Start by marking “No Big Deal” as Want to Read:
No Big Deal

No Big Deal

'It's not my body that's holding me back. I think it's more of a problem that people tell me my body should hold me back.'

Meet Emily Daly, a stylish, cute, intelligent and hilarious seventeen-year-old about to start her last year at school. Emily is also fat. She likes herself and her body. When she meets Joe at a house party, he instantly becomes The Crush of Her Life. Ev
Published August 8th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books

Start your review of No Big Deal
Sophie Elaina
*4.5 Stars

Well this was wonderful!

No Big Deal follows Emily; a fun loving, intelligent and hilarious seventeen-year old, who also happens to be fat. Emily doesn't have a problem with herself or her body, but although she likes herself for who she is, she faces things that she shouldn't have to face. We follow her story, through doubts, and the increasing pressure of society,
Lou
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a champion of plus-size rights and body positivity, Bethany Rutter is the perfect guide to steer us through the ups and downs of teenage confidence crises. This is my favourite young adult novel of the year, and it is clear that Rutter understands the need for books that emanate positive messages. Despite the title, this book is a HUGE DEAL! Emily is the fiercest protagonist I've encountered in some time and the story consists of many uncomfortable attempts by Emily's friends, family and othe ...more
Alice Slater
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the radical idea that fat girls are cute, stylish, fun, lovable, smart, dateable, carefree. There aren’t enough books like that and I wish I’d had it when I was a cute chub teen. Every school library needs this liberating book. Please read No Big Deal, please review No Big Deal, please share No Big Deal with the teens in your life! No Big Deal is a VERY BIG DEAL 🧁💋
Gemma ♕ antari.and.the.books
I have so many feelings about this book.

‘It’s not my body that’s holding me back. I think it’s more of a problem that people tell me my body should hold me back.’

I wish teenage me had had this book so I could have learned to love myself like Emily loves herself. I would have had the confidence to be exactly who I was and not give two fucks about what everyone thought. I would have worn what I wanted and strutted my stuff. I would have understood that being fat wasn't all there was to me. I woul
Panna Fox
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really did not enjoy it. Emily is a stalker. Horrible instant-love concept. Emily does not love herself: trust me, as a person who is fat, too, I know: she lies to herself. There is NOTHING good in this book: it does not teach you to accept your body: it promotes wrong concept of body positivity when it comes to... ruining your health.
Honesty, hated it with a passion.
Clem (the villain's quest)
4/5

Instagram | discussed in my wrap-up on youtube

a beautiful story about discovering yourself, your emotional needs and your future. absolutely adored it.
Nikki
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
From a body positivity perspective, this book is perfect. It is exactly the refreshing take on it that I wanted.

From a story perspective, I did find it a little predictable. But then, I’m not sure that matters, as the overall message is what’s important.

Emily is definitely the sort of girl I’d want to be friends with. Her doubts about her size and its impact on her life never affect her knowledge that she’s comfortable in who she is.

I did want it to be a little less boy focused, and for the m
Kevin (Irish Reader)
**I received an ARC of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I really enjoyed this book and really loved the main character Emily, she was very relatable to me and I instantly loved her. The overall plot of loving yourself first and foremost is also my favorite thing about this book. It provides a great message that we all as a society need to hear.

This book was one I was highly anticipating due to the body positivity representation. For the most part, I loved this represent
Miriam Smith
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well this wasn’t what I was expecting at all! What a delightful and wonderful read “No Big Deal” was, and one that I literally could not put down.
For a debut novel to be so entertaining and inspiring, I was totally gobsmacked. I imagine every young girl at some point has body issues and hang ups, whether it be body size or how they feel inside and to have a book that truly gives inspiration and confidence is just fabulous, I only wish I had had this as a teenager to read!
The author Bethany Rutt
Lauren James
[Gifted]

Short and sweet, this is a fun body positive romp through the life of a confident and charismatic teenage girl - who happens to be fat. Super fun.
Kirsty
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just fabulous. Such a brilliant YA novel which I really loved.

Emily is fat. She doesn't care but everyone else seems to and are constantly telling her what they think about her body when it isn't anything to do with them. I loved Emily. I loved how she was a happy plus size teen who loved her life, music and fashion. All so often in YA films and fiction the fat girl is someone to be pitied or the subject of all jokes which is a really sad state of affairs. I love that Emily is the exact opposite
Victoria
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I were Phoebe Waller Bridge (But also still me) I would buy the rights to this and make a very cheeky 4 episode series for the BBC that everyone LOVES and Americans don’t watch until two years later when it’s on Netflix.

I love this book so much. You live in a fat body so long and you start to feel like some of the ways you feel, you’re the only person that ever felt that way. Just the RELIEF of somebody else writing it down in a book. Whew.

This book is so warm and generous and smart and if
Sara ❀
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
i'm human, i have emotions and i'm not affraid to show these emotions in public
Jimi (Jimi Can Read)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cracking book. A must read for all teens although it is definitely enjoyable as an adult too. It brought me back to my teenage years reading Adrian Mole. Bethany Rutter has put a lot into this, including her fashion wisdom and music taste. It is funny, serious, gentle, and touching. Some bits were way too real and weighed heavily on me, other bits had me laughing out loud. Definitely recommend this one!
BookSteff
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that you don't have to be fat or even really suffer with body image issues to appreciate the beauty of this book.
I myself have suffered with body image from a young age, which in turn contributed to eating disorders that I still struggle to maintain control on now. This story was beautiful, amazing, empowering, and gives a message that all girls regardless of age need to heed.

We follow Emily who although happy with her own body is made to feel like she should be ashamed
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book about fat babes alert!⁠

Emily is a smart, brilliant and effortlessly cool fat girl who hasn't dated anyone, until she meets Joe, the gorgeous guy who works in a music store. She decides that she wants to get to know him better. But her confidence and chill attitude is being slowly eroded -- by her newly slim best friend, by her mum's constant diet chat and pressure to join her fad diets, and the shitty girl in school Holly who always wants to bring her down. Will she and Joe get tog
Oda Renate
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ab - se- lute- ly love this book.
The protaginist is amazing, aspiring, relatable and all around great.
The plot.
The writing.
I have zero complaints.
It is actually a new fave book of mine.
SOO HAPPY I FOUND THIS AT THE LIBRARY AND PICKED IT UP! ❤️❤️😄
Cora Tea Party Princess
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had this book growing up, but I'm glad I have it now. It was excellent and definitely reread worthy. Emily is now one of my favourite fictional characters.
Lil Dix
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book 15 years ago. It’s staying firmly on my bookshelf until my daughters can read it too.
Katie
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Anniek
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was quite hard to read at times, but it was also really good. Hard to read, because it deals quite heavily with fatphobia. Really good, because it always always challenges that, and the main character had a great way of addressing it. I loved her tone of voice.

I also think this is a book that shows how much we need different kinds of books with fat rep, because I would die for something that's literally just fat positive, and I don't think I've ever gotten to read that. That's not this book
Robin Stevens
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, funny and assured YA book about believing in yourself, even if the world doesn't. I loved the protagonist, Emily - it's so rare to see a main character who's fat, happy with the size she is and confident in her beauty and intelligence. Literature needs more Emilies, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Bethany writes next. (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking
Alice Dalrymple
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and wish I could gift it to my 14 year old self. Loved the intervening of body politics in a really accessible way. A real celebration of self love ♡
Tessa Leake
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book I wish I had when I was 17. At one point I nearly cried because I was genuinely reading my own inner monologue, something that has never happened when it comes to feeling unloveable from being in a bigger body.
Thank you Bethany Rutter for writing this book ❤️
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. I wish I’d read about Emily as a teenager but I’m still delighted to have met her now, what a cool gal. Really uplifting read and I learned a lot from it. Definitely read it or gift it to a teenager in your life ❤️
Grace
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’d really like a lot of people, young and old, any and all sizes, to read this book.
Kathryn
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a YA book, no doubt. But I’m a 35 year old crying in the dark because it spoke to me about dating - regardless of age.

I could be Emily. I’m a confident bad ass. I’m dating. I’m also being treat like shit while I’m under the impression I’m being modern and cool and ‘going with the flow’.

No compromises. No lowering of standards. All of the fireworks.
Danni Jervis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for fans of Dumplin'!

A really good, honest story about what it's like to be a teenager, "big boned" but confident, falling in love for the first time. The insecurities brought up in the story are genuine. The best part about is that Emilys personality is already very strong and she wants the world to stop judging her body that she is happy with already. She has her fair moments of weakness which make her an entirely relateable character and inspirational for young girls of all sizes.
Amy
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I managed to snag this ARC unexpectedly in a charity shop - yes I know you aren't meant to buy them but it was 95p and it went to charity so I don't mind so much.

Ohh so much of this book made me angry - but not in a 'angry at the book' way but rather I was angry at the things that were said to Emily throughout this book whilst knowing that these are most definitely things that have been said to people before.

Emily is an amazing female lead; she is utterly confident and believes in herself unti
Shawna
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, fr, ya
I very much enjoyed this book, but it wasn't until the last couple of chapters that I was punching my fist in the air going, "That's RIGHT!"

First of all, I super appreciate that we have a young fat protagonist who is mostly okay with being fat. (I say mostly okay, because I think even the most confident amongst us has trouble completely blocking out the messages of the world.)

Emily has a mother who is always on a diet, a best friend who's come back from holiday a couple sizes smaller, a low-gra
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fattily Ever After: A Black Fat Girl's Guide to Living Life Unapologetically
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • What She Found in the Woods
  • Meat Market
  • Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
  • Wonderland
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Chinglish
  • Boy Parts
  • I Who Have Never Known Men
  • Lily's Just Fine (Galloway Girls, #1)
Hi! I’m Bethany Rutter. In my day job I am social editor at navabi, a women’s plus size fashion brand. On the side, I am a writer, editor and podcaster, and I still occasionally update my plus size fashion blog.

News & Interviews

“Life is long and kind of boring sometimes. One of the best ways to make your time on earth suck less is to surround yourself with cool people. People who make you happy. People who you have fun with. People who make you feel important. And you're super smart and interesting, and you want cool things for yourself, and that kind of narrows down the pool of people who you'll accept into your life” 4 likes
“Life is long and kind of boring sometimes. One of the best ways to make your time on earth suck less is to surround yourself with cool people. People who make you happy. People who you have fun with. People who make you feel important.” 0 likes