Start by marking “Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World” as Want to Read:
Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World

Done: The Secret Deals that are Changing Our World

What if the way we understand our world is wrong? What if it isn't politicians and events that shape our lives, but secret deals made by people you've never heard of?

This book tells the story of the secret deals that are changing the world, and revolutionizing everything we do, including money, the food we eat, what we buy, and the drugs we take to stay well. These deals n

Published July 27th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Done

Radiantflux
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, politics, economics
55th book for 2017.

The book is composed of fifteen mostly unrelated chapters, each dealing with a particular economic/political issue. The book is constructed so that each event is explained by some surprising hidden set of decisions by a few people/companies.

Unfortunately, while the book makes some interesting observations, the explanations are often quite shallow and there is a sense that complex events are being reframed in a particularly contrived fashion to work within the breezy structure
Kanchan Shine
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will change the way you see the world and events occuring around you. Everything is planned , every move , every reaction analysed to predict our next moves and alter the course of the world accordingly. The author has done a fantastic job of explaining facts in a simple and easy manner. Although it's a non fiction book it is very engrossing and engaging.
Michelle Keill
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the scariest books I've ever read - particularly the last few chapters. The robots are coming for us!!! Interesting to pick this up at this point in time, with Facebook and data a hot topic. Recommended for anyone who enjoys Peretti's documentaries, and anyone who wants a closer look at what's really going on in the world. Or anyone looking for a terrifying Halloween read...
Anthony Tang
Enjoyed the myriad of examples and companies described in this book, but my eyes glazed over several pages here and there because the ideas were not very cohesive. Overall I’d recommend but there are better economics books out there
Charles Remington
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant piece of journalism - Jacques Peretti has researched the many complex issues that are facing society today and distilled them into crystal clear prose that even a dunce like me can understand. From how robotics and AI will affect the labour market, to the machinations of the big tech companies, from the skulduggery of the food industries and the efforts of the pharmaceutical industry to make us all drug dependent, his narrative moves effortlessly and lucidly, lighting up the dark cor ...more
Libby Andrews
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic insight into the way our world is run. Forget Putin declaring war or our Western governments having control - the modern world is governed by the tech companies and food companies... and the Chinese and thats without mentioning the inevitable threat of AI!! Read this book, open your eyes and learn!
Adam
Apr 01, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
======

Yikes, this book came out over 9 months ago and was released for sale a few days ago and I just found out about it now? Dang!

He's the same guy that wrote about inequality. The French economist? Oh wait that's Pettit. This is the British journalist that has slightly thick lips and almost talks with a lisp. He's made some good docos. Cool.

Oops: Thomas Picketty. How is he French?! This book The Economics of Inequality

Double oops, it's Thomas Piketty also wrote Capital in the Twenty-First C
Hrishikesh
Underwhelming. The book is very well-researched & is very well written. But thematically, gets quite repetitive. I expected more.
Ron
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book doesn’t go into too much detail and could be easily accused of skimming the surface, the author has what I feel is the appropriate light touch for a popular audience. He builds an interesting set of surprising case studies while making them accessible, drew out many useful insights, and managed to challenge cherished assumptions. I very much appreciated that it steered clear of fortune-telling and doomsday predictions, which is all too common in this genre. A light TED Talk-style ...more
Carlos Trevino
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In summary: this book lays out how business has transformed politics, how and where countries around the world illegally launder money, profiles on a couple of companies that seem to reach out through every private sector with no regulation, how china came to practically run the world, and how the five biggest tech companies practically run the countries they're based out of.
Ailith Twinning
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2017, 2019
On the second read. . .hmm. Still a good book, and I don't really want to spoil it, but I do want it on record that the last little bit of the book (and the veins of it in the rest of the book) aggravates me.
Mair Skelton
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My selected book for closing 2017. Well documented and written a must read uncovering truths of the big 5 companies, government, sugar and so much more. Secret deals that change the world what we buy and how.
Adam
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps to some this information is new and mind expanding but I found myself speeding ahead to the next section without picking up anything overly useful. The post-facto narrative quality feels more like weaving a story over history rather than uncovering a grand conspiracy or design. It is unsurprising to hear that innovation springs up in the minds of individuals who challenge any existing system, the world is changed by us and governments can only regulate and hold on for the ride. The few p ...more
Outimb
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This is not about conspiracy theories as the name might suggest, but actually a very scary vision about the future. It’s about the current state of capitalism, which seems to be above laws. Any regulations come too late or can be circumvented. Governments are dwarfed in the quest of corporations controlling technological advancement. Humans and humanity might be the biggest losers of all time against robots. This book is essential reading for anyone starting to question the current, almost evang ...more
Kelly
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mile wide and an inch deep, nonetheless I enjoyed this book moreso than I expected. Very well selected "deals" (cases) to cover, and even within each deal, the author selected good current-day cases to which he related the original deal's impact. Its refreshing to read a well-written book that's also extremely current - with the cases and settings the author cites, it feels like it was written yesterday. In a book like this, it's good to feel current when reading it - I don't like reading book ...more
Adam Johnson
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very exciting and rather depressing book about the state of the world, it shows where real power lies. The reason I have given four stars and not five is it is somewhat sensationalist and glazes over nuance (for example, when discussing how governments have ceded power to businesses, Peretti ignores the fact that governments still hold a monopoly on violence).
Christopher Obert
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
In the world of business, backdoor deals are everywhere. This book takes on the biggest of the businesses with the most reaching global deals ever made. It covers everything from the food we eat, to the drugs we take, to the cash we use, up to the world of business itself. This is one business book that everyone should read!
Ruxandra
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
While it seemed at the beginning very inclined towards conspiracy, I'll have to say it put lots of things into perspective. It is an agglomeration of facts and stories from business, tech, industry, and politics. I like to believe that this is what the book wanted, to make us question the world around; otherwise I'm not sure what it wants to convince of.
Paul
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting ideas but the authors lack of grasp of all things technical is comical verging on criminal. Mixing up SSL with blockchain, satellites with cell phone towers and basically having absolutely no clue while at the same time making authoritative statements on same. Saved by the overarching idea of not widely acknowledged forces shaping the world, rather than politicians or rich people.
Anna-Liisa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a one hella book about everything: politics, economics, marketing, technology you name it. Makes some really interesting observations and certainly adds content to your repertoire of dinner topics (provided that you’re not dining with a bunch of airheads).
Melissa
The book is fine but reads a bit like a compendium of Planet Money episodes. I didn't find there to be an obvious overarching theme to the book, just a lot of interesting background info that doesn't dive too deep. At least the author got some decent interviews with people.
Aravind P S
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading

It was a one place for all information, I like the way he linked everything that is happening across the globe. It is all about the small decision taken by someone to change his life and people around him. 😊
Daniel
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, brought into light many issues
I have a lot of things to research further
Richard Smyth
Felt I have just read a Wikipedia Article

Lots of interesting facts but no real thesis and not that thought provoking. Disappointing as Peretti is a first rate journalist
Shamima
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing
Ramona Plaude
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful. Change the way of how I see the world and everything around us. Also makes you appreciate the great minds of the 21st century. Definitely would reccommend to read.
Bon Tom
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REALLY good. Lot's of insights inside. Just when I thought I figured it all out, here comes something new and refreshing.
Ally Weng
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
one of the scariest books I have ever read as well as one of the best books of 2018, strongly recommended!!
Kay
Jan 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: non-fiction-noc
I got some idea of the reasons that goods change in availability according to hidden forces (and people) in the world economy. There are very complex deals behind the scenes and some of us are having our entire livelihoods stripped away without us ever hearing the arguments in foreign decisions. As I suspected, for the big things in life, we are more restricted than we ever imagine. At least in Australia we have some illusion of freedom but we should all question the circumstances of our lives i ...more
Arvind Vijh
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read.

• Futurability: The Age of Impotence and the Horizon of Possibility
  • The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs (Provocations)
  • The Shock of the Anthropocene: The Earth, History and Us
  • Creating Freedom: Power, Control and the Fight for Our Future
  • Don't Let My Past Be Your Future
  • Alt-America: The Rise of the Radical Right in the Age of Trump
  • A History of the Cuban Revolution
  • The North (And Almost Everything In It)
  • Discordia
  • The End of Greatness: Why America Can't Have (and Doesn't Want) Another Great President
  • Strike for America: Chicago Teachers Against Austerity
  • Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism
  • American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear
  • A Surgeon in the Village: An American Doctor Teaches Brain Surgery in Africa

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“In 1855, at the height of the Crimean War, Roger Fenton’s photograph, ‘The Valley of the Shadow of Death’, published in The Times, poignantly captured the aftermath of British retreat in the face of the Russian army with a single image of an empty battlefield. There was only one problem. Fenton had constructed the entire scene, moving cannon balls artfully until he had the perfect image. In 1945, on the beach of Iwo Jima, legendary war photographer Joe Rosenthal captured the most famous image of battle ever taken: the raising of the Stars and Stripes as American soldiers took the summit from the Japanese. It won him the Pulitzer Prize. Both are a lie.” 2 likes
“The Nestlé Até Você a Bordo (‘Nestlé Takes You Onboard’) boat is described on Nestlé’s website as a ‘floating supermarket’. Its mission is to sail up the Amazon stopping at remote villages and encampments, reaching a potential 800,000 low-income tribal people. The crew of the Nestlé ship hand out free ‘starter packs’ of ice cream, baby milk, milkshakes and chocolate bars to people who have never seen or eaten processed food before.” 2 likes