Start by marking “The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)

The X-Files: Stolen Lives

(The X-Files (Audible Original) #2)

The division has been reopened, but nothing is as it seems in this electrifying follow-up to The X-Files: Cold Cases, starring David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and a full cast.

"In a world filled with shades of gray, we have to carefully choose which cloak we wear...."

Out of the ashes of the Syndicate, a new, more powerful threat has emerged. Resurrected members of this fa
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The X-Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The X-Files

Start your review of The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so hyped!
Couldn't wait to dive in! Yes, not even full 4 hours but who cares!?

It's the X-Files!

So many flashbacks of my childhood. I wanted to listen at twice the speed just to absorb the book faster!
It. Was. Awesome!

I was barely 12 when I first saw X-Files on TV, back in 1993. Secrets, conspiracies, aliens! All the mind food a teenager would need and want.

Now that you're clear on the level of hype I was experiencing you'll understand better why the low rating. I initially marked this book
Chrissie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-shows
I didn't like this one as much as the first, but hey, I got to hear the original actors read new x-file stories so I'm happy.

Here is my rundown of the episodes from this audiobook:

Spoiler alert!

Episode 1 Abortion clinic is bombed by some kind of demon that's possessing someone and leading a group of people to leap off a cliff. I don't know. It was hard for me to follow.

Episode 2 Scully meets The Chitter God?

Episode 3 Monica and Doggett are found - the shape-shifting alien keeping them hostage
Steve
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The one thing that I find very frustrating about X-Files is the lack of closure. Nothing ever seems to come to a conclusion, satisfying or otherwise. That's true for this Audible original, too, and aside from the final "episode" in this book, this was a two-star listen. The last episode brought the rating up significantly, and would be great if it were expanded into a full novel or movie.
Angus McKeogh
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely the next best thing to having the TV show back on the air. All the characters are back. All the intrigue. The writing is unchanged. Great stuff. Love this Audible original.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Stolen Lives continues the story from Cold Cases. So definitely listen to that first. Otherwise, you may get a bit lost.

This audio adventure was an experiment for me, one that didn't fully work out.. but it wasn't awful, either. I still struggled to concentrate without having words in front of me at times, but I found listening to it while cleaning helped a bit. If I'm doing something completely mundane, perhaps I'll be able to slip into the story more. Audiobooks are hella demanding!

I preferred
Jane Higginson
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommend this to x files fans - not only do we get milder and scully but also skinner, cancer man, the lone gunmen and other old 'friends' - the last case is especially enjoyable :)
Anna
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
If I thought Duchovny and Anderson were bored out of their skulls during the last audiodrama, I had no clue what wonders awaited me for this one.

The first story, "Immaculate", was a monster of the week story that on the surface dealt with abortion and religion and then took a turn to the supernatural. It would have been a great episode, and that's not a compliment I give lightly.

The second story, "Chitter", was another monster of the week story that was about 22 minutes long. It was kind of a S
Jasher Drake
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Claudia
1,5 stars . Overall still interesting , but not as good as the first one . I wonder if there will be more of these audiobooks 🤔
James
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can't believe I spent a full Audible credit on this one. It was poorly written, even for a comic book, and the acting was only so-so. There was a potentially interesting story line developing, but it was handled so poorly that I lost interest.

On the positive side, this has cured me from buying any more X-Files audio books. It's probably cured me from downloading any more Audible originals as well (I'm currently listening to an "Alien" audiobook that was supposed to have been written by Willia
Tanya
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great mythology story, with one bit that just didn't quite fit. Overall I very much enjoyed it.
Jack Picone
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
B-
Leslie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love it only because it is the X-files. If you’re not a fan I wouldn’t bother. I LOVE hearing all the familiar voices, and can picture each scene. The storyline is less than what I expected, and while I ordinarily enjoy the individual episodes on television, the voices and accents of the supporting cast, especially the supernatural ones, are subpar to the point they seem totally out of place in such an otherwise stellar production. I will continue to buy any in the series with the voices of th ...more
Pantomime Python
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
"No! Why did it have to end? And why did it have to end so soon? Another frustrating cliffhanger, and a pile of unanswered questions. Not fair.

Oh, well, I'll just read the rest of the Season Eleven comics then."

Stolen Lives consists of five episodes - two "monster of the week", and three mythology episodes. The new conspiracy that was hinted at in Cold Cases, gets further explored in this audio drama. Also, we get a new Big Bad.

Breaking with tradition, the creators decided to open the new seaso
Ami
Originally posted on Creature From the Book Lagoon.

Once again, Audible Original delivers us an X-Files story in the form of an audio drama. The cast from the TV show comes back and delivers another nice set of mini "episode" stories for us to enjoy. I liked this almost as much as I liked the first book in the series, Cold Cases. The voice acting felt like I was listening to an actual episode of X-Files.

There are 5 stories, or "episodes", in Stolen Lives. The first story was a pretty entertaining
Jamie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Can my rating just apply to the last chapter of this book? (Oops, I mean episode.) If so, 4 stars it is. 1–2 for the rest.

Take for example: there’s case of the week, and then there’s “Monica and John.” (view spoiler)
Karra
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
Let me preface this by saying I’m not a fan of audiobooks. I tend to become distracted and find it difficult to pay attention. I would rather read a physical book. And yes, I read the season 10 comics and no, I’m not a comic book fan either. But I’m an X-Files addict so I’ll buy anything related to this franchise.

I think David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Mitch Pileggi did a great job with the voices and kept them true to character. I also love all three of them to pieces so it’s difficult to
Jadetyger Sevea
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Signs of an X-Phile:

1. Not understanding what the hell is going on.
2. Waiting for any scrap of Mulder and Scully interaction.

This is a difficult review for me. Difficult in the sense that I don't really know what to say about Stolen Lives. I enjoyed it overall, I think. DD and GA are doing their thing, but I think they're phoning it in. I'm not sure if the problem is the audio format, or if they're just acting by rote now(and that's something that's difficult for me to say. I felt that way in mo
Mart
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I love the X-files and when I saw this new installment I jumped right away at the chance to get some more of the show I practically grew up watching and being terrified of. Well, times change and I am not so easily scared now, but everyone should admit that these stories can make your skin crawl. I saw quite a number of people liked the first part more appealing, but I disagree. This was far more exciting than the previous one.
The first story was kind of a Supernatural one, I didn’t exactly hav
RoAnna Sylver
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Much the same as the last one; super fun to hear everyone, the radio-play format had really grown on me by now so it was a lot more fun, and the presence of the Lone Gunmen in general is a priceless treasure. Added a star for improvement on the racist-nonsense front this time, took one off for the fact that once again we are on a (honestly kind of egregious) Gunmen cliffhanger WHEN CAN THEY/WE REST? I MUST have a book #3, if only to confirm that they really are okay after [REDACTED]. I’m a bit j ...more
Bikram
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Darn it, full cast audiobooks are really not for me. I have tried the two Audible Original Alien audiobooks and now the two Audible Original X-Files audiobooks. And I always have problem following the story. I have to quit everything I am doing and concentrate fully on the narration. Did that for this book. I even kept noting down the gist of the story every few minute. And yet, I think I missed multiple plot points. I'm not buying any full-cast dramatized audiobook ever again.

As far as stories
Pamela Scott
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books, audible
Stolen Lives is brilliant. I loved it as much as Cold Cases.

This audible original features some new storylines as well as continuing events from Cold Cases. I loved the way the story concludes. Some crazy stuff happens. I was hooked from start to finish.

Like Cold Cases, Stolen Lives features performances from stars of the show and sound effects to make it a very immersive experience. I loved listening to my favourite characters from the show.

One of my favourite characters, Gibson Praise returns.
Mel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
When I saw the xfiles audios weren't being done by Big finish I was quite dubious about them. But when I got some free audible credits I decided i would try them. The sound quality was better than I was expecting, but they were clearly adapted from the comics too closely and not tempered for audio enough. The varying story lengths were very odd. I have to say Gillian sounded a bit bored for the first half, David more into it. Maybe that was just because I couldn't see their facial expressions. B ...more
Kristy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like the last book The X-Files: Cold Cases, this was frolickingly good fun, and a nice teaser for the new Season 11 due in 2018. High production values and excellent storytelling for this audio book immerse you fully into The X Files mythology, with all your old favourites. David and Gillian get some great lines (spoiler alert: they even pash at one point - woo hoo!). Wonder how closely these stories will mirror what's in store for the new season? If this is any indication, it's going to be ...more
Lois
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
So... I listened to this one today.... and like the first, still not sure what I totally think about it. And like the first part, it's very much like most X-Files episodes after watching them the first time - parts were great, Mulder and Scully were mostly fun or good, but not entirely sure what just happened overall. It answers a question or two from the first part, but leaves off with a huge cliffhanger, leading one to thing that there was a plan for a third one of these, but who knows. So, su ...more
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Book one of this series ends on a cliffhanger... so of course I was pulled into this one. That cliffhanger resolves disappointingly quickly and unrealistically (even for the x-files!) in a way that made no sense whatsoever. The rest of the stories were fairly bland. I imagine Gillian Anderson must have been rolling her eyes in frustration in the one that was basically a 20 minute long LSD trip fueled sex fantasy that Mulder was having about Scully.

Originally I was going to let the voice acting
Rachel
I have no idea where these stories fit into the actual series and didn’t know what was going on half the time, but Mulder and Scully were there, and that’s all that mattered to me. 😂

I love The X-Files because it always had fun, spooky stories but I mainly loved it because of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. So the fact that the original cast was in this Audible Originals series made it special. It was like old times.

The audiobooks don’t work as well as the TV show, but I’m so happy they exis
grieshaber.reads
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, adult, sci-fi, audible
Even though this audiobook was released in October, I knew I wouldn't read it until January because I wanted to time my reading with the debut of the first episode of Season 11. My timing was perfect. Season 11 begins tonight. The X-Files is my all-time favorite TV series so I cannot even say how thrilled I am that Audible has begun producing original audiobook stories that feature narration by the original cast. Hearing David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and The X-Files theme song makes my hea ...more
Samantha Nowatzke
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a bigger fan of the "monster of the week" style stories/episodes vs the Syndicate mythology but with original cast (voicing) engaging in a new story, I'm not going to complain much. :) The cast return to the characters like old friends & you can really hear how easily they melt into the characters. Hoping even if show ends again after this season that they'll continue to voice stories. I think you'd have to be a fan of the original series to enjoy the books so that you're familiar with the m ...more
Quinn da Matta
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing isn’t bad, but it is far from being on par with The X Files standards. The monologues are not believable, or plausible; the dialogue completely stunted most of the time and, to make it worse: every action literally gets verbalized and every character states the other’s full name because the writers could not think of better, more creative ways, of expressing any of that.

I am so disappointed. I was so excited for this. But, instead of a great audio version of The X Files, all we got w
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Alien III
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)
  • The X-Files: Goblins (The X-Files #1)
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Alien: Covenant Origins
  • Alone with the Stars
  • A Murder of Manatees (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #2)
  • The X-Files: Trust No One
  • Bluebird Memories: A Journey Through Lyrics & Life
  • Agent of Chaos (The X-Files: Origins, #1)
  • The Life and Times of Prince Albert
  • Beyond Strange Lands
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • Ruins
  • The Messengers
JOE HARRIS is the co-creator and writer of original comics and graphic novels such as the Image Comics rock ‘n’ roll thrill ride, Rockstars, and the environmental sci-fi epics, Great Pacific and Snowfall; along with the supernatural thrillers, Ghost Projekt and Spontaneous, and the children’s fantasy, Wars In Toyland, for Oni Press. In 2013, Joe began a long stint writing the officially-licensed c ...more

The X-Files (Audible Original) (2 books)
  • The X-Files: Cold Cases (X-Files, #1)