Start by marking “Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)

Rule Breaker

(Mixed Messages #1)

Is it really wrong to want to murder your boss?

Dylan has worked for Gabe for two years. Two long years of sarcastic comments. Two long years of insults, and having to redo the coffee pot four times in the mornings to meet his exacting standards.

Not surprisingly he has devoted a lot of time to increasingly inventive ways to murder Gabe. From stabbing him with a cake fork, t
Published August 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Rule Breaker, please sign up.

Start your review of Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
~Mindy Lynn~
THIS BOOK!!! ALL THE STARS!!!

I was completely captured by this book. The banter, the characters, and story had me in a trance. I didn't come up for air until I was half-way through with the book and that was only because my bladder was screaming at me. Books that can do this to me are rare and special finds. This is my first time reading anything by this author, but I will definitely be looking out for her other books.

The banter in this book was on mark. So funny. I laughed out loud numerous ti
☆ Todd
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: banter-snark

Sweet baby Jesus, talk about two human beings that just LIVED to wind one another the fuck up.

Dylan
was very good at his job, but wasn't strict on adherence to always following office protocols, like not confronting your hard-ass boss when he's being an unreasonable, temperamental douche.

And if Dylan had been wronged, he was a master at the subtle art of getting a motherfucker back. Accidentally? Sure, unless someone caught something on video, let's go with that. ;- )

Gabe was a perfectionis
Judith
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Judith by: Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
4 Stars.

I was a bit sceptical going into this one,let's face it,it's a story line that's been done to death....the whole Boss/Assistant thing but the more I got into it the more I started to enjoy it and it's a compulsive read,I read it in virtually one sitting.

Dylan has been working for Gabe for two years and he's getting more and more infuriated with his grumpy boss.Despite their seemingly hatred for each other there's a bubbling attraction and lust that's just waiting to be unleashed......and
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I'm really conflicted about this one.

Most of my friends LOVED Rule Breaker, and I totally see where they are coming from. The snark and banter is worth 3+ stars alone, and I could easily see how someone could adore this book. Part of me adored this book! I couldn't put it down, and I read the majority of the story in one sitting.

While I would say that I liked/really liked Rule Breaker, I also had some major issues that knocked it down a couple of stars.

For one, the editing needed t
Wendy
ghjok.png (535×110)

I was a bit worried about reading this one, because of the mixed reviews, but I am happy to say that I absolutely loved it !!

9661606.gif (245×245)

I was hooked from the very first page. The writing style really pulled me in, and the MC's were awesome. I love myself a redeemable asshole, and Gabe totally hit the mark ;)

I am a big fan of "office" romances. It has a "forbidden" element to it, that always gets to me. It was also quite hilarious at times, which really upped the rating for me...not to mention the smoking h
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Impressive Stars!!

My oh my oh my oh my.

I seriously had my doubts about this one.

I wasn’t sure if I could handle reading about a possibly irredeemable asshole, but I feared for naught.

This was an absolutely fantastic fun and angst-lite read full of yummy delicious goodness. Oh yes.

Fabulous snarky banter, wonderful hot UST, and oh so satisfying culminations intermixed with that lovely push pull of insecurity, doubt, and longing. Mmmm hmmmmm.

Yes, Gabe is a huge commitment phobe and does he a
Renée
I feel like I've been steamrolled. I mean.....really? This little book just came out of nowhere, popping up on my feed. A LOT of great reviews, while some seemed to hate it. I knew when some of my friends who've got similar tastes to mine started posting about it, I had to dive into this one.

Holy crap, people, this was totally my cup of tea. Snarky banter at its finest, great writing, heavy steam, AND relationship angst!!!!!! I'm a fan.

Dylan is an assistant to a wealthy lawyer, Gabe Foster. He h
Nazanin
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
4.5 Poisonous Stars

Damn!! It was really an unexpected read! I went into this one blind but actually I didn’t expect what I read! I hated and loved it! honestly I wanted to DNF it halfway and it’s so interesting that I enjoyed a book that I hated first! Not at first, I mean I liked it at first then hated it at the middle and then liked it again! It took me out of my comfort zone but maybe because I was in the mood I enjoyed it! it was full of sexual tension. With two characters that I loved one o
Gigi
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

I now see why this book is so beloved by readers! It was witty and funny and sexy and smart and heartfelt. But MY GOD, the break-ups GUTTED me and caused me to ugly cry and have to take a headache nap at 4 in the afternoon. Dude! It was a bit too much for my personal taste, but I know most everyone else LOVED it.

The epilogue? Christ, it was perfection. PERFECTION! Best epilogue I've even read.

Bravo Ms. Morton! This is a kick-ass romance.

NOW JUDE PLEASE!!!!
Ele
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 2/4/2019

Upping my rating to 5+++ stars! It's the best thing when a book stands the test of time. I loved this even more than the first time. Not a single niggle.
-------------------------------------------
I didn't see a doormat in Dylan, and I 've seen worse assholes than Gabe. I truly believe that love can bring out the worst in people sometimes, before it gets better. I loved the emails, my favourite being the last one. One of the most satisfying endings ever.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

To round up or down?!?!

Initially I was going to round down. There were just too many times I wanted to junk punch Gabe.

BUT. BUT.

Then he would do something sweet and he'd be back in my good graces.

And then there was the banter. Which let's face it. That's my kryptonite. Good banter will win me over every. single. time.

And in the end, Gabe did redeem himself. That epilogue though.

So yeah, I loved this one. Pretty much gobbled it up in one sitting.
Dia
5 stars

I loved this one! I don't know why it took me so long to get to it. I saw many great reviews from my friends, but I still didn't expect to enjoy it so much!

Oh the banter was delicious!

And the chemistry was great!!! Dylan and Gabe were SO hot together. *need a bucket of ice*

Image result for i
Shin Mon Thway
OMG! 😱 I looooooove this book! 😍 I will squeeze and hug Lily Morton to death if she were near me. Lol 😂🤣 No, seriously! This book/audio is EVERYTHING! 🥰

Dylan has wanted to climb his boss Gabe like a beanstalk since the first day they met. But soon, he had started plotting various inventive ways to murder that entitled, infuriating bastard of his boss. Seriously, there’s no one like Gabe Foster, focused, demanding, annoying and domineering AF. But the problem is Gabe is Dylan’s bastard .. or so
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ by: Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
I realized whilst reading this book that this, whatever trope this lone wolf/perennially traveling light/finds their other half is called with a dash of hurt/comfort, is my kryptonite. Every single time it gets me. Nowhere Ranch, First and First, Controlled Burn, the Enlightenment series, Bad Judgment, Rattlesnake and now Rule Breaker. If you can throw in a made family I'm likely to be putty in your hands. I laughed. I got choked up a couple times. I found myself grinning and, most importantly, ...more
Dimitri
OH HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL NO, LIKE NO NO NO NO NO

"Trying to cross a canyon with a broken limb, you were on the other side like always, wondering what to do with life...Sometimes you are half in but then you are half out, but you never close the door. WHAT KIND OF MAN LOVES LIKE THIS? " - Florence and the Machine

What kind of man loves like Gabe? Why would you do that to somebody? I want to cry because this was no man, it was a confused little BOY that was the most unattractive douche ever.
Shile

5+++++++++++++ stars

To: Dylan Mitchell
From: Gabe Foster
When you have finished your totally, fascinating account of who did what in a public toilet, do you think that you could possibly descend back into the mundane world of work with me?

This book! This book! I Loved it so much.
It was funny, well written the banter was so on point. Dylan's sense of humor was right up my alley. I laughed, smiled, and my heart broke a couple of times.

“Very aware of the glee filling Gabe’s face I’d wracked my brai
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Meags
4.5 Stars

Rule Breaker is a witty, sweet and exceedingly sexy enemies-to-lovers office romance story, featuring two strong-willed and uncompromising leads who share some snarky and mordant (yet highly entertaining) banter, as well as some of the most sizzling on-page chemistry that I’ve read in months.

As a new-to-me author, I didn’t quite know what to expect from my first Lily Morton read. Thankfully, with a nudge from some of the more glowing reviews, and a hearty push from my trusty gut, I dec
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Short review! My brain is kind of mush and I cannot put together a coherent review, so here's a mini one with random thoughts. This was a super fun and angsty office romance. Lily Morton did a good job taking an over used genre and making it her own, it's one of the better office romance books out there! I loved Dylan and Gabe, this was an amazing hate to love romance I think so many people will enjoy and cherish. I'm excited to read more by this author :)
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.75 Stars***

OMG THIS BOOK!!! I want to shout my love from every rooftop! Send carrier pigeons to every reader I know. Send smoke signals to those readers that I don't know. This book gave me ALL THE DAMN FEELS!! Read it! Read it! Read it!

The banter. The tension. The sex. The pining. THE GODDAMN ANGST!! You better believe I have the paperback en route to my house so I can have this on my shelf!

"Sometimes we think that a certain path in life is the way we have to go. We see other rout
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio – 5 stars
This is the kind of book where I can appreciation Joel Leslie’s brand of narration. The man can perform snarky banter like nobody’s business!

Story – 4.5 stars

MY BAD!!!

I had to start my review off that way because after several times of trying to get just through the sample of this book, I decided it wasn’t for me. I was so very wrong!! I ended up loving the heck out of Dylan and Gabe’s story. It was the perfect combination of funny and serious. Now that I know better, I’m looking
.Lili.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book!

Snark!

Humor!

Sexy!

Hurt/comfort/healing!

Believe the hype, people!

5 Stars!
Cadiva
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just my cup of tea

Oh this book suited me perfectly, the right amount of banter, a British bite of sarcasm and humour, insanely hot sex, a broken man who finds his way and another who provided the port in a storm.

Gabe, tormented and broken Gabe, I've had my own version of you, a man afraid to let go of his heart, afraid of love because of the pain it can bring with it.

He was an utter arse at times but I understood him completely, he was frightened of his feelings for Dylan and couldn't take the r
Candice
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Changing from 2 Star to 1 Star, because I forking hate Gabe! 8-24-17

You know, when I read the blurb I was so excited to read this, it sounded SO good. Kept checking the release date, so I could get it and read it ASAP. Sadly, this wasn't my cuppa. I'll explain why I didn't like it in the spoiler, but be warned...I'm going on a rant and it will contain major spoilers.

(view spoiler)
Jewel
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jewel by: Renée
4.5 Stars

​I love stories with broken MC's that really get put through the wringer on their way to their 'come to Jesus' moment, and Gabe Foster is broken. ​When my friend Renee recommended this book to me, she said it was the best office romance she had read since The Law of Attraction, and I have to agree. Gabe and Dylan burned up my Kindle while still giving me an actual story I could feel. And the feelz were spectacular.​ As was the banter. I'm a sucker for snarky banter, and Rule Breaker del
Lost in a Book
Update with Audio: I have become a gigantic fan of Joel Leslie. He has taken this *very* enjoyable story and made a kick ass audio. The narration is great and the attitudes came out through each characters voice.

4.5 Stars

Alright, let’s be real… anyone else think they were getting the typical light hearted, funny, hot for your boss office romance? *Raises hand* That’s what I thought when I decided to give it a go. I was all geared up to be smiling like a cheeseball and getting my fill of hot off
Virginia Cavanillas
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgtb, rambles

It’s incredible how our moods are able to interfiere our readings, or play with the way we perceive a book, because here’s the thing: I didn’t like the first 20% of this book. I felt completely disconnected to characters and plot and even the humor (the one I was told was snarky and fabulous) escaped me. But when I smelled the drama near, I became invested and started feeling it. When the rejection, unrequited love and the unreachable jerk character showed up, I was in, invested and wa
DW
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars because I absolutely adored Dylan. Gabe pissed me off more times than I can count but he was also adorably grumpy!!!

You know that it's going to be good when this is the first line in the book...
----------------------------------------------------------
"I want to kill my boss. It has become an absolute truth that a small portion of my time every day, is now taken over with creating increasingly inventive ways to murder him slowly. Take today for instance. Today I’m debating whether to han
Ariana
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, made-me-laugh
Reread February 2019
I needed an entertaining read for a long train journey and this fitted the bill just beautifully. Lily Morton made me laugh and ache all over again. It is a must read for anyone who loves first class banter. I so heart Gabe and Dylan!

Original review:

*4,5 stars*

An office romance? Boss v. assistant? Grumpy and arrogant v. warm-hearted and good-natured?
If you read the blurb, your first thought might be: Seen that, done that, read that.

True. You know the trope, the plot and the
Fabi

Most of them for the snarky banter. British humor is my kryptonite. It gets me every time.

Up until almost halfway through, the snark and UST were off the charts good. I accidentally read book 2 before book 1. I thought book 2 was better so I couldn't give this one the same rating. I hung up on a couple of plausibility bumps. It also needed proofreading as there were still several errors in this edition. To be perfectly honest, some of it was a little to mushy sweet for me. So, 3.5 stars

• Virgin Flyer
  • Say You’ll Be Nine
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Project Hero
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
Lily is a bestselling gay romance author.

She lives in sunny England with her husband and two children, all of whom claim that they haven't had a proper conversation with her since she got her Kindle.

She has spent her life with her head full of daydreams, and decided one day to just sit down and start writing about them. In the process she discovered that she actually loved writing because how else

Mixed Messages (3 books)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)