very dark and contains some strong subject that may upset some.

It was going so well at first.

I would have given this book a higher rating if it were not for a few issues I had:
# The over explanation of EVERYTHING!!
# A leading female that just gets on your nerves towards the end

I gave it as much as I did for these reasons:
# I LOVED Jaxon, he is a perfect book boyfriend. Strong, tattooed and pierced
# It was a great story and well written, exc
Andrea Smith
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raw, gritty and gripping is the best way to describe Shatter Me. Author Alex Grayson makes you feel as if you are right there witnessing everything as it unfolds, which is what kept me glued to the pages. Some very dark spots in this read, the author warns of same, but it wasn't thrown in for shock value, it had its place in the story!

Natshane
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Each story needs to be heard.

One thing that I've come to realize about Alex's works are, they are all brutally (and I meant it literally) honest, raw and intense, the kind that mindf*cks you and left you speechless. Don't expect her to sugarcoat the violence or bubble wrap her story line, because what you get is the horrid details of what her characters went through and it ain't a walk in the park.

Bailey hasn't had the easiest life. Neglected as a child and abused by her husband in
Annie's reading corner
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018

I found this book through an excerpt in the author's page. I was so intrigued by it that I had to read it soon.
This story was a roller coaster, so full of raw emotions and sometimes it took me a moment to assimilate what I was reading.
I love the H, so protective and sweet, but very manly. The h was a bit too sensitive at times, I felt her pain but I'd like her to defend herself more.
The last part was surprising, and the epilogue simply beautiful.
Wendy W
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good but I felt Jaxon and Baileys story moved very quickly. I enjoyed the storyline but holy moly what Bailey endured?? Oof...glad she got he HEA!
Nook Books and More Blog
Wow this book was amazing. The abuse and violence was so realistic along the lines of what people go through as well as over come. I know I'm an over comer. The triggers alone could take a lifetime to overcome but with good family support it happens. This book portrays that to preciseness that it's unreal. It's well written with a plot that has awesome twist that you would never see coming. Shatter Me has definitely made its name because not only is the character shattered but it leaves you feel ...more
Stephanie Daley
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to read this novel since I saw the first teaser of it in an author's event a while ago. I knew this book was going to be good..I was wrong..it is extraordinary! I haven't actually cried while reading a book since I was in High School. Not only did I cry, cringe, be angered, but i was shattered, but in a good way. With out giving anything away I will compare reading this as learning history in school and being told of slavery but not learning the emotions of what a slave actua ...more

• Defaced (The Monster Trilogy #1)
  • Tempting Me
  • Frayed Rope (The Ugly Roses #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Blinded by Fate (The Ugly Roses Book #3)
  • Big Swinging D (Wall Street Royals Book 2)
  • Somebody's Angel (Rescue Me Saga, #4)
  • Lucky
  • Safe Word
  • Gabriel's Hope (Rhyn Eternal, #1)
  • Concealed Affliction (The Ugly Roses Book 2)
  • Aberrant (Aberrant, #1)
  • Mack (The King Trilogy, #4)
  • Tempt Me (The Temptation, #1)
  • More (You & Me, #3)
  • This Time Around (The Bennett's Bastards Series, #2)
  • Assassin's Mark (Assassins #1)
  • Savage Collision (A Savage Love Duet #1)
Alex Grayson is the bestselling author of heart pounding, emotionally gripping contemporary romance including the Jaded Series, the Consumed Series, and two standalone novels. Her passion for books was reignited by a gift from her sister-in-law. After spending several years as a devoted reader and blogger, Alex decided to write and independently publish her first novel in 2014 (an endeavor that to ...more

The Jaded (4 books)
  • Reclaim Me (The Jaded Series, #2)
  • Unveil Me (The Jaded Series, #3)
  • Awaken Me (The Jaded Series, #4)

News & Interviews