Start by marking “Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller (Scarlets Oaks Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller (Scarlets Oaks Book 1)

Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller (Scarlets Oaks Book 1)

Is it possible Scarlet Oaks, the reluctant new host of a mens call-in show, inspired the first serial killer, San Franciscos seen in some forty years?

Struggling to pay the rent after her boyfriends sudden departure, continue her role as mediator in an unconventional family and feed a micro pig who appears less micro by the day, Scarlets life is far from perfect. But when
Published June 10th 2017 by LW Media Group Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller

Start your review of Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller (Scarlets Oaks Book 1)
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Audiobook Review
Overall 3
Performance 5
Story 2

The cover immediately drew me to this story. Prudence the pig completely steals the show anytime she is mentioned. However, aside from those moments, the storyline was long and drawn out. I felt that the author could have cut several chapters from the story. The arrest of the "bad guy" was done without any fanfare. The heart of the plot is good and I do plan to check out additional stories from this author. Why? Because there is a diverse and fun
Julie Howard
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
This is the first book by this author I have read or listened to but I have already download book two, mainly because this is a fun cozy mystery with good quirky characters. I especially liked the pig as a pet but that wasn't the only unusual aspect to the book, it made a nice change that the main character works as a D.J. The mystery was good but it is more focused on Scarlet's dysfunctional family life which adds humour to the book.
Scarlet is bumped from her regular job as a top forty D.J to
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was a fun cozy mystery about a young woman who becomes the target of a serial killer after she gives him some advice on a radio call-in show. Scarlet loses her top forty radio show and is switched to a men's call-in show that solves their problems using sports analogies. When she means to say send her to the showers, but says run her a bath, he drowns his wife and a serial killer is born.

I enjoyed this story. I loved the characters in the story. Scarlet Oaks is a great protagonist. She has
Tony Parsons
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarlet Oaks (daughter/sister), & Station Mgr. Brian worked at Bay Radio.
Here family are: Joe Oaks (husband/father), Marilyn Oaks (wife/mother), & Trent Oaks (son).
Violet Oaks (daughter/sister) had taken off with a Rock Band.
Prudence (micro-pig) is the family pet.
Scrlett had the evening radio show Mending Men.
Rod (Modesto) was the 1st. caller, & then Barry (Daly City).
Tom & Niles (stockbroker) waned to find Scarlet a BF, instead of her having to rely on the dating site.
J
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 in this series that revolves around Scarlet Oaks who is just an absolute brilliant character. Always positive in every situation but it doesn't come off as fake. The characters that surround her - friends and family are just as fun and lovable as Scarlet is and her pet pig - OMG! A fun mystery that will have you guessing if you really know who may be the murderer and why and what he really wants with our dear sweet heroine Scarlet. Well written with fabulous characters that you just want ...more
Deborah Kaminski
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This delightful mystery feels a lot like hanging out with good friends and well-loved family members. The characterizations are very well done, and Scarlet herself is a likeable protagonist. The story doesnt take itself too seriously. It is lighthearted and funny in places, while, at the same time, painting a pleasant picture of the Bay area.
The plot is not predictable, but also not out of nowhere. Pacing is good. At the midpoint, I was unsure where the story would go. Although the serial killer
Jade Stone
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I could not put the book down wondering what happens next and trying to figure out why the caller could not be caught! The characters are very likable and their relationships remind me of those kinds of friendships I have in my own life. Unlike a lot of other mystery novels, I found this one to be very realistic and that just added to the emotions it invoked. There is not one thought that what happens in this book cannot happen in real life.
Rebecca
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 star

Doesn't feel like a cozy mystery to me. Maybe some sort of suspense? Opens with a different POV scene apparently from further into the book that tries develop some suspense, but really it's pretty far in before there is a connection. It never has an investigation expected of a cozy. The MC just tries to cope with stuff happening but never makes any attempts at figuring stuff out.

Even if I weren't disappointed by genre expectations, it just felt blah.
Josh Soule
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious novel in which the protagonist, Scarlet, may have inadvertently inspired a serial killer with her new talk show.
I particularly enjoyed the vivid characters in Scarlet's friends- who, despite the seriousness of the events at hand, still managed to make me laugh a time or two. A good read for sure
Cynthia Evans
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it!

Didn't want to put the book down! The micro pig who's not turning out to be one after all. The lovely characters, especially her best friends. Can't wait to see how it goes with her love interest. You can't go wrong reading this book!
John Reizer
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written mystery novel, full of unexpected twists and interesting characters. I found myself constantly wanting to read more. I would definitely recommend this story to anyone looking for an entertaining read.
K-Trina Pickard
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I started and finished this book in one day. It took a cold winter day and turned it into an enjoyable one with hot cocoa and a grilled cheese sandwich being the only interruption.

I am looking forward to reading the next one in this series.
Luke Hooper
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great debut to a series. The sports call-in format allowed for some spooky moments as well as great humor. I didn't expect this book to be as funny as it was. The character interactions were good and it leaves me excited for where they will go in future books.
Linda Walters
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review

I had a hard time getting interested in the story until after chapter 2. After starting chapter 3, I had a hard time putting it down. I laughed so hard a few times. Can't wait to get started on the next book.
Jan Miller
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michaela James has succeeded in pulling me in with Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller. I loved the quirky characters and the clean romance with mystery in this book. Kimberly M. Wetherell brought the characters to life.
nancy holt
Nov 06, 2019 is currently reading it
Good read! Interesting, fun characters. Scarlet has an interesting job and and interesting pet.
The story is a fun time - even though we are looking for a serial killer.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon
Lisa Kader
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who likes a good mystery.

This book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat with anticipation. A very hard book to put down once you start it.
Leslie Tobin
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it cant wait to read more

Great read really kept Mr going I would love to read more of your books note thrills would be nice
Suzan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
I was gifted this book with understanding that I would leave an honest review.
I was drawn to this book by first the cover which I loved. Second by the fact that it is written in the San Francisco area. The story is a good cozy mystery and keeps you on your toes. The audiobook is narrated by Kimberly M Wetherell. I thought Kimberly does a great job of reading this book. I will be looking for more in this series.
Cynthia Pichette
Debra Jones
Oct 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A fun and thrilling Cozy Mystery now on Audible 1 1 Feb 24, 2020 03:36PM

• Dead and Gone to Bell (A Samantha Bell Mystery Thriller #1)
  • A Devilish Punishment (Devil Springs Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery
  • Engaged in Trouble (Enchanted Events, #1)
  • See You Soon
  • A Tough Case to Crack (Nuts About Nuts Mystery #1)
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • Cliffs of Laguna Beach (Ryan-Hunter series)
  • Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery, Book 1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley #1)
  • The Assassin's Gift: Book One
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • BlueBuried Muffins (Black Cat Cafe #1)
  • Murder in the House of Beads: A Mystery in Paradise (House of Beads Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Between Two Thieves (Between Two Thieves Private Investigator Crime Thriller series Book 1)
  • Peril in Pensacola (Accidentally Undercover #1)
  • Coffee and Crime (Cup of Jo Book 0)
  • The Big Lead (Stella Reynolds Mystery, #1)
Michaela lives in Northern Nevada with her husband and two sons. Originally from England, she loves watching great movies while drinking endless cups of tea and eating too much chocolate. To balance this pastime she practices yoga and plays tennis.

For almost a decade, Michaela's been an on-air personality for a local radio station, 96.1 BOB FM in Reno, Nevada. She also does voice work, including