Start by marking “Tangled Planet” as Want to Read:
Tangled Planet

Tangled Planet

It's taken four hundred years of travel, but the starship Venture has finally arrived at its destination, Beta Earth, an uninhabited, untouched planet. The first night seventeen-year-old engineer Ursa is on Beta Earth, she encounters a dead body. She's positive she saw a large creature with sharp teeth, something that shouldn't even be on the planet, but nobody believes he ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Dancing Cat Books (first published January 24th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Planet

Gray Cox
ajdajklsdlsndfsjfnsdnf

a somewhat coherent review coming soon
♠️ TABI ♠️
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I did NOT expect how freaking good this was

description

Y'all, people are sleeping on this book, okay.

This book is hardcore sci-fi tangled with hints of horror, yet full of realistic and well-developed characters to make it feel like a peek into a believable future. I was honestly amazed at how GOOD this was, because I picked it up on a total whim. I thought I was in for a light, maybe-mediocre read . . . and then I got intense plot, absolutely STUNNING writing, amazing development of literally everything,
Debbie Ohi
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this newest book by Kate Blair, especially with the murder-mystery twist added to the science fiction aspect. Also loved that the 17-year-old main character, Ursa, is an engineer. Anyone who has had to deal with anxiety issues will identify with Ursa's challenges as she struggles to adapt to a new situation.
Brian McLachlan
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced read with great characters, complex baddies and her descriptions of physical moments like crawling through a vent/searching a forest at night are authentically visceral.
Leyna
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kkharvey
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful sci fi murder mystery YA read. I found the character and her actions believable. I loved her view thought the engineers eyes. Stronger than her previous book, I still would like more world building. Theres just more about the ship, its residents, that I would like to know about.
Jenny Ashby
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Blair's first book, Transferral, and made the effort to backdoor the system to get this one by ordering it from Amazon Canada since it won't be released in the U.S. for a few more months. As in many situations where my expectations are high, I have to wonder if that is a factor in why I can't rave about the book. Oh, sure, I enjoyed it while reading it, but in the end there is nothing unusual about it.

I was excited about the possibilities within the first few pages with the de
Kyle Pucciarello
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Intriguing sci-fi novel that has a lot to say about current times/politics without actually saying it.

We're far into the future, and a ship of former Alpha Earth citizens are about to embark upon a new journey on Beta, nearly 400 years in the making. What led to this need isn't exactly clear, but can be read through the lines.

Main character Ursa is instantly thrown into the action being accused of a murder she most certainly didn't commit. What is the motivation for the framing? What is the moti
Sandy Conley
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: si-fi
We need half stars!! Having not read this author’s Science Fiction I gave it a try. Given that she is now a Canadian author I had a bit of reservation about reading the story but it turned out to be a 3.5 stars. I liked the story but being a hard core Si-Fi fan I may be too critical. The concept of Alpha Earth was not comfortable to me, Earth is our name for the home planet and the ships crew were human. Ok enough of my editing the authors concept as I have not written a novel. The story was qui ...more
Lisa C
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate Blair knows something about world building. In Tangled Planet it's a future world where the last remaining humans abandoned Earth and traveled through space for 400 years to reach the newly inhabitable "Beta Earth." Not used to planetary life, the colonists run into endless problems that test their resolve and willingness to stay earthbound.

The story opens with a dead body (yikes), left by a sharp-toothed creature (oh boy) or maybe a mutinous crew member (hot dog). All my favorite componen
Jean Mills
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but I was eager to read this book because the author, Kate Blair, is coming to the Elora Writers Festival 2018 (which I help organize). What a fun read! Not only is it set in a futuristic techno-science world (eg. the characters are living on a spaceship parked above an Earth-like planet) but it's also a bit of a mystery. A strong leading character and some twists in the plot - I got to the last few chapters and couldn't put it down.
Laine
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
another case of I WANTED THIS TO BE MORE. i didn't want the simplest explanation to be the explanation, i wanted more SCIENCE FICTION-Y THINGS TO HAPPEN, more SPACE HORROR, more MYSTERY.

barely 3 stars for me.
Christina
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short easy to read scifi with a murder mystery and hints of betrayal. I do think we could have gotten more scifi, more mystery, more horror. Didn't read too much into all of the betrayals but I was able to guess some.
Adam
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much better than her first book, Transferral, but has some issues with pacing. The end of the story seems very rushed and disjointed. still, it's worth a read.
Gabe
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good book. Although it is in the Sci-Fi genre, it's niche in the genre makes it hard to recommend to new Sci-Fi readers.
Jan
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I would only give this 2.5*. I thought so many plot points were too implausible. It was like a horror movie where you want to yell, "don't go in there!".
Lupita
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-tween, scifi
Fast passed enjoyable scifi? Although set in space and on an alien planet it turns into a thriller/mystery. Still an enjoyable read.
Margo
Jul 02, 2018
Todd
Mar 27, 2018
Vera
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2018
Lianne
Sep 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Born on a tiny island stuck to the south coast of England, Kate Blair has worked as a museum curator, a clown and at a theme park on the Jersey Shore. She's made furniture for the Sydney Olympic Village and been a cook on a ship on the Great Barrier Reef. She now lives in Toronto and is a young adult author, a mother of two small children, and very, very tired. Her first novel. Transferral, was no ...more