Start by marking “Si Yo (If): Entonces No Conozco NADA del Amor del Calvario” as Want to Read:
Si Yo (If): Entonces No Conozco NADA del Amor del Calvario

Si Yo (If): Entonces No Conozco NADA del Amor del Calvario

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  968 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
What do you know of Calvary Love? This amazing booklet will help you meditate on God's love and become a channel through which God can disburse His love in the world. A little book with huge understanding about what Calvary love truly means in our everyday life. A classic.
Published April 1st 2001 by Centros de Literatura Cristiana de Colombia (first published June 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Si Yo (If), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Si Yo (If)

Dhanaraj Rajan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
It is a small book with superb reflections on Love.....

The reflections start with the conditional clause IF and ends with the same conclusion.

Two Examples:

"If I say, 'Yes, I forgive, but I cannot forget,'
as though the God,
who twice a day washes all the
sands on all the shores of all the
world,
could not wash such memories
from my mind,
then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If I covet any place on earth but the
dust at the foot of the cross,
then I know nothing of Calvary love."

The book can be re
Eyebright
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Eyebright by: Lisa Jacobson
This little book convicted me in so many ways and in so many areas. I decided to put a sticky note on the "ifs" that were especially meaningful to me, so that I can go through later and be reminded.

"If" is a book about true love. Not mushy, gushy, feel-good love, but hard and overwhelming love that brings victory.

Were I to give this book as a gift, I would bundle it together with The Greatest Thing In the World by Henry Drummond. If you want to learn more about love, these two books are a wond
Lee Anne Cavin
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! An easy read in terms of time commitment but not so easy in terms of reflection on my heart. Love to read and reread.
For a taste...
If I belittle those whom I am called to serve, talk of their weak points in contrast perhaps with what I think of as my strong points; if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting "Who made thee to differ? And what hast thou that thou hast not received?" then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If the ultimate, the hardest, cannot be asked of me; if my fello
Keith
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: favorable, must-read
At first glance this small book appears to be something like a poem collection but it is so much more. Throughout the second section of the book are many brief thoughts of Amy's that challenge you quickly and force you to evaluate your motives for loving others. It is a very quick read but one that will challenge you in many ways more than others that are much longer. I encourage the reader to set aside a good two or three hour period of time to read and ponder Amy's words. This book is one that ...more
Gloria Sun
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So humbling and grounding. It's very short but should be a lifelong companion. I can imagine certain "If"s speaking to me later in my life more than they do now. And just, after making my way through the list, my own love feels so inadequate and imperfect in comparison. During and afterwards you just completely acknowledge your dependence on the Source.
Melissa
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short but powerful read. I was a hot mess after this book. It is one I will want to revisit over and over again.
Nathan Good
The other Sunday, about a month ago, when we had prayer for healing I came up and was prayed over. I don't remember who, but someone prayed that I would receive a word from God, or something to that extent. After she finished her request, she left a second or two of silence and the word “Love” reverberated in my head. I knew that it was God speaking to me (this,actually, was the point in the prayer where I began to cry, that single word “love” brought the tears flowing) but I didn't know why. W ...more
Melissa
Very convicting short devotional book.

Quotes:
If my attitude be one of fear, not faith, about one who has disappointed me; if I say, “Just what I expected,” if a fall occurs, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, “You do not understand,” or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other’s highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am soft to myse
Marcia Richards
This short "essay" challenges my walk of love...it makes the prayer of the Apostle Paul all the relevant; "..... That they may know what is the breadth and depth and height; and to know the love of God, which passeth all knowledge......" This is asking me, do you really know what Calvary love is?? If you do, do you realize that in essence, love is humble? I would recommend this book to every serious believer. It is a good early morning read just before going out to face the day..you will be forc ...more
Aunt Edie
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, faith
This is one of those books where I like the concept much better than the execution. It takes the wonderful If statements by Amy Carmichael and adds a scripture passage and prayer to each one. Each statement gets its own page with its own accompanying scripture and prayer. Splendid idea. And the If statements themselves are amazing. Worth reading just for those. Definitely. But I found that instead of enhancing or continuing the message of the statements, the scriptures and prayers often went a d ...more
S.G.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came at perfect time in life. Where ive grown numb after dispersing so much hope and love for a special someone to finally surrender herself to Christ. I needed these words. Amy definitely has a gift.

This is a book that makes you understand how far you are from where you want to be. Thankful for this
Christabelle
February 5, 2017 to February 6, 2017

Listened to this on audio. It is very good and makes me pause every time. Whereas the first time all I could consider was how this applied to my ministry with my kids, this time all I could think was how it applied to fellow workers in the Body of Christ. There is so much discord and division that all I could think is that if I harbor any I'll will or resentment "I know nothing of Calvary love." How much I need this reminder! It also helps for me to hear it sp
Gary B
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2014
A short book, but it packs a punch. The most significant section of the book is Part II where Amy recounts her many Spirit-inspired, Spirit-given "If" statements. Each one follows the pattern of If ... then I know nothing of Calvary love. In the preface/introduction, Amy indicates that she thinks the "then I know nothing of Calvary love" seems harsh, but these were the words given her by God and she was loathe to weaken them.

A book that convicts me in many ways that I, indeed, know less about Ca
Monika
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
To live as Christ requires the watering of the Word on the heart and soul to wash and refresh it from the stench and filth of the world, the enemy, and the flesh. IF, is filled with many short, deep thoughts based on God's love letters to us that help apply the Word to our everyday moments. A great pocket size book to pull out in those few minutes before an appointment, at a red light or while catching a few minutes alone in the closet to regain focus while the children are knocking on the other ...more
Donna
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy's "IF" is a book that is dearer to me each time I pick it up. The short "If..."s cut deep to the heart, but they are good words that both upbraid and inspire. This short volume carries a weight of understanding of what "Calvary love" truly is. I am often wounded when I read one of the short passages. Yes, I know little of Calvary love, but as Amy states, the "Searchlight of the Spirit" exposes not to "rob us of our hope," but if, "hating unlove from the ground of the heart, we cry to be deli ...more
writer...
Unique contemplative preparation as Lent reaches the beginning of Holy Week.
Amy Carmichael challenges with her life responses in light of the love modelled in I Corinthians 13. Much to reflect upon in the reading. A slowing of the narration would serve the listener in increasing the meditative nature and value of Ms Carmichael's thoughts.

Finding this Christian Audio recording on hoopla was a much appreciated gift.
Candice Barnes
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short but profound book. Humbling, confronting and inspiring. I found this book challenged my concept of God's Love and took me deeper into His heart. Even though it's short and can be easily read through in one sitting, it is the kind of book that I find myself reaching for to read a page or two most days. Every time, my spirit is quickened. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to grow in the Love of God.
Cynthia Vogel
Wise words

From a woman with faults, yet who loved the Lord passionately....and love covers a multitude of sins. She makes clear the grace flowing like an endless river with unseen supply. And too, love instead of love. A very short book that includes some of Amy Carmichael's poetry. All in all a book which causes one to love the Lord even more. What could be better?
Corrine
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing little book of reflections on what it means to love with "Calvary Love". It is very convicting as I reflect upon whether I am living according to these precious observations. This book would make a perfect devotional. It is humbly presented; Amy never claims to have attained to each of these areas of Calvary Love, but it is a heart yearning.
Marguerite Harrell
This book is a book that is a must to read and be reminded often as we read this book. I asked my wonderful friend what books that changed her life. She told me about this book. Clearly, I can see why and I cried as I read this wonderful book and we all do need to read this wonderful short book. Thankful for Amy Carmichael for writing this book.

This book is part of the #vtReadingChallenge.
Christina
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very small book, however, one that must be read one page at a time, one day at a time to appreciate the significance of every written word. This book rests on my side table as a beautiful reminder of the importance of Calvary
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, classics
Amazing book! It's not very long, but it will impact your life in a great way! Sometimes you can only read one "if" a day cause they are so thought provoking. Amy Carmichael has an amazing Testimony of God's love and grace in her life!
Lee
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but insightful

This little book requires more time than what is needed to read it to fully benefit from it. Beware of Old English. Can be awkward in places due to the language.
Davi Saro
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my top five favorite authors. Sadly, many of her books are out of print. I was able to purchase some many years ago. Amy Carmichael had a large impact on my life during my formative years. A profound devotion to a profound God.
Chan-joo Moon
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very beautiful, poetic words to describe love. It is insightful and inspirational without being fluffy at all, and is in fact very convicting. This will be a favorite that I will return to many times.
Sheri
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A booklet really, not even a book.
If I did this or that, I would not have Calvary love...amazing in its simplicity. Thought provoking and reminds us to surrender to the Lord who gave it ALL for us!
Jan Donegani
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely devotional book exploring the theme of Calvary Love and if I have it.
Quote: ' Lord, what is love? Love is that which inspired My life, and led Me to My Cross, and held Me on My Cross. Love is that which will make it thy joy to lay down thy life for thy brethren.'
Dee
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Especially comforting to me at this time.
Lauren
challenging
  • Discipline: The Glad Surrender
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Oswald Chambers, Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • The Dangerous Duty of Delight: Daring to Make God Your Greatest Desire
  • Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back: Persevering Through Pressure
  • The Christian Imagination: The Practice of Faith in Literature and Writing
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • The Loveliness Of Christ
  • If I Perish
A Protestant Christian missionary in India, who opened an orphanage and founded a mission in Dohnavur. She served in India for 55 years without furlough and wrote many books about the missionary work there.
More about Amy Carmichael...

“If I am afraid to speak the truth lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, "You do not understand", or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other's highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.” 39 likes
“If by doing some work which the undiscerning consider 'not spiritual work' I can best help others, and I inwardly rebel, thinking it is the spiritual for which I crave, when in truth it is the interesting and exciting, then I know nothing of Calvary love.” 37 likes