Start by marking “The Complete Indie Editor: 55 Essential Copy-Edits for the Professional Independent Author” as Want to Read:

When you publish as an Indie Author, be it on an electronic device such as the Kindle or as a printed novel through Createspace or other print-on-demand services, readers are evaluating your writing by using Free First Chapter, etc. With so many novels competing against one another, you need all the tools you can get to convert interest into a buy... Welcome to the world ...more
Published June 14th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Indie Editor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Indie Editor

Start your review of The Complete Indie Editor: 55 Essential Copy-Edits for the Professional Independent Author
Karen
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, is this a helpful book? Yes, I think that it has some good advice for authors when self-editing their books.

But this book is also an example of what not to do--meaning that it suffers from a lack of proofreading. Obvious typos throughout the book should have been caught and fixed. For example, "There are countless resources to find this out this information." The first "this" should not be there.

That example brings me to another point: this book doesn't always follow its own rules. For
Dixie Conley
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The title leads me to believe that this guide is essential to being a successful independent author. I can agree with that -- if by essential, you mean, the ABCs are essential to learning English.

While the book's tips are useful, they're also the same tips everyone gives you about writing. Perhaps the most useful thing about this book is that each hint has one or more examples, as well as suggestions on what to correct in your novel.

However, an experienced writer who has had any education in how
Jay Storey
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely useful guide for editing manuscripts, written as a set of editing tips. Some of them I already knew, some I knew, but the book shed new light on their importance, some were new to me, and I was glad to be made aware of them.

I'm sure I'll be referring to this book for many years to come. Highly recommended.
C.M. Skiera
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-guides
An excellent little guide that works great as a checklist for polishing your novel. Succinct with just enough examples to get the point across, this book not only tells you how to edit your manuscript, but why you should do it.
Gyula
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Go Sub Yourself is a useful book on how to avoid lazy writing. It's condensed, straight to the point, without unnecessary ranting about writing - what other books sometimes do. It's a kind of handbook you come back to. I highlighted the summaries at the end of the chapters, and made a nice checklist what to watch out for when editing.
I have read or heard of two thirds of the subs (see Kev, I already use italics to emphasize), but it doesn't make them less important. If you are new to editing I
Graham Kershaw
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this last year and have since used it to edit one of my novels, yet again. Despite good advice to the contrary I was, and am, determined to put my novels online – and in printed form without involving professionals. ‘Go Sub Yourself’ – which I believe has since been renamed and re-vamped – was a terrific help to me with that tricky subject: - self-editing.

Working through these subs has sharpened my writing considerably. I found it difficult at times but ploughed on, and am glad I did. No
Christine
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference for anyone who writes. The author seems to have done a thorough job of identifying possible snags that make one's writing less than stellar. How to find these snags in your writing and what to do to correct them (rather than thinking spellcheck is the answer!) is the important message.
I will keep this as a reference, for sure.
Kev Heritage
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Don Bohrer
Apr 04, 2017
Matt
Jul 22, 2017
I have sampled the book 4 2 Feb 03, 2014 06:11AM

• Date with Poison (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Chameleon
"K.J.Heritage's uncanny sense of pacing and story puts him at the forefront of today's speculative fiction writers." Samuel Peralta, Amazon bestselling author and creator of The Future Chronicles

TO ENJOY a K.J.Heritage starter book of his short stories and more, join his Mostly Reader's Club at: http://mostlywriting.co.uk/join/

I'D LIKE to thank you for visiting my page. I’ve been amazed by the