Start by marking “Hot Dog Girl” as Want to Read:
Hot Dog Girl

Hot Dog Girl

Elouise (Lou) Parker is determined to have the absolute best, most impossibly epic summer of her life. There are just a few things standing in her way:

* She's landed a job at Magic Castle Playland . . . as a giant dancing hot dog.
* Her crush, the dreamy Diving Pirate Nick, already has a girlfriend, who is literally the Princess of the park. But Lou's never liked anyone,
Published April 30th 2019 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about Hot Dog Girl, please sign up.
Jennifer Dugan Great question! I love that picture so much but it did not inspire the book. I actually first saw it when an agent I was querying sent it to me and…moreGreat question! I love that picture so much but it did not inspire the book. I actually first saw it when an agent I was querying sent it to me and said my project reminded her of it. (Hope that doesn't disappoint you!)(less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
UPDATE: I just won my first ever giveaway for a signed ARC of this book and I would just like to thank the universe for finally giving me a break and letting me have nice things!!

I don’t even have to personally have read this book, I just already know that factually I will relate to anyone standing alone in a crowd wearing a hot dog suit and looking like they wish they could free themselves from the shackles of their flesh prisons and transcend the physical world by astral projection
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I love love loved the setting of this book, but the plot/characters really needed work. I felt like this book played into the stereotype that bisexual women only date girls to get the attention of guys and I was just.. not about it. Plus on top of that, this was my second book of the month that revolved really heavily around cheating and I'm pretty over it tbh. BLAH.

If you want to hear Kassie and I talk more in detail about this, the Sassy Book Club live-show will be tonight (Fri 5/24) on my cha
Lola
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This looks like a really fun and fluffy YA summer romance, but believe me when I tell you that it’s more of a soap opera… at an amusement park.

Don’t get me wrong, I thought it was entertaining and I would definitely recommend it to those who enjoy dramatic characters and scenarios as well as reading about different relationships blossoming and dying.

Just be aware that it’s not exactly a ha-ha book. The heroine is engaging and sarcastic and super straight-forward so I was bound to enj
Trina (Between Chapters)
F/F FAKE DATING! Great summer vibes!

I was a little irritated with Eloise constantly drooling over a guy who already had a girlfriend, but that was really just the catalyst for the main events in this book. The friendship, fake dating, moral struggles, and amusement park setting were all things I really loved.

This does include f/f fake dating to catch the interest of a straight guy, but I really liked that it's addressed as soon as it's brought up. The idea of Nick only being into her because of
Hollis
Crap crap crap crap. <-- what was running through my head the further into this I got as I realized this book was not working for me or what I thought it would be

I wanted to love this. From the moment I saw the title and the cover, I wanted to love this so much. It seemed quirky and fun and cute and I wanted it in my face so I could make heart-eyes at it forever. But.

Other than having a bisexual main character, there was.. like.. nothing else I liked? I loathed the myriad of stupid scheming L
Dahlia
Reading this just made me so happy for everyone who's been dying for more excellent f/f YA romcoms. THIS WAS SO CUTE AND I ADORED IT.
Kylie Amber
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a very sweet read.
Def had its problematic points though.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
actual rating: 2.5 stars

No one talk to me. No one touch me. I'm frustrated and disappointed.

WHY DO MY ANTICIPATED READS KEEP LETTING ME DOWN LIKE THIS?

This one has to be the worst tho. There are exactly two things i liked about Hot Dog Girl:
1/ Lou's dad
2/ the last couple chapters when everything FINALLY fell into place.

The rest? Nope. Eloise was infuriating, she kept using her best friend not even looking back enough to consider her feelings, she wanted to break up a couple just because she want
Vicky Who Reads
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I CALLED IT FROM THE BEGINNING JUST LETTING YOU KNOW

also I got a bit teary in the climax brb
Ness (Vynexa)
I will be keeping this review non-spoiler due to my rant review for this book being full of spoilers

Elouise has a crush on Nick. Nick has a girlfriend who is a princess while Elouise is a hot dog.
Elouise makes some stupid decisions, takes best friend Seeley down with her.
Elouise is frustrating.

What we were sold in the synopsis is not what we were given in this novel. By the summary, I thought that this was going to be a story about a girl who was finding herself. But that’s not what it turned
megs_bookrack
I never knew a book with a girl dressed as a hotdog on the cover would be something I needed in my life.

Alas, I do NEED THIS.
Look how beautiful it is; with the pink and purple and the hotdog.

Delicious.

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite this quirky title and odd little cover, I am so glad I picked up this book! I don't always go for books within the trope of girl-crushing-on-boy-who-already-has-girlfriend, but if there ever was a case of an author handling it very well, this is the prime example. In the beginning of the book, Elouise (Lou) did get just a bit obnoxious with her obsessive escapades (nee 'hero complex') to save the park when everyone else thought it was none of her business and no one else considered it a ...more
Jaye Berry
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is like if you dropped a hot dog on the ground and let it get stepped on for three days before you picked it back up and then ate it.

Hot Dog Girl is the story of Elouise (Lou) who is determined to have the best summer of her life. That is before she is assigned to be the dancing hot dog (again) at the local amusement park she loves, and finds out the park will close at the end of the summer. Lou has a big crush on the park's pirate diver Nick, so when she hatches a scheme to get closer
Ivy
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-soon-19
HotDogGirl

“I know I don’t have the face of a woman who walks into an office and demands answers - I have the face of a girl trying to be too many things at once.”

Elouise Parker knows what it’s like to be a hot dog. Last summer she dressed as one at her town’s local amusement park and will be reviving her role this year. Even having to dance around in a 15-pound suit won’t ruin Lou’s perfectly planned summer of hanging with her best friend Seeley and just maybe getting her cute coworker Nick to notice he
Kassie
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
There were things I L O V E D about this book and things that made me roll my eyes and groan and scoff. Overall I landed on a three because I did think the majority of the characters and the story were cute. I can't wait to discuss this one for SassyBookClub on Chelsea's channel (chelseadolling reads) on May 24th at 7pm PST!
Amber
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this!

This was such a fun contemporary romance. I am generally not a fan of contemporary romance but this is an LGBTQ romance which I am always in search for. This had some pretty great bisexual representation with our MC, Eloise, who I came to adore.

Eloise was not without flaws, but she learns and grows throughout the story. The reader gets a good look into this small town where everyone knows each other. Cute & romantic faux pas occur, that had me literally *squeeing* (see GI
Kelly Hager
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will admit freely that I bought this book because Becky Albertalli blurbed it. (She says it's "funny, joyful, bighearted.") I'm so glad I saw her praise because I love this book SO MUCH.

I also come from a small town, although our amusement park was in the beach city half an hour away. This book was full of summer nostalgia for me (I didn't work there, but I spent a lot of time there over the summers growing up). Even beyond that, I loved Seeley and Elouise so much. Their friendship is actual p
Marisa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much I love about HOT DOG GIRL -- I never wanted to put it down, and when I had to I couldn't wait to pick it back up. Elouise's voice jumps off the page, I want Seeley to be my best friend, and the relationship between Lou & her dad meant so much to me. HOT DOG GIRL delivers the perfect combination of humor & heart and is basically the f/f romcom of my dreams -- this one should be on everyone's 2019 TBR!!
Meredith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Voicey, original, and filled with humor and heart, this is a fantastic debut. I was lucky to be an early reader on this novel. Bi girls, cute diving pirate boys, princesses, and a summer amusement park never fail to entertain. Highly recommended!
Hayley
(OMG, I just won a signed ARC on twitter. I may explode.)

1. Thank you so much to Jennifer Dugan for the signed ARC!

2. This was the cutest book to involve a girl in a hot dog suit ever.

3. Everything was adorable and lovely and Nick was great and Seeley was the best and Elouise was so darn wonderful. I LOVE EVERYONE IN THIS BAR.

And yes, I am 100% going to reread this very soon.

5 stars, 10/10 would recommend, heart eyes forever.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This was the adorakable squishy read I needed.

::heart eye emoji::

-----------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

Y’all… this was the adorkable squishy read that I needed in my life. It filled a missing something I had that I wasn’t aware was empty. I loved it and want to scream from the rooftops how great this is!

There were so many things I enjoyed about this book. Let me start at the beginning. The protagonist, Elouise, has a summer job at the place to work at
Laura (bbliophile)
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I LOOOOOOVED the romance in this but I didn't really like the main character much
Drewthereader19
This was such a fun read! Really loved it! RTC!(:
Sue (BeautyBookCorner)
Our main character Elouise was kind of a hot mess but she is also so sweet and funny. I loved following these characters as they get sucked into her schemes.

As far as the romance, it was pretty clear early on who was endgame. But the whole process of getting there was just so cute! I was smiling throughout the book. Elouise and Seely are BFF goals, Nick is adorkable, and the run-down amusement park was the perfect setting. This is such a feel-good story about first love, friendship, and growing
Kelly Coon
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh gosh, will a girl in a hot dog suit grab your heart and stomp on it. This is a lovely rom-com that is light and undeniably fun, but simmering under the surface is Lou's incredible ache that comes out in her ill-timed and poorly managed hi-jinks. I was enraged by her cluelessness, filled with motherly love about the missing woman in her life, and wiping tears from my eyes when she mucks everything all up time and again because she's hiding the one thing from herself she really needs.

READ IT a
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I liked this a whole lot but holy cow, it was EXHAUSTING to read from the main character's perspective. She was definitely consciously written to be an unlikeable character and I liked the development but that didn't make it any less insufferable 😅
Also I hope one day we can write and read any enjoy novels that are about f/f fake dating to get a guy's attention without feeding into stereotypes but uh.. we're just not there yet.
Isaiah
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
To read the full review check it out here.

Hated the MC, but the rest of the book was pretty wonderful. Relied pretty heavily on bi women tropes which is glaringly obvious and sad.
Christy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. The last thing I wanted to read was another book about a girl pining for a boy who has a gf....
McKinlay Dennis
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, this does not affect my review.*

Okay, I ADORED this! To start, Elouise was a bit of a disaster, but she's also bisexual so what do we really expect from her?!?! She turns it around though. I absolutely fell in love with Seeley and Nick too. And Elouise's dad?! Omg he rivals the dad from The Way You Make Me Feel as best fictional dad, like for real! I honestly think you're better off going into this book not knowing a lot. But it might contain m
Emily Knosher
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves 5 stars purely because it made me happy. I loved the characters and all of their dynamics and the story and everything else about this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Čteme anglicky: Letní čtení 2019 -Hot Dog Girl 1 3 May 23, 2019 06:43AM

• These Witches Don't Burn
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Starworld
  • The Lost Coast
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
  • All the Bad Apples
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Sorry For Your Loss
Jennifer Dugan is a writer, geek, and romantic who writes the kinds of stories she wishes she had growing up. In addition to being a young adult novelist, she is also the writer/creator of two indie comics. She lives in New York with her family, dogs, and an evil cat that is no doubt planning to take over the world.
“And I get it now, I that’s all he could ever be, that’s all anyone else could ever be: a Band-Aid, a butterfly strip, a temporary measure, because this is the after, and all of the good stuff got left behind in the before.” 1 likes
“You are more than the sum total of your bullshit background and your scheming. You’re everything I could possibly want.” 0 likes