Start by marking “Stephen King Goes to the Movies” as Want to Read:
Stephen King Goes to the Movies

Stephen King Goes to the Movies

Stephen King revisits five of his favorite short stories that have been turned into films: The Shawshank Redemption (based on the novella "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption") was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and best actor for Morgan Freeman. 1408 starred John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson and was a huge box office success in 2007. The ...more
Published January 20th 2009 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Stephen King Goes to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stephen King Goes to the Movies

Start your review of Stephen King Goes to the Movies
Edgarr Alien Pooh
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read this book for two reasons. (A) So I can one day say I have read all of the works of Stephen King and (B) because I very rarely re-read due to my massive TBR, I could use this as an excuse to re-read five of Stephen's best short stories.

The five stories in this book have all been published before and are all still readily accessible in the earlier books. They are;

The Mangler
Low Men In Yellow Raincoats
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
Children of the Corn

A quirky collection of f
Trudi
I was really excited when I first heard that Stephen King was compiling a book about his favorite short stories that have been turned into films. I hoped and prayed for something that was a cross between On Writing and the ever so classic and insightful Danse Macabre -- but alas, what King fans get is a reprinting of five previously published stories.

Once I got over my initial (crushing) disappointment, I realized that the old stories are at least introduced by King, and these short intros are
Lisa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, book-club
There are some great, classic King stories in here. Once again, I think i like him best when there is less horror because he is actually an amazingly beautiful writer.

1408 - 4 stars. Great short ghost story, reminiscent of Shirley Jackson.
The Mangler - 3 stars. Typical King with an unconventional monster and gnarly deaths.
Low Men in Yellow Coats - 5 stars. Stephen, you just get coming of age stories. This was a perfect blend of sadness and fear with an extremely bittersweet ending.
Rita Hayworth
Bryce Wilson
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Well that was a disappointment.

As someone who deeply loves Danse Macarabe and has always wished that King would get around to writing a sequel, I assumed that this proclaimed examination of the way some of his novellas and short stories have been adapted into film would be the closest I'd get to receiving that dream.

So imagine my dismay at the book store when I found out that this was NOT an examination of his stories and films that it was solicited as, but a cheap repackaging of a couple rando
Brett Plaxton
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really just picked this one up for the introductions to each of the 5 stories included in this collection and how the stories compare to their film counterparts. There’s also a list of King’s 10 favourite adaptations at the end of the book. Check it out!
Chris
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to this, but a little disappointed to see that the new sections are very brief. I was interested in reading the commentaries that King had on his movie adaptations. This has those, but only five and they are a page 1/2 or so each. It is still a good read, and the short stories are ones that I hadn't visited in a long time. It was like visiting old friends...I will give this book four stars, grudgingly. In truth, the stories themselves deserve five stars. But what felt like ...more
Addy
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Here’s a fun game! I’m going to write the blurb about this book on the back cover, so I can justify my confusion about what this book was about:
“For Stephen King, the experience of seeing his works of short fiction adapted for major Hollywood films has created its own tales, and he shares them here: five of his celebrated short stories, plus King’s personal commentary, his all-new introductions, and essential, behind-the-scenes revelations.”
I read this, and I thought I would be reading about an
Jamieson
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Stephen King.

I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to his books and I have been one of his Constant Readers for quite some time. I still remember the first Stephen King book I read: Skeleton Crew. I remember the monkey on the front cover of the book filled me with delicious fright. I opened the cover and have never been the same since.

After reading his other non-fiction offerings (Danse Macabre and On Writing: A Memoir on the Craft) I was super excited to hear about Stephen Kin
Ripley
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Stephen King Goes to the Movies is basically just a collection of some of his more popular short stories and/or novellas that have been adapted into films. Each segment has an introduction with a few words from Stephen King and his thoughts in the film adaptation.

This book wasn't what I thought. I have already read all these stories before, some more than once. I expected a lot more explanation from King, I suppose. Maybe it's because I've already read these but I wanted more back story, compar
Tineke
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book has been described as a money-grabber and I must agree. There are no essential behind-the-scenes revelations and his personal insights and all new introductions were comprised in two pages per story. There was nothing new about those either. I hoped to get some funfacts or things that I really needed to know to gain some insight into the stories or the adaptations.
The stories itself were good though.
1408 I had read before, which was a fun story. I feel like I watched the film, but I ha
Samantha
Jun 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ok, so I didn't realize this book was going to be reprints of some short stories. I thought it was going to be more like SK's thoughts on the movies vs the books or behind the scenes stuff or something. Totally my fault.

I'd already read the stories before, so I only read the author's introductions, which are always interesting. But they were very short! And I reread the Mangler as a refresher. Of course all the stories are great but a little more new content would've been cool.
James
Children of the Corn - 2.5*
3.7* rounded to 4*
Rishi Prakash
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my first Stephen King so thanks to my friend who recommended it :)
Just the name of "Shawsank Redemption" was enough to drew me towards it as I have seen the brilliant movie so obviously the book has to be equally good if not better. That story is absolutely great and you will agree that the movie has done complete justice with the story.
There are 4 more stories here which have also been made into movies sometime or the other. 3 of these stories has a horror angle to it which definitely m
Tracey
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting premise for a collection (if a bit of a cheat - at least I got it on clearance!) - several Stephen King short stories upon which movies have been based. The collection was about half a re-read for me - tho I'd not seen any of the related films.

"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" is probably my favorite, as it seems so atypical of King's work. "Low Men in Yellow Coats" was also quite good - these are the two I had not read before. "1408" is fantastically unsettling, while "
Kelly Hager
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I bought this thinking it would be a book of essays about Stephen King's movies and maybe what he thought about them or how they were received. Nope. It's some of his short stories that have become movies.

It's worth reading, but you should probably just buy the collections they're in. I found it to be a pretty big waste of money.
Muath Aziz
R7835
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, calibre
Note that my rating is based on the quality stories themselves, despite the fact that I'd read and own 4/5 of them already. I also don't take into account that these aren't the stories that I would have chosen, nor the presentation order, and definitely not the value added content (the introductions are weak, and the 10 favourite adaptations section is a joke).

1408 - An OK story, but not a strong story to open the collection, I've never considered this one of King's strongest. The premise is qui
Irregular Irishman
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
I hadn't read King since my teens and I now realise those years are exactly where he belongs. This may have suffered in comparison to Robert Aickman, who I'd read beforehand and actually knew how to write elegant, disturbing, weird fiction; but, really, it was just inane. Room 1408 was an incoherent mess; The Mangler was trashy pulp - diverting but ridiculous; Low Men In Yellow Coats was a self-indulgent bore that would never have seen print were it not written by an author with a list of best-s ...more
Devon Harper
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children of the Corn - 4/5 - This was great but suffered a bit from being so short, parts of this could definitely have been developed more. For example, it would've been interesting to hear more about how what happened took place for the town into such a state in the first place. Just personal preference.
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption - 5/5 - I was surprised at how true to the original book the movie was. Very impressive. An original story which I love.
The Mangler - 5/5 - A possessed pi
Bryan Whitehead
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This was a good lesson for me about taking a more careful look at books before I buy them. I was hoping for – expecting, even – some actual insight from King about the processes that brought five of his stories to the silver screen. Unfortunately, the vast majority of this multi-hundred-page book is devoted to simple reprint (poorly proofed in spots) of the stories themselves. I’d read all five of them before, and though it was nice to revisit them it wasn’t as good as reading something new woul ...more
Sarah Jackson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of some of King's stories made into movies. The stories in the collection include:
"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" - you realise how good the film adaption was when you read the original
"The Mangler" - I must admit I didn't know was written by King - love the movie - gory and silly
"Children of the Corn" - A far better written story than movie - but I still loved the original movie. You just can't go past evil children
"1408" - I had never read this, so was inter
Troy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Collection of short stories, although the Low men story is quite long, that were made into movies. Shawshank, Children if the Corn for example.

A divergence that I read in between other books.

It was enjoyable to read, the consistency and breadth of his subjects of Stephen King is to be admired. I suspect he just makes stuff up:)

3 Stars
Keiran Lee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed seeing the original stories that bought some of the most remembered King adaptations. As much as King is known as the Horror King, he also proves that he is capable of writing truely amazing stories that don't involve horrors, such like Low Men In Yellow Coats and Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption. ...more
Victoria
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Not a lot of new material - a page and a half or so before each story. Has 3 stories I love (Shawshank Redemption, 1408 + Hearts in Atlantis) and 2 I am not a big fan of (Children Of the Corn and the Mangler). May be worth picking up if you don't have the first 3 in a different collection, even for Shawshank Redemption alone. ...more
Jay O'Neal
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The book contains five stories of King's that have been adapted into movies, as well as a list of ten movies adaptations he liked (from his books).

1408 + Low Men in Yellow Coats are 3-star
The Mangler is 2-star
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption + Children of the Corn are 4-star

The Shawshank movie is better than the story.
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
1408 is the scariest ghost story I've ever read.
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was so close to the movie, I might as well not have read it.
Children of the Corn was shockingly spooky!
Ionescu
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saved Low Men in Yellow Coates for last, because I was excited for the scary stories (they were pretty good) and I've already read The Shawshank Redemption. But I'm so glad I did that, 'Low Men' is AMAZING!! ...more
Heather Lisson
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Collection of five of Stephen King’s short fiction pieces that have been adapted into films, each with an introduction by King himself. My favorite piece was “Hearts in Atlantis”.

Looking forward to watching/re-watching these films soon! Also, looking forward to reading more of King’s work.
Becky Almany
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is a reprint of five stories. The only new thing is the intro to each story.
asmaa🌻
3.25/5 ✨

review to come
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect number of pages: Stephen King Goes to the Movies 2 15 Jul 09, 2019 04:09AM
Stephen King Fans: Low men in yellow coats 33 99 Sep 10, 2013 05:34PM
Stephen King Fans: Stephen King Goes to the Movies 78 104 Feb 25, 2009 08:33AM

• Complete Ghost Stories
  • Stephen King's N.
  • The Bachman Books / Thinner
  • Road Rage
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
  • A Dark Matter (The Skelfs, #1)
  • Murder in the Snow: A Cotswold Christmas Mystery
  • Blandings Castle
  • Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories
  • The Riddle Of The Frozen Phantom
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
  • Blaze
  • Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • Epiphany: True Stories of Sudden Insight to Inspire, Encourage, and Transform
  • The Calculus Affair (Tintin, #18)
  • Handling the Undead
  • Rörelsen: den andra platsen (Platserna, #2)
  • Mind of Winter