Start by marking “The Tell-Tale Heart” as Want to Read:
The Tell-Tale Heart

The Tell-Tale Heart

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Paperback, Illustrated
Published 2017 by Indpendently Published (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Tell-Tale Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tell-Tale Heart

Gavin
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading this story had me scared. I felt my own heart beating with the fictitious rhythm of the floorboards and I absorbed every word that my eyes read.
Audra
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've never been a fan of Edgar Allen Poe but I always avoided reading this story because of how "scary" it supposedly was. Ha! A story about a man who murders another man and then has the hubris to think he got away with it until his own guilty conscience makes him turn himself in. Meh.
Anna Traasdahl
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I would recommend this story to people who like murder mysteries. I didn't like this book because I am not a huge fan of the genre but it definitely was a creative, interesting book that some people would really like.
David Meditationseed
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The vast majority of police stories involving psychopaths, madmen or people with mental problems are told from the side of the police or the victim.

When they are narrated by the executor, it usually stays on the linearity of events that led to the murderer committing the crime.

Poe goes further and is a pioneer in this way: he goes beyond the physical events until arriving at the psychological of the killer.

The sensitivity of his writing leads us to the criminal's mind, hearing the sounds he h
Kerri Beckman
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of Poe's shortest stories and I loved it. I don't know how I managed not to have read it beforehand. Poe always offers macabre ideas and I love the consistent "dreadfully nervous" character who always appears in his works.
Without giving anything away, the best part of this little story is how well Poe shows the ability of the mind to deceive itself. The logic used to disprove the madness actually proved the madness and I loved it!
I would definitely recommend this as a late n
Vanessa
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American Short Story Fanatics/Literature Lovers
I have read this short story at least two times: one in high school, the other in college. I find this short story to be very enjoyable due to the fact that it examines what one could call human nature. It deals with sanity, making the reader question their sanity. I praise Poe for the way he wrote it.

If you would like to know more on what I think in regards to this story, feel free to let me know.
Apurva Khadye
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy is the word. Unreliable narrator with acute paranoia decides to kill a old man because he doesn't like his eye.
Makes sense? No. Well narrator will make you believe it. Narrator will also scare you enough that your heart will pound in a similar manner as that of the fictional one. Must read.
Aletha
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, in the best way.

I can't believe I haven't read Poe's horror short stories before. This is well worth the read and if you don't want to miss all of the small nuances and references, check out an annotated version. Fun and quick.

If you like Poe, you'll like Clarice Lispector...and vice versa!

Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-1901, pre-1988
The narrator of this one is simultaneously irritating and genuinely disturbing. This is a rare story of Poe's that actually creeped me out a bit. As usual with him, however, the ending is overwrought in its execution, which slightly spoils any slight thrill of horror it might induce.
Cynthia Pieta
Interesting but not enough

This is my second time reading this story, and I like the idea for reading it from the perspective of the killer but it does feel as though we get enough of his madness until the end of the story, which is quite disappointing
Andrew kutz
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this story when I was in school but I'm glad I re-read it now because there where little things that I didn't know before. anyone who likes horror will definitely like this book tho its small it has a great punch.
Donna
Just finished "THE TELL-TALE HEART" by EDGAR ALLEN POE.
I read this book while listening to the Audible version read by Chris Lutkin.
Very enjoyable 📚👁
Kingsley Oteng-Amoako
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Noted often for his psychological transfixing works, Tell-Tale Heart as a disquisition, is perhaps not as wilful in that vein as some of his other works.
Amy
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another classic Poe tale.
Fyre.Katz
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the Summerweenathon!
Thecritic
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great short story about killers growing conscience. I love it.
Feiduo Zhao
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
need to read an analysis ha😂
Katie Lea
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's Poe. I feel like if you read this, you know what you're getting into.
I read this for my American Lit. class and enjoyed it.
Rosemary Beattie
Great read

Great great novella that will ALWAYS be a classic tale to read on All Halloween Day. Classic tale. Read this in elementary school. Still a classic
Mekiah Johnson
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
3 stars
I thought it was really good. It was quite disturbing but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.
Marie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A mad man trying to convince himself and the reader that he is not mad. Once again edgar allen poe writes a fascinating and efficient short story. Definitely worth a read!
Craig (Móni)