Start by marking “The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)

The X-Files: Stolen Lives

(The X-Files (Audible Original) #2)

The division has been reopened, but nothing is as it seems in this electrifying follow-up to The X-Files: Cold Cases, starring David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and a full cast.

"In a world filled with shades of gray, we have to carefully choose which cloak we wear...."

Out of the ashes of the Syndicate, a new, more powerful threat has emerged. Resurrected members of this fa
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The X-Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The X-Files

Sinisa Mikasinovic
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so hyped!
Couldn't wait to dive in! Yes, not even full 4 hours but who cares!?

It's the X-Files!

So many flashbacks of my childhood. I wanted to listen at twice the speed just to absorb the book faster!
It. Was. Awesome!

I was barely 12 when I first saw X-Files on TV, back in 1993. Secrets, conspiracies, aliens! All the mind food a teenager would need and want.

Now that you're clear on the level of hype I was experiencing you'll understand better why the low rating. I initially marked this book
Chrissie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-shows
I didn't like this one as much as the first, but hey, I got to hear the original actors read new x-file stories so I'm happy.

Here is my rundown of the episodes from this audiobook:

Spoiler alert!

Episode 1 Abortion clinic is bombed by some kind of demon that's possessing someone and leading a group of people to leap off a cliff. I don't know. It was hard for me to follow.

Episode 2 Scully meets The Chitter God?

Episode 3 Monica and Doggett are found - the shape-shifting alien keeping them hostage
Steve
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The one thing that I find very frustrating about X-Files is the lack of closure. Nothing ever seems to come to a conclusion, satisfying or otherwise. That's true for this Audible original, too, and aside from the final "episode" in this book, this was a two-star listen. The last episode brought the rating up significantly, and would be great if it were expanded into a full novel or movie.
Angus McKeogh
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely the next best thing to having the TV show back on the air. All the characters are back. All the intrigue. The writing is unchanged. Great stuff. Love this Audible original.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Stolen Lives continues the story from Cold Cases. So definitely listen to that first. Otherwise, you may get a bit lost.

This audio adventure was an experiment for me, one that didn't fully work out.. but it wasn't awful, either. I still struggled to concentrate without having words in front of me at times, but I found listening to it while cleaning helped a bit. If I'm doing something completely mundane, perhaps I'll be able to slip into the story more. Audiobooks are hella demanding!

I preferred
Jane Higginson
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommend this to x files fans - not only do we get milder and scully but also skinner, cancer man, the lone gunmen and other old 'friends' - the last case is especially enjoyable :)
Brooke
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
What even is this.
Tanya
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great mythology story, with one bit that just didn't quite fit. Overall I very much enjoyed it.
Jack Picone
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
B-
Claudia
1,5 stars . Overall still interesting , but not as good as the first one . I wonder if there will be more of these audiobooks 🤔
Dinara Tengri
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
"No! Why did it have to end? And why did it have to end so soon? Another frustrating cliffhanger, and a pile of unanswered questions. Not fair.

Oh, well, I'll just read the rest of the Season Eleven comics then."

Stolen Lives consists of five episodes - two "monster of the week", and three mythology episodes. The new conspiracy that was hinted at in Cold Cases, gets further explored in this audio drama. Also, we get a new Big Bad.

Breaking with tradition, the creators decided to open the new seaso
Ami
Originally posted on Creature From the Book Lagoon.

Once again, Audible Original delivers us an X-Files story in the form of an audio drama. The cast from the TV show comes back and delivers another nice set of mini "episode" stories for us to enjoy. I liked this almost as much as I liked the first book in the series, Cold Cases. The voice acting felt like I was listening to an actual episode of X-Files.

There are 5 stories, or "episodes", in Stolen Lives. The first story was a pretty entertaining
Jamie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Can my rating just apply to the last chapter of this book? (Oops, I mean episode.) If so, 4 stars it is. 1–2 for the rest.

Take for example: there’s case of the week, and then there’s “Monica and John.” (view spoiler)
Karra
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Let me preface this by saying I’m not a fan of audiobooks. I tend to become distracted and find it difficult to pay attention. I would rather read a physical book. And yes, I read the season 10 comics and no, I’m not a comic book fan either. But I’m an X-Files addict so I’ll buy anything related to this franchise.

I think David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Mitch Pileggi did a great job with the voices and kept them true to character. I also love all three of them to pieces so it’s difficult to
Jadetyger Sevea
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Signs of an X-Phile:

1. Not understanding what the hell is going on.
2. Waiting for any scrap of Mulder and Scully interaction.

This is a difficult review for me. Difficult in the sense that I don't really know what to say about Stolen Lives. I enjoyed it overall, I think. DD and GA are doing their thing, but I think they're phoning it in. I'm not sure if the problem is the audio format, or if they're just acting by rote now(and that's something that's difficult for me to say. I felt that way in mo
Mart
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I love the X-files and when I saw this new installment I jumped right away at the chance to get some more of the show I practically grew up watching and being terrified of. Well, times change and I am not so easily scared now, but everyone should admit that these stories can make your skin crawl. I saw quite a number of people liked the first part more appealing, but I disagree. This was far more exciting than the previous one.
The first story was kind of a Supernatural one, I didn’t exactly hav
Bikram
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Darn it, full cast audiobooks are really not for me. I have tried the two Audible Original Alien audiobooks and now the two Audible Original X-Files audiobooks. And I always have problem following the story. I have to quit everything I am doing and concentrate fully on the narration. Did that for this book. I even kept noting down the gist of the story every few minute. And yet, I think I missed multiple plot points. I'm not buying any full-cast dramatized audiobook ever again.

As far as stories
Pamela Scott
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, top-books
Stolen Lives is brilliant. I loved it as much as Cold Cases.

This audible original features some new storylines as well as continuing events from Cold Cases. I loved the way the story concludes. Some crazy stuff happens. I was hooked from start to finish.

Like Cold Cases, Stolen Lives features performances from stars of the show and sound effects to make it a very immersive experience. I loved listening to my favourite characters from the show.

One of my favourite characters, Gibson Praise returns.
Mel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
When I saw the xfiles audios weren't being done by Big finish I was quite dubious about them. But when I got some free audible credits I decided i would try them. The sound quality was better than I was expecting, but they were clearly adapted from the comics too closely and not tempered for audio enough. The varying story lengths were very odd. I have to say Gillian sounded a bit bored for the first half, David more into it. Maybe that was just because I couldn't see their facial expressions. B ...more
Lois
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
So... I listened to this one today.... and like the first, still not sure what I totally think about it. And like the first part, it's very much like most X-Files episodes after watching them the first time - parts were great, Mulder and Scully were mostly fun or good, but not entirely sure what just happened overall. It answers a question or two from the first part, but leaves off with a huge cliffhanger, leading one to thing that there was a plan for a third one of these, but who knows. So, su ...more
Kristy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like the last book The X-Files: Cold Cases, this was frolickingly good fun, and a nice teaser for the new Season 11 due in 2018. High production values and excellent storytelling for this audio book immerse you fully into The X Files mythology, with all your old favourites. David and Gillian get some great lines (spoiler alert: they even pash at one point - woo hoo!). Wonder how closely these stories will mirror what's in store for the new season? If this is any indication, it's going to be ...more
Samantha Nowatzke
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a bigger fan of the "monster of the week" style stories/episodes vs the Syndicate mythology but with original cast (voicing) engaging in a new story, I'm not going to complain much. :) The cast return to the characters like old friends & you can really hear how easily they melt into the characters. Hoping even if show ends again after this season that they'll continue to voice stories. I think you'd have to be a fan of the original series to enjoy the books so that you're familiar with t ...more
Leslie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love it only because it is the X-files. If you’re not a fan I wouldn’t bother. I LOVE hearing all the familiar voices, and can picture each scene. The storyline is less than what I expected, and while I ordinarily enjoy the individual episodes on television, the voices and accents of the supporting cast, especially the supernatural ones, are subpar to the point they seem totally out of place in such an otherwise stellar production. I will continue to buy any in the series with the voices of th ...more
grieshaber.reads
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, audio, adult, sci-fi
Even though this audiobook was released in October, I knew I wouldn't read it until January because I wanted to time my reading with the debut of the first episode of Season 11. My timing was perfect. Season 11 begins tonight. The X-Files is my all-time favorite TV series so I cannot even say how thrilled I am that Audible has begun producing original audiobook stories that feature narration by the original cast. Hearing David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and The X-Files theme song makes my hea ...more
Scott Miller
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I have the same criticism of this one as he last (Cold Cases): too much mythology, not enough monster-of-the-week. This time, the story doesn’t really resolve itself. I also find that, since these stories are clearly not canon and aren’t being referenced in the current series, this was a waste of time. Sure, mediocre Scully and Mulder is better than no Scully and Mulder, but I can’t help but feel mislead a bit.
Gidg
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Great performances by David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Mitch Pileggi, Willliam B. Davis, Tom Braidwood, Dean Haglund, and Bruce Harwood. They really brought the X-Files to life in this audio story. Each episode was told in real X-Files fashion but I will say that I think I preferred X-Files: Cold Case much better. If you are a fan of the X-Files then you will enjoy giving this audiobook a listen.
Holly Davis
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another solid performance by Scully and Mulder in this X-files 'movie-like' audiobook. The story was strong and exciting as always, but it may have been chapter 3 where I became confused. There was more sound effects and less dialogue, so I wasn't sure what was going on. But then it picked back up with the story and I was able to follow it a little better. With a cliffhanger at the end, I'll be sure to pick up the next installment!
Kelsey Weeden
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a bona fide X-Phile, who has watched every episode, read every X-Files novel, watched every movie, and attended comic cons in true nerd gear, I eat up anything associated with the series. As much as I wanted to give this a five I give it a 4 (maybe even a 3.5 😱). It seemed at times the plot was all over the place. The last chapter made up for it, and I’m definitely hoping there is another in the future.
Tonya Breck
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: X-Files fans
While this was not as good as The X-Files: Cold Cases, it was still good. Of course, I can't say I'm non-biased given that I'm a huge fan of the X-files (don't talk to me about the recent seasons). However, if you love the show, there's a good chance that you'll very much enjoy this audio book, though not as much as Cold Cases, IMO.
Aneil
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Half-Baked Stories, Poorly Conveyed

(This is for the Audible version.)

I think the writers have forgotten that what might be interesting visually is not necessarily aurally. Much of the action doesn't convey in audio format, and even then isn't very interesting. There wasn't one story that left me scared one bit, or even thinking about its implications for the characters. Pass.

• Independence Day: Crucible: The Official Prequel
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Death
  • Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time
  • How Great Science Fiction Works
  • Cocoon
  • Doctor Who: Shada
  • The Science of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #4)
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Life is Awesome (Mnevermind #3)
  • X-Files: The Truth Is Out There
  • The Fifth Element
  • The Callahan Chronicals (Callahan's #1-3)
  • Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
  • The Tyranny of Metrics
  • Mind = Blown: Amazing Facts About This Weird, Hilarious, Insane World
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Soldier of Fortune: A Gideon Quinn Adventure (The Fortune Chronicles #1)
  • Oh Boy, You're Having a Girl: A Dad's Survival Guide to Raising Daughters
JOE HARRIS is the creator and writer of comics and graphic novels such as the hit Image Comics sci-fi adventure series, Great Pacific, and the supernatural thrillers, Ghost Projekt and Spontaneous for Oni Press. He has written iconic characters and titles for DC Comics (Batman, Fury of Firestorm), Marvel (Slingers, X-Men), and Dark Horse (Creepy). His new graphic novel co-created with illustrator ...more

The X-Files (Audible Original) (2 books)
  • The X-Files: Cold Cases (X-Files, #1)