Start by marking “I Got a Chicken for My Birthday” as Want to Read:
I Got a Chicken for My Birthday

I Got a Chicken for My Birthday

What a birthday girl wants more than anything from her Abuela are tickets to the amusement park. Instead she gets a chicken. But this chicken is no ordinary chicken; it has plans! With a lot of hard work, and help from lots of other animals, this chicken may just end up building the girl the best birthday gift ever!
Published March 1st 2018 by Carolrhoda Books (R) (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about I Got a Chicken for My Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Got a Chicken for My Birthday

Start your review of I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
Melki
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't put my finger on what it was, but there's just something I didn't like about this one.
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this book the day after I did my birthday themed storytime and now I'm sad I have to wait to actually use it in storytime until another relevant theme arrives. Ana asks for amusement park tickets for her birthday, but Abuela Lola sends a chicken instead. Soon Ana is discovering there's more to this chicken than meets the eye as it recruits the rest of her pets for some sort of complex project. Savvy readers will see what precisely the chicken is building before Ana realizes that Abuela ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a little girl's birthday is coming up, she sends hints to her Abuela about what she wants as a gift. A chicken, was not what she wanted, in fact, who would want a chicken for their birthday. This chicken was not an ordinary chicken. It was smart, a builder who had a lot of friends. There is a big surprise at the end of the story. The illustrations are wonderful. They are colourful and there is a lot of detail. This is an enjoyable, fun story that also sends the message that sometimes, when ...more
paula
Many stars for the unexpected and opinionated chicken in this colorful book.
Magy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A somewhat ungrateful birthday girl really wanted tickets to an amusement park for her birthday, but all she gets from her Grandma Lola is a chicken. As she grumbles about feeding it and tries to be optimistic about scrambled eggs in her future, the chicken hands her a list. This chicken has a plan and has work to do!

In a funny twist, the chicken gets working and the birthday girl comes to realize that sometimes unexpected gifts can be better than what you wanted in the first place.
Courtney
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 4-8
"I Got a Chicken for My Birthday" is one of four books I hand selected for my primary age students to take home and read as their birthday treat. This book offers the message that not all gifts are what they appear. The main character asks her abuela for tickets to an amusement park for her birthday but is gifted a chicken instead. I finished reading this book pleased that it offered a sense of diversity and a unique birthday tale that I could read over and over again.
Erin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ana asked her Abuela Lola to go to an amusement park for her birthday. Instead, she gives Ana a chicken. A chicken who does not wish to eat or lay eggs because it is too busy with its plan. A plan that involves a very long list and every other pet Ana owns. Ana's chicken is a genius! It has created an amusement park for Ana!

Good for preschool storytimes.
Kathy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Adorable, funny, illustrations add to the narrative
Donna Mork
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute book. Little girl wants tickets to the amusement park but her grandma sends her a chicken instead. The chicken turns out to be a genius and builds her her own amusement park. Next year she's going to ask her grandma for a trip to the moon.
Heidi Rikard
I want this chicken for MY birthday!! haha I think the kiddos will love this one.
Sharon Tyler
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Got a Chicken for My Birthday is a picturebook written by Laura Gehl, and illustrated by Sarah Horne. It is currently scheduled for release on March 1 2018. All the birthday girl wants from her Abuela is a ticket to the amusement park. Instead, she gets a chicken. But this chicken is no ordinary chicken; it has plans! With a lot of hard work, and help from other animals, this chicken may just end up granting the girl the best birthday gift ever.

I Got a Chicken for My Birthday is a fun and
Tasha
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl receives a chicken for her birthday instead of the amusement park tickets that she asked her Abuela Lola for multiple times. A chicken is better than some other gifts, like socks, but you have to feed a chicken. The girl looks forward to eating eggs from the chicken, but the chicken is far too busy to lay eggs. The chicken makes friends with the girl’s dog, cat and hamster and soon all of them are too busy as well working for the chicken. Other animals arrive and work too. The ...more
Ryan
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was a lot of fun. No one really wants a chicken for their birthday, but this chicken is very special. It was sent by Abuela Lola and is a master of surprises. The story is simple, and repetitive, which is good. The illustrations are wonderfully colorful. I would however change the cover. The orange background behind the chicken is kind of boring compared to the chicken within the pages.
Stacie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Laura Gehl is the author of the popular PEEP AND EGG series. When I saw she had written about getting a chicken as a birthday present I knew I had to read it. My nieces love their chickens and even take them for rides in their "chicken stroller". Really!

The birthday girl asked her Abuela (grandma) for tickets to the amusement park for her birthday. Instead, Abuela Lola did one better, she got her a chicken for her birthday. Her granddaughter can't figure out what she is supposed to do with this
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
I Got a Chicken for my Birthday by Laura Gehl, illustrated by Sarah Horne. PICTURE BOOK Carolrhoda Books (Lerner), 2018. $18 9781512431308

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Ana tells Abuela Lola that she wants tickets to an amusement park for her birthday, so Ana is surprised when she opens her present and has been given a chicken. Ana starts to realize that this isn’t an ordinary chicken when the chicken won’t eat chicken feed or lay eggs. The chicken gives Ana a
Arminzerella
A girl gets a chicken from her Abuela Lola – instead of the amusement park tickets she wanted. She’s a little disappointed, but figures a chicken is better than a lot of other things. It turns out that this is no ordinary chicken – this bird is too busy scheming to do normal chicken things, and it’s got friends and associates, and knows how to get things done! This girl is going to get everything she wanted and more. “I got a chicken for my birthday. And the chicken is a genius.” That’s pretty ...more
Elaine Fultz
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
A girl gets a chicken from her Abuela for her birthday when she asked for amusement park tickets. The chicken, with the help of cat, dog, hamster, and girl, BUILDS an amusement park. All the animal characters communicate by holding up picket signs. This is an odd story that will require a road-test with a child audience for a better opinion. Professional prediction is that that minority of kids who appreciate random quirky humor will love it and the rest will go, "Huh?" Fun, for sure, and worth ...more
Kaitlyn Luzar
This story is about a little girl that wants amusement park tickets for her birthday from her grandmother. When she receives a chicken for her birthday, everything changes. She was filled with confusion and was disappointed to see what she had received as a present! The young girl learns the meaning of hard work and what it is like to love an animal. This teaches young readers the importance of being grateful for what is given and learn to make the best out of every situation. This was a great ...more
Penny
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, kids, humor
I Got a Chicken for My Birthday is a very fun book about a little girl who asks her Abuela for amusement park tickets for her birthday, but is sent a chicken. The little girl tries to make the best of it by thinking about how much she likes scrambled eggs, but this isn't any ordinary egg laying chicken. This chicken has special talents and lots of friends and there is a surprise twist ending. The illustrations are well done and go perfectly with the story.
Diane
A little girl receives a chicken from her Abuela Lola for her birthday, even though she hinted repeatedly that she wanted tickets to an amusement park. But this is no ordinary chicken. In fact, she has a list of 49 items that she needs .... and she also has a plan. As the building begins, the little girl’s dog, cat and even hamster joins the chicken in his plan. And then, when Abuela Lola shows up, the little girl realizes just exactly what the chicken has created.

Cute.
Margaret Boling
7/8/2019 ~ This book left me a bit ho-hum; I didn't really see the point. However, I did enjoy the repeating sentence "I got a chicken for my birthday and..." The list of things the chicken wanted was funny, and I can see some interesting conversations with kids about what the chicken might be planning to build. I would have liked some follow-through with the Old Lady Who Swallowed, 12 Days of Christmas, and Mary and her lamb, perhaps hints in the amusement park.
Nicola
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
As a parent - yay for girls and STEM. Miss 3 didn't like it though.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors
Melissa
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, picture-books
4.5 stars. I couldn't figure out where this was going at the first, but it got really good at the end. I really loved the chicken list with various references including the old lady who swallowed a fly and a partridge in a pear tree.

Tell Abuela Lola that I want tickets to Biltmore Estate for my birthday. I just heard about that today and I really want to go!
Debra
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some books seem so odd a premise that I have to read them. I may have to give this book as gifts. I laughed out loud, often. It probably would work well as a read aloud, too.

The House that Jack Built has met this chicken before and the escapades are endless! What until you see what the chicken builds. Just wait. Don't skip any of the text along the way or you will ruin all the fun.
Barbra
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A young girl wants tickets to an amusement park, and is disappointed when she gets a chicken. Oh, but not just any ordinary chicken! To her surprise this chicken is a super genius and he builds her an amusement park of her very own. Not sure if there is a point to this, but it did make me laugh.
Pam
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Though she asked for tickets to an amusement park. her Abuela Lola gave her a chicken. However, it's no ordinary chicken. She starts to build and drafts the other pets to help. They create an amusement park in the backyard to be enjoyed.
Eliot Reads
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Colorful and fun to read, a little girl receives a chicken as a gift, from her Abuela Lola, and it turns out to be the “BEST. PRESENT. EVER.” because the chicken (with a little help from her other pets) builds an amusement park just for her!
Syntha Green
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Hoo boy I want to do a birthday themed storytime just so I can read this. This book is delightful and hilarious - A little girl wants her Abuela to give her them park tickets for her birthday, but Abuela gives her a chicken instead. That's all I can say (no spoilers) go read a copy NOW!
Shannon Bishop
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about a little girl that just wants tickets to an amusement park for her birthday. Her grandmother gives her a chicken instead. The chicken has a plan...read to find out what the chicken accomplishes!
T Crockett
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Few words, but the pictures do a fair bit of the story telling. The whole book builds to the surprise ending. A great book for making guesses about what will come next. Silly and fun. I like that the family is bilingual, without it being a plot point. That's just the way they are.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Want That Nut!
  • Potato Pants!
  • Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise
  • The Epic Adventures of Huggie & Stick
  • Little Brown
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • Philomena's New Glasses
  • The Ugly Five
  • Neck & Neck
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Fruit Bowl
  • Dear Substitute
  • Inky's Amazing Escape: How a Very Smart Octopus Found His Way Home
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book