Start by marking “Arthur C. Clarke: 2001/A Space Odyssey, The City And The Stars, The Deep Range, A Fall Of Moondust, Rendevous With Rama” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
hardback, 747 pages
Published March 1988 by Heinemann (London) (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur C. Clarke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur C. Clarke

- The Book Rack
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: john-bossman
"Rendezvous With Rama" is old school First Contact fiction at its best. Clarke's attention to detail, with a touch of ambiguity gives this short novel a tenseness that runs from the first Chapter to the last.

Recommended introductory novel for Clarke.
Rita
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
"Rendezvous with Rama": listened to the audio version of this book. I'm not a big fan of the science fiction genre, but my husband is; he chose this audiobook for our road trip in Michigan (he had read the book years earlier). He agrees with the 3 star rating of this review. The storyline was interesting, and it had enough "character" development, in the story, to hold my attention - but just barely. Mr. Clarke, in my opinion, dragged out the story; he was almost obsessive about providing techni ...more
Jim
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
2001: A Space Odyssey - 4-stars

The film version by Stanley Kubrick was superb. To see this movie when it came out in 1968 was truly mind-expanding. It was like no other science fiction movie that had ever been made before. Light years ahead of 1950s era sci-fi movies. Spectacular cinematography. Cosmic ending.

The City and the Stars - 4-stars

Rendezvous with Rama - 4-stars
Astronauts are sent to explore an alien spacecraft that has entered the solar system.
Lawrence Kelley
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Asimov and Clarke were all the rage in Albany, New York area public libraries of the late 1970's, at least for this future mechanical engineer. Think Apollo may have had something to do with this. :)
Kathryne
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was blown away by this book. Clarke's descriptions of the alien world, the way it slowly wakes up and how we react to it is just beautiful. Thought provoking, excellent prose, engaging characters. A great adventure.
Kara
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Super interesting science fiction book. It was engaging as a geology and physics and astronomy type book. I really liked it. There seem to be sequels, but I don't think there is enough of a story for those to be worth pursuing.
Solana
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one of the first "classic" sci-fi books I read. It started a not only a love for Sir Arthur C. Clarke but for the genre as a whole. These stories made me think and truly consider the human condition and I cannot ask more than that from any book.
Bruce J
2001 is the best.
Connie Leinbach
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Amazing imagination!
Cathleen
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Great book, very suspenseful. I read a couple of the sequels and was very disappointed. But this is a quick read and worth it.
Diane
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic that has stood the test of time.
Nicolas Evans
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-bookshelf-2
I read rama not the others?
Bruce Ballister
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this at least twenty years ago. Still a good read with great development, subplot and entanglements.
Christian
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just so tightly written (only read Rendezvous with Rama so far). I was astonished not to have heard of this before. Superb
Fahriye Mutlu
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
İlginçliğine kapılıp, çevremizde neler döndüğünü unutalım!
Greenfly
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Speculative Science Fiction at it's best
Andrea
May 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
NPR 100 Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Books, #76

Note: this listing is for "Rendevous with Rama"
Jonathan Reynolds
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Fav sci-fi series
Michael Levinson
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book. Interesting technology and sci if elements. It also contains A great villain. I am only confused by the ending which I will not spoil
Dave Isaacs
  • The Silicon Man
  • Little Heroes
  • Facets
  • Halo
  • Dorsai Spirit: Dorsai!/The Spirit of Dorsai (Childe Cycle, #1, 5)
  • The Heaven Makers
  • Memory Wire
  • Flandry of Terra (Ensign Flandry 3)
  • In the Drift
  • Game of Universe
  • Die Neuromancer-Trilogie
  • Homegoing
  • Elvissey
  • Il ciclo delle Fondazioni
  • Red Mars / Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1-2)
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero on the Planet of Ten Thousand Bars (Bill, #6)
  • A Good Old-Fashioned Future
  • The Jazz
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...