Start by marking “Servant of the Forest: A fairy tale retelling” as Want to Read:
Servant of the Forest: A fairy tale retelling

Servant of the Forest: A fairy tale retelling

“Remember to be wild,” Orabella’s mother would say.
But her mother is dead and Orabella’s days are taken up with chores for the small estate that barely keeps her stepmother and stepsisters fed.
Then an invitation arrives. The King is throwing a three day party for the Prince, a last attempt to find a cure for the curse that will claim him on his twentieth birthday. The wi
Published September 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Servant of the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant of the Forest

Shay
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I take back any ill thought I've ever had towards Cinderella retellings! Full disclosure: I normally shy away from "Cinderella" tales in general. She's never been a favorite princess of mine so naturally I don't tend to seek out those stories. Servant of the Forest, however, captured my attention and sucked me into a scintillating world of magic! What a remarkable and enchanting retelling! A delightful balance of the original story and the enchantment Shona weaves!

Think of this book as a Cindere
Romee Darling
4.5

I received a free early copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

"She was as wild as her magic"

What a delightful magical read that was! Cinderella was my favorite fairytale as a little girl and I grew up watching so many retellings of it. You could say I've kind of already saw most of the originality that could be add to the original tale. Well, I guess not. This book has totally surprised me with its originality, magical twist and the abundance of mythology and world building. I
J.L. Slipak
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr
Yes... a five star... for a re-telling, from me...

Well, well, I am pleasantly surprised! The author has managed to give a new dimension to the saying "wicked stepmother/sisters, and in a retelling none the less. Very well done.

I avoid retellings like the plague. It used to bother me that authors were taking classics written by amazing individuals and changing them to suit their own desires/needs, for a best seller... Now, after picking and chosing my way through some, since I'm asked to read and
Francais Parker
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you follow my reviews, you know the drill! First, comes the grades, then any thoughts, gushing or notes I have, and then a ruling for clean-readers.

World-building: A+
Mythology: A
Plot-Twists: A
Suspense: A (particularly in the second half of the book!)
Girl Power: A+
Guy Hero: A-
Villains: A++
Love Interests: A
Feels: A++

This book had me hooked in the first few pages... I ended up finishing it in one sitting. I could not put it down! "Servant of the Forest" is an excellent coming-of-age story filled
Lectiophile
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I would like to thank the author for sharing this magical book.. I completely enjoyed it. The way Cinderella's story was recreated was spellbinding, very thrilling, and absolutely romantic..

Here's wishing Shona good luck for all her future works, and lots of love :)
Airwreckah
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite a few typos and some thin writing.
Ana (thestarslisten)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I would like to thank the author Shona Husk for the ARC I received via email.

I know what I'm about to say is really cliche but I do mean it. This is no ordinary Cinderella retelling. The events are guided by the original fairy tale but this book has its own world. I can even almost favor this over the original. Well written and well thought out, there were no loose ends.

It's got witches, curses, potions and lots of pretty dresses, it's a three day party what do you expect. It has the right amoun
Susi Matthews
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating!

As charming as any fairy tale I've ever read; faithful to the story's basic premise but soaring beyond it with brilliant narrative, masterful characterizations and glorious prose. I couldn't put it down. I could see the story with mind's eye as I read; always my sign of excellent writing. A Classic story of good vs. evil with ensuing lessons hard won, love winning along with Right and lovely to see nature drawn as a force for Right. I will read anything this author writes.
Samantha Russell
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Shona Husk has created another fantastic fantasy tale putting an enchanting twist on a Classic fairytale! I fell in love with Orabella and Gauthier as well with the magic of the re-make of the story. Cinderella has nothing on this story and you thought her step-sisters and step-mom were villainous, the step family here are spellbindingly wicked!
Jill
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, own
I enjoyed this retelling of the Cinderella fairy tale. It was just different enough to be interesting and still be the basic story. It was self-published and the lack of a real editor showed but I would still recommend it.
Hillarity
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clean, cute, simple, and well-imagined. Perfect for a bed-timd read. I enjoyed the characters and the simplicity of the plot. I also enjoyed trying to figure out the various characters' motivations.
Chelle
Mar 18, 2018
Bert
Jul 26, 2018
Advanced Copies f...: fairy tale retelling (fantasy) 26 89 Sep 04, 2017 09:10AM

• Conjuring Destiny (Brides of Prophecy #3)
  • The Flame and the Shadow  (The  Four-Sided Pentacle, #1)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Savage Sun (Savage #34)
  • Under the Looking Glass
  • Lady Ann's Excellent Adventure
  • A Mate For Brynn (The Program, #6.5)
  • Warlords and Wastrels (The Duelists Trilogy #3)
  • Wolf Hall
  • The Great Easter Bunny Hunt (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #9.8)
  • Fallen Star (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7.6)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Wayward One (Waywroth Academy, #1)
  • The Sleep of Stone
  • My Boyfriend and Other Enemies
  • KCPD Protector (The Precinct #23)
  • Once Upon A Twisted Time (Twisted Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Sweet Adventure (Klaus Brothers, #3)
Shona Husk lives in Western Australia at the edge of the Indian Ocean. Blessed with a lively imagination she spent most of her childhood making up stories. As an adult she discovered romance novels and hasn’t looked back. Drawing on history and myth, she writes about heroes who are armed and dangerous but have a heart of gold—sometimes literally.

With stories ranging from sensual to scorching, she