Start by marking “To Be Honest” as Want to Read:
To Be Honest

To Be Honest

Savannah is dreading being home alone with her overbearing mother after her sister goes off to college. But if she can just get through senior year, she'll be able to escape to college, too. What she doesn't count on is that her mother's obsession with weight has only grown deeper since her appearance on an extreme weight-loss show, and now Savvy's mom is pressuring her ev ...more
Published August 21st 2018 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about To Be Honest, please sign up.
The Carrion Librarian The main character's sister is a lesbian. It's honestly not a huge part of the book.

Start your review of To Be Honest
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I don’t read “fluffy” contemporary titles very often; if I do, it’s probably either because it’s a random, rare exception, a nostalgic favorite, or diverse in some way that I can’t pass up the opportunity to promote the story and author. To Be Honest falls into that last category, and as soon as I heard about this book, I knew I absolutely had to get my hands on it.

“News flash: fat isn’t a bad word, Mom. It’s the twenty-first century. I have blue eyes. I have blond hair. I’m fat. Literally n
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much about this book hit me SO close to home, but not in the ways that I was expecting! The main plot of this one and the romance are honestly pretty average, but I ended up LOVING it because of the realness of the relationship between Sav and her mom. Their relationship in this mirrored my relationship with my own mother to a T and it was honestly a little jarring. Such an odd reading experience for me, but I definitely recommend checking this one out when it releases later this year!

I recei
Christy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!!

photo IMG_1957_zpsh5rzilox.png

I’ve been in a huge YA mood lately, and To Be Honest really hit the spot. I listened to the audio book and the narrator was great. She voiced Savannah perfectly.

Savannah is a normal teen. She’s a little overweight, but it’s never bothered her. That is, until her mother went on a reality show for weight loss and everything changed in her house. Now, she’s being pressured constantly to eat a certain way. What I loved most about Savvy is that she could see beyond that and was able
Trina (Between Chapters)
The story was a bit simple for my taste BUT I read this for the fat rep, which I thought was great. The rep is necessary, but it could be triggering because the main character faces a lot of abusive fat-shaming from her mom, who has an eating disorder. Her weight had no role in the rest of the story or in any of the other relationships. Though there is a romance, there wasn't the 'getting a boyfriend made me finally like my body' trope.

In addition to the fat rep, the main character has anxiety.
Elizabeth
To Be Honest, this is one of the top three best YA contemporaries I've ever read.

See what I did there?

I have never read a book about a plus-size protagonist who didn't want to lose weight, nor has the story line ever involved anything other than the protagonist being fat. It was so freaking refreshing to read about Savannah, who is totally happy with her body the way it is. And what's even better is that this book isn't about Savannah being fat. Instead, it's about a toxic mother-daughter relat
Kat
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
“I’ve never seen so much chevron in my life.” What an awesome way to start! I LOVED Savannah, her determination, her positive body image, her bond with her sister and arguments with her mom over *her* negative body image. This book confronted so many issues, from sexism in the school system, to bribery and recruiting, eating disorders, family dysfunction, and had cute scenes as well, as a newspaper nerd falls for a band geek (the clarinet scene was super cute.) Loved every minute of this one.

Pl
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“It was one of those disappointments that confirmed your every fear that you'd somehow kept at bay with the tiniest sliver of hope.”

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Fat Shaming (challenged), Neglect, Verbally Abusive Parents, Mental Illness, Panic Attacks and Eating Disorders.

OMG do we have actual good fat rep?!?! Even a model on the cover who is a beautiful fat model! I'm in heaven! Thank you to the book gods for making this happen! I wish I had this type of novel when I was younger.

I'm always
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018-read
Actual Rating 4.5
I would like to thank Xpresso Book Tours, NetGalley and Maggie Ann Martin for the digital arc in exchange for an honest Review!

I didn’t expect that I thought this book will revolve around body shaming, It was but equally with other elements.

What wasn’t there? Close bonding of sisters? Body-shaming? Best friends? Anxiety? Romance? Complex relationship with parents? Everything was there.

I like the cover, It was vibrant.

The friendship between Savannah and Grace is so precious.

Sava
andrea caro
Firstly, let me thank Goodreads and Fierce Reads for sending me this ARC! This cover is gorgeous.

"News flash: fat isn’t a bad word, Mom."

Savannah is fed up. You know those diet shows where people spend several weeks locked away from their families getting yelled at by trainers and mocked because they like doughnuts? Yeah, her mom was on that show and is exacting everything she’s learned on Savannah.

This, coupled with Savvy’s big sister Ashley headed off to college, she has had enough.

This book,
jess ✨
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
"I'm sorry that someone taught you to hate yourself because of your body somewhere along the way, but I'm not going to let you pull me down with you."

To Be Honest is the kind of book I needed to read at this moment, but missing a lot to reach the potential it had.

This book was fun, fast-paced. The main character had different sides and aspects to her, which was a relief as I thought she could end up being quite one-dimensional.

But while I did enjoy this, it was a good time and I don't regret r
ambsreads
this was powerful.
i may write a full review but i honestly don’t think i could do this justice tbh
TL
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Thinking it over, overall I did enjoy the book but I wish some things had been elaborated on more (view spoiler). There were some great moments in this and the banter between the characters was lots of fun and I loved Savvy/Grace but sometimes it felt too... light.

When the book ended I had to blink a few times because I wasn't expecting it. I turned the page before the acknowledgements to be sure I hadn't misse
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC provided by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

FULL REVIEW MAY ALSO BE VIEWED ON LAIR OF BOOKS

🖤 Thank you Swoon Reads for the ARC copy in exchange for an honest review 🖤

PLOT

We meet Savvy as she and her mom are taking her sister Ashley to her dorm in college & there are a lot of feelings from the start. Savvy does struggle with anxiety & having such a tight bond with her older sister made separating all the harder. Besides not having her very best friend around anymore, she also ha
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
“News flash: fat isn't a bad word, Mom.”
When Savannah’s sister went off to college, she experienced a life-changing moment of her own. Having only Fiyero the monster poodle and her mom around, Savannah had to deal with her emotions and anxiety that was filled by her mom’s one-track mind to count calories and food restriction.

From her parents’ divorce to her mom joining a weight-loss reality TV show, Savannah felt her insecurities skyrocketed but I love how well she handled everything that ha
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

*4.5 stars*

Content warnings: fatphobia (addressed); eating disorders

Wow, I enjoyed To Be Honest so much more than expected. This book had #ownvoices fat representation, excellent family dynamics, and a swoonworthy romance. It gave me everything I enjoy in a YA contemporary. Plus, it was thoughtfully done and deceptive
Kate (GirlReading)
It’s usually a good sign when you fly through a book in one sitting and that was definitely the case with To Be Honest. I devoured this book and enjoyed every moment.

The writing itself was a little on the simpler side for my personal reading tastes but that didn’t take away from how much I appreciated the fat representation in this book. It made me so incredibly happy to be able to follow a fat character who was not only body positive and not constantly putting herself down but had a story of he
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
4.5 stars. This book ended up hitting so close to home for me, and I really loved this. Will probably do a dedicated video review very soon.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review.
Jay G
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

After Savannah's older sister leaves for college, she is left alone with her overbearing mother. Ever since her mother was featured on a reality weightloss TV show, she has been obsessed with her weight and is now pressuring Savanah to follow in her footsteps. She wants nothing more to escape her mother and the feeling of missing her sister, and that's when she meets a boy named George.
Vicky Again
I honestly have a lot of mixed feelings about this book.

I loved Martin's debut--it was such a light, fun, and comical contemporary! It was sweet, funny, and a total blast to read.

And in a lot of ways, To Be Honest shares a lot of similarities with The Big F. But in a way, I feel like the similarities took away some of the good things about To Be Honest.

To Be Honest tackles a lot of more serious topics than just failing class--eating disorders and weight loss and divorce and a whole bunch of othe
Grace
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a book I needed to read.
It's so scary how much I could relate to the characters, even the mother. The trauma of changing habits and how that affects those around you is real. I could really relate to the factors of growing up plus sized and going through an extreme weight-loss journey and I'm so appreciative this book dealt with both. I definitely understand how this book is polarised, but I absolutely needed this book.
Norah Una Sumner
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK

Julie
This was a lot of fun! Great fat rep, great discussions about diet culture and fatphobia and the expectations of family. I wish it was a little longer because there were a lot of subplots I wanted to see more from, but otherwise it was wonderful. Great friendships, sweet romance, STEM + liberal arts mixing, discussion about jock stereotypes. Lots of things I adore.

TW for fatphobia, eating disorders (anorexia/starvation), a few mentions of homophobia, emotional abuse
Laura (bbliophile)
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I managed to read this book in just one day, which says a lot. I loved it.
Adi Rocks Socks (semi hiatus)
YES, YES, YES!

Finally a YA book which promises a curvy girl AND has a gorgeous curvy girl on the cover!

Can’t wait to read this one! *so excited*
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for a review. This is no way impacted my opinions.

note: I am aware this review is late - I had some issues with getting reviews of a few August ARCs I received last August that I am currently catching up on.

trigger warnings: eating disorders, fat-shaming (challenged), toxic mother-daughter relationship (resolved)

To Be Honest is a young-adult contemporary novel about high school senior Savannah Alverson, who struggles with her relat
Jen Ryland
Aug 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: bea-2018
Positives: the sister relationship, the open discussion about weight, body image, and disordered eating.

I wish that the subplots (one about Savvy's journalism investigation and the other about Savvy's mother) had been better developed, but I think YA readers will enjoy this!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for r
Lia
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I might have listened to audiobook until deep into the night which was a bad idea for my sleep but I really enjoyed it.
Samantha (WLABB)
I will alway support a book that promotes body positivity, and this one also happened to feature a main character I totally fell in love with.

• Pro: Savannah was too fabulous, and charmed the pants off me. She was smart and full of life. She was driven, confident, and lots of fun. I absolutely loved her, and I loved her, because she loved herself. No approval needed.

• Pro: The sisterhood Savannah shared with Ashley was really wonderful. These two were pretty adorable together, and supported eac
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)

This was a perfectly cute story with a good message behind it. I loved how much Savvy loved herself and the strong support she had from her sister and best friend. The biggest downfall of the story was that it was quite rushed toward the end, and I don't feel like the conclusion was very satisfying. We got a resolution, but it was very simple and a little easy. But overall, this was the perfect book to get me back into a reading mood!
Justine
MY MIND AUTOMATICALLY GOES

AFTER SEEING THIS!

UPDATE! I received a DRC of the book through NetGalley, Swoon Reads and Xpresso Tours. Thank YOU!

Spoiler-free thoughts:

(1) There was a strong display of family dynamics: among Savvy’s mom, dad, and sister. Her mom had gone distant after she joined the television show and gone divorce from her dad. Her dad whom now lives away from them. And Savy’s sister Ashley who just left too because of college. Savy’s relationship with them was rocky and unsteady. I
Weighty Issues 1 7 Nov 02, 2018 08:28AM

• There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Maybe This Time
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • I'll Be the One
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Love From A to Z
  • The Voting Booth
  • Faking Under the Mistletoe
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Birthday
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
Maggie Ann Martin hails from Des Moines, Iowa but moonlights as a New Yorker. She earned a BA in English and Journalism from the University of Iowa, the most welcoming literary community in the world. When she is not writing, you can find her binge watching TV shows or passionately fangirling over fictional characters on the Internet. Her two young adult novels, The Big F and To Be Honest are avai ...more

News & Interviews

“You're the queen of pushing people away before they can say they like you. The queen of rejecting first so you can't be rejected.” 5 likes
“It was like they sent out a beacon that screamed “I’m incredibly datable,” and I sent out a beacon that screamed, “Look at the two other options right next to me.” 2 likes