Start by marking “a losing battle (free at last Book 2)” as Want to Read:
a losing battle (free at last Book 2)

a losing battle

(Free At Last #2)

Hunter has left home to join the Marine Corps, leaving Mackenzie behind, confused and unsure about her feelings. She loves Carter, she really, really does, but could there be a spark between her and Hunter, as well?

Mackenzie does the only thing she can in the circumstances: she buries her conflicting emotions in her work. But when she sees Hunter again, she knows the tim
Published July 22nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about a losing battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about a losing battle

Start your review of a losing battle (free at last Book 2)
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
4.5 Stars. While I normally wouldn't go for this type of story, I am finding myself utterly hooked. The second installment picks up with a confused Mac, a distant Carter, a loyal Carey, and a determined Hunter.

It crosses my comfort zone, and just about dances on my beliefs but I'll be damned if I'm not cheering for Mac to figure herself out. It's a weird place to be in because were this not fiction, I wouldn't feel the same way. Kudos to the author for how she presented the situation. It's one
Jules
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OMG war das ein Buch!es hat mich fertig gemacht und ich hätte Hunter gerne wach gerüttelt! habe Teil 1 bereits 5 Sterne gegeben fand dieses aber noch besser und ergreifender. Ich sollte aufhören Reihen zu lesen, denn dieses warten auf den nächsten Teil nervt mich allmählich!
Ja Bo Sa
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ein toller Nachfolger! Und ein cliffhanger vom allerfeinsten! Ich muss GsD nur noch 10 Tage auf den letzten Teil warten! :)
Rebecca Austin
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-companies
This is the second book in the series and A Fighting Chance needs to be read first.

Mackenzie Hall is stuck in the middle of a very bad situation. As her relationship with Carter Tilman continues to deteriorate her feelings for his son, Hunter are on the rise. But Hunter as left her and his brother Carey to join the Marine Corp leaving her unsure of what her feelings really are.

Hunter Tilman has left home to join the Marine Corps and his relationship with his dad is over with his choice of career
Angela
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I don't get book 3 in my hands asap I may scream! Holy cliffhanger!!!! Mac, Hunter, Carey and Carters story continued. Hunter joins the Marines and Carter hates it. Mac and Carter have big relationship issues that continue from book 1. Carey continues his growth into an amazing man. But the ending? Uggggg!!!!! Killing me!
Sonja
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the second installment of "Free at Last" Trilogy and the beginning was very good and I enjoyed reading a lot. But starting from the last middle it got a little ridiculous and unrealistic as Hunter behaved so silly. Also the storyline, well one part, got a little too constructed. For me also the big amounts of time passing was a bit confusing. I really hope that in the next installment Hunter will get it together and behave like a man, not like a silly baby.

Anyway, overall I enjoyed rea
Therese Carstens
vielen Dank für die schlaflosen Nächte. Konnte mich schwer trennen.
Angela
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have received this ARC in exchange for an honest review

Annie Stone has officially made it into my Cliffhanger Queens list! I though the cliffhanger in the first book was bad, but this one was down right heartbreaking. I must have the third book in this series immediately! This is a series that MUST be read in order, but trust me when I tell you that it is worth it.

A Losing Battle picks up with Hunter having entered the Marine Crops. He continues to try to fight his love for Mackenzie to no ava
Sara Strand
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed the first book earlier this month and I told you I was hesitant to keep reading it because it had a weird premise- Mackenzie (Mac) was dating Carter, but Carter's 17 year old son Hunter was falling in love with her. He turns 18, shares his feelings, she's torn, and he's joined the military and left her there. It's kind of odd and just felt a little wrong, but still, I was intrigued enough to keep going so I promptly ordered book two and three.

Book two of the Free at Last series finds
Jennifer Pierson
First of all, A Losing Battle is the second book in this series, so A Fighting Chance MUST BE READ FIRST! Now that I got my bossiness out of the way, I'll get on with it. I'm going to basically break it down, in order for me to not give anything away accidentally. Mackenzie Hall has a load of chaos going in her life, because while she's trying to save her relationship with Carter Tillman, she finds herself with growing feelings for his son, Hunter. However, things get murky when Hunter takes off ...more
Konny
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A losing battle by Annie Stone is the second book in the Free At Last Series. This is not a standalone, you must read book one, a fighting chance, first.
In a losing battle the story picks up where a fighting chance ends.
Hunter has left his home and enlisted in the military, his father is furious and his brother and Mac are sad , so sad.
Hunter goes through boot camp and other specialist training programs. He grows up a lot, finds new friends, but can´t forget Mac. After they spent one night toget
Tania's Book Blog
This is the continuation of Hunter and Mac story which also ends in a cliffhanger. And just like Book 1, A Fighting Chance, the end leaves in a state of 😱 and wtf. Annie Stone really knows how to pull you in and make you look forward to the conclusion which by the way I need like yesterday!!!!

Hunter and Mac, 😍😭 so many emotions and misunderstandings between these two you just want to shake them and ahhhhhh!!!! And Carey omg what a fine young man he's turned into, ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Carter is still a pric
Lauren
I need the next book now! I need to know if Mac and Hunter get their happily ever after. I need to know how Hunter will react when he finds out about Hazel.
This book is the second book in Hunter and Mac’s story. The story continues and the love and bonds grow stronger. I enjoyed this book and devoured it in one sitting.
I was shouting at my kindle throughout this book. I was shouting at Mac to open her eyes and leave Carter. I was also shouting at her to open her eyes and accept her love for Hu
Aleasha Reann George
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely a 5 star book for me! I'm not much of a reader...at all. But these books are the best books I have ever read! I finished the first book in one sitting I just couldn't put it down!! I never thought I would feel this way about a book, but these books definitely keep me on my toes. I'm currently reading "A Losing Battle" and I am not ready to finish them. They're just those books where you don't want them to end and for them to just keep going! I 1000%/recommend these books ...more
Goth Gone Grey
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poor communication, predictable

I enjoyed Book 1 of this series, a redemptive tale of Hunter growing past the crudeness and arrogance of youth to be a more caring man. Hunter and Mac were both well formed characters with story arcs of healing through family they've chosen.

Book 2, however... It doesn't feel the same. It's an extended litany of misunderstandings, poor communication, and anger interspersed with preachy moments about sex abuse and PTSD. While I appreciate complex characters triumphi
Linda Barrett
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A loosing battle is an emotional 4 star read.
I devoured this book in one sitting as I couldn't put it down once I started reading it.
It is part two in the free at last series.
I'm absolutely loving this series and I'm praying that I don't have to wait long for the follow up as omg what a cliffhanger.
Hunter and Mackenzie aren't having the best of luck in this book but as in real life with pleasure also comes pain and you have to take the rough with the smooth.
I'm routing for them to get together
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
This series continually gets better and better! A Losing Battle picks up right where book one, A Fighting Chance, ends.

I felt drawn into a sea of emotions with book one, only to drown in them with this book! I had a very hard time trying to find a villain in this story. Hunter, Mac, Carey, and Carter all seemed to be victims in one way or another. Every character in the story felt real! The situations that brought them together felt real, and at the end my tears were real!

To say that I Loved th
Sue
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
No Thanks

While the is an interesting story here, it is buried under the author's lecture on rape and repeated information on ready-to-eat meals. I was dismayed at some awkward phrasing about not being able to "stand" the lose of one character's legs. Surely there are better ways to get the idea across . The typo or proof error of using the word grown instead of groan isn't the best introduction to an intimate scene. At only 99¢ I still feel short changed! No desire whatsoever to pay for the chan
Donna
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book two in this series and with the story the tension builds and builds. This book is a tragic tale and I cried so so much through this book. The story I can honestly say is one that will stay with me for quite some time. I hard to really explain alot of what happens without ruining what is a great and powerful story. Although the way this book ends had me screaming and shouting. Roll on the next instalment.
Azzie Parks
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Heart Is Still Beating

This book is just as good as the first.There is a lot going on and a lot of it makes me sad,but my heart is still beating I don't know how long that will be if Hunter doesn't open his eyes.Every situation is different but this one has me down right heart broken.Come on Annie give me something to smile about in the next book,because right now I am truly dieting.Getting ready to read book #3 I hope we get HEA.
She's a Lip Biter
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book two in this series and with the story, the tension builds and builds. This book is a tragic tale and I cried so so much through this book. The story I can honestly say is one that will stay with me for quite some time. I hard to really explain a lot of what happens without ruining what is a great and powerful story. Although the way this book ends had me screaming and shouting. Roll on the next instalment.

Reviewed by Donna
Book-Lovin-Momma
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MacKenzie can't make up her mind, and meanwhile, Hunter has joined the Marines. There is so much emotional angst in this second book. I was on edge the entire way, and mentally trying to push MacKenzie to make a choice. Hunter knows she's the one, but things take so many twists and turns here. The ending had me screaming, and I am desperately waiting for a book 3! I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Stephanie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! It was so powerful and not at all what I was expecting. I am dying to know how this series is going to end. For anyone hestitate over the taboo nature, don't be. It's totally worth getting this book.

Note, I did receive an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
latrecia Rucker
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first book

Great fast read had me on the edge of my chair screaming to know what comes next this book is a must read
Leah Weltzien
Carolyn Sheppard
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great 2nd half to the series. Can't wait for book 3

Love, war, family ,strength equals perfection. A great book to read when you have a night to yourself. Definite read
Jana
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich finde diese Bücher einfach wahnsinnig gut!! Sie verdienen viel mehr Aufmerksamkeit!
Sheenamy
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich möchte jemanden erwürgen, am besten Hunter.
Wie immer...superspannendes Buch, ich habs mir heute gekauft und dann in vier, viereinhalb Stunden nach der Arbeit durchgelesen, weil man es ja unmöglich weglegen kann. Es ist krass viel Zeit vergangen..was ich ja von den Reviews wusste, aber trotzdem heftig. Und ich bin ein ganz großer Carey-Fan geworden.
Hunter möchte ich im Übrigen erwürgen, weil er sich verhält wie ein Telenovela-Charakter. Die nehmen auch immer Dinge an und verschwinden dann son
Andi Jaxon
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from the author for my honest review.

Mac and Hunter's story continues, this time with Hunter in boot camp and Mac taking care of Casey basically alone.

This book is the perfect example of why you shouldn't cut people out of your life before giving them a chance to explain. Hunter and Mac may have a fighting chance but disaster strikes in the form of miscommunication and he volunteers to go to war to get away.

This story has Hunter's view point while in Afghanistan, it has a ve
Anna
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arg... Wie ich Cliffhanger hasse! Ab der Szene mit Hunter und Mac hatte ich eigentlich gedacht alles wird gut. Allerdings war das nach ca. zwei Drittel des Buches - ich hätte wissen müssen, dass da noch mehr kommt. Es passiert im letzten Drittel tatsächlich eine ganze Menge mit sehr vielen (langen) Zeitsprüngen. Ein ums andere Mal hätte ich sehr gerne in meinen Kindle gegriffen und sowohl Hunter als auch Mac mehrmals kräftig geschüttelt - angesichts soviel Sturheit, fehlender Kommunikation und d ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Best Man
  • Angel Fire (Angel Fire #1)
  • Billionaire BOSS: Secret Baby
  • Given (Star Breed, #1)
  • Summer With My Dad's Best Friend
  • Alien Conquest (Alien Invasion, #1)
  • Alien Prisoner (Alien Invasion, #2)
  • The Ward of Wyvern (Dragon Mage #1)
  • Hunger (Hordesmen, #1)
  • Terror (Hordesmen, #2)
  • Sidone (Hordesmen, #3)
  • Dreikx (Hordesmen #5)
  • Fever (Hordesmen #4)
  • Fire in His Chaos (Fireblood Dragon, #8)
  • Love At First Kiss (Love comes first, #1)
  • Taken By the Renegade (Rise of the Sadecs Book 2)
  • The Edge of it All (Mosauran, #1)
  • The Pet Project: Unnatural Selection--A Kept In Alien Captivity Romance
I'm a contemporary romance writer, who likes her men tattooed, her women independent and her coffee strong.

My stories are all about love, but some are of the romantic kind, some of the sad kind and others of the very steamy kind. So if you can stand drama, foul language and some sex, you came to the right place.

Love, Annie