Start by marking “Taproot” as Want to Read:
Taproot

Taproot

Blue is having a hard time moving on. He's in love with his best friend. He's also dead. Luckily, Hamal can see ghosts, leaving Blue free to haunt him to his heart's content. But something eerie is happening in town, leaving the local afterlife unsettled, and when Blue realizes Hamal's strange ability may be putting him in danger, Blue has to find a way to protect him, eve ...more
Published September 26th 2017 by Lion Forge

To ask other readers questions about Taproot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taproot

Start your review of Taproot
Whitney Atkinson

This book was so sweet!! I've read ghost x human love stories before and always was skeptical, but this one pulled it off super well and I actually liked how this dabbled more in the paranormal world than the real one with the main character sort of acting as a liaison between the two. I loved the blooming relationship which was tentative but also fun and outgoing. The art style was pastel and beautiful, and it almost looked like video game graphics, which I thought was neat.

My only i
Cristina Monica
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I have found another LGBT graphic novel for young readers! Perhaps that does not seem to you like the most majestic of news, but as someone who needs LGBT in her life and rarely sees it in the graphic novels sent to her to review, I feel like I just lucked out solidly.

This is sweet and quiet enough. It’s about Hamal, a boy who can see ghosts, and more importantly, can see Blue, who is completely in love with him. BUT, Hamal does not understand his abilities until he meets with the Re
Lauren Lanz
Wholesomeness at it's finest: a graphic novel about a ghost and gardener falling in love. An unbearably sweet story that had me in tears by the ending.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Taproot follows Hamal, a gardener with an ability to see ghosts.
Blue is dead, and more than a little surprised to discover that Hamal can still see him. The two become best friends, and Blue eventually starts falling for him. Conflict arises when a reaper comes to town, threatening to end the their seemingly un
David Schaafsma
7/5/18: Re-read for comics class, summer 2018. We were reading shoujo manga romances so thought we compare/contrast this romance with them. In short, this is a romance, just starting out, really, between a gay ghost named Blue and a gardener named Hamal. Feels very west coast (Young is from Seattle), we decided: nature/flowers, sort of a hippie vibe. Very sweet. On one level it is also about a depicting and embracing lots of differences. Lots of different shapes and sizes and colors and ethnicit ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: poc (Muslim?) mlm mc, mlm couple

Review also on my blog. ARC provided by the publishe.

What I mostly want to yell about here is beautiful & pure & will restore your faith in love and humanity. It's also a huge spoiler though so I can't say what exactly is it. It doesn't even have to be the main selling point for the story tbh but for me, as a gay reader, it's definitely the most important part. Just believe me when I tell you, you will be overjoyed with the gay rep in this one.

Taproot tells a
Teal
**** 3.5 stars ****

The color palette is what drew me into this book: primarily shades of green and blue, offset with generous helpings of cream. It gave the book a unified feel, and it needed that, because it actually consists of two stories set a year apart. I would have found it more powerful if it had concluded at the end of the first story. Still, I'm rounding up because of the pleasure the artwork brought me.

(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Cam (justabookeater)
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

From the start I knew this was going to be freaking cute as heck. The character designs reminded me of Lance and Hunk from Voltron so much and that just made it even more enjoyable for me.

This graphic novel filled me with joy and even bitter-sweetness in some parts. The colors were lively and beautiful and it's the perfect soothing read we need in times like these.

I loved the diverse cast, especially the main
Schizanthus Nerd
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was drawn to Keezy Young's Taproot by the paranormal story elements and the interesting use of muted colours on the cover. Both indicated that this graphic novel would stand apart from others I've previously read. While I'm used to graphic novels that are brightly coloured and full of action sequences, I felt like I was floating through a dream while reading Taproot.

Hamal has been able to see ghosts since childhood when he thought they were imaginary friends. Hamal works as a gardener at Mr.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Well, that was officially one of the cutest things I've ever read.

Taproot follows the stories of two boys who fall in love: the catch is, one's a ghost! Blue has been stuck in between the world of the living and the great beyond for a while when he meets the first human who's ever seen him, a gardener named Hamal. When a Reaper informs the boys that Hamal is actually an accidental necromancer, they're given a very specific task: restore order to the local forest, or suffer the consequences of a
Romie
This is simply the story of Blue and Hamal. One is a ghost, and the other can see dead people. One is in love with his best friend, the other is trying to hide his feeling.
Nobody knows why, but ghosts are suddenly seeing a dark forest where everything seems to be dead, and it looks like it has something to do with Hamal.

This is a really cute story, I personally really liked the art style and the colours chose by the artist, it’s just so pleasing to the eye!
I wish it had been longer because somet
Mir
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, fantasy, ghosts

The art was very pretty, the characters were very sympathetic, the creepy forest was very creepy, the romance was very sweet, and the jokes were very punny. My only complaint is that I would have liked it to be longer, not just because I was enjoying it so much but because I think the suspense needed to be drawn out a bit for greater impact.

Will definitely pick up anything else Young creates!
Catherine
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novel
I wanted to love this, but Taproot was a disappointing book for me. The artwork was nice and the story was sweet (could've done with more meat on its bones, imo) but altogether I was underwhelmed.

ps If you're looking for LGBT graphic novels to read I'd recommend One Hundred Nights of Hero and Nimona, which I thought were both excellent.
Natasha
Review also on my blog

Twitter

Bookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was short but impactful. It a short and sweet story but is able to make you connect with the character's immediately. The art style of the graphic novel is gorgeous, I liked how colour was used throughout the graphic novel. The ghosts were mostly blue sort of colour which made them blend in more with their surroundings, probably because they're dead. But at the same ti
Elizabeth A
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-ya, graphix, 2018
The author mission was to "draw and write stories she wanted to see more of growing up - stories starring queer characters, brightness, a little creepiness, and a lot of heart."

This is a cute comic about a gardener and a ghost targeted at a teen audience. I liked the art, the diversity on the page, and the queer romance, but the plot itself was not developed enough for me. I am delighted that books like these exist today, and hope it finds its way into the hands of a youngster in need of some li
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-physical
well, this was a DELIGHT. beautiful art, themes everyone can relate to, and an adorable queer romance. this is one of those short books that manages to tick all the boxes, even in such a small amount of pages!
Manon the Malicious
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Taproot tells the story of Blue and Hamal. Blue is a ghost and Hamal is his best friend. Hamal is human but he can see ghosts.
Problem is, the world starts disappearing for the ghosts and they are sent to a scary forest where everything is dead…

I had a great time reading this. It’s a really short story but with a lot of heart. The characters were great and very well painted, I was really rooting for them.
The artwork was interes
Skye Kilaen
Quiet little queer romance graphic novel about a ghost and a gardener who can see ghosts, with a bit of supernatural drama arising from the gardener's powers. It's structured a bit strangely IMHO, like one complete story and then a very long epilogue. Fine with me, though, since I found the art, the atmosphere, and the emotional connection between the two characters compelling. The color scheme feels very different and distinctive, and I would love to shop at Hamal's plant nursery. (If I could k ...more
Rod Brown
A sweet and gentle, slow-paced, supernatural gay romance.

From the cover, I thought the main characters were female for some reason, and it took me several pages to shake off this misconception.

Oddly, the main story seems to end about three-quarters of the way through, and then without any indication we are given an extended coda or short story featuring the same characters. It's all good, but threw off the pacing of expectations for someone like me who constantly checks the page count.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about two young men of color in love, one of whom is a ghost and one of whom can talk to ghosts. The story is at first mysterious, then gets to its twist and what would be considered an ending in other works, but pushes past that to give us much more resolution. This excels in terms of representation and reader health. The author figuratively colors outside the lines to give readers what we need. The plot structure is different and it works. It works as a standalone even though a part of ...more
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

An ARC of Taproot by Keezy Young was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Update (August 4th 2017): The author contacted me as the version of this comic on NetGalley was not up to date with recent changes. I was provided with the updated version to re-read and adjust my review if necessary. My original rating fell somewhere between a 3 and 3.5 stars, but now it is at a solid 3.5 after one question I had was a
Mitticus
*Digital arc gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+

2.5 gardening stars

This is fluffy and cute romance. A gardener who can see ghost, and is following by them. Blue , the ghost, resigned in hopeless love. But some creepy darkness is stalking, menacing their peaceful existence.

I have some problems following the jumps of the story, and would be appreciated more details about the life and background of Hamal (is a nickname? ). And Blue.

image

It has the hints of being conducive to a
Anniek
I just... I loved this so much? The one downside is that it's definitely on the short side and it felt a little rushed at times. But I'm still rating this 5 stars because I don't even care. This is exactly what I look for in a graphic novel: it's sweet and funny, and really diverse, and I loved the romance and the banter and the friendships. The characters are just so great: Hamal is the kindest person ever, Blue is so loyal yet so dramatic, and the Oscar for the best side character goes to the ...more
Emma
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This graphic novel was cute and sweet!
I liked how the relationship between Hamal, a human, and Blue, a ghost, was developed, even though it was a bit simplistic. I also really enjoyed the fact that Hamal, the main character, acted as the link between the living and the underworld. It was fun to see him get missions from the reaper, even though the last one was pretty unnecessary in my opinion.
If you're looking for a cute read with a paranormal element you might want to check this out!
Chloe
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was too cute 💜💜 I need more works from Keezy Young!

Full RTC!
Chad
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A love story between a gardener and a ghost. The story was cute but a little boring. The best part was the end where Hamal and Blue would go on supernatural cases.

Received an advance copy from Lion Forge and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Miss Susan
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
a cute little story about a gardener and a ghost in love. will probably make you look out your window to plaintively ask the heavens when spring will come.

4 stars
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Taproot is a graphic novel that focuses on the relationship between Hamal and Blue. Blue is a ghost that is an inbetweener, meaning he hasn’t moved on yet. Hamal is alive but he can see ghosts and over time they have stricken up a friendship.

The biggest complaint that I have with this story is that I wanted more. I feel like it barely scratches the surface and there is just so much more left to discover. More on Hamal’s and Blue’s backgrounds. More on the world where there are ghosts, necromance
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a cute little paranormal LGBT graphic novel with POC characters about (as the tagline says) a gardener and a ghost. It wasn't that long, and a lot of pages didn't have that much going on, so there wasn't much chance for a lot of story depth or character development, but I still thought the romance was sweet, and I still said awwww a couple times. And it's an entirely clean romance, perfectl
Raina
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Breezy, dark, elfin, lush. Paranormal, plants, ghosts, romance. New adult.

A young person works at a gardenstore/greenhouse/nursery, and happens to see ghosts. It's cute, sweet, romantic, and a quick read. And the grim reaper shows up as a character.

It's aesthetically pleasing (which seems like a kind of weird thing to note about a graphic novel), and the panels are easy to follow. It's a story well told.
The only quibble I have is with the lettering, which feels overly generated, dry and generi
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This was a very cute graphic novel that would fit great into any diversity challenge. The main story focuses on the gay romance between Hamal and Blue (who's dead), but with some interesting side stories. The art was really nice and especially the colours used made it all stand out beautifully. I would certainly recommend it!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest re

• Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Witchlight
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Snapdragon
  • Bloom
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Eat, and Love Yourself
  • A Dream for Three (Emma and Violette, #1)
  • Gender Queer
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
Keezy Young is a queer, nonbinary comic artist and illustrator based out of Seattle.

Keezy grew up drawing on their mother's walls, sneakily staying up late to read by nightlight, and later, cutting class to go to the library and sketch. Any opportunity to con their teachers into letting them illustrate a book report instead of writing one was taken. Although their art is self-taught, they credit