Start by marking “Chickens to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Chickens to the Rescue

Chickens to the Rescue

Meet the most heroic chickens in town!
On Monday, Farmer Greenstalk dropped his watch down the well. . . .
On Tuesday, Mrs. Greenstalk was too tired to make dinner. . . .
Who will help the poor Greenstalk family? Chickens to the rescue! The amazing chickens on the Greenstalk farm race to help various family members and farm animals every day of the week. Every day
Published October 3rd 2006 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Chickens to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickens to the Rescue

Start your review of Chickens to the Rescue
carol.
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to carol. by: Mir

From my blog, where it is considerably easier to post pictures:

How can you not be enchanted by these chickens?

The Greenstalks seem to be having a rash of trouble this week. First, a watch down the well
description

then a lack of dinner

followed by a missing book report,

Ernie the duck going joyriding,

Milky the cow stuck in the tree,

lost sheep,
description

and a spilled breakfast.

Thankfully, the chickens are there to save the day!

Minimal text, silly humor, clever illustrations
Mir
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Whereas Himmelman's Katie Loves the Kittens was perfectly realistic, these super chickens are ridiculous and silly. But in an awesome way!

Warning: may cause uncontrollable urge to repeatedly shout "CHICKENS TO THE RESCUE!"

Or maybe that's just me.
Mrs. Wynn
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, primary
I had to take a second look at this book and put aside my "adult-ness." For some reason, this book didn't click with me at first. After the second reading, I could see a bit more humor in it. I just hadn't take the time to study the illustrations. Gosh!

So, Farmer Greenstalk drops his watch into the well on Monday. The chickens RUSH onto the scene, dressed (some of them) in bathing suits--one and two-piece!--swim fins, masks, bathing caps, wet suit, bishing pole...Pretty funny, okay, I get it!
Heidi-Marie
Very fun, with great promise in a preschool storytime. They can join in on the "Chickens to the Rescue" chorus, and enjoy the twist at the end. Fun details in the illustrations (even the characters' expressions!) that a big group might miss. But they'll still enjoy it.

1/9/13 & 1/10/13 Good choice. The kids in both groups liked it. They didn't really join in much with me, which I thought they would. Oh well. As long as they liked it!

10/8/14 Opener for chicken theme. My new kids aren't very
Mandy Scheuren
Apr 14, 2010 added it
Shelves: pb-1
In this book, Farmer Greenstalk is faced with a dilemma; his watch falls down the well! Who is there to help Farmer Greenstalk? The chickens of course! Farmer Greenstalks wife was too tired to make dinner, who solves this issue? The chickens! Throughout this story, there are problems when the doge eats homework, a cow blowing into a tree, and sheep wandering off the farm. The chickens were always there to assist in any way to patch up and repair the troubles! When Emily Greenstalk spills her ...more
Nicole
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the illustrations in this book. The chickens are wearing swimsuits and scuba gear when they recover the farmer's watch from the well. Their expressions are priceless as they prevent duck from making a get away in the farmer's truck. The chickens are hilarious as they save the day over and over again.

Could use for reading comprehension strategies predictions & inferences.
Jenna
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Those are some chickens.
Rachael Terry
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple sentences, fun illustrations. Children have fun yelling 'chickens to the rescue' every couple pages.
Ronda
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Reinforces days of the week. Cute book.
Laurie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adina Senft
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“On Monday, Farmer Greenstalk dropped his watch down the well … Who will come to the rescue? Would you believe … chickens? Believe it! The amazing chickens on the Greenstalk farm race to help various family members every day of the week … every day until Sunday, that is, when Emily Greenstalk has a little trouble. John Himmelman’s expressive illustrations make the most of each heroic chicken moment.”

I admit it: I adore picture books. The only thing better than a picture book is a picture book
Erin
Farmer Greenstalk & his family are incredibly lucky to have such amazing chickens! The plucky poultry retrieve a watch from a well, cook dinner, rewrite a chewed up book report, bring back a stolen truck, rescue a cow from a tree, and bring home lost sheep. Chickens to the rescue! But by Sunday, they are tired and deserve a rest. ...Pigs to the rescue!

This hilarious tale of resourceful hens had the preschoolers in my storytime cackling with glee. We practiced saying the repeated phrase,
Olivia Slykhuis
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I grabbed this book while looking for another one, because how could I resist a title like this? This book is hilarious and adorable. I gave it one less star, because farmed animals =/= vegan, but I just loved it anyway. I have two favourite parts of this book. One is the amazing, clever, funny illustrations of rescue chickens solving every problem. The second, is the repeated refrain of "Chickens to the rescue!", love that exclamation mark. I also love the ending. I think this would work better ...more
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I think we could all use a little help. Too bad we don't have some of the delightful creatures in John Himmelman's Barnyard Rescue series!

**Talking Points - What types of help would you want? What types of help do you think your parents would appreciate?
Diane
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a good thing the Greenstalks have these chickens around to retrieve watches from wells, to make dinner, to write book reports and more. Just don't ask them to do anything on Sunday.

Delightful, detailed illustrations.
Kristin
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute little book that can also be found on Overdrive in ebook format. It seems very popular too which makes sense because it's all about animal fun that starts in the barnyard but goes beyond!
Milton Louie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-children
More for older children. Pre-school not sure. B
Mary
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story for children. Reinforces the concepts for helping others and the days of the week.
Janet Riegel
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
clever story Lots to look at on the page!!!!
Samantha
Previous to this, I had only read "Cows to the Rescue" and I enjoyed this one much more.
Delia Constantino
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
simple and sweet. Very quick story with repetitive phrasing ("Chickens to the Rescue!"). Could be good as a super quick preschool storytime or bedtime read
June
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chicken, farm and humor requests
Recommended to June by: Erin
Chickens come to the rescue until they are too worn out. The ending has another animal running to step in.
Tracy Morton
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book has very little text but is high enough interest that you could get away with it with a slightly older crowd. Humorous.
Goshen PL Childrens
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fun read had 3 and 4 year olds really engaged. It was something they could predict to say and kept them listening for when they could yell, "Chickens to the rescue!!".
Danielle Mootz
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
As property mates to a small flock of chickens we giggled at the silliness of chickens coming to the rescue of anyone, but each other.
Lindsey
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-friendly
We loved this story! The illustrations are hilarious.
Hilary
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The illustrations really carry this book, but it was funny and Rebecca loves it
Diana C. Kobylak
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cute book illustrates heroic chickens who go beyond the call of duty. But on Sunday they rest. A great example anyone can follow.
Alyssa
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought it was super cute, but the 2s and 3s weren’t into it. : \
Christine Grant
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Chicken Storytime

Chickens save the day over and over again! Short and sweet. Perfect for small children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bark, George
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Scaredy Squirrel
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • Chester (Chester)
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Blue Chicken
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Pigs Love Potatoes
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • A Visitor for Bear
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college