Start by marking “Superman: Year One” as Want to Read:
Superman: Year One

Superman: Year One

(Superman: Year One #1-3)

SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE from Frank Miller (THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: MASTER RACE) and John Romita Jr. (ALL-STAR BATMAN, SUPERMAN) A groundbreaking, definitive treatment of Superman’s classic origin story in honor of his 80th anniversary. This story details new revelations that reframe the Man of Steel’s most famous milestones—from Kal-El’s frantic exile ...more
Published November 12th 2019 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Batman by Frank MillerGreen Arrow by Andy DiggleBatgirl/Robin by Chuck DixonRobin by Chuck DixonNightwing by Chuck Dixon
Year One
48 books — 10 voters
Superman by Mark MillarAll-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant MorrisonKingdom Come by Mark WaidAll-Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant MorrisonSuperman by Alan Moore
Best of Superman
269 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Superman: Year One
Paul E. Morph
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a tricky one to rate. One’s first thought can’t help but be ‘Do we really need yet another re-telling of Superman’s origin story?’ and, to be honest, I don’t think we really did.

That being said, the first two issues (and each issue is a giant-sized 67 pager) are undeniably engaging and entertaining, doing a decent job of capturing what makes Clark who he is, despite a couple of questionable decisions (view spoiler)
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

How many times have we heard about the story of a space ship holding a special baby that crash-landed in the middle of Smallville, Kansas? The one where that very baby grows up to don a symbol of hope for the city of Metropolis? The one where he learns to fit in with humans although he possesses powers worthy of a God? In the same vein as Batman: Year One, legendary writer Frank Miller returns with the help of artist John Romita Jr. to write a
Saravanan Mani
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick review of the first issue and I will update the review when the next issues come out.
I do not get the hate for this book. Comic Book website had given this a one star review. It might not be revolutionary like some of the all-time greats but it is a fantastic and grounded version of Superman, which is not overly cynical and dark like the Zack Snyder version. It shows good reasons why the Alien chooses to be human. This is very important to me, because that's what Superman is--an
Bill
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just so bafflingly, bizarrely, badly written. Two fantastic creators at the bottom of their game. Every page made me a little sadder.
Preston Stell
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent origin story. I’ve not read a Frank Miller comic I didn’t find original. He is a great writer and I think this deserves all the glory behind the Frank Miller name. I’m actually shocked by the reviews for this.
Jamie Connolly
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Different. Enjoyable. Not necessarily what I would call good. I'm trying to think of the last comic by Frank Miller that was good. 3 stars.
Chris Greensmith
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-black-label
"The air is as crisp and clean as on the first day. The Kansas wind sweeps across the wheat field like the cleansing hand of God. The Son of Krypton has arrived. His journey has ended. His adventure begins."
Not usually a Superman fan, really enjoyed this.
Logan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Albert
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Superman: Year One by Frank Miller gave me some pretty high expectations and with artwork by John Romita Jr., I will admit to a pretty big amount of fanboy hopes with this one. But as it has been with the majority of DC's Black Label comics, this one was pretty weak from the get go. A battle with the Kraken and a very rough beginning with Batman and Wonder Woman did nothing to save this book. The early take on Clark Kent in Smallville was good and we could all do with more Lana Lang and less ...more
Marco
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
There's bad. And then there's Superman: Year One.
Terribly written, the art is waaaaay below JRJr's standards, the story is an absolutely unneccessary retelling of Supes's origins. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.
Clay Brown
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Krista Omstead
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A great origin story and wonderful illustrations. Love the magazine size and pages. Frank Miller is one of the best.
Kyle
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Basically the exact same usual origin story, nothing to warrant being considered a part of DC’s mature ‘black label’, and ultimately a boring romp through the same backstory that’s been done a dozen times in the past few decades. And also it’s not even ‘year one’, it’s “Book one: years 0-18” and who knows how much ground the others will cover. Not worth the price or time sadly.
Quentin Wallace
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

A lot of Frank Miller's more recent work is polarizing and I see this one was no exception. First off, I suppose I misunderstood what DC's Black Label imprint was all about. I thought it was for more mature storytelling, but really, Miller's All Star Batman had more adult content than this series did, which had very little really.

Now, let me start by saying I thought the art was really good, some of Romita's best. The story was..harder to rate.

I would say this is more of an
Blindzider
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I used to be a very devoted fan of Miller's, decades ago, but that has decreased quite a bit these last few years. Not only because of his reduced output but the few things he has done just didn't have the edge it used to. In other words, I wasn't that excited to begin with about reading this and the bar wasn't set very high.

Having read many variations of Superman's origin and upbringing, I was curious what new could possibly be added. Now that I've finished it: not much. First of all, any
Peter Looles
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the start of this comic. I liked the destruction of Krypton from baby Superman's point of view. I think it was really interesting. But after that there was not a lot to like in the first two issues. The John Romita jr's artwork was good but not as good as it can be and Alex Sinclair's colors were nice but too digital for my taste. Now, as far as the writing goes, it wasn't great. As a matter of fact it wasn't even close to great. They were some point where the plot was going way faster ...more
Kaleb
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The way I see it is, and for me, the only real reason to buy this comic is that it is Frank Miller. Anything else, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It is not a Superman comic that is meant to displace Birthright, Byrne, etc, etc, or anything else. Not 'The Definitive Statement On' Superman. The reason to buy is Frank Miller's sensibilities (disappointment, otherwise).

Some stuff on Miller's content, then (only read #1 myself, so far). You can appreciate Miller in an ongoing
James Lawner
Trey
Dec 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
So, so bad. The worst Superman book I can think of off the top of my head.

In general, I'm not a fan of John Romita, Jr.'s art, so not even the pictures could save Frank Miller's overwrought, ridiculous script. He managed to entirely miss the heart and tone of the character. As soon as Clark Kent joined the Navy (??), I wondered if Miller truly thought he had turned in a good script, or if that was even his goal. (Sample caption: "Then. Targeting systems lock. Torpedo strike. Volcanic gas
Stratospherus
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sorry, but I think I will skip it this further. Miller wrote this and it can't be good. I idealize his work before Sin City, but after few SC books and atrocious TDKSA, that man lost his mind.
Here, Miller is in his game, given this is Black Label product, but Miller never pushed it further to it, and at the same time, he remained shy as possible. Like as is he was holding his darker side onto the hero who was anything but dark. But I blame DC editorial for this.
As for the story, this, as title
Sasha
Nov 16, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-and-read, gifted
I didn't love this book, because I'm not a fan of Superman. If you do like Superman though, you'll probably love this one. The art is absolutely amazing and detailed! The naked cover is stunning and it also has lots of bonus art!
It's a good introduction to Superman if you've not read any comics about him before, because it goes back to his origin story and first adventures. One thing that stood out was the writing - in a comic, it's usually simple, but in this one it read like prose, which I
Jason
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Eli
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Imagine if someone wrote the Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in the absolute worst possible ways. Superman as an arrogant ultra-strong, amazing alien to be looked up to who is motivated almost entirely by a sense of morality that isn't explained even partially, and who is a ladies' man almost to a fault. Batman as an illogical, arrogant vigilante who exists almost exclusively to be a foil for Superman. Wonder Woman as a five-second character who lusts after Superman with the fire of a ...more
John
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Frank Miller is getting dabbed on with this one. To be honest, I genuinely liked the first five or so pages. They seemed rife with masculine myth. I mean, Frank Miller is the maestro of jocksweat comics.

However, what Morrison and Quitely did in three panels, Miller does over 100-200 pages? It's the same reheated cabbage, other than the slight wrinkle and nuance of Clark being in the military?

That being said, John Romita Jr's art sure does look pretty. The best it's even been. This is what Black
Leonard
Nov 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
What utter, boring crap. I get it, Frank Miller was the man in the 80's. He did some great things, but seriously, this guy needs to retire. This was not only a lousy origin story, it was not well paced, it was boring, and it made little sense in the story of Superman. Again, I get that it's his vision of Superman's origin, but wow, I could not be more disappointed.

Not only did Miller get Superman wrong, but Batman and Wonder Woman were barely recognizable as well. Batman and Superman were like
Ahdom
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This story had it's moments and some great artwork, but I feel like it pales in comparison to Miller's Batman: Year One. This was still worth the read, but I still really like Superman: Birthright to fill the "Superman Begins" vibe.
Jackie Skotnik
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did I read a different book? This is magnificent. It's a mood piece. It's rat-a-tat Rockwell poetry of American experience, of small-town bucolic living, of youthful adventurism and exploration, of informed adult considerations. Each scene is capturing a moment and letting the reader savor the experience with Clark, letting it all simmer and stew. Miller isn't TELLING you why Clark is the person he is; he's showing you. A Romita, the dude makes it all look great.
Chris Robertson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Man, this was bad. Part of the appeal of the year one books for me is seeing the links to the characters we have now, the little subtle signposts that make sense in their development. This mess betrays Superman’s character in so many fundamental ways....I got very little Boy Scout, but a lot of pubescent (mermaid love) and senseless (joining the Navy) episodes. Even a lame Dawn of Justice nod...ugh. I give 2 stars for Romita Jrs art. Is it time for someone to stage an intervention with Miller? ...more
Jim
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars. The art by Romita Jr. is amazing and is really eye catching in the over sized format. The story starts really strong, but stumbles in the third act because it is so rushed. It really needed an extra issue to flesh it out. I went into this with pretty low expectations, but overall, I quite enjoyed it
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the