Start by marking “Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)

Dance of Thieves

(Dance of Thieves #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  11,412 ratings  ·  1,872 reviews
A stunning new young adult adventure set in the kingdoms of the Remnant, by the author of the New York Times-bestselling Remnant Chronicles and the Jenna Fox Chronicles.

A formidable outlaw family that claims to be the first among nations.

A son destined to lead, thrust suddenly into power.

Three fierce young women of the Rahtan, the queen's premier guard.

A legendary street t
Published August 7th 2018 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dance of Thieves, please sign up.
Jessica I read this book without being aware The Remnant Chronicles even existed and I did just fine and really enjoyed the book.
₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ The refreshers of the characters from TRC are brief, but it gives you enough context to understand how they fit into the new plot. I know what you mea…moreThe refreshers of the characters from TRC are brief, but it gives you enough context to understand how they fit into the new plot. I know what you mean, it's been over a year since I read the series, but it wasn't too much of a struggle to recognise old characters!(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,051 books — 5,516 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,195 books — 4,753 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,412 ratings  ·  1,872 reviews

Start your review of Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
Kat
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok, so i’m lowering my rating to two stars bc i’ve been sitting on this book for two days trying to figure out what i want to say about it and there’s just…nothing. it’s not bad per say, but at the same time i’m struggling to find anything to really praise about it.

forgettable. that’s it, that’s the review.
Zainab
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kazi, a legendary former street thief.

I think this reminds us all of a certain someone.
Candace Robinson
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Mary's writing. Just like with the Kiss of Deception, Dance of Thieves sucked me right in from the get go! Also if you read the last trilogy, there is a glimpse of a few of the people from it! So I was fangirling about that!!

My favorite aspect of this book was the bond between Kazi and Jase—they were a bucket full of cuteness. Or course being on opposite sides of things caused disagreement and secrets, but it made the story more addicting. Kazi made me frustrated at times, but
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
I can’t even begin to explain how much I’ve missed this world and our old characters. I think it might be time for a reread soon!

Although The Remnant Chronicles has a special place in my heart and will probably never be replaced as my favorite Mary Pearson series, Dance of Thieves did not disappoint. It was great to see more of this world beyond just Morrighan, Dalbreck, and Venda.

Every character in this spin-off has already captured my heart. Kazi, Wren, and Synové? BAD ASS FEMALE CHARACTERS. P
Samantha
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This book relies more heavily on the romance than the plot, so that left me disappointed for most of the book. But the plot picked up at the end so I think I will be finishing this duology.
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I have a soft spot for Mary E. Pearson's books. She's a master at worldbuilding and angst, and her other series sent me over the roof with feels. Naturally, I was eager to get my hands on this new series set in the same world!

In short, I loved it, but I will say it was long and took me a while to get my bearing. Since it's been a while since I've read her other books, I had a hard time figuring out where I was in the world. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure where the new country/land is
Helena of Eretz ✰

"This was more than an unexpected turn. It was an unchecked slide into hell."

4.5 stars!!! As always, I think that it’s important to point out that Mary E. Pearson is the most underrated author in YA fantasy. And for the life of me, I can’t understand why that is! Her world-building, character development, and plot progression abilities are superb! This was supposed to be a buddy read with Diana, but she went POOF, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’d also like to make note that although this is technically a s
Nick
Sep 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
The cover is a work of art.
Cinda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This is everything I love in a fantasy--stellar world building, flawed characters who leap from the page, and high stakes treachery. Also steamy romance. Highly recommended.
Ann (annreads)
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
“What is this, Kazi?
I knew what he meant. This. What was this between us? Just what game were we playing?
I had wondered too. Because now our kisses were filled with pauses, our gazes filled with more questions instead of fewer.
I don’t know, Jase.
What do you feel?
Your lips, your hands, your heartbeat.
No, Kazi, in here, what do you feel in here?
His finger stroked a line down the center of my chest.
I felt an ache pressing within. A need I couldn’t name.
I don’t know.
I didn’t want to know.
Let me tast
Beatrice in Bookland
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy from the publishing house in exchange for an honest review*

4.5

And the award for most underrated ya writer goes to ... Mary E. Pearson, again! If there's one thing I don't get about Goodreads and the Book community in general is why everyone is sitting on this amazing author and her series. Seriously, pick these books up!

The plot

"Get him and get out. That was our task, and that was it. I told them that we also had the bad timing of being plummeted into the middle of a power war
Zoha
Feb 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Set in the universe of Pearson's Remnant Chronicles
description

Are you playing with my emotions, Mary? Are you? ARE YOU???
Tricia Levenseller
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Mary writes such rich worlds and swoony romances. The characters were so easy to relate to, and the plot was fantastic. An all-around great read that I highly recommend!
Merphy Napier
Dec 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS AND NOW I'M DYING!
Kat | Rustic Pages
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved stepping back into this universe, The Remnant Chronicles being my all time favorite trilogy! The story definitely revolves around the enemies to lovers romance but I am definitely not complaining. I found the banter highly entertaining and I think their relationship is my favorite part of the book. Unlike in The Remnant Chronicles, the politics had a hard time holding my attention and I was significantly more interested in the character’s relationship than anything else happen ...more
booksnpenguins (LIA)
Sep 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME WHILE I HYPERVENTILATE FOR A SECOND
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies, own
Personal rating: 4.5
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Without question, this novel was one of my most anticipated reads of this year. I loved the original "Remnant Chronicles" trilogy and was so excited to hear the announcement that the series would be continuing (albeit with different main characters). I wanted more from this world and I wanted more of Mary E. Pearson's writing.

I don't think I could be more disappointed to say that I didn't really enjoy this novel and am giving it 2.5 stars. I don't think I went into this novel with overly high e
Arini
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1 dance of thieves — 5 stars
#2 vow of thieves — 5 stars

MY GOD HELP ME HOW CAN I MOVE ON FROM THIS?!?!?

i mean, it's possible that i love this book even more than kingdom of ash. and i had just finished that book yesterday! my heart was still full of emotions. now with THIS DAMN BOOK, i was BEYOND CONTENT i could burst into smithereens!!!

i was really looking forward to getting back into this world ever since the remnant chronicles became one of my most favorite series in the whole world
Katrin D
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I have to admit that my expectations for this book were quite high. I remember that I wasn’t the biggest fan of “The Kiss of Deception” the first time I read it, but completely adored the other two books in the series, which prompted me to reread the first book (spoiler: I loved it the second time around). Which is all why I was truly expecting to adore every single page between the covers of “Dance of Thieves”.

But I...didn’t. Initially.

The story itself starts small, as all good stories should
Alaina
It started off slow but then it definitely got better.

Dance of Thieves was one of those books that I've been dying to dive into. I mean, that list is probably super long.. but at least I'm knocking some out. I absolutely loved Kazi and Jase in this book. However, I did feel like they started off rather fast. Like slow ya hormonal rolls down guys. Calm your tits please. Let's take it nice and slow. Maybe get to know each other. Throughout the book though, I was shipping them so much that I didn't
Jodi Meadows
Jul 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
I cry every day I don't have this book.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty confident going in that this book was going to be for me and damn I was right. It’s not every day that you get a book with a bunch of new people to love set in a world that you are already so invested in BUT that doesn’t center around all the old people and haunts from before.

Kazi and Jase are both flawed as hell but the have a solid moral compass for the ultimate right and wrong and it makes for one hell of a compelling story when they aren’t on the same sides but you want both of
Sara Saif
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: I would not

There’s a special word I reserve for books such as this. And that is: Bakwaas. It’s Urdu for ‘rubbish’ or ‘garbage’ only ten times sassier and meaner. If the last 200 pages (of this 700 page book) hadn’t been as redeeming as they were, I would have said this with considerably more venom and rage. As it is, I’m only feeling irritated at the moment.

Let me get the good out first because it’s short. A)The writing was great and B) the last 200 pages were fast-paced, happening and provoked a certain m

Lisa
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2018
I couldn't put this book down, which is basically one of the biggest compliments I can give lately. Pearson knows how to write romance, ya'll. It wasn't easy or simple, and it got me right in the heartstrings.

If you haven't read the Remnant Chronicles, no worries. This book uses some of the same characters in a minor way, but you can go into this without knowing anything and be totally fine. The only thing I wished for was a book map (always).

Although this book is considered fantasy, I will note
Stacee
I was all over this book when I heard Mary talk about it. I loved her other series in this world and couldn’t wait to get back to it. And here we are months later and I’m finally getting to it.

Love loved loved Kazi and Jase. They’re both loyal and they don’t trust people easily and I absolutely adored how they clicked so quickly. Their chemistry was fantastic. I also loved her fellow soldiers and his family. And of course getting to see Lia and Rafe was extra fun.

Plot wise, there is a lot goin
Christy (TheReaderBee)
Dance of Thieves is the first book in a brand new duology by Mary E. Pearson, and is also a spin-off of The Remnant Chronicles trilogy, which happens to be one of my most favorite series ever! Dance of Thieves was one of my most anticipated reads for 2018, and I was SO very excited to finally read this book. Having finally read it, I definitely was not disappointed, and I think it’s a perfect start to what should be a really awesome duology!

Before I started Dance of Thieves, I decided to re-read
Katerina Kondrenko
Feb 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-tbr
MARY, I LOVE YOU!
Laura ☾
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a bit patchy for me - there were parts that I really enjoyed and others that just seemed really cliché/drawn-out.
Grace
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, five-stars
WOW! What a fantastic read! I was captured and sucked into the world of Kazi of Brightmist.
Kazi was a no nonsense, relentless, fierce Rhatan, a member of the queen’s personal and most trusted soldiers.
She was sent on a mission by the queen to capture and bring back a traitor. The journey was full of adventure; she was captured, fell in love, uncovered answers to her riddled past, formed alliances and most importantly completed her mission by capturing the traitor to answer for his crimes.
The mo

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
Mary E. Pearson is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of eleven YA novels and one novella. Her works include the completed trilogy, The Remnant Chronicles, which in a starred review, Publisher’s Weekly called “masterfully crafted.” Her favorite activities as a child were climbing tall trees imagining she was a hero in some fantastical world, or running along fence tops and roofs pretendi ...more

Dance of Thieves (2 books)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Bow down, readers. We've rounded up the most popular royal books in the young adult fandom. How are we qualifying their noble pedigree...
“Choose your words carefully, even the words you think, because they become seeds,and seeds become history.” 33 likes
“What did they do to you, Kazi?” His voice was low, earnest. Even in the dim light, I was able to see the worry in his eyes.
I pretended I didn’t know what he was talking about. “Who did what?”
“Who made you afraid of an open world? An open sky? Was it Venda? Your parents?”
“No one did anything,” I answered quietly.
“Then hold on to me,” he said. “Let me show you the stars.”
24 likes