Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

(Sherlock Holmes #1-4, 6)

Since his first appearance in Beeton’s Christmas Annual in 1887, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes has been one of the most beloved fictional characters ever created. Now, in two paperback volumes, Bantam presents all fifty-six short stories and four novels featuring Conan Doyle’s classic hero - a truly complete collection of Sherlock Holmes’s adventures in crime!

Vo
Mass Market Paperback, 1059 pages
Published August 26th 1986 by Bantam Classics (first published January 1st 1927)

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I
Jacob
November 2011

Oh, Sherlock Holmes, where have you been all my life?
"Abstinence works!"
--Rick Perry

Murder! Intrigue! Theft! Blackmail! Here, in two novels and 36 stories, are some of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, as recorded by his trusty friend and sidekick Dr. John Watson, from their first fateful meeting to Holmes's apparent death and surprising return, and beyond--featuring murderous Mormons, Klansmen without Konscience, mysterious American ladies with mysterious pasts, kidnappers, waywar
kwesi 章英狮
Sherlock Holmes become popular for decades and most of his adventures had been adapted to movies, graphic novels, animation and books related to him. But who's this guy who created the best detective of all time? Arthur Conan Doyle, a Scottish physician and a writer, created one of the best classic detectives. He was born weak when he was young and become alone most of his life but writing is never a hindrance on his part.

He was inspired to write Sherlock Holmes when he practice his medicine in
Jason Pettus
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
You wanna know why I love Sherlock Holmes so much? Really? And why I've read every novel and story Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote concerning the character, as well as many of the modern adventures and nearly all the film and TV adaptations? Because Sherlock Holmes is a magnificent a--hole. Seriously; because he's brilliant, and haughty, and doesn't affect a false modesty to appease any of the dimwitted swarm around him, and is actually rewarded for this in Conan Doyle's Victorian London world, in ...more
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
Second time read and still love it.
Frankh
Growing up with books, I used to read my father's collection of medical and legal thrillers when I was ten, and then he bought me the Harry Potter series, and I realized that I could fall in love with books after all. Though J.K Rowling may be the author that introduced me to that possibility, it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless creation Sherlock Holmes who won my heart when I was twelve and his grip hasn't let up since.

The Sherlock Holmes stories were the source of modern crime-solving ad
Carson
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Whether it is the introduction of Holmes and Watson from "The Study in Scarlet," the intriguing "The Sign of Four," or the infamous encounters with Irene Adler and Professor Moriarty, these stories are rich, engaging, well-scripted and thoroughly enjoyable. The format of many short stories in rapid succession keeps things fresh while continuing to present Holmes' uncanny abilities and tales one after another.

The writing still feels fresh, the vocabulary extraordinary and the banter and mysteries
Amy
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite this taking me one year to finish, I loved it and I didn't realize I was going to love it as much as I did. Any of the Sherlock novels are worth your time, they are delightful. ...more
Brian
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, classics
A genius with passion, perhaps obsession, with forensic puzzles. Sherlock Holmes. What a wonderful creation! The villains: a woman who duped him, a crazy freak with a nervous laugh, a terrifying gang-leader named Moriarty. Only three of a plethora of villains. I love everything about these stories: the plots, the mysteries, the three-dimensional characters, the excitement, the wisdom. I can't wait to read the second book next year. ...more
Ruchita
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I first devoured these stories and novels at the age of fourteen, curled up in my room on winter nights. It was a long winter, I remember. It was also quite a long book. Few points in my life have had circumstances come together and arrange themselves in such an agreeable manner so as to make a reading experience as memorable as this one.

Like most readers, I entered the world of Sherlock Holmes - at once stretching between the streets of London with in all its vividness, to the deeper, richer wo
John
While not exactly what I would call compelling reading, this is a nice collection of stories that are probably best enjoyed over breakfast, or perhaps on the subway ride to work. I know it's sacrilege, but I find Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories to be a bit underwhelming, though completely readable. They are expertly written, but very dry (after the British style of the day) and the setting up of each mystery usually takes about three times as long as the subsequent investigation and rendering of ...more
Marilyn
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did it, finished this book before the end of the month. I really stayed with it because the stories were that good. Doyle is brilliant in his writings and engaged me throughout this very long book. In the memoirs section, I passed by 2 stories - Silver Blaze and The Gloria Scott, the story did not catch me quickly. In the Return of Sherlock section, I passed by The Adventures of Black Peter for the same reason. Also, my question this evening what happened to Watson's wife? At the beginning of ...more
Ṣafā
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites
This is the most beautiful, sensational, adorable book ever. As ever, I fell in love with London, Victorian London, all over again, because this is what happens with Classics, like by Dickens, they just show you their London, and you can't stop yourself from loving it, over and over again.
It's funny that my journey with Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes began back in like 2013 probably when I found the whole giant novel Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories in my university's library where
Douglas Hackney
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The actual edition that I read was:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Arthur Conan Doyle, Kyle Freeman (Editor)

I am unable to locate that edition on the Goodreads search engine.

The Holmes canon is one of my lifetime favorites. I read and re-read my thick compilation of the stories and novels many times as a child. This was my first return to them since then.

In the meantime, I grew up (some), and wrote a few books. Being a writer, I take a different view
Madeline
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that I was able to sort of predict the outcomes of the mysteries by the end of the book (after fifty-some stories, you can't help noticing patterns), I really enjoyed each of them. The book contains two short novels and thirty five short stories, and they're all pretty interesting. I liked the short stories a lot because each of them was a complete mystery, but I could finish one in about fifteen minutes. Looking forward to reading volume two!
Best quote in the entire novel: "'Li
Maria
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The stories in this collection are truly timeless. I admire Doyle's spare and precise way of moving a story forward, at the same time as allowing Watson to humanize the scientific narrative. I can say that these stories are required reading for all mystery readers and are not in the least overrated. Thoroughly readable, quick and and elegant. ...more
Rituraj
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lucky are the people who are yet to read the tales of Mr Holmes and Dr Watson for the first time! Even though I remember reading some of the stories long back, the crisp writing and elaborate scene-setting of Sir Doyle always does the charm. Some of the explanations may challenge the logician inside you, but the writer inside you will keep on turning the pages.

This was the first collection of stories in which I shifted to its audiobook for some of the tales. Even if you are not a fan of audioboo
Kaye
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.”
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Fast-paced even with thorough storytelling. Simple yet baffling mysteries.

These are just few of the reasons that will keep you flipping through this book to find answers, mysteries or sort of both. Considered as a great milestone in crime fiction, the Sherlock Holmes stories will surely have your thinking caps on.

This book was written at a time when science was not yet prominently
Teresa
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a long read but worth every moment. I love the variety of stories and I am looking forward to reading the second volume.
Anne El-Kasrawi
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's going to be sometime before I crack in with the second volume.
I know classics read differently to modern literature.. but dare I say the movie/series adaptation of this franchise far surpasses the writing. The stories are interesting, the cases ingenious... The style of narration takes all the excitement out of the story.
I understand why Sir Arthur hated Sherlock.. and I appreciate whoever read all these only to sprinkle little references in BBC's adaption of this narrative 😃
Edgar Duarte
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes is an inspiring character even more than a century since his adventures took places in the Victorian London. With his stories I traveled in time towards an epoque of cabs, pocket watches, top hats and so many details.
Watson's narrative is so precise and accurate in the sense of concentrating both in Holmes' attitudes and the human miseries that cause the crimes.
It's a long book which may deserve beeing read with intervals and not continuously.
Heather Elroy
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a collection of the Sherlock Holmes stories in order.

My summation: I like it.

It's classic literature. It's enjoyable to read not just for the stories contained within, but because of the tone and way its written. Watson narrates the goings on of Sherlock Holmes from his own perspective and it very much gives off that sort of feel. It's his perspective so we see what HE sees, and not necessarily what Sherlock sees... or rather... deduces.

Its always a fun time trying to see if you can f
JY
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a review but notes written for the sole enjoyment of Dr. Snort:

1. Read both Volume I and II in one sitting, which severely diminished my reading pleasure. Nobody to blame but myself, but I was determined to finish every single story because I was afraid I'd abandon it if I took a break to read something else.

2. Sherlock Holmes is easily one of the most enigmatic characters to exist in literature. I see why many rational adults worship him.

3. But Sir Arthur Conan Doyle belongs to the "tell,
Chris
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime, own
It's a little weird that I'm 25 years old, have read for pleasure my whole life and I'm only now reading Sherlock Holmes. Previously I had only known the pop culture version of Sherlock (and I'm still feeling bitter about that 'Elementary my dear Watson' thing Wishbone). And how Professor Moriarty and Irene Adler only show up in one story each or how Inspector Lestrade existed pretty much to take the credit for Sherlock's accomplishments.

And it's sort of amusing how Doyle (view spoiler)
Rakhi
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have got the book of the same front cover which takes you back in old times.
Also, this was my first ever novel that I had bought.
This book takes you from relaxing in your house to chilling spine in old London time.
This book is already famous and what's more to say about it !!!
Love, thriller, and despair. This book gives you everything that a reader would ever want.

Sam
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Such great stories. The characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson slowly come alive as each case opens and closes. The longer more detaile cases keep you hanging on until the last page! Excellent!
Allie
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Scott
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Woof, this took me a long time, but I did it! I don't know if my review will feel completely fair. Sherlock Holmes definitely has a charm, but the charm fades a bit when you've been reading almost 1000 pages over a month. The stories can feel repetitive and tedious after a while. But there's still a spark at the center that makes it fun to read.

Sherlock Holmes starts with Watson. Watson is an ex-army doctor living in London. Because of financial issues, he ends up rooming with Sherlock Holmes. A
D.J. Edwardson
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The most surprising thing about the Sherlock Holmes body of work presented in this volume is that it does not consist primarily of detective stories or mystery novels. Rather, these tales are about, principally, Sherlock Holmes himself. They are a character study into one of the most eccentric, fascinating, and winsome persons to ever originate from the printed page. As masterful as Sherlock is at solving crimes and unraveling clues, even more genius is Conan Doyle's ability to present him in su ...more
Roberta
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would honestly give this 4.5 stars if it was an option. It is not a collection that I would generally recommend reading all at once, and while I read a lot of it recently, I did break it up a bit.

One of the things to love about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing is the collection of interesting names! Another is the phrase (in one of the books): "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime..." you may know to what that references. : )

His writing is well worth the time to enjoy!
~*~

My collect
Bobbie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is also found on my blog: A Poised Quill! :)
It took me a few months to finish this, but I pushed on. It took a few pages to get used to. The late 19th century writing style is something I was previously unaccustomed to, hence the slow pace, but soon enough it grew on me. The gothic and gloomy vibe laced each novel and short story with deliciously dark undertones distinctive of Victorian England. I soon learned to love the long-winded and detailed narrations, all with the purpose

• Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of The Thousand and One Nights, Volume 1 of 2
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes
  • კაცია-ადამიანი?!
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • წამებაი წმიდისა და ნეტარისა ჰაბოისი
  • გრიგოლ ხანძთელის ცხოვრება
  • Frankenstein / Dracula / Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • გარდასახვა
  • რიჩარდ III, მაკბეტი
  • შუშანიკის წამება
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • მარადისობის კანონი
  • იგი
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • ხევისბერი გოჩა
  • Mr. Mulliner Speaking
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)