Start by marking “Allegedly” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  17,612 ratings  ·  3,562 reviews
4 starred reviews!

Orange Is the New Black meets Walter Dean Myer’s Monster in this gritty, twisty, and haunting debut by Tiffany D. Jackson about a girl convicted of murder seeking the truth while surviving life in a group home.

Mary B. Addison killed a baby.

Published April 10th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published January 24th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Allegedly, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle Donovan I must be the only person who read this book who thinks the ending was awesome.

Honestly, the psychological excerpts that labeled Mary as a psychopath …more
I must be the only person who read this book who thinks the ending was awesome.

Honestly, the psychological excerpts that labeled Mary as a psychopath led right into the ending. So while, yes, the ending was a shocker, I don’t see how anyone could say that the ending was a “cop-out”. It speaks volumes about Jackson’s writing, that she’s able to create a character that is so clearly a psychopath that she has everyone feeling sorry for her by the end. I mean, that's the very definition of a psychopath - charming and able to hide their flaws to the point where they can twist things to their own advantage, even to the point of convincing everyone to feel sorry for them.

The ending is what makes the book so good. It’s a shocker, yes, but it also casts the story that preceded it in a whole new light. When you think back over the story afterwards, with the newfound knowledge that, yes, Mary Addison really *is* a psychopathic child killer, everything about the story changes. Can we really believe anything that Mary has told us throughout the story, any of the things that made us pity her?

I’m really not sure what kind of ending people would have preferred here. Did people think that Mary would just waltz out of the group home only to ride off into the sunset with Ted, to live happily ever after?(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sara Weather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  17,612 ratings  ·  3,562 reviews

Start your review of Allegedly
Emily May
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Well, people tend not to think clearly when a black girl is suspected of killing a little white girl,” Ms. Cora says.

Allegedly is dark, gritty and disturbing. Sometimes the best kind of books are those that make me sad, afraid and just FURIOUS for the characters - and this was one of those books. If you want to be angry, then put this on your reading list.

In fact, it was a solid five-star read up until the very last chapter. The ending took a turn that I thought weakened the story; throwing
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at:

Oh my...

ALL THE STARS!!

This is a dark, emotional, twisted, and powerful novel that blew my mind.

Mary B. Addison killed a baby when she was just nine years old...

Allegedly

Three month old Alyssa Richardson was taken care of by Mary's mother, Dawn Marie Cooper. Mary would often be present in the Richardson household while her mother was working. She grew very attached to both Alyssa and Mrs. Richardson.

Six years later, Mary. B
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4 stars*

This story spoke to me in a voice so pained and confused and hopeless: An eight year old girl convicted of murdering of an infant. Allegedly.

The plot is set eight years after with Mary, now sixteen, living in a group home amongst other “troubled” girls, facing an everyday fight for her own survival.

Mary is still just as pained and confused and hopeless, and I can almost feel her not looking me in the eye as she tells me her story.

I loved this book just about all the way through; its
Danielle
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really intriguing. I felt like I was watching a true crime series. 🧐 A 15 year old girl tries to navigate life as a parolee living in a group home. She was convicted of killing a baby when she was 9... allegedly.... You find yourself really rooting for this girl and saddened that all the adults in her life failed her. 😔 I can’t say I was happy with the twist at the end. 😬 But the book sucked me in and I’ll likely be thinking about it for a long time to come 🤔 - so i really think it ...more
C.G. Drews
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to C.G. by: Maraia
THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD AND YET SO MESSED UP. Which equals marvellousness, obviously, and unfortunately it makes it impossible to review. I recommend going into it blind!! I do!! All you need to know is that it that YOU NEVER HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION and also YOU WILL CRY. Because this book is insufferably painful and unfair. The amount of heinous abuse Mary goes through absolutely smashed me in the guts. Everything was horrible. And if a teeny tiny microscopically good thing happened to Mary, I j ...more
megs_bookrack
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allegedly was Tiffany D. Jackson's debut novel. Yeah, think on that for a while.

This. Is. A. Debut.

I am still reeling from this book. It's one of those stories that sticks with you long after you turn the final page.

Following teenage protagonist, Mary Addison, after she is released from 'Baby Jail.', she now resides in a group home and is trying to adapt to surroundings.

Mary Addison entered Baby Jail after being accused, and prosecuted, for killing a baby that she was helping her mother take
Jennifer Masterson
This is going to be one of my favorite books this year! Although I've only made it through four books so far! Lol! Book ruts happen!

Absolutely phenomenal debut by Tiffany D. Jackson! All the feels! This was probably one of the best audio's I have ever listened to. The narrator, Bahni Turpin, hits it out of the park! Truly brilliant! I will be listening to more of her audio's in the near future. That's for sure. She's so good!

Mary B. Addison is 15 and in a group home/halfway house. She "allegedl
Beyond compelling. Well-crafted. Simply unputdownable. I could not stop reading until I found out the truth. It’s shocking that this is only the author’s debut!

Mary B. Addison allegedly killed a baby at nine years old. Mary’s mother was babysitting the three month old baby when it happened. She never said what happened, but was convicted anyway and has rarely spoken since. Did Mary do what everyone says she did?
Guess birthdays don’t mean nothing in a group home. I mean, it kind of makes sense
Elyse  Walters
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best things this book did for me was have me explore more about the
American juvenile justice system. I found myself reading about other high profile cases about children who commit murder, the psychology behind it, and punishment.

The current debate on juvenile justice reform in the United States focuses on the root of racial and economic discrepancies in the
incarcerated youth population. Zero tolerance policies in schools have increased and numbers of young people facing detention. L
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars! This was an intense, gripping and powerful read! And that ending!?!?!?.....I’m still working on picking my jaw up off the floor……

The story follows Mary who, at the age of nine, was convicted of murdering a three-month-old baby. Mary is now fifteen years old and living in a group home after surviving six years in “baby jail”. Mary’s situation really got to me – I found myself rooting for her from the first chapter.

The novel is highly emotional, disturbing and very sad at times. With tha
Felicia
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first word that came to mind when sitting down to write this review was heavy.

Tiffany D. Jackson did not flinch when writing this raw and emotional story of a nine year old black girl caught up in the system after being convicted of murdering a three month old white baby.

I mean, seriously, if that doesn't grab your attention then I don't know what would....and to make it even more compelling, everything is not what it seems....MUAHAHAHA

This isn't just a story, this is an eye-opening dissect
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
HOLYYYY. THAT ENDING. Tiffany D. Jackson is hands down becoming a fave for me because damnnnn can she write a mystery while also weaving in really important topics like the inadequacy of the justice system, group homes, juvenile detention, mental illness, abuse, and so much more. This was a psychological masterpiece if I ever read one, and she had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. If you haven't picked up one of her book's yet then you are sorely missing out!
Irena BookDustMagic
Actual rating: 4,5

Only few books can shake me. Allegedly is one of them.

After I finished this compelling novel, I needed some time to process everything that was going on in the book, as well as calm myself so I could understand my feelings.

Reading this, you probably think I’m exaggerating.
If I was you, I’d probably think the same.
But I am telling the truth. Sometimes we don’t know how we’re going to react to a certain book, and sometimes our reactions can surprise us.

Going into this story, I kn
Erin
Tiffany Jackson is an evil, evil person. She wrote a book that made me feel every single emotion. Anger, so much anger. Rage(yes there's a difference between anger and rage) this book gave me a migraine. Sadness, I had a pit in my stomach there entire time I read it. Allegedly is a dark read, it will ruin your mood.

Allegedly is about a nine year girl who is convicted of murdering a 3 month of baby... Allegedly. This book is a stark look at the juvenile justice system which is even more broken th
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Even though I could say Allegedly is an intensely gripping read, I honestly could not read more than three to four chapters a day. It was a tough, really exhausting read. Normally, I could finish a book in two days, one if it’s an easy read but I had to stop reading Allegedly every after a few chapters and read something light and fun because the plot of this story is like a hard punch in the gut. It’s blatant, it’s violent, it’s nasty, it’s gritty, it’s painful and you just have to have enough ...more
Elle (ellexamines)
“Doesn’t matter what you say about racial equality, you’ve never seen white families storming the steps of city hall demanding justice for a little black baby. They’re pushing for the death penalty and don’t even realize executing this little girl is no different than murdering that baby.”

This book holds the crown for best-book-I-hate-the-ending of.

Let’s discuss.

# SPOILER-FREE GUSH REVIEW SECTION

Mary is one of the strongest characters I've ever read in YA. She's realistic and just as full
Dem
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrific suspenseful and disturbing debut novel by Tiffany D Jackson.

Mary B. Addison killed a baby. Allegedly. She didn’t say much in that first interview with detectives, and the media filled in the only blanks that mattered: a white baby had died while under the care of a churchgoing black woman and her nine-year-old daughter. The public convicted Mary and the jury made it official

First of all I loved the cover and Title of this novel.

I really enjoyed this well written thriller with
Kelli
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, audio
GOOSEBUMPS!

Get the audio and don’t read any reviews at all. 4.5 stars
may ❀
I feel like if I say anything it could be a spoiler, so this is just gonna be incoherent screaming.

First off, THIS BOOK IS SAD. I found it really depressing to read about how the condition of the group home was for the girls. Even though they are considered worse than juvie kids, they still have it pretty rough.

So this book is about Mary, a girl stuck in a terrible, terrible situation after she has been allegedly accused of murdering a baby. I mean, it sounds totally freaky and it is in some a
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I LOOOOVED this book........... right up until the very end. The ending felt SO cheap and tbh I'm so bummed bc this would have been 5 stars and a new favorite. Ugh. Womp :(
Joce (squibblesreads)
4.5 stars.

This book kicks so much ass. It was a difficult read in that it made me uncomfortable, but as someone who has never been involved with the legal system as an alleged perpetrator, and as an Asian-American, I have not had the experiences that the protagonist had, and this was a necessary and welcome discomfort for me. From its "unreliable" first-person narration, to its commentary on the treatment of African-American young girls in the book's group home and legal system, to the discussio
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“It’s easier to keep an animal in a cage than to play with it.”

My friend SUSAN’s review is what put Allegedly on my radar. When I took a glance at the synopsis I immediately was like . . . .

I was correct. My enjoyment of this book comes as such a surprise that I find myself in fear of developing a serious case of word vomit and spoiling the entire thing with too much typey typey so . . . . .

Yeah. That’s really what I need
Thomas
Such a thrilling novel that shows the injustices within the American penal system, especially for Black and Brown youth. Allegedly follows Mary E. Addison, who was served six years in jail for allegedly murdering a white baby at the age of nine. After those six years, she was placed in a group home with mean “caretakers” and several other girls who don’t seem to have each other’s backs. Mary’s life shifts once again when she gets pregnant, with the child of her coworker Ted who she met at her as ...more
Marilyn C.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Allegedly hooked me from the beginning - what an addictive and suspenseful story this was!

Did 9 year-old Mary kill baby Alyssa? Could a mother be so horrible as to allow her child to be charged with a crime that she never committed? Who is the true face of evil in this story - Mary, or could it be her mother or possibly her mother's boyfriend? There will be so many questions that you will be asking yourself as you turn the pages of this gut wrenching book!

Tiffany D. Jackson has written a stand
Taryn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve ever been unexpectedly dive-bombed by a bird, then you know how it feels to read the ending of Allegedly. A fast-moving, flapping blur comes screaming out of nowhere, gets way too close to your face, and then careens out of sight again. Heart pounding, eyes darting, you might illogically wonder for a moment if you hallucinated the whole thing.

But no, it really happened, you have indeed been the victim of avian intimidation, and yes, Tiffany D. Jackson really did just execute the debut
Mary  Carrasco
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it's going to take me some time to get over this book but I'll never forget it.
This is the story of Mary. At nine years old, she is committed for the murder of a three month old baby left in her mother's care. Mary remained silent for many years but at the age of sixteen, she has decided to break her silence. What happened the night that baby Alyssa died? Mary's story is heart wrenching, sickening and shocking. She is an intricate character with a complicated family history. I felt deep
ambsreads
I’ll never be able to write a review on this. Just wow.
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
Some children are just born bad, plain and simple. This is how mary B. Addison became a household name… was there something that made her snap, or was the evil dormant all along?

4.5 Stars

Allegedly is a brilliantly written, well plotted piece of fiction that speaks to deep, dark truths in modern society.

THE CHARACTERS

Mary is beautifully released as the main character. She perfectly incapsulates a mixture of intellectual potential, voiceless exhaustion and clear-eyed awareness of the hopeless
Simon
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing alleged about it Tiffany D Jackson's debut Allegedly is superb. Gut punching, wry, wise & twisty. Brilliant. Read it. I read it in under 24 hours I was that hooked by Mary's story and if she did or didn't kill a baby when she was nine years old. ...more
Allegedly is a realistic young-adult debut novel written by Tiffany D. Jackson. Purposefully, I haven't been reading much YA lately so I put a lot of trust in my fellow adult reviewers who have been showering this title with shiny 4 and 5 stars. After reading, I can safely say the praise isn't too generous and it isn't undeserved.

In my experience, it has been difficult to find complex YA that is as captivating for adults as it is for teens. They are few and far between in my opinion. Allegedly
Allegedly Virtual...: Discussion Questions 8 12 Jul 15, 2020 03:46PM
Ms. Lyons AP English: Ren_Journal#3 2 7 Mar 21, 2020 09:23AM
Spoiler warning: Ending of book!!! 6 773 Jan 24, 2020 10:26AM
Black Coffee: MimiY and Michelle BBR: Allegedly 11 26 Apr 28, 2019 04:07PM

• Clap When You Land
  • This Is My America
  • With the Fire on High
  • Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)
  • Dear Justyce (Dear Martin, #2)
  • Slay
  • The Black Kids
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Long Way Down
  • All American Boys
Tiffany D. Jackson is a TV professional by day, novelist by night, awkward black girl 24/7. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Film from Howard University and her Master of Arts in Media Studies from The New School University. A Brooklyn native, she is a lover of naps, cookie dough, and beaches, currently residing in the borough she loves with her adorable chihuahua Oscar, most likely multitaski ...more