Start by marking “Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World” as Want to Read:
Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World

Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World

What if the way we understand our world is wrong? What if it isn't politicians and events that shape our lives, but secret deals made by people you've never heard of?

This book tells the story of the secret deals that are changing the world and revolutionizing everything we do, including money, the food we eat, what we buy, and the drugs we take to stay well. These deals ne
Published July 27th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Done

Start your review of Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World
Radiantflux
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, economics, politics
55th book for 2017.

The book is composed of fifteen mostly unrelated chapters, each dealing with a particular economic/political issue. The book is constructed so that each event is explained by some surprising hidden set of decisions by a few people/companies.

Unfortunately, while the book makes some interesting observations, the explanations are often quite shallow and there is a sense that complex events are being reframed in a particularly contrived fashion to work within the breezy structure
Vikas
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbtr, owned
Wonderful book very necessary and I hope that the things are as they are claimed by the author but the scenarios and the proof do make sense. This is this is truly eye-opening book. Review will be expanded later.

People who don't read generally ask me my reasons for reading. Simply put I just love reading and so to that end I have made it my motto to just Keep on Reading. I love to read everything except for Self Help books but even those once in a while. I read almost all the genre but YA, Fant
Kanchan Shine
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will change the way you see the world and events occuring around you. Everything is planned , every move , every reaction analysed to predict our next moves and alter the course of the world accordingly. The author has done a fantastic job of explaining facts in a simple and easy manner. Although it's a non fiction book it is very engrossing and engaging.
Charles Remington
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant piece of journalism - Jacques Peretti has researched the many complex issues that are facing society today and distilled them into crystal clear prose that even a dunce like me can understand. From how robotics and AI will affect the labour market, to the machinations of the big tech companies, from the skulduggery of the food industries and the efforts of the pharmaceutical industry to make us all drug dependent, his narrative moves effortlessly and lucidly, lighting up the dark cor ...more
Ron
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book doesn’t go into too much detail and could be easily accused of skimming the surface, the author has what I feel is the appropriate light touch for a popular audience. He builds an interesting set of surprising case studies while making them accessible, drew out many useful insights, and managed to challenge cherished assumptions. I very much appreciated that it steered clear of fortune-telling and doomsday predictions, which is all too common in this genre. A light TED Talk-style ...more
Anthony Tang
Enjoyed the myriad of examples and companies described in this book, but my eyes glazed over several pages here and there because the ideas were not very cohesive. Overall I’d recommend but there are better economics books out there
Adam
Apr 01, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
======

Yikes, this book came out over 9 months ago and was released for sale a few days ago and I just found out about it now? Dang!

He's the same guy that wrote about inequality. The French economist? Oh wait that's Pettit. This is the British journalist that has slightly thick lips and almost talks with a lisp. He's made some good docos. Cool.

Oops: Thomas Picketty. How is he French?! This book The Economics of Inequality

Double oops, it's Thomas Piketty also wrote Capital in the Twenty-First C
Adam
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps to some this information is new and mind expanding but I found myself speeding ahead to the next section without picking up anything overly useful. The post-facto narrative quality feels more like weaving a story over history rather than uncovering a grand conspiracy or design. It is unsurprising to hear that innovation springs up in the minds of individuals who challenge any existing system, the world is changed by us and governments can only regulate and hold on for the ride. The few p ...more
Libby Andrews
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic insight into the way our world is run. Forget Putin declaring war or our Western governments having control - the modern world is governed by the tech companies and food companies... and the Chinese and thats without mentioning the inevitable threat of AI!! Read this book, open your eyes and learn!
Carlos Trevino
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In summary: this book lays out how business has transformed politics, how and where countries around the world illegally launder money, profiles on a couple of companies that seem to reach out through every private sector with no regulation, how china came to practically run the world, and how the five biggest tech companies practically run the countries they're based out of.
Ben Mokaya
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts slow but ultimately builds momentum. The simplification of occurrences and trends can be infuriating akin to Malcom Gladwell’s conclusions. Overall the conclusion is similar to Yuval Harari’s “Winter is coming.” The future is uncertain, adaptability is key to survival in the ever changing dynamics of the world of technology and billionaires.
Ailith Twinning
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2019, 2018
On the second read. . .hmm. Still a good book, and I don't really want to spoil it, but I do want it on record that the last little bit of the book (and the veins of it in the rest of the book) aggravates me.
Mair Skelton
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My selected book for closing 2017. Well documented and written a must read uncovering truths of the big 5 companies, government, sugar and so much more. Secret deals that change the world what we buy and how.
John
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooked
Look... it is very good, but not compelling. A great example of an important book that everyone should read, a lot of new to everyone info about news stories we all heard about, but never dug into, but the assemblage is so FT writer workman-like that it has no chance of jumping the ocean and getting its due. Maybe a couple fewer deals and more time spent Michael Lewis-ing the characters and this great but sloggy info would get into more heads.
Hrishikesh
Underwhelming. The book is very well-researched & is very well written. But thematically, gets quite repetitive. I expected more. ...more
J
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Outimb
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This is not about conspiracy theories as the name might suggest, but actually a very scary vision about the future. It’s about the current state of capitalism, which seems to be above laws. Any regulations come too late or can be circumvented. Governments are dwarfed in the quest of corporations controlling technological advancement. Humans and humanity might be the biggest losers of all time against robots. This book is essential reading for anyone starting to question the current, almost evang ...more
Kelly
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mile wide and an inch deep, nonetheless I enjoyed this book moreso than I expected. Very well selected "deals" (cases) to cover, and even within each deal, the author selected good current-day cases to which he related the original deal's impact. Its refreshing to read a well-written book that's also extremely current - with the cases and settings the author cites, it feels like it was written yesterday. In a book like this, it's good to feel current when reading it - I don't like reading book ...more
Philip Hunt
We're all dupes, but I, for one, am not surprised to find out. The post-democratic, globalised, money-driven world order is stripped bare in this fascinating and confounding book. Unsurprisingly, the cover quotes Russell Brand who you either think is a prophet or a looney. I tend toward the former characterisation. Read this, and vote.

It's not an easy read as it's dense with information, but Peretti does a good job of contextualising much of the data. I found myself taking it a topic at a time,
Christopher Obert
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
In the world of business, backdoor deals are everywhere. This book takes on the biggest of the businesses with the most reaching global deals ever made. It covers everything from the food we eat, to the drugs we take, to the cash we use, up to the world of business itself. This is one business book that everyone should read!
Adam Johnson
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very exciting and rather depressing book about the state of the world, it shows where real power lies. The reason I have given four stars and not five is it is somewhat sensationalist and glazes over nuance (for example, when discussing how governments have ceded power to businesses, Peretti ignores the fact that governments still hold a monopoly on violence).
David Riseley
I started out listening to this book with no prior knowledge of the author or his political or economic leanings and I had a totally open mind. As I went through the book I found myself wishing I could stop the reader and ask, "how do you draw that conclusion?" Over and over again I found myself wanting an explanation of his claims that, to me, sounded counterintuitive.
In the end, I didn't want to finish the book because I felt like the author had a very limited understanding of the subject mat
Mitali
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
While informative and well written, the book places too much emphasis on a single event in the grand scheme of things. For instance, it claims that price speculation by four big food companies caused the Arab Springs, and the Black-Scholes formula led the OECD to raise oil prices during the Yom Kippur war. While such "deals" were definitely contributors to changing the world as we know it, there were other factors at play too, but I guess it was a tradeoff between structure and content- fair eno ...more
Paul
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting ideas but the authors lack of grasp of all things technical is comical verging on criminal. Mixing up SSL with blockchain, satellites with cell phone towers and basically having absolutely no clue while at the same time making authoritative statements on same. Saved by the overarching idea of not widely acknowledged forces shaping the world, rather than politicians or rich people.
Ruxandra
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
While it seemed at the beginning very inclined towards conspiracy, I'll have to say it put lots of things into perspective. It is an agglomeration of facts and stories from business, tech, industry, and politics. I like to believe that this is what the book wanted, to make us question the world around; otherwise I'm not sure what it wants to convince of.
Sanya Azam
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the most important books I've read this year. A crucial insight into the deals which now affect every aspect of our lives, and not in a good way. The chapters on big pharma and food were very interesting. But I felt in some parts Peretti could have provided a deeper analysis but he chooses breadth over depth to cover several industries instead.
Anna-Liisa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a one hella book about everything: politics, economics, marketing, technology you name it. Makes some really interesting observations and certainly adds content to your repertoire of dinner topics (provided that you’re not dining with a bunch of airheads).
Aravind P S
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading

It was a one place for all information, I like the way he linked everything that is happening across the globe. It is all about the small decision taken by someone to change his life and people around him. 😊
Melissa
The book is fine but reads a bit like a compendium of Planet Money episodes. I didn't find there to be an obvious overarching theme to the book, just a lot of interesting background info that doesn't dive too deep. At least the author got some decent interviews with people.
Bon Tom
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REALLY good. Lot's of insights inside. Just when I thought I figured it all out, here comes something new and refreshing.

• What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • How India Sees The World
  • The Accidental Prime Minister (The Making and Unmaking of Manmohan Singh)
  • Growing Up bin Laden: Osama's Wife and Son Take Us Inside Their Secret World
  • India's External Intelligence: Secrets of Research and Analysis Wing RAW
  • Breaking India: Western Interventions in Dravidian and Dalit Faultlines
  • Durbar
  • Jugaad Innovation: A Frugal and Flexible Approach to Innovation for the 21st Century
  • The wisdom of ants