Start by marking “Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems” as Want to Read:
Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems

Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems (Christian Heroes: Then & Now #4)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  716 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
"Christian Heroes: Then & Now have set a new standard of quality in Christian biography. These thrilling true adventures are the best-written biographies for ages 10 and up! Driven by love, sustained by faith and determination, this young woman from Northern Ireland defied the cruel barriers of India's caste system (1867-1951).
Published May 1st 1998 by YWAM Publishing

Keely
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'Amy Carmichael stood on the deck of the steamer, waving goodbye once again to her old friend Robert Wilson. How could she have known she would never see him or the British Isles again? Amy was certain God called her to India. Indeed! India would be her home for the rest of her life.' Amy Carmichael-a bright light for God, her love for the unwanted and outcast in India makes her quite an example for me. This book is very well written, starting in Amy's childhood all the way to her death. The aut ...more
Christina Hufstetler
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Amy Carmichael is a wonderful example to all women of what true faith looks like. I read this story with my 12 year old and she loved her also and talks about her like she is an old friend. Recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
Evalina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of a woman who followed God and gave her trust to Him in the most uncertain of times. Her work was truly inspiring and a testament of God's providence in the christian life.
Anna
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good book about a very awesome lady.
Rhonnie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Soon after I started reading this I saw that it was a YWAM Publishing book, which is awesome and I didn't know even existed. Also, the writing is VERY simple and basic, but serves to tell the story very well. The story of Amy Carmichael is another amazing testament of faith and God's provisions. So inspiring and beautiful. It stuns me in a way (but also is not really surprising at all) what Amy had to go through when she first arrived in India as a missionary -- that even the other Christians, t ...more
Esther Filbrun
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Amy Carmichael’s story! I knew she was from Ireland, but hearing the different little tidbits of her early life—first, the family went from a life of upper-class richness to being too poor to go to finishing school. Then she had a call to do work for the Lord, and began working with the “shawlies”—young women who worked long hours in the factories. Later, she went for a brief stint of missionary work in Japan, and then became too sick to continue there. After that, she had to return to E ...more
Selkie Narwhal
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: Amy grew up in a Presbyterian church in London but her father died and they lost their money. She and her brothers helped an elderly woman and heard a audible voice from God, while others from her church looked down upon them. She began a prayer and Bible reading group at church for younger kids and soon was also leading a class for homeless. She was inspired by a Keswick Gathering. She received a message from God to go to Japan and off she went on a missions trip. Her bad health brough ...more
Priscilla Walton
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amy is the image of putting faith in God and letting him give them all their needs.i wish we all would have that faith like Amy. She was a Godsend to many girls and for history to look at what women went through. And she had the gift of listening to God voice and going where he asks her to go or do.shes brave to go to a place where it seems impossible to make a difference.she had the faith to do stuff even if it meant losing her own life. Trust and faith is what I describe Amy carminchael.
Amy Welty
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, a story of a beautiful faith-filled life

I've wanted to read this book for a long time now and finally have. It's a beautiful story of a faith-filled life! Oh that we would have more Amy Carmichael in the world today! I recommend this book for anyone but particularly for young people.
Chan-joo Moon
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Powerful testimony of a woman who dedicated her life to serving the people of India. She went through severe hardships but experienced the power of God and was a blessing to those around her. Four stars because the writing seems to be for a relatively young audience. I felt like I wanted something with more depth.
BDC
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent young reader. I enjoyed introducing my daughter to the life of a brave, selfless, strong and faithful woman. Because of the nature of the story they mention girls being temple prostitutes. You may need to think beforehand what to explain. I substituted the word 'worker' since we aren't quite ready for that conversation.
Shanna
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought a couple of these primarily for my daughter to read, but these little books are great for all ages. I can see myself reading the whole series for myself. They are well written and easy to read.
Traver Freeman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story. It's a great read for any Christian.
Hannah V
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story of Amy Carmichael was so awe inspiring and humbling! It makes me want to do more with my life.
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing mission story about the importance of always following God. The path He has laid out for us may not look like the one we have in mind, but it is far sweeter than we could imagine. The writing here was much better than I hoped for and I found this book difficult to put down. We will be adding it (and probably many more in this series) to our family library.

Amy Carmichael always wanted to do the right thing by God and was frustrated when those who called themselves Christians s
Matthias
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book “Amy Carmichael Rescuer of Precious Gems” was written by Janet and Geoff Benge, and was published by YWAM publishing in Seattle Washington US. It is the tenth printing and was printed in 2014. The book is one in the series “ Christian Heroes: Then and Now”. The true story about Amy Carmichael is fascinating, because she depended so much on God in prayer and she was a tool in Gods hands to work with the Hindus. The book is easy to read and written very clear, however the simple language ...more
Cathy
My 6th grader read this for a book report, and I read it after her. She has already read and enjoyed the Gladys Aylward book in this series. Amy's story was told in an interesting and understandable way, and my daughter said that the suffering for Jesus was horrible, like the people who had pepper ground into their eyes. It makes us appreciate the freedoms we have here. I thought that the following passage was very convicting, "Amy wasn't a person who believed any help was better than no help. S ...more
Larisha
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amy Carmichael had a huge heart for God's calling for her and for her Father, God. She cared for many children and as God led her she rescued them from a life of being destined to temple prostitution.

This book shares the many ways God used Amy to reach people who desperately needed to know the freedom of Christ!!

Our family has found this series to be wonderful--simple, informative, and perfect for sharing with the family. It is great storytelling for all ages. Amy Carmichael's life has been reve
Amber
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is the story of a woman who made India her home. She spent time with the people and encouraged education among all children, but especially girls since they were not able to participate. The culture and practices in this area in India are greatly described. Amy Carmichael built an orphanage for these girls who needed an escape from temple prostitution. I believe that children should know what a gift education truly is and how these young girls had to sacrifice their families in order to obt ...more
Mikayla
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy Carmichael has been one of my heroes since I first read a book on her about five years ago.
Amy was by no means perfect. She had some major flaws, just like we all do. But Amy had a mission in life, and she was wholly dedicated to letting God work through her to achieve great things.
One thing I always loved about Amy Carmichael was that she never seemed to lose her childlike faith. She still had trouble understanding how Christians sometimes didn't love other christians, and why they wouldn
Margaret
Dec 21, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Lin & Lenoard (VC)
The book is an easy and exciting read. Can't stop once started.
-God knew Amy and had a wonderful plan for her life in India.
-She obeyed God with abandonment w/o sacrificing her own personality.
-She's non-traditional being mischievous and all.
-She asked God if she should marry or not and He answered for her to stay single and gave her peace about it.
-She was concerned about not having children and being lonely but God gave her so many spiritual children!
-God is faithful as she also did not announ
Leslie
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es una biografía. Nunca leo biografías.
Está serenamente redactada, puede uno disfrutar la lectura sumergiendose en el personaje histórico y sus sentimientos como en cualquier personaje ficticio: con la gran impresión de haber tomado decisiones tan valientes y desinteresadas EN REALIDAD.
Gracias a que Amy Carmicheal escribió tantos libros seguro los autores pueden dar fe de los sentimientos que interpretan. Es maravilloso poder conocer la vida de una persona tan ejemplar. Gracias a Dios por la vi
Shantelle
I reluctantly started to read this book as part of school... and found myself enjoying it from time to time. I had heard of Amy Carmichael before, but had never really went into her story. It was interesting to be sure, lovely too, :)

The beginning of this book had a slow start, but did liven up at some point. Amy's times in India were pretty amazing, the children she took in so sweet, even with their sad stories! I'm happy I read this book after all, :) A great testimony.

I would recommend this b
NaomiRuth
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, non-fict
I don't remember much about this book because it was ages ago that I read it, but I do remember that I have never liked non-fiction books, or hardly ever anyway. And I really enjoyed this one. Someone just came into where I worked and bought it and I was so excited. I think I will always remember the opening sequence. IF you're interested at all, I think you should read this book. It's a good one.
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This is a wonderful book about the experience of Amy Carmichael in India. Amy wanted to be a missionary in China at first, but was assigned to India. Through her faithfulness and obedience, she loved and impacted a lot of Indian women and children. This is a very encouraging story and good demonstration of God's faithfulness. I really enjoyed learning about Amy and reading about her journey with God.
Sofia
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow este libro ha sido toda una inspiración. Nunca había leído sobre misioneros en India, y fue impresionante. No pensé cuán duro podría ser llevar a cabo el trabajo que Dios te encomendó, pero sin duda Amy es un modelo a seguir. Servicio, amor y obediencia son tres palabras que hay que resaltar en esta historia tan magnífica.
Super recomendable
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I believe the authors took some license with this story and colored it with their own brand of theology. Lots of emotionalism and questionable mystical accounts. I would like to read a biography of Amy Carmichael from a reliable author. Those issues aside, it was a great story.
Christabelle
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this aloud as part of our homeschool. The kids followed along and were engaged. I was concerned about the story as Amy Carmichael is one of my favorite missionaries, but felt they did well with her story. Highly recommended.
Candice
An attention-holding account of the life of Amy Carmichael. I am grateful to have read about this woman who so willingly poured herself out as a living sacrifice for God and His Kingdom and the children of India. I highly recommend this biography of Amy Carmichael.
Rachel Murphy
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Ginger Murphy
This was a pretty simple book, but it gave a basic summary of Amy Carmichael's life. She was an inspiring woman and this has piqued my interest in her. A few moments in the book brought me to tears as I so desire to have the strength and clarity of mind that she had.
  • Hero Tales
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • God's Missionary
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History
  • Goodbye Is Not Forever
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Pocahontas
  • Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Star of Light
  • Give Me This Mountain
Janet and Geoff Benge are a husband and wife writing team with twenty years of writing experience. They are best known for the books in the two series Christian Heroes: Then & Now series and Heroes of History. Janet is a former elementary school teacher. Geoff holds a degree in history. Together they have a passion to make history come alive for a new generation. Originally from New Zealand, t ...more
More about Janet Benge...

Christian Heroes: Then & Now (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Nate Saint: On a Wing and a Prayer
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold
  • William Carey: Obliged to Go
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose
  • Mary Slessor: Forward Into Calabar
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)