Start by marking “The Other Side of Lost” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Lost

The Other Side of Lost

Girl Online meets Wild in this emotionally charged story of girl who takes to the wilderness to rediscover herself and escape the superficial persona she created on social media.

Mari Turner’s life is perfect. That is, at least to her thousands of followers who have helped her become an internet starlet. But when she breaks down and posts a video confessing she’s been livin
Published August 7th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Lost, please sign up.
Megan (bookstorebinge) I believe she has her 18th birthday near the beginning of the book.
DaisyLola I don't think so, I am currently reading it and it only really mentions how it has distracted her, and how she hasn't been honest or balanced. It…moreI don't think so, I am currently reading it and it only really mentions how it has distracted her, and how she hasn't been honest or balanced. It doesn't really blame social media and technology, or make you want to not use it, it just makes you think. Hope this is helpful! :-)(less)

Ariel
The first half of this book was phenomenal. I was ready to add it to my favourites shelf and preach about it forevermore. I really enjoyed it and recommend it (especially for people who struggle with social media and/or like nature!) but it missed the mark slightly for me by introducing a romance that I didn't think was necessary and by dropping the social media aspect in the latter half of the book, which was what I'd been so enjoying in the first half.

So I still really enjoyed it, but the seco
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great summer read! Quite thought provoking in multiple ways, especially if you’re dealing with grief. And a fantastic group of friends that I would love to meet in real life. :)
Ari

“The Other Side of Lost” is a beautiful and emotional story about finding yourself, about challenges, regrets and second chances, about friendship and nature and survival and a lot more. And yes, there is a bit of sweet love squeezed in there as well, to make your heart skip a beat.

I have no idea how to properly put into words all the things I loved about this story, but you should know this:

It’s delightful to be able to resonate with a story as I did, to have something in common with it – and
Jen Ryland
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as setting-aside-for-now
Stopped reading as I could see that this one was just not going to work for me. (Aside: I am a huge fan of the author, and will absolutely try her next book.)

The Other Side of Lost is about a teen Instagram star, who, after the sudden death of her cousin, decides to take her cousin's place on a marathon hike on the John Muir trail.

Okay, my first problem was that this is a LOT like Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Like much too similar. I was always comparing the two in my head and this was ending up as a
Stacee
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m definitely a fan of Jessi Kirby and her words, so I’m always in for a new book and I don’t care what it’s about.

I loved Mari so much. It was easy to relate to her obsession with social media and how she struggled with what she was showing. Her inner monologue is uncertain and insecure and felt so authentic. There are a few other characters here, but this is all about Mari.

Plot wise it was a little slow and maybe a small bit monotonous, but it completely worked. I loved the tiny surprises a
Kiera
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance, ya
This book was okay.
I really enjoyed the overall story. Especially the beginning of he book, I felt it had very strong start. However I felt the book didn't need the romance. I'm usually a sucker for a bit of romance but I just wasn't really feeling it.
Otherwise I enjoyed this book. It was a good story but not necessarily something I could see myself read again.
4 stars.
Tintenhain
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne
Sehr berührend, ein bisschen mit Weisheiten um sich werfend, aber dafür ist die Liebesgeschichte nicht so schmalzig wie befürchtet. Meinen Kindern könnte das Buch auch gefallen. Mal sehen.

Und hier die vollständige Rezension wie immer auf dem Blog
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3.75/5

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Mari Turner’s life is perfect. That is, at least to her thousands of followers who have helped her become an internet starlet. But when she breaks down and confesses she’s been living a lie, it goes viral and she receives major backlash. To get away from it all, she makes an impulsive decision: to hike the entire John Muir trail. Mari and her late cousin, Bri, were supposed to do it together. With Bri’s boots and trail dia
Marin
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have a love/hate relationship with social media, if you love hiking, being outside, stories about finding yourself, AND you want to ugly cry at 1am on a weeknight, this book is for you. What a surprise - I really enjoyed it and did not feel like YA at all. Maybe a bit in the fluffy, "you can do it!" bits but overall felt it was an intelligent and moving read on grief and loss.
Alexa
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! I’ve never imagined myself going on a hike, but after reading this book (even with all of stressful things that happen), I’m feeling inspired to go on even a little one of my own. Also, this was just so well-written and it made me very emotional at certain points!
Meghan Hughes
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love my YA novels, but I had never read anything from Kirby till now. I absolutely adored this story, its characters, its utter relevance to our technology-addicted world, & our relationship to it... It was all just what I needed. In October, I took my first "social media break" which might sound silly, but is so needed these days. With the job I have online & my addiction to my phone I never like to admit I have.. I needed that! In this story, Mari needed that too. I found myself crin ...more
nick

Well friends, I think this book just about broke me. Jessi Kirby never fails to deliver on emotive stories about grief, growing up and love. The Other Side of Lost was another wonderful and heartwrenching story from her that absolutely moved me.

At the center of The Other Side of Lost is Mari, an Instagram-famous young woman who seems to have a perfect life. In reality, however, Mari's social media presence is well-curated and a complete facade. Underneath it all, she is deeply grieving the death
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

2.5*

I was so, so certain that I was going to love this book. Survival components, feels, finding oneself, I love all those things! But at the end of the day, some of those aspects just fell short and I didn't quite love this as much as I'd hoped.

The Things I Liked:

I love a good survival story! And it was one, no question. Mari is out on the John Muir Trail (which I spent lots of time
Tammy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars This book made me nostalgic for the summer I lived in Yosemite and the very few miles that I hiked on the John Muir Trail. Since my time there I've always imagined what it would be like to hike all 211 miles of the John Muir Trail. I loved the descriptions of the hiking and scenery and felt like I was experiencing the trail from the comfort of my own home. I wanted more development from the characters and the ending felt too rushed. I'm okay with not everything being resolved by the en ...more
Erin
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I don't have much to say about this one. I thought the author did a good job with the writing and describing the hiking scenes. Overall, it was a nice story even though I felt it was a bit predictable.
ThatBookGal
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unread-shelf
I absolutely loved this book, and wanted so badly to give it 5 stars, but the ending fell short of where I wanted it to go so I've knocked a star off.

Mari's story is a familiar one. A young girl obsessed with her online profile, appearing as one person, but in reality someone totally different. She's lost touch with reality, her friends, her family, even going so far as having a fake relationship for the sake of her social media. It takes a massive shock, and the loss of her cousin to bring her
alice (arctic books)
see this review and others at arctic books!

I believe this is my first Jessi Kirby novel, and it was sweet, short, and emotional. This novel follows Mari as she attempts to hike the daunting 211 miles of the John Muir trail. Along the way, she deals with the death of her cousin Bri and meets new friends during her trip.

Mari is an internet star, and she posts about how her life isn’t as picturesque as it seems. As a result, she receives a lot of negative attention and decides to hike the John Muir
Madison
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jessi Kirby is no stranger to writing heartfelt stories that touch on grief and strength in the face of it, and she does it again so expertly in The Other Side of Lost. Grief, loneliness, the cost of false facades and things you can’t undo are combined with the beauty of nature, the importance of friendship and the strength and resilience that can be found within. The Other Side of Lost made me want to grab a pair of hiking boots and hit a trail.

Mari has constructed an identity online, carefull
The Other Side of Lost is a standalone Young Adult novel.

The narrator is 18 year old Mari. When the book begins we see Mari and her cousin when they were 13. They were best friends. However in the next chapter Mari is 18 and something has happened to her cousin.

Mari is an instagram sensation. But she feels like that life is a lie. When they were kids Mari and her cousin Bri had said that they were going to do a very extensive hike. But will Mari do it alone?

This book has an interesting and origi
Christy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
ninoimwunderland
Dieses wundervolle Buch habe ich in einem Rutsch gelesen. Ich konnte es einfach nicht mehr aus der Hand legen! Es ist so eine greifbare, emotionale und vor allem aktuelle Geschichte einer jungen Frau, die versucht zu sich selbst zu finden und ich bin glücklich, dass ich durch die Überraschungspost vom Loewe Verlag die Möglichkeit bekommen habe, diese Reise mit ihr zusammen zu bestreiten.
Mari, ist eine junge Frau die erfolgreich auf Instagram unterwegs ist und viel zu viel Zeit damit verbringt Bi
Stella [Stellette Reads]
Überraschenderweise erhielt ich ein Blogger-Paket von Loewe indem sich unter anderem das Buch von Jessi Kirby befand. Außerdem noch eine Detox-Liste, die als Vorlage einer persönlichen Challenge dient. Wir leben in einer vernetzten Gesellschaft und sind immer und überall erreichbar. Wir sind ONLINE. Und in diesem Selbstexperiment hat man die Möglichkeit sich auf sich selbst zu fokussieren. Das Handy und den Laptop einfach mal beiseite zu legen und los zu laufen. Das Leben in die Hand zu nehmen u ...more
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
This was really quite lovely. I felt a real connection with the main character, trying to find her way in the world and stay true to herself while distancing herself from online negativity and attempting to make genuine connections with people. The idea of presenting a certain persona to the world is one that I can relate to, thanks to my anxiety (though I like to think I still have my integrity in what I choose to show people, both on and offline). The whole thing just really spoke to me, I can ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mari had spent so many years curating her life, that she forgot to actually live it. Following her cousin's death, she felt adrift, lost, and she hoped following in Bri's footsteps would lead her back to herself.

• Pro: My emotions! My emotions! There were so many tears during this book. I cried for Bri and the things she would never do. I cried for Mari and the years she wasted, but there were also plenty of happy tears shed. Every one of Mari's successes filled me with joy, and I loved seeing h
Ania
This was my kind of a book. If I were to place an order, that is exactly what I would get delivered.
I don't think it will sweep everyone off their feet, I can totally see how it may seem a bit pretentious and kind of naive. But it touches on many topics I often ponder - connecting to nature and finding yourself outside of the daily routine and loosing touch with people.

So I am going to give it 4.5*, rounding up to 5* as it will be one of my favourite reads this year.
Ivy
Kara
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
The one thing I hate the most is when I am reading a book on my Kindle, I'm at 93% which means there are still some pages left, but the book decides to end there and I am absolutely not ready for it. That's what happened with The Other Side of Lost and I was just expecting more of a resolution.

Up until the ending, I was enjoying what I was reading, but for some reason wasn't all that emotional about it which isn't usually me. So it was a good book but not a great one. I was hoping the ending wo
Dalene
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a review copy from the publisher.

"I still don't know what the other side of lost looks like. And right now, it doesn't seem like I'll ever find out."

I have come to realize over the years that Jessi Kirby can do no wrong. Every single one of her books are amazing. "The Other Side of Lost" is not your typical YA novel. Mari Turner is the type of girl that people look up to. But everyone only knows her because of her popularity on social media. When her 18th birthday comes a
Pam (YA Escape)
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book. The plot, the setting, the group of people Mari ends up hiking with. But the ending felt rushed and incomplete to me and the romance was underdeveloped, although it wasn't supposed to be a big part of the story, so that's probably why.
Lindsay
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, dissapointed
After Mari’s cousin Bri dies she receives Bri’s hiking gear in the mail on their 18th birthday and has an epiphany that she needs to hike the John Muir Trail in Bri’s place. A fellow nature lover and hiker myself, I expected a beautiful novel detailed with nature and self-discovery. Instead I read about a whiny character stupidly deciding to hike a 210-mile trail with zero athletic or hiking experience/knowledge while making new BFFs and an instant love boyfriend.

I disliked Mari from the first c
  • Changes in Latitudes
  • Finding Felicity
  • The Looking Glass
  • Second Chance Charmer
  • The Map from Here to There
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • The Ocean in My Ears
  • Trouble from the Start
  • Hello, Sunshine
  • Romancing the Nerd (Nerd, #2)
  • Four Three Two One
  • This is How it Happened
  • 500 Words or Less
  • The Rest of the Story

Jessi Kirby is a former English teacher and librarian. She lives in Orange County, CA with her husband and two kids, where she writes stories and runs the beach every day. Well, almost every day.

You can contact Jessi at jessi@jessikirby.com
“We walk around carrying invisible weights, and doing our best to look like everything is okay even when it may not be.” 0 likes