Start by marking “Daughters of the Oak” as Want to Read:

Daughters of the Oak
The extended edition of The Manningtree Account.
"A supernatural thriller, weaving witches, and ghosts, together, in one spine-tingling tale."

1646 – The English Civil War. The Royalists of King Charles I, and Cromwell’s Parliamentarians, battle, both eager to lay claim to a tattered country, where life has become cheap and death trivial.

Though, for the
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of the Oak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of the Oak

Ellen Read
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daughters of the Oak
The blurb of this extended edition of The Manningtree Account.

Though, for the lowly commoner, a greater, far more devious, war rages. It threatens the souls of the weak, timid and needy. Se
Melinda MacLean (mel_constantreader)
This novel was definitely creepy and spooky. The ending almost sounds like we could get a sequel, which I hope we do because of how it ended. It was nice getting more of a background story after reading The Manningtree Account.
Gemma Roman
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book ... creepy, interesting and heartbreakingly bittersweet in places. Full review at:
Julia Blake
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having already read and thoroughly enjoyed, The Manningtree Account, by the same author, when I saw there was a new, extended, version of it, a sort of director's cut, as it were, I made sure I pre-ordered my copy. I was a little concerned it might not live up to the original, but, those fears were groundless. Daughter's of the Oak delivers in spades, and I consumed it all on the morning of its release in one, big, spine tingling, gasping bite.

With the original story still forming the core of th
Beverley Lee
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Daughters of the Oak is the special extended edition of The Manningtree Account which I read earlier this year.

The original story remains the framework of the book but Wright has delved deeper into character (and in so into darkness) with Daughters of the Oak.

What I find especially unsettling about this story is its base in actual fact. The Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins, isn't a fictional character. Women were subjected to terror and torment all in the name of religion. Once named as witc
Karen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh why didn't I read this book sooner. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to reading scary books, and I thought this was gonna be scary. It's a brilliant story, well written by the author and once I started it I couldn't put it down and I read the whole book from start to finish without a break! It really makes you glad you weren't living in those times when innocent women where murdered for trying to help others. This is the second time slip saga that I've read by Becky Wright, and they are very ...more
walkingfortheloveofbooks
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought the ebook of, Daughters Of The Oak, from Amazon.com.

Have you ever seen the film, The Exorcist? .... Well this book has a similar element ot it. It's scary, creepy, possessive and down right horrifying.

Manningtree - March - 1645, is where it all starts, with Matthew Hopkins, witchfinder, General....THIS ....is a TRUE historical event that Becky Wright casts her own circle and weaves her own spell that has the reader bound to her book, a spell, that binds thy eyes in a hypnotic state. Twi
Sarina Langer
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Jaime Medina
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becky Wright, where have you been all my life! This woman is such an amazing author! This novel had no end to the twists! It will keep you mesmerised through it's entirety. The seance scene was truly terrifying, and you want to talk about some really steamy ghost sex scenes lol. Give this book a read!
Becky Wright
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Review from the author.

Daughters of the Oak is the special extended edition of The Manningtree Account. Creating this book has been a true labour of love.

Being born in Essex and raised in Suffolk, the history of the infamous Matthew Hopkins, Witchfinder General, has always intrigued, schooling my fascination for the macabre, exploring the darker history of my home turf.

Daughters of the Oak – The Manningtree Account, is in no way a factual report of one of his actual witch trials, rather, the spi
Escape_in_a_Book
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is dark in a delicious way. Written with an eloquence that keeps the reader engaged. The story unfolds in the past and present which kept a nice pace. This is a fantastic ghost story that horror and supernatural fans will enjoy.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

I loved this darker offering from the lovely Becky Wright - who would have known that she could write such a creepy tale?! The blending of the two time periods was seamless and I loved the way everything linked together. I particularly enjoyed the scenes in 1646 as Becky really conveyed the sinister atmosphere of the witch trials perfectly. Matthew Hopkins was a despicable character and I was really impressed that the author could make me feel such strong emotions towards someone who r
Ruth Miranda
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this precious gem last night and I'm still reeling. Goosebumps all over! This is the kind of book that I go back to, often, as it wakes up my imagination and touches on all those things that go bump in the night and awaken my senses. Maybe some people will find it scary, for me it's eerie and magical. The whole ambiance is so well done, it wraps around you with cold, clawing fingers and does not let go. The storylines entwine like poisonous vines throughout the pages, kee ...more
Author Dawnette Brenner
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was aware this book a deeper look into the Manningtree Account and the author delved into deeper explanation of those heinous events and factual accounts. What I wasn't aware is how confused I personally would be reading this simultaneously with 9 other books. I don't recommend doing that, as this author's poetic style paints the picture, sets the mood and ensnares your soul into a world where horrific crimes took place. My emotions were mirrored the characters with every turn of the page. The ...more
Sharman Badgett-Young
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haunting, disturbing fantasy

For a writer of horror, the words of the title are a compliment. After reading the novella, Manningtree, this novel was surprisingly fuller, turning the author's historical fiction into a frightening story of the paranormal. The addition of new characters in the present influenced by those of the 15th century, made for an eerie ghost tale. The ending was unexpected and excellent. With a bit more editing, and shortening of extended descriptive passages, this book would
Allyson Grove
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instagram-books
Last year I had the pleasure of reading Manningtree and my interest in these characters were piqued. When I heard Becky was expanding on her tale I was excited to see where the shadows would carry us. The story was dark and twisted taking the reader into places best not explored in the dark. Once again Becky leaves me hungry to know more. This is a spooky tale that has a few surprises left even if you did read her previous tale. I recommend you visit the town of Manningtree for a stay.
Misty
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this extended version of The Manning Tree Account! Where the author went with the story was unexpected and brilliant! The author has a very spooky but realistic take on what may have happened all those centuries ago, and her writing style is so elegant.
angelina pettitt
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where history and today's world come together for a spinechilling awesome read!

This book kept me gripped till the end.innocence,love and evilness all combined into best book i have read in a long time.
Jasmin
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was exactly what I needed! Filled with witchy awesomeness and supernatural suspense. I couldn’t put it down! My only complaint is that I want more!
Alex findingmontauk1
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
a great story that combines past and present, witchcraft, paranoia, and the supernatural. the writing is pure elegance and helps blend the historical aspects of the novel very well.
Megan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a creepy, intense, passionate story. The witch hunting/torture was so vividly portrayed that I was aching and horrified for the poor women who were victims of it. Arriving in modern day brings you back to reality a bit, and things become very fast paced (as we are in modern day I suppose) while ramping up the paranormal factor in a sense. It’s also a bit of a mystery as you figure out who’s who and what happened. If you’re clever, unlike me, you’ll pick up on some great hints and c ...more
Tracy Edley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredible book. It's so beautifully written it's like actually being there. Really loved the wrist at the end! If you like witches, then this. Ok is definitely for you. Just fantastic.
Bobbie Dyke
Adriana
Jul 26, 2018
Kay-Cherish Kipling
Sep 16, 2017
Becky Wright is an independently published author, with a passion for history, the supernatural, and thing that go bump in the night.

Blessed, she lives in the heart of the English Suffolk countryside, surrounded by rolling green fields, picturesque timber-framed villages, country pubs and rural churches. She is married, with a young son, four grown-up children, and grandchildren.

Family bonds and t