Start by marking “Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley, #1)

Smooth-Talking Cowboy

(Gold Valley #1)

Welcome to Gold Valley, Oregon, where a rough-and-tumble rancher and the girl next door are about to learn that opposites attract

Olivia Logan has a plan: win back her ex by making him see what he’s missing. But first she needs to find a man who’s willing to play along. With his laid-back cowboy charm and knack for getting under her skin, Luke Hollister is an unlikely hero—
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published February 20th 2018 by HQN Books

Start your review of Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley, #1)
Wendy'sThoughts
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maisey Yates Fans, Cowboys, Romance
4 Opposites Not So Opposite! Stars
* * * *Spoiler Free
Maisey Yates is the real deal. When she writes about Cowboys, they jump off the page with all the authenticity of a flesh and blood man. She understands how to show the depth in a man who may not seem like a deep thinker... but remembers still waters run deep. Her skill in presenting all of this rings true, touches the heartstrings while also providing the right amount of conflict.

We have Luke and Olivia.
From first glance, they wouldn't seem
Tina
I read last couple of the Gold Valley series book, and loved them. I decided to read the first books in the series. Yes, I do not always read all of a book series. I found this book not has good as the others. I found this book just ok. I do not feel there is as much character development in this book. (*)
♥Rachel♥
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Olivia Logan is smarting from her break-up with Bennett Dodge, the man she always thought she’d marry. He didn’t propose, and she broke it off with him, but Bennett doesn’t seem very upset, and Olivia’s worried she made a mistake. Having a few run-ins with Luke Hollister, the smug, handsome cowboy who’s always guaranteed to irritate her, makes Bennett sit up and take notice and so they hatch a mutually beneficial plan to make him jealous.

Olivia’s come off as a prissy, uptight character
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
I had a delightful time listening to Smooth-Talking Cowboy. I’m so happy I picked up the Gold Valley series. The series reminded me a little of The Original Heartbreakers series by Gena Showalter. Both series have this home town feel and I love that feeling.

Olivia and Luke were just too much. Olivia is prim and proper following the path her parents laid out for her. Luke is loyal, willing to work hard. All he wants is to buy land, build a house, and raise cattle.

Smooth-Talking Cowboy is enemy t
Esther
Rating 3.5

ARC provided by NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for an honest review!

Olivia has always strived to be the perfect daughter. She's done what she believes her parents wanted and made them happy. Even to the extent of dating the man that would make them happy. Well Olivia is getting a little tired that her boyfriend of one year has proposed yet. Well she thinks she might need to take matters into her own hands. And low and behold Luke seems to appear at just the perfect time.

Luke, a h
Marianne
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Smooth-Talking Cowboy is the first book in the Golden Valley series by American author, Maisey Yates. Olivia Logan has broken off with her boyfriend, Bennett Dodge because he refuses to set a date. But she wants him back, so his friend Luke Hollister suggests Olivia pretend to have a relationship with him, to make Bennett jealous. And that sort of works, except that when Luke kisses her, the fireworks make her wonder if she what she feels for Bennett was ever real. Luke has wanted Olivia for yea ...more
Stacee
The fake relationship trope is one of my favorites, so I was pretty excited to see what Maisey was going to do with it.

I had liked Olivia from the snippets of her we got in the previous series. It was good to see that there was something more to her somewhat stiff and proper appearance. I loved her backstory and enjoyed seeing her loosening up even more. Luke is charming and of course there’s a story for him as well. Together they have excellent chemistry and the button pushing kept me amused.
Scott Rhee
A question to my lady-friends: Do your breasts swell in the throes of passion? I have personally never heard this from any woman, including my wife, but I figured it might just be some secret thing women experience during acts of love-making that they don’t talk about. Or it could be something only a few women experience, which begs the questions: do swollen breasts hurt? Do they feel good? Does it increase your cup size considerably? So many damn questions...

All of which are the result of me at
Melanie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Smooth-Talking Cowboy was a fantastic romance between a woman who always does the right thing and the man who brings out her wild side.

Olivia Logan has always been seen as a good girl who would never cause a scandal in her life. So when she's spotted out with bad boy Luke Hollister, no one knows what to think. Olivia however is determined to win back her ex and believes making him realize what he's missing is the first step. Luke is more than willing to play along as he has his eye on a property
Juliana Philippa
He didn't want to protect her, no. He wanted to strip her bare. Wanted to see what was beneath all that reserve of hers. Wanted to see Olivia. The woman she was, not the woman she showed the world.
4.5 stars. One of my favorite romances of the year, hands-down; stayed up all night reading it. So much to say and sooo many things I want to quote and excerpt. I always find that the reviews that are the hardest for me to write are the ones where I really adored the book ... and that's definitely
Michele Rene
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have some Kleenex ready ladies, this book had me in tears. I highly recommend it if you love cowboys!
Aly
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Smooth-Talking Cowboy is the beginning of a new series that should please the readers who enjoyed Maisey Yates's series Copper Ridge. It's in the same vein, with her now familiar to me awesome writing style full of emotions and yeah, the exciting banters are still there, mix with a lot of bickering this time.

We already met the heroine in the latest books in the Copper Ridge series, where we witnessed her break-up with her boyfriend. She's the one who broke up with him because he wasn't ready to
Mandi
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Maisey Yates books. You can call me a fan girl - I'll take it. I consider her my comfort read author and she always delivers for me. Smooth-Talking Cowboy is the first in her Gold Valley series, a neighboring town to her Copper Ridge series. More cowboys and small town fun - and I'm still enjoying.

Olivia, or Liv, has been dating Bennett for a year. They grew up together, and when they started dating, it didn't shock anyone. But - when Bennett did not propose to Liv over Christmas,
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Luke is a rough and tumble cowboy who wants nothing than to buy land, build a house, and raise cattle. He is loyal to the core and willing to work from dawn to dusk, his body is a testament to how hard he works. Getting sucked into helping a friend try to get back at her ex-boyfriend, Luke learns he is in love with her. Watching Luke process the loss of his mother, leaving the only job he has ever had and learning how to love was quite spectacular.

Olivia has never, ever ventured off the path he
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (live on the blog 2/20/18)
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2hQhBd1

Hands down. You need some Yates in your life! Honest to goodness. The woman knows how to deliver one lickable cowboy.

The Gist: The only thing worse than being stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire? Being rescued by the man who drives you batshit insane and gets under your skin like no one else.
Trying times, yall. Trying times. But seeing as Olivia needs a hot guy to make her ex jealous
Sofia Lazaridou
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I would like to say that my copy of this book had two stories and I am very happy for that. If I had paid for the book (I got an ARC people, I am not a pirate) I would have loved getting two stories for the price of one! I have to admit that due to lack of time I haven't read the second story, but I had mostly good feelings about the main story. Second, this book is connected with a previous series and Olivia appears there, but there is no need to have read it in order to enjoy thi ...more
Yoda
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Why did I read this? Someone needs to take control of my kindle account asap!
Its probably not a BAD book just not something I expected/wanted. It was kind of entertaining but mostly just annoying. The fact that it was written in both point of views made me hate both characters equally so thats fair.
Jackie
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Ach god darn it...this was going to be a 4 star and then at 50% it kinda crashed and burned.(Which incidentally should be 85% because the book finishes at 65%)

What I liked -the chemistry between these two were good -complete opposites -an arrangement at play to pretend they were dating.

The pacing felt good, story was building nicely and then it went from a cool cowboy to a complete cheesefest of I love you I have loved you all along ...its always been you etc.

(view spoiler)
Lisa-Books Smiles
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Tanja OMGReads
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omgreads
Wooow...i love LUKE so much its ridiculous <3

After finishing this book I can officially say I’m addicted to Maisey Yates books. To say that I love this couple or better yet Luke Hollister is such a understatement of the year (and yes I know it's ONLY February)…It was just that good.
I'm a sucker for HEA for everyone who ends up with someone who they loved for a loooong time without even realizing it.

To tell you the truth I wasn't a fan of Olivia and her obsession with getting engaged in the p
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I finished my first cowboy romance, and I liked it. This was fun and satisfying friends-to-lovers romance. The push and pull got to me at one point, and Luke's reasoning for it made me nuts, but I liked seeing them final give in and acknowledge their feelings. Luke and Olivia also had a lot of baggage to unpack, and I was glad Yates took the time to address this and let it happen. I always like when time is taken to mend those broken fences. The ending was exactly what I want in
Susan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book about two people who seem to be opposites, but turn out to be a lot more alike than they knew. Olivia Logan is Gold Valley's good girl. Unlike her twin sister, Olivia doesn't drink, do drugs, or sleep around. She is always in control of her feelings and has a plan for her life. Part of that plan is marrying Bennett Dodge, whom she has known all her life, and dated for a year. But when Bennett didn't propose, Olivia broke up with him, hoping he'd then see what he was missing. She's dism ...more
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
***ARC Provided by the Author and InkSlinger PR***

3.5 Stars

This is my first title by Maisey Yates, and I definitely enjoyed it. I liked her writing style and I loved the way the characters seemed to take on a life of their own.

Luke and Olivia have known one another forever, but she has decided he is not the perfect one for her, and that she wants the man her father, and the town thinks she should be with. She has this life planned out, she knows what she thinks she wants, and is adorably frustra
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of the book.

Smooth-Talking Cowboy is my first Maisey Yates book and while it took me a while to get into to it (I found myself putting it down repeatedly up until I got about 20% in), once I was into it, I was committed and couldn't put it down. Olivia was sort of a prickly character and until you get to know more about her past, it was difficult to like her. But once she opens up, it's really easy to cheer for her. I really liked Luke and it was rea
Tracy
Smooth-Talking Cowboy got off to a bit of a slow start. It took a few chapters for me to really get enamored with the book.

This is the story of Olivia and Luke. They ooze chemistry and fire from the first time we see them on the page together. There is an underlying connection between the two, no matter how much they claim their fake relationship is about something else. Its a spark the reader can feel.

I fell in love easily with Luke. He's gruff and standoffish, but lets little pieces of himse
Julia Kai
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like them together. And i loved ,,kiddo”
Heather andrews
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Olivia sure can be a fierce one, “if you say bros before hos, so help me God, Luke, I will give you a paper cut with one of these pamphlets.” Luke sometimes has to put his foot down, “honey,” he said, “this is a tantrum. And I’m about over it. So either you get back into the truck, or I’m going to throw you over my shoulder and carry you back.” Olivia finds it hard to concentrate, "...he shifted, and her eyes were drawn to the play of muscles on his chest, the bunch and shift of his abs. “Eyes u ...more
Blushing Reader
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3-3.5 Stars

What started off cute and fun quickly spun out into insta-everything too quick for me.
Sarah {The Bookish Knitter}
4 Stars

Challenges:
♥ Fly Around the World with AMMP: Mekoryuk, AK (MYU)
gabreadsbooks
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was meh for me. There’s not a whole lot of drama or conflict in the story to keep it interesting. The characters are also a bit plain. Maybe a different one by her would work better for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicates to combine 3 18 Feb 10, 2018 11:10AM

• Snowbound at Christmas (Montana Men, #5.5)
  • Country Nights
  • Her Favorite Maverick (Montana Mavericks: Six Brides for Six Brother)
  • Calhoun (Long, Tall Texans, #1)
  • Hart's Hollow Farm
  • Once a Rancher (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #1)
  • Steel Resolve
  • Sunrise Canyon
  • Texas Proud (Long, Tall Texans Book #52)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Midnight Vengeance (Men of Midnight, #1)
  • Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1)
  • The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2)
  • One Reckless Summer (Destiny, #1)
  • An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
  • No Quarter Asked (Cord & Stacy #1)
  • Instant Attraction (Wilder, #1)
  • Her Lucky Cowboy (Montana Men, #3)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then

Gold Valley (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Untamed Cowboy (Gold Valley, #2)
  • Good Time Cowboy (Gold Valley, #3)
  • A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)
  • Unbroken Cowboy (Gold Valley, #5)
  • Cowboy to the Core (Gold Valley, #6)
  • Lone Wolf Cowboy (Gold Valley, #7)
  • Cowboy Christmas Redemption (Gold Valley, #8)
  • The Bad Boy of Redemption Ranch (Gold Valley, #9)
  • The Hero of Hope Springs (Gold Valley, #10)
  • The Last Christmas Cowboy (Gold Valley, #11)