Start by marking “The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)

The Kingdom of Copper

(The Daevabad Trilogy #2)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  6,262 ratings  ·  1,120 reviews
Return to Daevabad in the spellbinding sequel to THE CITY OF BRASS.

Nahri’s life changed forever the moment she accidentally summoned Dara, a formidable, mysterious djinn, during one of her schemes. Whisked from her home in Cairo, she was thrust into the dazzling royal court of Daevabad and quickly discovered she would need all her grifter instincts to survive there.

Now, wi
Published February 21st 2019 by Harper Voyager (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Copper, please sign up.
S.A. Chakraborty Thanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City…moreThanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City of Brass, but the main characters are in their twenties.

As a heads up, there is more violence, including a few fairly grim scenes, in The Kingdom of Copper that might not be appropriate for young teens, but I think readers know best what kind of material they want to consume.(less)
Sara I would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and…moreI would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and well-being are left unknown. The story ends in the midst of a lot of destruction without waiting for the dust to settle, so to speak. I am definitely waiting hungrily for Book Three!(less)

·  6,262 ratings  ·  1,120 reviews

Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The City of Brass ★★★★★

“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

Friends, this was such a phenomenal installment that was such a treat to read. This is an own voices Muslim Fantasy series, and a historical setting of the early 1800s, which barely touches upon the Ottoman Empire. And The Kingdom of Copper picks up five years after the events of The City of Brass

This is a story about djinn, and ma
Will Byrnes
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you ever make a new world that properly addresses the wounds of the past? - from Lightspeed interview
The Kingdom of Copper is the second in S.A. Chakraborty’s Daevabad Trilogy, and it must be trying harder, as the first was amazing and this one is at least as good. I suppose you might pick this book up and have an entirely fine time reading it, but I would not advise it. If you have not read the first one, The City of Brass, jump on your flying carpet and dash off to your local bookstore. (
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)

Please note this review contains spoilers for the first book in the series.

A big thank you to Harper Voyager for sending me a copy for review!

The sequel to S. A. Chakraborty’s magnificent The City of Brass largely takes place five years after the events of the first book. There’s a prologue at the beginning, detailing the immediate aftermath for each of our three main characters. However, the major bulk of the novel takes place several years after Darayavahoush’s ‘death,’ Alizaydi al Qahtani’s p
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

The Kingdom of Copper, the second book in S.A. Chakraborty’s DAEVABAD TRILOGY, picks up soon after the ending of the first book, The City of Brass. Alizayd (Ali) al Qahtani, younger son of Ghassan, the king of Daevabad, has been exiled and is fair game for assassins. He's rescued by a raiding party from the drought-ridden area of Bir Nabat, who have noticed Ali’s newly-developed magical ability to summon water. Nahri has been forced by
Angelica
me coming to the realization that I'll have to wait a whole year to know what happens next:

Seriously though! How date this book end like that? Who does it think it is? What right does it have to leave me hanging on that cliff all by myself?!?!?!

On a more composed and serious note, this book was so many times better than its predecessor, The City of Brass, in so many fantastic ways.

I read The City of Brass in February and while I had some problems with it, I actually really enjoyed it. One of my
Roshani Chokshi
Chakraborty's debut, CITY OF BRASS, was one of my top 10 reads of the year. Kingdom of Copper is without a doubt in my top 5 of 2019. Sprawling and opulent, the world of Daevabad and it's fascinating magical intrigue soars to new heights in this sequel. I continue to cheer for Nahri. Dahra is conflicted and broody as ever, and Ali...Oh Ali. He is my heart. I just want him to be happy *weeps*. Chakraborty pulls every emotional string with this sequel. At its heart, it is a story of family and the ...more
Travel.with.a.book
S. A. Chakraborty didn't disappoint us again, she's a freaking professional writer, her World she has created is magnificent and we've never read such a well written structure within a book! She really keeps enchanting us with her very beautiful stories, original and interesting topics!
The whole concept of the book is intense and while reading this will be very stressful and intriguing, but in a kind of way you'll love it!
The book is told from three different point of views, Nahri, Ali and Dar
Deborah Obida
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, new-adult
This is ten times better than book one. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was hard for me to put down, the writing and characters were more matured than the first book.

This book has a five year time jump, I didn't mind much, it made it easier to understand lots of things. The beginning was quite slow but things picked up later. The fight scenes were perfectly depicted.

World building and Writing
There is a major improvement in the world building department, its way better than that of book on
Kilikina
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

The Kingdom of Copper was my most anticipated book of 2019, hands down. Ever since I finished The City of Brass, I couldn’t wait to read this sequel. I was counting down the days; my anticipation for this was so high. I am so upset that I didn’t love this more... :(

The second half, more specifically the last 30% or so, was really the redeeming part of this. I really, really struggled to get through this. That’s something I NEVER anticipated.
I feel like everything I adored in The Cit
Vishnu Chevli
I have heard a lot about "The City of Brass" and I also knew about the release of the sequel "Kingdom of Copper". But I was not aware that the review copy of the same will reach to us. I would like to thank Harper Collins India for the same. Frankly speaking, I had my reservations for this book, when I was offered a review copy in exchange for an honest review. There were two reasons for my reservations
1) I haven't read the first part. Many reviewers recommended to read it.
2) I have relatively f
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kingdom of Copper is undoubtedly the best novel I have read this year. The novel is rich in details, politics, religion, culture........ everything.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: Violence, murder, excessive drinking/alcoholism, mention of self-harm, death of a few side characters, mass murder, segregation, racism, gore.

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review*

Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Question: What do you do when you read your most anticipated book ever and it turns out to be your favourite book ever?
Answer: You cry. You just cry and cry and cry.
Seriously , it’s almost been a month since I’ve fin
Kaitlin
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one and I am super glad that I have audiobooked both of these as I think the narrator gives a more immersive look at the Egyptian-inspired culture of this world. This is a sequel so I cannot say too much about the plot, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the direction this book took, and although I have some small quibbles with some of the ways that the author acted, I think it's a whole lot of fun to read through too.

Nahri is our main character throughout the series
Nastassja

**This review now posted on my blog**

May I present you my first disappointment of 2019!

I don't know how but everything went wrong in this book. When I first read The City of Brass I was enchanted by its magical atmosphere and characters who swept me away into the world of djinn, flying carpets, giant water serpents and enormous talking birds. I loved everything about that world! I had zero doubt The Kingdom of Copper would deliver the same level of grandeur and will, once more, sweep me off my

Kristen Burns
4.5 Stars

Review:
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

It is such a treat to find books that are this detailed and nuanced and feel so real. The writing, the characters, the story, the world building, it all came together so perfectly and was so well done that it felt like I was reading about real people. This was one of those books that legitimately made me forget I was reading. I was just there, fully immersed in the story.

Much like in the first
Ruby
Jan 10, 2018 added it
2/27/19 UPDATE

ALL THAT WAITING AND I HAVE TO SAY, IT WAS WORTH IT!

I'll make sure to add a review later, but at first glance this book takes everything that was so amazing about the first book and MAKES IT BETTER. What really blew me away about the first book was the complex characters and the dynamics between them, and let me tell you, S.A. CHAKRABORTY DID IT AGAIN! Every character is such a profound mix of good, bad, and everything in-between, and their motivations, emotions, and struggles all
Brenda Waworga
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLYHELL!!

City Of Brass was one of my fav book on 2017, ive waited 1 year and 2 months to be able to read this and maaaaan... it was worthy!! It was woooow so intense and so amazing and so stressful too at the same time!!

The writing style was so enjoyable, love it from page 1 until page 609! i still cant believe this series was a debut from the author, the plot was such a masterpiece and well crafted!

Love all the 3 POVs here and i must said i never been so conflicted to choose side on book cau
♚ ember
Jan 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
I would, like, 600% sell my soul to an ifrit to have this book in my hands right now. where are magic lamps when you need them?
Beatrice in Bookland
“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

1. The city of brass ★★★★★

4.5

I'm legit still thinking about this book and I finished it days ago. Damn. What a book.
But let's start with the actual review.

I had very high expectations for The kingdom of copper - being The city of brass one of my favorite books - and let me tell you: S. A. Chakraborty did not disappoint.

Her writing style keeps being enchanting and rich but never heavy. She also brings such an original and interesting topi
Mike
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, near-east, rtc
A lot of sequels in trilogies suffer form what I call "Secondbookitis". This is mostly due to the author setting up for some grand clash or climax in the third book and using the second book to just position characters where they need to be. As you can imagine that leaves the second book without much to do but wait around until the third book starts. Trilogies overall can be excellent but often the second book is the weak link.

I am happy to report that The Kingdom of Copper has, in my opinion, a
jia ✨
Dec 19, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: genre-fantasy
I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I CAN'T WAIT A YEAR TO READ THIS.
Caylynn Bleess
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Are you ready?” Nahri asked when she and Muntadhir were alone.

He laughed as he strapped a wicked-looking sword to his waist. “Not in the slightest. You?”

“God, no.” Nahri grabbed another needle-sharp dagger and flipped it into her sleeve. “Let’s go die.”

I am absolutely fucking speechless right now. Very rarely in my life have I ever enjoyed the sequel of something more than its predecessor. Captain America: Winter Soldier, Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth, Gregor and the Curse of
Merline
Shannon put her whole foot in this book. Do yourself a favor and treat yo self to this book and these characters and this world. Pre-order this. I need time to write a full review because I'm so emotional right now. my heart is full, but I'm emotional. ahhhhh. I need book 3. I don't know how I'll survive the wait.

Update: The long-awaited full review is below.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was fortunate enough to read an early copy o
Rosamund Hodge
Heart-pounding and heart-wrenching and an utterly perfect sequel.
Maddie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I'm motherfucking broken.
Lizzy Reads
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
TW: Violence, murder, excessive drinking/alcoholism, mention of self-harm, the death of a few side characters, mass murder, segregation, racism, gore

This was definitely one of my most anticipated releases of the year and going into it I was a little scared if it would live up to my expectations. Well, it destroyed me so I would say that it lived up to my hype for it.

I absolutely love the writing it greats such vivid pictures in my mind that at times I was sure it was a movie, not a book. I liste
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Where to begin...

First of all, a big thank you to HarperCollins Canada for sending me an arc of The Kingdom of Copper! My very first arc from HarperCollins was for The City of Brass, so I was almost in tears when the second book fell into my hands. This series has stolen my heart since the first book, and I'm so glad I can continue on with this journey!

Overall Rating: 5 stars!

This book was a whirlwind of a read. I don't think I can fully explain how I feel or what I'm thinking right now. I alrea
Lauren Chamberlin
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviews
My favorite book of 2018.
I can’t say much about this sequel due to spoilers, but I will say that I felt emotions I’ve never experienced before when reading. I cried. I laughed. I screamed.
It brought everything and more.
I’m STILL not over it, and it has been over a month.
As always, the politics shine through this series starkly and intelligently. Everyone is dancing around each other trying to keep the peace, get their own wishes, and just not die. You really start to see the inner workings of Da
Alice
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars - so close to a 5 until the ending.

That's it?!

The twists weren't difficult to predict, but nonetheless, SAC still gave us an engaging and entertaining read. I still inhale-read 600 pages in less than a week, so it goes to show that Kingdom of Copper held my interest to the end.

RTC?
Raquel Flockhart
“You don’t stop fighting a war just because you’re losing battles, Alizayd. You change tactis.”

S.A. Chakraborty has done it again. She has created another masterpiece. I knew she was able to create an unique and impressive story because she had already done that in The City of Brass, but she has left me speechless once again with The Kingdom of Copper. I truly believe Chakraborty has taken the fantasy genre to a whole new level with this own voices Muslim trilogy set in Cairo in the 18th centu

Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page number 2 28 Jan 29, 2019 04:49AM

• The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
  • The City We Became
  • Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)
  • The Iron Season (The Golem and the Jinni, #2)
  • Untitled
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • The Bird King
  • The Midnight Lie
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • Deathcaster (Shattered Realms, #4)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Untitled
S. A. Chakraborty is a speculative fiction writer from New York City. Her debut, The City of Brass, was the first book in The Daevabad Trilogy and has been short-listed for the Locus, British Fantasy and World Fantasy awards. When not buried in books about Mughal miniatures and Abbasid political intrigue, she enjoys hiking, knitting, and recreating unnecessarily complicated medieval meals for her ...more

The Daevabad Trilogy (3 books)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
“You don't stop fighting a war just because you're losing battles.” 5 likes
“Because a lost little girl from Cairo thought she was living in some sort of fairy tale. And because for all her supposed cleverness, she couldn’t see that the dashing hero who saved her was its monster.” 4 likes