Start by marking “Conspiracy of Lies” as Want to Read:
Conspiracy of Lies

Conspiracy of Lies

From the author of The Embroiderer comes a powerful account of one woman’s struggle to balance her duty to her country and a love she knows will ultimately end in tragedy.
1940. With the Germans about to enter Paris, Claire Bouchard flees France for England. Two years later she is recruited by the Special Operations Executive and sent back into occupied France to work alon
Published July 12th 2017 by Ebony Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Conspiracy of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conspiracy of Lies

Start your review of Conspiracy of Lies
Ellie Midwood
My heart! What a fabulous story! I’m usually not a fan of dual timelines but here I feel it worked perfectly; as a matter of fact, I feel that the present parts of the narration were necessary to understand the past and to tie up all the ends neatly, which it did. Claire is a wonderful central heroine. I love them strong but flawed, and she’s exactly that type of character; when I read the book I felt like she was someone I knew, a real person and not a character from the book. It’s very difficu ...more
Vanessa Couchman
This is one of the best WWII novels I have read in a long time. The author has clearly done her research and the depiction of both everyday life in Occupied France and the Resistance are credible. The main character, Claire Bouchard, who has terrible choices to make, is totally believable and I found myself rooting for her all the way. Even the less sympathetic characters are well portrayed.

A pacy and convincing read, this book will stay with me for some time to come.
Suzi Stembridge
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often finish a book of modern fiction feeling it was a good read but I rarely feel a book is outstanding. After a gentle beginning this book really develops and I put it into the same class as Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and it deserves to be as well read. In the summer of 1943 on a stormy night Claire Bouchant slipped into, or rather was hurled against the rocks of the coast of Northern France and so began the story of an exceptionally brave woman. The prologue and first couple of chapters ...more
gj indieBRAG

We are proud to announce that CONSPIRACY OF LIES by Kathryn Gauci is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Gaye
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. And I read constantly. WW2, the French Resistance and a love affair for life with an unlikely person. I thought it started out a bit trite but quickly became fascinating and exciting. I couldn’t recommend it more.
Jypsy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Conspiracy of Lies was okay. The historical details are great. The plot just didn't keep my interest. I skimmed through this one. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Debbie Trammell
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book

Hard to put down a very compelling love story for a spy in a dangerous position. So many did so much to save everyone from the Nazis. I will recommend this book.
Linda Ives
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant read! Wish I could find more books like this. It had everything in it, Love, suspense, tragedy etc. I want to read more books from this Author!
InD'tale Magazine
The amount of historical information presented in this novel is absolutely amazing.

Read full review in the 2017 November issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Helen Hollick
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"I closed my Kindle with reluctance each evening and found it was after midnight each time. Beware, this story will grip you."
Pamela Rogers
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Today I finished this brilliant historical fiction. Claire Bouchard is the protagonist who joined the French Resistance in 1943. Despite an unmitigating love for her country, she kept her past well-hidden for most of her life due to another allegiance by the man she loved. The story starts with her daughter Sarah, giving her perspective of her elderly mother. When Claire began sharing her shocking truth with Sarah I was on the edge of my seat - then welcomed moments of respite from the war as mo ...more
Sybil Brown
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conspiracy of Lies is one of the best World War II books I have read. I found it started off a little slow until I reached the part where Claire starts telling her story about what happened to her during this time. Kathryn Gauci is a very good writer and I will be reading more of her books. If you want to read about the Resistance movement and Nazis, this is the book. You won’t be disappointed. I loved it. 💕💕
Nina Romano
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, fast read

If you enjoy reading WWII novels, this book is a fast read, well-plotted and researched. I love historical novels and author Kathryn Gauci didn't disappoint me! Her characters, especailly Claire, are fully realized. A page turner!
Kenzie Mills
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn is such an amazing writer. This was a truly intriguing book and I couldn't put it down. It was so good, took me only 2 hours to soar through it and enjoyed it so much.
Sue Gauci
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the embroiderer, I must admit my expectations for this novel were high. Once again, Kathryn Gauci’s exquisitely detailed fusion of history, passion and female heroism, takes the reader back to France during WW2. The compelling human experience of the Resistance in Brittany during the German invasion brings to life the tragedy of war and the triumph of individual bravery against adversity.
I could not put this book down as the heroine’s story unfolds revealing Claire’s lifelong secret to her
Pamela Rae Stewart
Riveting and Moving

Loved this fast paced book of love, drama, history, resistance fighters and ruthless SS men. The author is great at helping you know the characters and feel attached to them. The stage was set for the book and story of Claire’s life in the first 1/2. Suddenly it dramatically picked up and was fast paced and kept me turning pages and my heart pounding with each new turn of events. I liked how the author carefully reminded the reader of who some characters were if they were men
Barbara Denvil
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both convincing and gripping, this is a book to make you think, make you wonder, make you shiver, and make you dream. The details of the French Resistance are excellently researched, and really come alive, with sufficient detail to bring a vivid and exciting picture to mind. The writing races, rushing you along with the action and the desperate hopes of the characters. These are well drawn characters, each extremely individual, and the heroine is a personality that enters your heart. The villain ...more
Cel Jel
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title to this book is amazingly true to the story, so many lies, and so many different twists. A book set in World War II and with the twist of love pre-war between a French woman and a man who also seemed French. During the war they meet again, and she learns the truth.
The book kept me reading, I had to find out what happened. I had to find out what happened to the two of them.
Worth reading.
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Conspiracy of Lies by Kathryn Gauci has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"What a remarkable story of love and courage and bravery. I didn’t want to put it down."

"Well written and emotional."

"Excellent story, and obviously took a lot of research, which I appreciate. The plot had me on my toes: I was surprised at every turn, never suspecting the twists and turns."

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Diane
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gauci-kathryn
I love this story! Thank you Kathryn Gauci for such an emotional and dangerous journey as we follow the life, love and bravery of Claire Bouchard in war torn France. Readers who loved The Nightingale, In Falling Snow and The Girl You Left Behind will certainly love this book too. I totally recommend this story. I have read this book as an ebook but have now purchased a print copy to add to my collection of favourites.
Katinka
Sarah’s mother Claire, suffers her second heart attack after apparently reading a newspaper clipping about the death of an elderly German man that someone had sent to her from France. Sarah wasn’t familiar with the Frenchman who had sent her mother the notice, nor the man who had passed away. She was certain though, that this was what had triggered her mother’s most recent heart attack.

After recovering and being released from the hospital, Claire decides that she would like to visit France and w
Wendy Percival
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I loved this book. I rattled through it. Every time I had to put it down I couldn’t wait to pick it up again.

Having researched the Special Operations Executives myself and being well aware of their crucial and perilous role in WW2, I was instantly drawn to the storyline of a female SOE working undercover in occupied France.

The story opens in the present day when Sarah’s mother Claire is taken ill and the seed of suspicion is sown that Claire has hidden secrets. Sarah is desperate to know more an
John Purvis
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Conspiracy of Lies" eBook was published in 2017 and was written by Kathryn Gauci (http://www.kathryngauci.com). Ms. Gauci has published four novels.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence and Mature Situations. The story is set in German-occupied France. The primary character is Claire Bouchard, a young French woman who volunteers to return to France as a Brit
Cindy Woods
Rather lame accounting of the resistance.

I had a hard time finishing this book about a young woman who was a resistance fighter in France who had a love affair with a German Gestapo officer during WWII.

The descriptions of characters is very good. But the story itself bothered me greatly and it felt almost a flippant description of events as they unfolded.

The love affair is hard to understand given the brutal nature of the Gestapo officer. How can one reconcile their love for a man with so much b
J. Victoria
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This World War 11 thriller begins in 1940 with an intriguing prologue. The story then moves to Leicestershire, England, and in the year 2001. The details and relationships of the Bradshaw family unfold slowly, setting up the moment when the aging matriarch, Claire, a woman with secrets, knows her time is short. She chooses to revisit the past for her daughter’s sake. The two women travel to France and make their way to a cottage in Brittany. Once there people and places prompt memories from deca ...more
Andria Potter
Not my usual cup of tea, but still an interesting short read! Further review to come!

Updated Review:

I gave up at 40% in reading this book. With so many five star reviews, I thought this would be a great read. It was an okay read, but I didn’t connect with the characters, or the plot, hardly at all. While the mystery was interesting enough to keep on reading-just what did happen to Marcel?-I couldn’t force myself to continue as the characters kept giving Sarah grief over her divorce with Alastai
Marina Osipova
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabbing, engrossing, fast-paced
Completely absorbing from the opening pages through the ending, the story follows Claire from the beginning of WWII, smoothly moving in time to its finale and then to our time. Stubborn, courageous, resourceful, yet feminine, Claire is sent by SOE to fight among the French Resistance and she does so, risking her life even when destiny gives her a chance to step out.
Painting an accurate picture of the time and events, this deeply felt tale carries readers along wi
Sandra McKenna
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An unputdownable read.

This is an outstanding story of unbelievable bravery, deception, and most of all, an enduring love.
Claire relates to her daughter the time she spent in Brittany as part of the French resistance during World War II.
As I approached the end of this amazing story, I had to take a breather, as I didn't want it to end.
So very well written and researched, I can recommend this book without any hesitation.
Sheila Knight
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable

I could not put this book down. It kept me awake till the early hours. I just had to know what happened next. It is so well written, the story so well told. Dealing with the very difficult subject of war, occupied France, resistance groups but most of all human relationships it will keep you enthralled to the very last page. Not easy sometimes to hear of the atrocities, but still a very good read.
Jackie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end ! Wonderful dual timelines that I picked right up on and couldn’t put it down. Love this author and highly recommend this book to any lover of historical books!

• Code Name: Beatriz
  • This Shining Land
  • The Girl I Left Behind
  • Under Darkening Skies
  • Cry of the Heart: A World War II Novel
  • What Only We Know
  • In Darkness, Look for Stars: An absolutely gripping, heartbreaking and epic World War 2 historical novel
  • In the Shadow of the Storm
  • The Truth in Our Lies
  • A Fight in Silence
  • My Name Is Vittoria: A WW2 Historical Novel, Based on a True Story of a Jewish Holocaust Survivor (World War II Brave Women Fiction Book 1)
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • The Planter's Wife
  • The Secret Letter
  • Hidden in the Shadows: An unforgettable WW2 novel (Untold WW2 Stories)
  • When We Were Brave