Start by marking “No Big Deal” as Want to Read:
No Big Deal

No Big Deal

'It's not my body that's holding me back. I think it's more of a problem that people tell me my body should hold me back.'

Meet Emily Daly, a stylish, cute, intelligent and hilarious seventeen-year-old about to start her last year at school. Emily is also fat. She likes herself and her body. When she meets Joe at a house party, he instantly becomes The Crush of Her Life. Ev
Expected publication: August 8th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about No Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Big Deal

Sophie Elaina
Well this was delightful! Full review coming soon!

Rating: 4.5 Stars!

*Advance reader copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinions.
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
I have so many feelings about this book.

‘It’s not my body that’s holding me back. I think it’s more of a problem that people tell me my body should hold me back.’

I wish teenage me had had this book so I could have learned to love myself like Emily loves herself. I would have had the confidence to be exactly who I was and not give two fucks about what everyone thought. I would have worn what I wanted and strutted my stuff. I would have understood that being fat wasn't all there was to me. I woul
Kevin (Irish Reader)
**I received an ARC of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I really enjoyed this book and really loved the main character Emily, she was very relatable to me and I instantly loved her. The overall plot of loving yourself first and foremost is also my favorite thing about this book. It provides a great message that we all as a society need to hear.

This book was one I was highly anticipating due to the body positivity representation. For the most part, I loved this represent
Kirsty
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just fabulous. Such a brilliant YA novel which I really loved.

Emily is fat. She doesn't care but everyone else seems to and are constantly telling her what they think about her body when it isn't anything to do with them. I loved Emily. I loved how she was a happy plus size teen who loved her life, music and fashion. All so often in YA films and fiction the fat girl is someone to be pitied or the subject of all jokes which is a really sad state of affairs. I love that Emily is the exact opposite
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have so many feelings about this book.

Danni Jervis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for fans of Dumplin'!

A really good, honest story about what it's like to be a teenager, "big boned" but confident, falling in love for the first time. The insecurities brought up in the story are genuine. The best part about is that Emilys personality is already very strong and she wants the world to stop judging her body that she is happy with already. She has her fair moments of weakness which make her an entirely relateable character and inspirational for young girls of all sizes.
Jimi (Jimi Can Read)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cracking book. A must read for all teens although it is definitely enjoyable as an adult too. It brought me back to my teenage years reading Adrian Mole. Bethany Rutter has put a lot into this, including her fashion wisdom and music taste. It is funny, serious, gentle, and touching. Some bits were way too real and weighed heavily on me, other bits had me laughing out loud. Definitely recommend this one!
Emmie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly didn’t realise how much I needed a book like this in my life. It was everything I wanted and more. Emily is such a strong character and has an amazing personality that it’s almost impossible to love her. As a big girl myself I connected so much with Emily and honestly wish I had her mindset, she loves herself and is so confident in her own skin.

This book is at times hard
Amy Elizabeth
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I have been a big fan of Bethany Rutter's for years and it doesn't surprise me that her first foray into fiction is as fantastic as everything else she does! This story of a fat babe dipping her toe into the dating pool, navigating teenage friendships and deciding what to do with her future with wit, warmth and a few crises of confidence, was absolutely the kind of YA book that I wish I'd read as a teen.

It was so refreshing to see a fat character who is not defined solely by her relationship wi
Alice (most ardently alice)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here: https://ardentlyalice.wordpress.com/2...

Emily is fat. She doesn’t have a problem with it, so why should anyone else? What’s more, there are a billion and one other things that make up who she is besides her body type. For instance, Emily is always wearing something cute, her make-up is killer, with an eclectic music taste to boot. She’s also incredibly smart, well-read, and has a great bunch of friends; Camila, Abi, Ella and Sophia. Unfortunately, everyone else see
Kayleigh Cyphus
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't too sure at first as to whether I wanted to request to read this book before publication; I'm not a huge fan of the cover (it just isn't something I'd pick up off the shelf and it's pink...) and books about weight can be a bit hit and miss for me. However, I am so so glad that I did decide to hit that request button and grateful to the publisher for sending it to me!

From the very beginning I was hooked; Emily is a brilliant narrator and it was so easy to get lost in this book. On the su
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily is comfortable in her own skin, plus sized and sick of hearing about her mum's diets she's trying out relentlessly as well as trying and failing to get Emily to do them as well.

However when her best friend Camila comes home no longer Emily's plus size best friend and partner in crime, things change between the pair as Camila dates Emily's old crush Ryan as he fancies her now she's lost weight and couldn't deal with Emily's size after their failed kiss.

Emily then instantly likes Joe, a guy
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Emily, who is confident, clever stylish, funny, happy and absolutely thriving, and also fat and what happens when she meets Joe at a party, declares him the best-looking boy she`s ever seen and starts to pursue a relationship with him. First up, Emily was such a joy of a narrator to read from the perspective of; she is wise and completely hilarious (I laughed so often while I was reading this!) and just utterly fantastic. I also loved the ending, as while it wasn`t what I`d ...more
Katy Wheatley
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Bethany Rutter's debut novel for teens, and I am already looking forward to her next one on the strength of reading this. I devoured it in a day. A friend on Twitter said that she wished this book had been available to her as a teenager, and I agree. It has been a long time coming. It has been worth the wait. Emily is a typical teenage girl and this book is a typical teen romance, except that Emily is fat. Not only is Emily fat, but Emily is perfectly happy being fat and does not want to ...more
Louise
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Steph
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could swear, o would. This book is exceptional. I am/was Emily and there’s nothing more important that seeing yourself in a book. I hope every young girl gets a chance to read it. Loving yourself is SO IMPORTANT. This book made me laugh, cry and want to shout. Just bloody marvellous.
Ocylou
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Started this ages ago but got busy so didn’t read much only one chapter
Picked it up and finished within a day. It’s amazing. Brilliant story and such a difficult topic of body positivity in these days tackled so well
I love the ending. You go girl
Emma O'Neill
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars. Whilst this book didn't have me hooked and had some tropes I don't usually go for, I think the overall message of the book is something which is important for its target audience. Full review to follow

I received a free copy of this book in order for an honest review
Alexandra
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I wish I had this book as a teenager! But even in my thirties, I thoroughly enjoyed the author's portrayal of female friendship, all-consuming crushes and the power that comes with learning to love oneself.
Hayley
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely book,I'm really hoping it's the first in a series.
Jennifer Tighe
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Such compulsive reading - I couldn’t put it down and loved it! Sweet and heart warming, with really lovely messages throughout, and great characters. I think this is going to be a well loved book.
Leisha
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5* RTC
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an important message for young people about loving and respecting yourself. I wish I’d had something like this when I was younger.
Danielle
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/4
Laura Lawrence
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where the hell was this book when I was growing up?! It is a BODY POSITIVITY VICTORY! The character of Emily is a true queen. Not only is the book absolutely amazing, it also introduced me to the greatness that is @bethany_rutter ‘s Instagram.
Ali Kennedy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up a proof copy of this at a recent School Librarian's conference and I am so happy I did.

Emily is such an inspirational character. She is body confident and unique in her style and attitude compared to her friends. She is loyal and trustworthy and such a good role model for any young person reading this book.

That said, she is believable because she does have her confidence wobbles when she doubts her size (her mum always talking about diets and her best friend losing weight so that sh
Victoria
Jul 08, 2019
S
Jun 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Hi! I’m Bethany Rutter. In my day job I am social editor at navabi, a women’s plus size fashion brand. On the side, I am a writer, editor and podcaster, and I still occasionally update my plus size fashion blog.