Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke

The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #1-5)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  4,074 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Author of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Childhood's End, The City and the Stars, and the Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C. Clarke is the most celebrated science fiction author alive. He is—with H. G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, and Robert A. Heinlein—one of the writers who define science fiction in our time. Now Clarke has cooperated in the preparation of a m ...more
Published January 14th 2002 by Tom Doherty Associates/Orb Books (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, please sign up.
Luke Farnish I started reading these in my early teens (I think I was 12?) and found them easy enough to understand. I'd recommend around 12+ for most people as…moreI started reading these in my early teens (I think I was 12?) and found them easy enough to understand. I'd recommend around 12+ for most people as Clarke's style can be a little fashioned at times but, to my memory of the stories I have so far read, there aren't any that are scary or particularly dark for the most part. (less)

Tim Pendry

There are over 100 stories in this impressive collection ranging from 1937 (aged 20) to 1999 (aged 82) but the golden age of Clarke (as a short story writer) starts in the second half of the 1940s and ends in the early 1960s.

The falling off is not a matter of ability (since he could pull off some excellent work when he wanted to later in life) but lack of will in this medium. By the mid-1960s, he had made his name, was living well, basking in adulation and could concentrate on enjoying life and
Stephen
5.0 stars. I have not read all of the stories in the massive collection, but I have read:

The Star: (5.o stars)
9 Billions Names for God (5.0 stars)
The Sentinel (5.0 stars).
Bou
A collection of stories of Arthur C. Clarke, in chronological order from the early 40’s until his death in 2000.

As part of the Big Three in sciencefiction, Arthur C. Clarke has left us an extensive oeuvre. In this book all hos short stories are assembled and it gives a good overview of the themes that he used. The exploration and conquest of the solar system and the stars is mixed with evolution of the humans and its place amongst the stars. All in all, for someone with a tast for sciencefiction
David (דוד)
LATEST STORY REVIEW UPDATE: Story # 15: "Transience".

15. Transience (1949) [5 pages] 4.5 Stars: A story that expresses that mankind is here for only a short span of time, temporarily! Man has come, and shall be gone, in the grand scheme of things. ~ June 16, 2015 ~

14. History Lesson (1949) [7 pages] 5 Stars: Five Thousand years after the Third Planet has lost its civilization due to an Ice Age, the now-progressed Venusians venture forth towards it, to learn the past of an advanced species. The s
Kim
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a near chronological collection of the stories of the late Sir Arthur C. Clarke (1917-2008). Clarke was considered one of the "big three" of science fiction writers during the golden age of the genre, the other two were Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. He's credited with inspiring the idea of using satellites to relay information and, of course, wrote the screenplay of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I tried to read this book last summer and just wasn't in the right mental place for it. Part of
Rasheed
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I nearly finished the first two volumes and then had to stop for my exams. Intend to start all over again in the future.

I liked most of the stories I've read so far but "Retreat from Earth" (1938) and "Breaking Strain" (1949), both in Vol.1, are among my all time favourites.
Kolya Matteo

Holiday on the Moon
Earthlight
Second Dawn
Superiority
'If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth...'
All the Time i
Michael Battaglia
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're a SF fan and I have to explain to you who Arthur C Clarke is, then this may be the greatest gift anyone can give you beyond a time machine that will take you back in time to explain who Arthur C Clarke is to your past self so that when I ask you about him in the future you don't give me a blank look and I don't subsequently make fun of you. It's nice that one book can prevent all that.

When you come up with a short list of SF authors that pretty much defined the genre back when it was s
Диана
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It is hard to rate a book like this - a massive collection of stories, in which inevitably there are both good ones and not-so-good ones; especially more so since I am only halfway through the book, and it is possible (though statistically unlikely) that the other half of the book my tilt my overall impression of it in one or the other direction.

A.C.Clarke wrote a few practically brilliant stories; entertaining to read, and more importantly they are stories with clever ideas behind them. Some of
Nathaniel
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
When I picked this book up on an Audible sale, I didn't realize it was the complete collected stories of Arthur C. Clarke. I'm still not 100% sure that it is, but at about 50 hours of content, it ought to be pretty close!

So it took me a while to get through--over a week, which is unusual--but I'm glad I did. I learned a lot.

The first thing I learned is that early Arthur C. Clarke stories were not very good. The quality goes up considerably, however, and after the first decade or so of stories th
Admsean
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has no background with Arthur C. Clarke (or Science Fiction in general), this collection is a marvelous introduction.

The best part of this being a collection is you can pick and choose the titles that sound interesting to you until you've gotten into the genre. Some of my absolute favorites in here include The Star, The Nine Billion Names of God, and Siseneg.

Clarke is best known for penning the screen-play of 2001: A Space Odyssey as well as it's literary adaption (which is signif
Lis Carey
These are the collected shorter works of Arthur C. Clarke, and that almost ought to be enough to say about it. It spans his entire career, and includes his best-known classics, lesser-known works, and has the Tales From the White Hart stories sprinkled throughout. The stories here are funny and grim, optimistic and pessimistic, and feature the best and the worst of the human race. I found Clarke's view of women's and girls' roles to be interesting. He seems to have never thought women were less ...more
John Wiswell
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Science fiction readers
As far as I know Arthur Clarke occupies a level of science fiction that only Isaac Asimov shared. Every time he had a scientific idea or came across a new piece of science, he wrote a short story about it. If he encountered several ideas and couldn't disentangle them, he'd write a novel about them. Clarke breaks from Asimov in that his prose a bit more fluid, his subject-matter is sometimes treated too abstractly for perfect translation into his storytelling (such as the one-sided wall in the fi ...more
Jamie
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "The Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits"
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Clarke was a prolific writer. Some would say that qualifies as being a great writer, but I would say that putting out a high quantity of stories just fills the bell curve as far as quality of stories. Maybe it is because of the span of time over which these were written, but many of them read like episodes of "The Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" - and many more read like bad episodes of such.

Reading these stories, you get a feel for where the seeds of other sci-fi stories came from, but often t
Mr. Quigley
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Forget Arthur C. Clarke's heavy reputations: the futurist, the founding father of hard science fiction. Clarke was a master of the suspenseful short story, of the twist ending.

Turning to the final page of a story, out of the corner of your eye, you see the blankness after it ends. After the first few stories in this book, I became conditioned to connect that sensation with my mind being blown. Even now, I can open this book and begin reading a story. When I begin to expect a story to end, the ha
John Godier
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a personal opinion, but I've always found Clarke's short stories to be his strong point as an author. This is an enormous collection of all of his shorts, minus one, "When the Twerms Came" which he either forgot or didn't have full rights to. You can see the evolution of his writing from typical 1930's pulp material to the more refined form that he exhibited in his heyday that dripped with exotic ideas. If you're looking for a book that will leave you pondering concepts and what might be ...more
Dominick
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exactly what the title suggests, in chronological order. Lots of good ones—some great ones, in fact, but Clarke's style is very cool and generally very flat, so you can't read too many in a row. Mind you, I remembered some vividly from single readings over 20 year ago, so that tells you something. Nevertheless, it took me forever to get through this book (it is long-—over 900 pages, but still. . .).
Gina Long
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clarke is the patriarch of "science as metaphysics." Although an atheist, his works are full of allusions to the great, all-knowing intelligence of the cosmos, one that mankind will someday understand. This collection includes "The Sentinel," the short story that inspired Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Oddity," among numerous other works that inspired much of modern science, movies, philosophy, and cosmology.
Ian
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers, he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
Jason Mahoney
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The master of science fiction gets a collection of all his published short stories, from the 1940s through the 90s. So many of his "radical" ideas eventually became reality. The world is less without him.

"Any sufficiently advanced form of technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Kyle
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy reading the work of a master during the apex of a golden age, this book is for you. Piercingly accurate prose transports you the thrilling furthest reaches of the imagination.
Jon
1939 Retro Hugo Nominee for Best Short Story: “How We Went to Mars” by Arthur C. Clarke (Amateur Science Stories, March 1938) - 3 stars. Humorous, a bit silly, in a British sort of way.
An Odd1
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like Mark Twain http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... introduces fools to scoff at, brave heroes to thrill or mourn, even impossible angelic sweethearts. One dooms, then saves Colonel father from fatal punishment of Cromwell, footnoted as the conqueror's own account, whether fabricated or based on truth. Another sweet grand-daughter wins over a fort, even from the viewpoint of the dog and Buffalo Bill's horse Old Soldier.

Like Van Gogh's early muddy misfires, Clarke starts dull and dry, at bes
Jxx
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. A long book (50 hr audio), with what is of course varying quality stories from a lifelong publication history. The gems are not far between, though, and I feel a certain sense of accomplishments now having read almost all of A.C. Clarke's short stories.

Individual scores and one line summaries made along the way below. I find it somewhat hard to rate short stories, as my mood at the moment will influence them more than when reading a longer story (where my mood will change over t
Timo
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simply put, this book is really hit or miss. With about 100 stories in it though, written over almost seventy years, how could it not be? Many of the stories in here I'd give 5 stars, many more I'd give 3 or 4 stars to, and a few I'd give a 2.

That being said, I would recommend this collection, in its entirety, to any fan of the science fiction genre. Clarke begins the book by stating that there are now truly original ideas, and that even as he wrote these stories he was regurgitating and amalga
Diogo Muller
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, sci-fi
This review is for the audiobook version.

This is a collection of stories by Arthur C. Clark. There are many, many stories here - more than 100, and the audiobook version of this has more than 50 hours of duration. Here, you can see how his stories evolved as the society and technology around the author evolved.

The quality of the stories is consistent, and some of them also touch on other themes that are not sci-fi, even if they have a sci-fi setting. Reading it all at once (or listening to it a
Ruth
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
Not being particularly fond of 'hard' science fiction, I was somewhat surprised that I enjoyed this collection as much as I did. He really did have a great deal of foresight and picking out the things that have actually been invented was great fun...and they are great stories as well. Indeed, in the foreword, he puts the short story into perspective and reminds you of just how difficult it is in the spec-fic genre. Definitely recommended.
Rick Hall
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The stories that were collected in "Tales from the White Hart" were all a lot of fun.

Most of the stories were good, but it is a really long collection. If you are a big Clarke fan, have at it.

It was interesting to hear from his stories written in the 50s what they thought the moon was going to be like. Nearly all of the stories are looking forward to years we have since passed. Wonder if the dates seemed plausible when they were written.
Rob
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Arthur C. Clarke wrote many terrific, truly imaginative, stories - some short, others quite lengthy. You will encounter laugh-out-loud satirical pieces along with disturbing desolate visions of the future. Even Clarke's hopeful tales remain bittersweet with a lingering sadness of loss. I had no idea that Clarke had written stories of such emotional depth.
Dave Calver
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A broad mixture of stories, from classics to downright tedious. There’s a lot more to Arthur C Clarke than 2001: A Space Odyssey. Overall, the classics made it well worth the perseverance and Clarke had a prodigious imagination. The tedious reminded me you can stop reading a book if it’s not doing anything for you. Just wish I was better at actually doing that!
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • Phase Space
  • The Complete Stories, Vol 1
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • From These Ashes: The Complete Short SF of Fredric Brown
  • The Collected Stories of Greg Bear
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 1: The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Virtual Unrealities: The Short Fiction of Alfred Bester
  • The Essential Ellison
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke

The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke (7 books)
  • The Lion of Comarre & Other Stories (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #1)
  • Earthlight & Other Stories (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #2)
  • The Nine Billion Names of God & Other Stories (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #3)
  • The Songs of Distant Earth & Other Stories (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #4)
  • The Shining Ones & Other Stories (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #5)
  • The Best Short Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“...science fiction is something that could happen - but usually you wouldn't want it to. Fantasy is something that couldn't happen - though often you only wish that it could.” 50 likes
“Much blood has also been spilled on the carpet in attempts to distinguish between science fiction and fantasy. I have suggested an operational definition: science fiction is something that COULD happen - but usually you wouldn't want it to. Fantasy is something that COULDN'T happen - though often you only wish that it could.” 4 likes