Start by marking “Kasey & Ivy” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Through twenty-six letters to her friend Nina, twelve-year-old Kasey chronicles the often humorous observations and impressions of her unexpected, month-long stay in a geriatric ward for the treatment of a rare but treatable bone disease ("osteo-something-something-itis"). Kasey tries to make her life less dull by wearing her own nightgowns, surrounding herself with her fa ...more
Published March 20th 2018 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Kasey & Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kasey & Ivy

Wendi Lee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
12 year old Kasey has a treatable bone disease, and must spend a month in the hospital for IV treatments. For germ phobic Kasey, this is at first a horrifying, sleepless, boring endeavor. It doesn’t help that the hospital has now Wi-fi, two television stations, and no other kids, just elderly people. She survives by writing to her best friend, Nina, and slowly discovers that life can have meaning even in her tiny hospital room.

I’ve read a lot of traumatic middle grade novels, so it was nice tha
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs, mg, contemporary
Yep. This one gave me happy tears.

Kasey was such a wonderful narrator. I swear, that kid charmed the pants off of me. She was witty and sassy, and her every day observations often made me laugh. Yes, her letters were quite humorous, but what really delighted me was the way Kasey grew, and how that month in the hospital really gave her a new perspective.

When Kasey found out she would be the only child on the geriatric floor, she was less than thrilled. She harbored a lot of preconceptions about
Manon
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Kasey & Ivy tells the story of Kasey. She learns that she is sick and has to spent a month in the hospital.
The story is told through letters that Kasey sends to her best friend Nina, telling her about her days.

I really liked this story. Kasey was very endearing, funny and relatable. I also loved the way the story was told through letters.
I enjoyed the story itself too.
It was pretty short but I liked it that way. It was just
Tasha
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mg-and-ya, netgalley
A cute story about a young girl who ends up needing a hospital stay and how she manages through her stay, both personally and interpersonally. I think maybe for a young person needing to go through a long term illness away from home this may be a good distraction and a help but honestly, I feel it is better for a younger audience, more like 8-10. I have an almost-12 year old and I can't see her interest being held long by this story unless maybe if she was in a similar situation to the main char ...more
Emily
Katherine-Charlotte, preferred name Kasey, Morgan is 12 years old and is just finishing up sixth grade. She is the eldest of 5, making them a loud and perhaps wild family. During a soccer game she was side-tackled and had a red lump that grew bigger and redder in the following weeks. This lead her mother to get her an appointment with a doctor. It turns out that Kasey has an infection in her bones. In order to treat it properly she has to stay in the hospital and get IV antibiotics for 3 weeks, ...more
Kathie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-03, 2018-canlit
This was a sweet story told in letters by Kasey, a twelve year old girl who needs to stay in her local hospital for a month for treatment for a bone disease. Kasey is bored and nervous, forced to stay in a ward with older people, but befriends Ivey (her IV pole that goes with her everywhere) and several patients and staff.
It’s rare that you get to see a hospitals as a boring, undramatic place where patients who feel fine need to stay. I found that a really interesting perspective for this stor
Xiomara Canizales
This was a fun and cute story...
Kasey has to spend a month in a hospital after been diagnosed with a bone infection. During this time in the hospital Kasey writes letters to her best friend about her experience.
The story really feels that is written by a 12 year old girl. I really like Kasey's personality, she remained me a lot of my daughter (who is 11), during her 'healing' process she learns to be grateful with the life she has, which probably she never had chance to analyze, also to see the
Rachael
Okay so this was,,,,, not as amazing as I thought it would be, which is very disappointing. I definitely think it’s good as Children’s Literature, but the middle grade advertisement had me expecting the voice and word choice to be a little more mature than it was. I think, as it stands, it’s more of a book for younger kids than preteens.

Kasey and Ivy is the story of twelve-year old Kasey, who has an unexpected month’s stay in the hospital after being diagnosed with a rare bone infection. The st
Diana Savastano
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kasey & Ivy is a brilliantly crafted book of 26 letters from a 12-year-old girl to her friend, detailing a month-long stay in the geriatric ward of a small town hospital.

From the first letter, the reader enters into the private thoughts of Kasey Morgan.
She begins by writing about the seemingly insignificant bruise on her ankle that turns out to be a life-threatening bone disease. During the course of her treatment, she appropriately names the intravenous line attached to her hand, Ivy.

It d
Rachel Stansel
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A great kids book about a twelve year old girl who unexpectedly finds herself stuck in the geriatric ward of a hospital for the first month of summer. Written in the format of letters to her best friend, the author beautifully documents not just what Kasey goes through and learns during her month, but what it's like to be away from your family and friends. A sweet story full of humor and insights.

Full disclosure - I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Gill
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is told through letters 12-year-old Kasey sends her best friend while spending a month in the hospital. It was very sweet, with a cast of interesting characters and an endearing protagonist. I particularly enjoyed Kasey's relationship with Louise and the parts where she talked about her siblings.

I did think maybe it's for a younger audience than 12-year-olds, but it would really depend on the kid.
I received a copy of this on Netgalley
Taylor
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was hilarious. A snall girl with extremwly bad luck unds up getting stuck in th geriatric ward and has a weird fear of old people😂😂😂😂 this is definitely a unique story.
Ilonita50
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-book, favorites
Received an e-arc from Orca Book Publishers, for an honest review, thank you!

This is the first book I read on 2018 and my new favorite, this is a middle grade oriented book, but I truly enjoyed it! Enjoy the cover as it is artistry and intriguing.

Kasey & Ivy is about a 12-year-old girl Kasey who gets hospitalized for more than a month because of her bruise on the leg, which turns out to be infected very badly and the situation is serious. She is placed in hospital where every other patient i
Nadine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of “Kasey & Ivy” by Alison Huges from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
My Initial Response: The cover is cute, which matches the cute story that fills this book’s pages. This is a great novel for middle-grade readers or anyone who is a fan of middle-grade fiction!
A More-In Depth Review of “Kasey & Ivy”:
“Kasey & Ivy” is a Middle Grade novel that is written in the form of letters. Kasey writes 26 letters to her best friend throughout her journey. They’re
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a delightful book. The cover drew me in, and then the bright, funny, real voice of Kasey pulled me in the rest of the way.

The longest I have had to spend in a hospital was about a week, when my daughter was born. I hated it. Kasey has to stay a month, with old people, as the children's ward is having renovations. At first Kasey doesn't like to be around people. She thinks they are strange. Then she warms to them, as the story progresses. As she likes to say, being in the hospital is li
Amy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kasey is a brave twelve-year-old girl with severe germophobia who has been diagnosed with a rare bone disease that requires a month-long stay in the hospital to receive the treatment necessary to cure it. Her being forced to stay in the hospital for a month is not the result Kasey had expected from her doctor appointment, but she puts on a brave face so her parents and younger siblings do not worry too much. One of the ways Kasey passes the time and possibly a method of dealing with the situatio ...more
Lisa Bentley
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a gorgeous story.

Kasey and Ivy by Alison Hughes is the gorgeous tale of a young girl who has to spend a prolonged period in hospital. Her thoughts are tracked in her almost daily letters to her friend at home. Through them we learn of the comings and goings of the hospital and the inertia that Kasey feels and her desperation to be able to go home along with her acceptance and curiosity about the other patients.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in hospital I found Hughes’ descriptions a
meandthebooks
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The idea of this book is very interesting. There were thirty-six letters from Kasey to Nina. It all started with Kasey's adventure at the hospital because her legs were swollen. Apparently it was not a common illness so Kasey had to receive hospitalization for 1 month. The most interesting thing about this story is the contents of Kasey's letter to Nina. Kasey passes the ride in the hospital, meeting Missy Wong, the oldest patient. Sensitive points in the hospital are also told by Kasey's who ve ...more
Rachel McKitterick
*thank you to Netgalley and Orca Book Publishers for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.
This is quite an accurate story of what it is really like stuck in a hospital Ward for a month. It is as boring as you can imagine but, as this story tells, there are things that happen and friends you dont ever expect to meet. I loved Kasey. She was hilarious at times and the way this is written, in letter format was quite good. I liked too that she named her IV as Ivy as though she
Alyssa Marie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl who gets sick (with a totally treatable bone disease) and somehow ends up in the geriatric ward. This book is told entirely through letters written to her friend Nina where she talks about everything from the food to her exercise routine to her new friends.

Oh I adored this book! I was impressed by how even though it was written in the style of letters to someone, it still was engaging. I loved ivy (I.V.) and all the friends she made along the way. She learned so
Michelle Kidwell
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Alison Hughes

Orca Book Publishers

Middle Grade
Pub Date 20 Mar 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Kasey and Ivy through Orca Book Publishers and Netgalley:

After a soccer injury doesn't heal in a few weeks, Kasey is taking o the hospital for a bone scan that shows she has a rare but curable bone disease but it also means she'll have to be hooked up to Ivy for a month:

Kasey is placed in the geriatric ward of the hospital while she is given IV antibiotics and writes letters to her friend
Sam
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review which has not altered my opinion of the book.

This book was super adorable and really well done. Written in the form of letters to her next door neighbor and best friend, this book follows Nina as she spends a month in the hospital while the doctors help her with a bone disease. I love the perspective that this was written, and I love that she named her IV…Ivy. She found a way to keep her germaphobe tendencies at bay for the most part, and sti
Sarah E.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This book follows 12 year old, Kasey, who has been diagnosed with a bacterial infection that is eating the marrow in her bone. She is writing letters to her friend, Nina, from the hospital during her month long stay as she gets treated with antibiotics. I read most of this in the hospital waiting room and after all the time I have spent in the hospital lately, I could really relate to Kasey's observations, despite being 29 instead of 12
Sarah Fitzgerald
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review. This is a sweet, quick read about twelve year old Kasey, who is diagnosed with a bone infection that requires IV drugs for a month. She is confined to the geriatric ward and becomes close with the patients and staff that are there. The format of this book is letters written by Kasey to her friend back home. Her voice is authentic and frequently funny. This was an enjoyable read.
Barbra
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
When a lump on her leg turns out to be more than just a bump, Kasey is hospitalized for a month. Through twenty-six letters to her friend Nina, she re-counts the ups and downs of hospital life and having an IV line. Filled with humor, this easy to read novel will appeal to girls ages nine to 12.
BeckBe
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely reflective observations from a girl in the geriatric ward of a hospital. Funny, sweet, touching. Some may say it's overly beautiful prose for a 12-year-old, but who says pre-teens can't be eloquent?
Smart
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, earcs
What a short and sweet little story! I always love reading these kinds of stories about things that could be real! our are real, you get to look into that person's mind and "see" though there words. I received this free earc from netgalley for a honest review!
Leah
Told in a series of letters, Kasey writes to her best friend while stuck inside a hospital room. For the entire summer. What initially seemed like a bruise from a hit at soccer practice instead is a bit more serious – serious enough for Kasey to be admitted. If that wasn’t bad enough, the children’s wing is currently closed, so she’s spending her summer vacation on the geriatric floor.

For the mini review and more, head over to The Pretty Good Gatsby!
Hana