Jump to ratings and reviews

Old Money Roulette #1

Queen of Diamonds

His enemy. His partner. His whore.
His mind games. Her morals.

The road to hell...
Well, there is no road to hell.
I already live there.

I was forced to partake in a rigged game of seduction, manipulation, and murder.

Mateo Remmington is my formidable opponent.

He makes the devil look like a saint.

He’s immoral.
He's ruthless.
He's a goddamn king.

King of a clandestine empire who sits on a throne covered in innocents’ blood.

I’ve become his obsession.
He’s becoming my deadly addiction.

And if I make one wrong move he’ll end my life.

244 pages, Paperback

First published April 20, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Natalie Bennett

127 books2,378 followers
Lover of all things pǝʇsıʍʇ & unusual.

I write unconventional 'romance' with strong elements of horror.

Find all my links here!
linktr.ee/AuthornatB

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
77 (8%)
1 star
33 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 139 reviews
Profile Image for ❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books.
2,116 reviews7,139 followers
April 16, 2018
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MY REVIEW can also be found on my blog:
KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

QUEEN OF DIAMONDS: Is BOOK#1 in the series (Old Money Roulette) and by new to me ‘Author Natalie Bennett.’ In this we meet Mateo Remmington & Elena

I never intended to fall in love with a drug lord, And our kind of love-it was doomed from the first kiss.

This book took me by surprise straight away in the beginning your thrown into a bit of a gritty situation, my heart rate picked up wondering where this author was going to take me on this journey and from the get go she had my undivided attention..

One early morning Elena arrives home to a scene that set the stage in the beginning of this book, a door kicked in, furniture haphazard all over the place, but it’s what she encountered in her Aunts room had her fearing what her next step was going to be. She knew she couldn’t call the police which had been instilled in her at a young age if anything were to go wrong the only option left to her was calling her Uncle who immediately took charge and brought her back to one of the most affluent areas near the island of Vice City Remmington Hill Estates - in other words, home sweet home.

Also her sister is missing, presumed dead. The only lead to go by was her abandoned mangled car at the bottom of a ravine. Deep down Elena thought her to be alive.

Meeting the notorious Mateo Remmington on the saddest day when two caskets are lowered into the ground stayed in her mind long after the funeral ended. Two coffins, side by side, one empty the other not. Only the person or persons responsible for the death of her Aunt would know that her sister wasn't laid to rest beside her.

I had heavy aversions to rich, corrupted men in suits. For him, I could see myself making an exception.

This is where things between the two pick up, she's slowly getting immersed into the life that she was sent away from by her doting parents. Things aren't what they seem.

I completely and utterly inhaled this, being that this was a new author to me I didn't go into this with any preconceived perceptions, totally blind, her writing style hooked me from the get go and the storyline had me loving everything about this book from the very first chapter, I didn't want to put it down, I couldn't put it down. A phenomenal stepping stone to what I can guess is going to be an amazing series. If like me you enjoy a gritty mafia read then look no further than this, highly recommend.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Profile Image for Dri ✰.
693 reviews209 followers
July 1, 2018
★ 3 stars!! ★

Hmmm despite all the cruelty and extreme violence, this book didn’t impress me that much.
I couldn’t connect with the story or characters...
I think I have to see what will come next to really have an opinion whether I like it or not.
Profile Image for The Sassy Bookworm.
3,267 reviews2,273 followers
April 15, 2018

description~WRITING - PLOT - PACE~
I LOVE this author. I pretty much say that every time I have the pleasure of reviewing one of her books. Nobody does dark and twisted better than Natalie Bennett. So it will come as no surprise that I completely loved this one as well. That said, this was probably the tamest book I have read by her to date. I'm guessing things will kick up a notch in the twisted department over the course of the last two books. So deets...the writing (as always) was excellent. It is a fairly short book that took me less than two hours to read so the pace was quite quick. The plot was super engaging and was a great setup for the next two books. It was told in dual POVs. It was semi-dark. There was torture and graphic violence. Last, it ends on a cliffhanger that left me dying to get my hands on book two.

~HERO~
MATEO...Mateo has me ALL kinds of intrigued. We really just scratch the surface of his character in this book so I don't have a lot to say about him. I loved the tidbits the author dolled out to us so far. He was sexy. He was alpha. He was cruel. He was bada$$.

~HEROINE~
ELENA...Elena was equally intriguing to me. Again, as with Mateo's character, we are just starting to see what makes her tick. There are a lot of secrets yet to be revealed and I have a feeling we are going to see a stronger more f-cked up Elena in the upcoming books. The glimpses we got of her so far I loved.

~SECONDARY CHARACTERS~
There were quite a few secondary characters mentioned in this one, but not many of them get a lot of page space. I am dying to read more about Mateo's brothers, as well as Elena's friends and family.

~HEAT LEVEL~
LOW. There are a few moderately hot sex scenes in this one, but I would say it was a little on the tamer side then what I am used to from this author. I am sure things will get spicier over the course of the rest of the series.

~ANGST LEVEL - SEXUAL HISTORIES~
High. There are a lot of secrets and lies taking place on both sides. I am not sure what game Mateo is playing or to what end. I am not sure what Elena is hiding. My stomach is in knots over Elena's growing feelings and what Mateo has up his sleeve. Ugh...I need book two now (lol). Neither were virgins and there was no OW or OM drama.

~IN THE END~
I loved it. It was a solid start to what (I believe) is going to be an excellent series. The writing was great. The plot was deliciously intriguing. It was (semi) dark and twisted. The characters were very intriguing. All I can say is; "Bring on book two!" Therefore yours truly is going to give this one two solid thumbs up.description

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Profile Image for Bex (Beckie Bookworm).
1,875 reviews1,194 followers
November 11, 2019
35f1b-trilogy_cover2breveal2bbanner.jpg

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️STARS
ARC BOOK REVIEW
Release Date-20/4/18

This story is so very intriguing and though I'm not quite sure yet what is occurring here yet I am certainly very invested In finding out.

lxnAZQu.gif

So I was a newcomer to this author until very recently and what I have ultimately learned with this particular writer is to expect anything.
Natalie Bennet has an extensive imagination and is not afraid to push the envelope in terms of shock and questionable behaviour.
"Queen Of Diamonds" being the first in a series, is an introduction to a new world and as such, I think here, we are just finding our feet.
I am actually expecting big things to come and I feel book one here sets events up very nicely for the future.
In "Queen Of Diamonds" we get a glimpse into the criminal world of Mateo Remmington and especially start to learn the beginnings of what makes him tick.
We have also introduced to Elena the female interest and just as we start to get a handle on where this might be going
BAM!!!
All the cards are thrown in the air and the timeline muddied to reflect confusion on all current events.
I Have no idea what Mateo's game is or what has happened to Elana's twin.
But I'm sure gaging to find out.

giphy (2).gif

So "Queen of Diamonds has all the initial ingredients to make this series an amazingly epic endeavour.
I'm really looking forward to delving much deeper into this tapestry of unique and engaging individuals.
This book has a fantastic debuting cast and is set in a criminal world that is as captivating as it is compelling.
It's told in dual POV which is my favourite type of storytelling.
And manages from the start to snag and keep my attention.
At the moment, I am loving Elana warts and all and Mateo, I am reserving judgement till I know his ultimate end game.
This is a great start to what seems to be an interesting new story.
I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment, can't wait to see where the author is taking this.
Thank You to the Author for providing me with an ARC of "Queen Of Diamonds" (Old Money Roulette #1) of which I have reviewed voluntary.
All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

515PcaXVWwL

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com
Profile Image for Simply Love Book Reviews.
6,895 reviews819 followers
April 20, 2018

As with each of Natalie Bennett’s stories, I‘m drawn in, I’m entertained, but I’m not quite sure what I’ve just read…

When I read her books, I always feel as if I’ve missed something, and Queen of Diamonds is a prime example. Tidbits will be mentioned that don’t make sense to me, and I wonder if I’ve missed prior references that would make things more clear. I assume that this is the author’s way of keeping up the suspense by doling out the story slowly, one puzzle piece at a time until the entire picture is revealed. But I never get the sense of something slowly and inevitably being constructed. Instead, I feel as if I have all of these random pieces that I can’t quite put together. I enjoy myself as I read, but I’m sure I’m missing a lot. I know it will eventually come to a head with a huge revelation, but until then, I feel like I’ve overlooked integral points in the tale.

That’s not to say that the story isn’t interesting. Mateo and Elena are an explosive couple and their interactions are steamy and sordid. But while I may find Mateo intriguing, I haven’t yet decided if I actually like him! I find him sexy, enigmatic and dark. But oh, so evil that it feels wrong to like him.

With so many questions still in my mind, it’s difficult to review what really amounts to half a story at this point. Queen of Diamonds is engaging and dark and pulls you in. I just hope it all comes together as well.
Profile Image for Arena♡.
402 reviews572 followers
August 4, 2020

🌟5 minha beleza stars🌟

'Queen Of Diamonds' is the first book in the 'Old Money Roulette' series by Natalie Bennett.

'The power of youth is on my mind. Sunsets, small town, I'm out of time'
~Lana Del Rey~

This book was a re-read for me as I've been on a reading slump lately, so I've been re-reading all of the books I've enjoyed a lot before or ones that I've forgotten. So, this book checked off both of my boxes cuz not only have I read this book before, I also did not really remember the story but I did remember enjoying it.

In the book, we meet Mateo and Elena. The book starts off where Elena comes home to a gruesome scene of her aunt’s murder, she knows that the police are gonna be of no help and so, calls her Uncle Samuel to take care of it. After this, she returns to the most opulent areas near the island of Vice City or in other words- home sweet home.

The day precedes as she lays not one, but two casts into the ground. One of her aunt's and the other of her sister. Her sister has been missing for long and so has been presumed dead, but deep down Elena knows that she is still alive.

Mateo Remmington is a drug lord and has been infatuated with Elena since the moment he saw her. He has been waiting, biding his time for the time to finally come when he can claim her as his own.

"Should I text you my address or do you prefer I send a car?"
"I just said I'm not coming"
"Elena," he purred in a low voice, "with me, you'll always be coming."

I loved this book so much and I can't wait to read the next book (again) to get to know where the author takes us. As these two are now on opposite sides. Will they come out alive and unscathed or will they crash and burn?

"I hate you," Elena muttered. "No, amada, that not true. While you were busy being a pawn, I was busy making you fall in love."

If you're looking for a mafia romance with lots of lies and deceit, games and manipulation, this series is highly recommended!

White lines, pretty baby, tattoos. Don't know what they mean. They're special, just for you. White plus, baking powder on the stove. Cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow.
~Lana Del Rey~

Deprivedly fascinating...

Murder...
Gore...
Suspense...

The ultimate game of Old Money with the most deviously perplexed players smoothingly ploying your demise...

I fucking love Natalie Bennett's writing, she sets the DARK bar several levels above the usual dark you can take...

It s an acquired taste BUT I was immeresed in each and every second of it...

Brilliant in the most depraved of ways...

Moving on to the next sequel...

P.s. might come back to add some teasers...but right now I m too eager to see this story unravel fully...

Profile Image for Kira.
1,227 reviews131 followers
August 6, 2018
The plot was good but I wasn't connecting with the characters. Mateo wasn't devious enough. I figured out the two things he was keeping from Elena way before the end. I was hoping to be surprised by his actions but found them rather predictable. He really didn't seem like that bad of a guy on a personal level. But he was completely heartless when it came to taking a life. I'm okay with characters being killers but they need to be human about it on some level for me to like them. Elena was disappointing. Initially she appeared to be sharp and determined. After her first conversation with Mateo I realized my initial assessment of her was completely wrong. I was waiting for some sign that she was pretending to be a dolt. She wasn't truly dumb but was intentionally oblivious to many things going on around her. I would have liked her and Mateo as a couple if they were more balanced. Elena simply went along with whatever Mateo wanted even when instincts screamed that it was the wrong thing to do. She never even bested him verbally. Aside from that, this numerous typing errors distracted me from focusing on the story.
Profile Image for  ✰  Charlie  ✰ Chisholm.
1,982 reviews22 followers
April 7, 2018

Queen of Diamonds is the first book in a new series by Natalie Bennett .

It starts where Elena comes home to find her aunt is dead and her sister missing, presumed dead. Elena does not believe her sister is dead. She goes searching for her or at the least to find out the truth about what has happened to her. She meets Mateo he makes the devil look like a saint. He is dangerous, he is dark; he has many secrets. Elena is from new money, Mateo is from old money, she is being pulled into a world she does not want to be part off. I really like Elena she is strong, dark and bit vulnerable too.

I do not want to give much away. However, this book had me from the first page I have many questions. I love how the author draws me in leaving me wanting more, the writing is great, the characters, I need to know more about. This book was a great start and I cannot wait for what is to come in the next books and how it all plays out between Elena and Mateo, I will be counting down the days for book 2.
Profile Image for Expresso.
854 reviews132 followers
April 13, 2018
I’m actually experiencing chest pains because of the final scene and that cliffhanger! Both the scene and the cliffhanger are so friggin’ painful!

Kudos to Bennett for creating the messed up of all messed ups! The heroine has several issues. One issue she needs help with and decide to play with the big boys. The hero is a barbaric, possessive, caveman who owns the world. Together they are a chaotic mess. A beautiful, passionate, chaotic mess!

The characters and scenes are flawless. The kill scenes are gruesome so proceed with caution. The intimate play scenes are Oscar worthy. The suspense is off the charts. This story is definitely a five star read. However, that final scene and cliffhanger are brutal. I gotta voice my objection in the only way possible ...

4.5 stars!

Disclaimer: This review is my personal opinion of this story. As usual my personal opinion should have ZERO influence on your experience with the story. With that being said, read, enjoy, and leave a review!
Profile Image for Di Covey/TwistedBookReviews.
1,018 reviews209 followers
December 7, 2018
Full of intrigue!

Life got in the way or I would've read this in one sitting.

I can't quite put my finger on what the twists are. Usually I'm halfway through a book and know exactly what's going to happen. I'm still scratching my head. Kudos to the author for twisting brains like that. My first book by Natalie Bennett, I loved the writing style, but more editing/formatting could be used. I'm not a word nazi, just periods and such are misplaced, took me away from the story for a second.

Anyhow, I love the mystery that shrouds Vice City, the alternative motives, and most definitely the darkness. I honestly have no clue what's to come, it's refreshing not having all the glory before the finish line. I'm eager and excited to be slapped with everything in the next book. I'm over here like, yes, please. Show me what you've got!
Profile Image for Philomena Callan Cheekypee.
3,875 reviews397 followers
April 22, 2018
I was so excited to see that this author was writing another series. I’ve read some previous books by this author and they’ve been off the chart brilliant.

As this is the start of the series I thought this was a great introduction to the characters. There’s violence in this book but it’s not as dark as other books I’ve read by her. I think the author is breaking us in gently lol

So many questions running through my head and I can’t wait to read more to find the answers. Give yourself time to read it in one sitting god once you start you won’t wanna put it down.
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,523 reviews16 followers
May 28, 2018
Queen of Diamonds by Natalie Bennett is book One in the Old Money Roulette Series. This starts the story of Mateo and Elena and will be told through a few more books
Elena father went to protect her and her sister after her mothers death by moving them out of his life and the life hat he was in. They were around 12 years old when they were moved away and then shortly after that he was killed. Now though Elena's 'aunt' has been brutally raped and killed but the worst is that her sister has gone missing. A double funeral was set up making her return to her roots which has put her in the spotlight of Mateo. Mateo is moving toward a goal that has Elena being his Queen. This book just opens us up to the start of their story and teases us with their secrets. This book is hard to put down and I can't wait for the next installment of their story!

Old Money Roulette series:
Book 1 Queen Of Diamonds
Book 2 King Of Hearts
Book 3 Ace Of Spades

Profile Image for Leanne.
534 reviews45 followers
June 8, 2018
This book isn't bad as far as characters go but i just don't get it.
It is incredibly badly edited, from basic typos right through to grammatical errors.
I found it quite hard to follow because the characters just seem to randomly blurt out new information but in a way that makes you think you've missed something. There were a few times that i had to come back to the blurb and make sure this wasn't either a linked series book or not the first in the series.
In all honesty i kind of felt like not much happened and then all of a sudden, with no warning whatsoever, something massive happened but I'm still not 100% sure what that thing was. It felt rushed and is really very confusing.
I wish i could have liked it more because it has left me intrigued as to what made mateo do what he's done but there is just too much i didn't enjoy to warrant picking up book 2.
Profile Image for 100sweet.
1,560 reviews
January 6, 2019
DNF @ 27%.

I am horrified by the behavior of the h who is supposedly in mourning after the brutal murder of her aunt. She meets a handsome stranger who she knows is dangerous. So one night when she can't sleep she goes for a run and meets him again. They go to a diner and she says lets go to the bathroom. Yep, she has impersonal sex with him where they don't kiss and then waves at everyone when they leave the bathroom. Shouldn't you be upset about your aunt's death and that your sister is missing? This was the last book I read in 2018 and what a disappointing way to end the year.
Profile Image for Suey_Library.
323 reviews19 followers
June 9, 2018
***Received an Advanced Readers Copy during a blog tour with Give Me Books Promotions in exchange for an honest review***

Well tickle my pickle.... I am completely in shock.

Queen of Diamonds was beyond gripping, I am completely enthralled I don't even know if I can type a legitimately coherent review. I am just - well I am just wow.

This has completely taken me by surprise. Honestly from the moment I opened to the first chapter Natalia poured this disturbing plot that was a forceful chokeslam. Opening up on a brutal, graphically captivating murder scene of Elena's aunt really set the bar of expectations - expectations of WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING? Just that spot alone made me realize I was diving head first into a web of deceit and suspenseful drama. And not to mention that the author's note also had me intrigued... I mean who doesn't like a good warning note to set your goats? I know I love 'em.

After finding her aunt dead, notified that her sister (Eva) is presumed dead, Elena is put into the guardianship of her Uncle, bringing her home to the luscious Vice City Remimngton Hill Estates. Elena is not entirely convinced her sister is dead, she finds herself immersed in a world with Mateo Remmington - Drug Lord, amongst other questionable lifestyles.

Because Queen of Diamonds is essentially a prequel to King of Hearts, I do not think I have a full on read of either Elena or Mateo, and that isn't a bad thing. Their personalities are both powerful, intense type presence yet they are completely consumed by one another in what seems toxic, possessively obsession type relationship. Just an amazing stepping stone to help the dynamics of the developing plot.

By the end I am conflicted. Mateo obviously knows more about the disappearance of Eva than he is letting on, but to what degree? I have my suspensions, but honestly I think it is going to be so much bigger than I expect. The webs of connections are growing in just a short amount of words that I am left trying to solve the mystery only aiding in the suspense of all things holy. And while at times Elena is perceived as this naive, innocent woman that Mateo is hell bent on claiming, I believe she is playing her cards to a bigger game, one I don't know if she is entirely aware she is playing or maybe she is just a really good game player.... if you get my drift.

Just so many questions, so many possibilities - ugh I need more!

Bottom line just from the introduction I was hooked. Queen of Diamonds was enticing, jaw dropping cluster fuck, hot mess of delicious proportions and to be honest with you I am ready to be consumed by this series. If this is the most 'tame' book in the series then comrades butter me up and call me Ley, I know this is going to be one hell of a ride. Natalia has consumed me with her darkly delicious setting - this was brutal, chaotic and down right perfection. Not to mention that cliffhanger - whoa! I am pretty sure I am either questioning my sanity, trying to devolve the possible plot developments or quite frankly a little turned on... man.

Seriously, you are missing out if you do not pick this series up now! Phenomenal, bone chilling good - I am ready for King of Hearts.
Profile Image for Nerdy Dirty & Flirty.
3,985 reviews316 followers
April 23, 2018
description

What a way to start a series!

This book had me from the beginning with Elena arriving home after work to her world being turned upside-down. She thought she had been protected from the dark and dangerous world of Vice City but unfortunately for her that is no longer the case.

Elena has secrets and mysteries floating around in her head but we are not really privy to all that she remembers or all that is going on just yet. What we do know is that she is becoming more and more entangled in the "game" of life with none other than the boss himself. Elena is snarky and bold. She doesn't quite know when to keep her mouth shut but that is one of the things I enjoyed most about her. She might be uneducated when it comes to this life but she is not a wallflower. She has issues a plenty and just really wants to find someone she lost.

Mateo Remmington is not a nice man. He is ruthless and cold and stands for everything that Elena was trying not become involved in. But he becomes enraptured by the innocence and naivety of Elena. He wants her and nothing will stop him from getting what he wants. Mateo is a mystery, he is one that even when you are in his POV you are still not sure how he feels. You know he has a plan but you don't know what it is. You know he has secrets but you don't know what they are. You know he wants Elena but not really what his endgame is.

This is my first book by this author and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I don't often take the risk of reading someone new when it comes to one of my favorite genres but I am so happy I did. This book left me with tons of questions, had my heart pumping, sizzled in the dirtiest of ways, and had that dark and gritty feel to it from beginning to end. We are left with one hell of a...wait, what now? And I need to know what is going to happen next. I need to know who ruins who and who will survive this "game" of life. I imagine there is more death and suspense around the next corner and I can't wait to get my little paws on it.
Profile Image for liz.
77 reviews38 followers
September 19, 2019
I read this so long ago, and forgot to come back and review after reading the trilogy. I’ve read too many books in between to give a proper review, but I can say that even after all these months, this was a great book. A terrific starter for a page turning series.

This was a fantastic trilogy if you want your reads super dark. I enjoyed every intense, violence, and lust filled page.

Fans of this Author’s work, and Dark Erotica/Horror will likely enjoy the Old Money Trilogy.
Profile Image for Tuh-seen.
195 reviews34 followers
September 25, 2019
Great blurb but not as good as I was expecting it to be. The characters were undeveloped, not scary enough, the main character unlikable, romance undeveloped and rushed and... I just never really clicked with this series.
Profile Image for Lidia.
42 reviews4 followers
August 28, 2020
Well, color me confused.

- ⭐ this book need an editor.
- ⭐ the heroine need to grow a pair. I kinda disliked the hero because I didn't know his story and his real motives.
- ⭐ some infos just popped up without a proper background.
Profile Image for Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic.
2,472 reviews1,204 followers
Read
January 7, 2023
I couldn't get into this story. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be dark or mysterious or whatever. I was lost before the story even really started. And now I'm sad because I have the entire series SIGNED on my bookshelves. I wish I could have dived in and loved it.
Profile Image for Lisa Mcintire.
600 reviews8 followers
June 7, 2018
Umm this was insane and sick and so good! haha I dont know why I started the first one when the others are not out yet but I need the 2nd & 3rd asap!
Profile Image for Michelle.
943 reviews224 followers
Read
July 1, 2018
DNF @40%
This book isn’t working for me. Im not caring for Mateo or Elena. Time to move on.
Profile Image for Donna.
1,214 reviews23 followers
December 11, 2018
Cliffhanger

Well.... this has my full attention. Bring on the next one.
Holidays have started early for me. I will leave review at end of series.
Profile Image for Brit.
Author 10 books149 followers
April 10, 2018
I love Natalie Bennett's writing, I love almost every single novel she writes this isn't any different but this was tamed yo what she notmally writes. i need darker, more twisted, i need the madness. and i feel like this story didnt deliver that to me and thats why i gave it 4 stars out of 5. but im excited to read more.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 139 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.