Start by marking “Antipodes” as Want to Read:
Antipodes

Antipodes

When Erin Cerise steps off her plane in Christchurch, New Zealand, she is focused intently on her mission: do something unique that will erase the mess she made of her life on her 17th birthday. She’s already lost her swim team captainship, her boyfriend Ben, and her reputation. Her mother is certain studying abroad will regain Erin’s chances of a good future. Once Erin se ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by Sky Pony Press

The Thing with Feathers by McCall HoyleBirthright by Jessica RuddickStarr Gone by Kim BriggsStar-Crossed by Pintip DunnBlack Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel
YASH Spring 2018
122 books — 50 voters
Wings & Destruction by G.K. DeRosaThe Lantern's Ember by Colleen HouckQuantum by Roxanne LambieA Touch of Gold by Annie SullivanThe Traitor Prince by C.J. Redwine
YASH Fall 2018
140 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

chloe ♡
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC of this book from Rockstar Book Tours and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

OMG I want to go to New Zealand. I've always wanted to go to New Zealand. That's the reason why I signed up for this blog tour, because from what I heard from my parents, New Zealand is a beautiful place with amazing people, and I was curious - I wanted to learn more about this wonderful place.

Michele Bacon, the author, lived in New Zealand for a year, and wrote this story based on some o
Kathleen Glasgow
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, fully-realized characters. I loved every bit of this book.
Kibbenza
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was so, so promising, but it was just ruined for me. I could not connect with the main character. I could empathize with her situation to a point, but then I just... was like, "Ugh, but you're so awful, I don't even care." Because seriously. She was so judgmental, so snobby, she looked down her nose at everyone and everything that was different or "less" than what she was used to at home in the US. (Which, come on. The US isn't even that great, Erin. Get over yourself.)

The whole book
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
* I received this ARC from the publisher for a blog tour in exchange for review. No quotes are used and all thoughts are my own*
I had withhold my review until after the blog tour, so my review is linked here. But I couldn't get past 59/60 pages of an ungrateful brat with nothing else to her personality, extremely repetitive chapters and honestly, a lack of moving plot.
Sarah (The Clever Reader)
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Erin is seventeen and hates her life. She’s just experienced the biggest social disaster of her life and she can’t figure out how to fix it. She’s lost her boyfriend, her swim team, and herself in the last few years. She’s not a very likable person in the first part of this book but once you start understanding her you start to realize the reasons why she’s so difficult to like as a character. She’s a bit entitled and has been given everything she’s ever wanted and you can definitely tell in the ...more
Laurie Thompson
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult-teen
What a beautiful, moving, important book. I loved experiencing the main character’s journey of self-discovery and growth, I loved the gorgeous setting, I loved the ending, and I loved every detail along the way. I think teen readers will find much to relate to within these pages, unfortunately. Fortunately, I think they will find much to learn from as well. A hopeful, very enjoyable, read.
Ayn Carrillo Gailey
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced unedited copy of this book because the author is on a panel I am moderating at the upcoming Orcas Island Lit Festival. I see why she comes so highly recommended. The book was fun, the setting was great, and the story was moving.
Nichole
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read hundreds of books that have taken place in lands that I have never visited in my real life, but I have never read a book that so tempted me to pack my bags immediately and just “go”. Seriously. Moments after reading the last sentence of Antipodes, I told my husband that I had to visit Christchurch, NZ. It is now on our bucket list. This is how special Antipodes is – it reached out into my world and shook it up a bit. Fantastic!

You can probably see where I am going with this. I loved
Beth Rider
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entry: antipodes, noun. “Exact opposites.”

Such are Erin’s beginning and resulting understandings of happiness after leaving her A-list social status in her suburban Chicago high school to spend a semester in Christchurch, New Zealand. Mirroring her own New Zealand self-discoveries in her latest protagonist is author Michele Bacon, presenting Antipodes as her second novel.

As a very determined Ivy League medical school hopeful, Erin has every step for her next fifteen years mapped out: “Great scho
Lilly Charysma
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy to have read this book. Most importantly, I am happy to have discovered another amazing writer, because “Antipodes” is such an interesting book, from so many perspectives. It brings forward many family issues and much personal development.

Erin has had a privileged life in the US. Her parents offered her a certain status among her school mates, with a car and money to spend. But all these were in exchange of a life without affection from their side and with only pressure to excel at
books are love
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book overall. It flowed nicely and gave you a great feel for the culture of New Zealand. The story was a journey and coming of age for Erin.

When you start the book Erin is not your favorite person. She is horribly snobby and rude to her host family. They are nothing but loving and kind to her. Towards Hank she looked down at him like he was nothing. She acted like she was better than everyone else and she wasn’t. Over time and as you see the flashbacks of her last year and what pr
Kate Avery
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a complete change of pace to what I have been reading recently. I did find it quite slow and difficult to start, I think that was mostly due to having trouble with Erin who I didn’t like much to begin with.

Though I wouldn’t say the pace picked up because this is a slow burn book as I got more invested in Erin and her time in New Zealand I found that it wasn’t a struggle to keep reading and looked forward to when I could immerse myself with the book for a few hours.

Erin is definitel
Kate Larkindale
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun one. The author is the sister-in-law of one of my oldest and dearest friends and that's what prompted me to pick this up off the library shelf. Then reading the blurb, I discovered it's set in New Zealand! I knew Liz's brother and his wife had lived in Christchurch, and when she visited me last year, she said his wife was a YA author....

Anyway. The book.

It's about a super-driven girl called Erin who takes an exchange to Christchurch to escape a humiliating event back home. Erin's m
Tegan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Erin was SO unlikable at the beginning, which is what made the book as ultimately likable as it was by the end. Erin was so transformed and so changed by her experience, and I really enjoyed reading about her transformation. Her host family, friends, and Hank were so good for her, and really helped her grow into who she was meant to be. I felt so awful for her about the loss of her parents and how almost-comically evil her parents were. A lot of the reviews say that t ...more
Pygment Wex
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book and was sure I was going to dislike it because I had no sympathy for the teen lead. I went to High School on Long Island and there were lots of students who fit the mold of the family/mom portrayed in this book. I had no sympathy for it. But I kept reading and I enjoyed the very natural evolution of the character. My only complaint would be a lack of feel for time shifting. The characters were complaining about how cold winter was and within a week, or two it was suddenly spr ...more
Rachel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dear teenagers with "it will help with your college apps" helicopter parents,

Read this book, then subtly suggest that your mom (or dad or pushiest guardian) read it. You'll feel better. You'll understand one another better. It's a win win. Plus, it's super beautiful and romantic and funny and all of the things we all want.
Cassandra **The Bibliophagist**
Review Coming Soon
Rayyan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The romance and the ending had me a little confuzzled
But I liked the flashbacks and how everything was pieced together
I live for rebelling against parents (not that I would try it)
Brooke
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet coming of age novel that was hard to put down. I’m ready to move to New Zealand now! :)
Davianna
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, blog-tour
Rating: 4 Stars
Full review at: https://rhythmicbooknerd.wordpress.co...
The book was slow paced and I had to push through sometimes although the setting really made up for it. Michele’s descriptions of New Zealand were amazing and I now have Christchurch on my list of places to go before I die! I also loved all the rock climbing scenes and seeing Erin persevere in it.

There is a romance in this book but it wasn’t unbearable, I personally felt that the book didn’t need it but others might like it.

I