Start by marking “Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)

Dance of Thieves

(Dance of Thieves #1)

A new novel in the New York Times–bestselling Remnant Chronicles universe, in which a reformed thief and the young leader of an outlaw dynasty lock wits in a battle that may cost them their lives—and their hearts.

When the patriarch of the Ballenger empire dies, his son, Jase, becomes its new leader. Even nearby kingdoms bow to the strength of this outlaw family, who have a
Published August 7th 2018 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Dance of Thieves, please sign up.
₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ The refreshers of the characters from TRC are brief, but it gives you enough context to understand how they fit into the new plot. I know what you…moreThe refreshers of the characters from TRC are brief, but it gives you enough context to understand how they fit into the new plot. I know what you mean, it's been over a year since I read the series, but it wasn't too much of a struggle to recognise old characters!(less)
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) I haven't read The Remnant Chronicles and reading this (or as much as I read of it since I DNFed it) made me feel like if I had read TRC, I would have…moreI haven't read The Remnant Chronicles and reading this (or as much as I read of it since I DNFed it) made me feel like if I had read TRC, I would have been introduced to the world. It seemed like a lot of the worldbuilding was based on a book series that I haven't read.(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,030 books — 5,272 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,305 books — 4,735 voters

More lists with this book...

Cait • A Page with a View
I am SO HAPPY to have this chance to return to one of my favorite YA fantasy worlds and get a seriously awesome story. I was worried that maybe I'd have a hard time getting totally into a different plot in the same world (kind of like with Flamecaster after the Seven Realms series) but the author approached it SO well. There are mentions of "the queen" and events from the Remnant Chronicles, but it's held at a distance so you care just as much about the current characters by the time you do see ...more
Candace Robinson
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Mary's writing. Just like with the Kiss of Deception, Dance of Thieves sucked me right in from the get go! Also if you read the last trilogy, there is a glimpse of a few of the people from it! So I was fangirling about that!!

My favorite aspect of this book was the bond between Kazi and Jase—they were a bucket full of cuteness. Or course being on opposite sides of things caused disagreement and secrets, but it made the story more addicting. Kazi made me frustrated at times, but
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I can’t even begin to explain how much I’ve missed this world and our old characters. I think it might be time for a reread soon!

Although The Remnant Chronicles has a special place in my heart and will probably never be replaced as my favorite Mary Pearson series, Dance of Thieves did not disappoint. It was great to see more of this world beyond just Morrighan, Dalbreck, and Venda.

Every character in this spin-off has already captured my heart. Kazi, Wren, and Synové? BAD ASS FEMALE CHARACTERS. P
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I have a soft spot for Mary E. Pearson's books. She's a master at worldbuilding and angst, and her other series sent me over the roof with feels. Naturally, I was eager to get my hands on this new series set in the same world!

In short, I loved it, but I will say it was long and took me a while to get my bearing. Since it's been a while since I've read her other books, I had a hard time figuring out where I was in the world. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure where the new country/land is
Nick
Sep 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
The cover is a work of art.
Helena of Sparta ✰

"This was more than an unexpected turn. It was an unchecked slide into hell."

4.5 stars!!! As always, I think that it’s important to point out that Mary E. Pearson is the most underrated author in YA fantasy. And for the life of me, I can’t understand why that is! Her world-building, character development, and plot progression abilities are superb! This was supposed to be a buddy read with Diana, but she went POOF, so...\_(ツ)_/

I’d also like to make note that although this is technically a sep
Zainab
Apr 13, 2019 is currently reading it
Kazi, a legendary former street thief.

I think this reminds us all of a certain someone.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
We were alone, we had each other, and we had a whole wilderness ahead of us.

Dance of Thieves was a wish come true. I absolutely loved The Remnant Chronicles, so I was more than happy to read a novel set in the same universe. You can call it capitalism, but I'll read anything that has something to do with my beloved Lia and Rafe. Their special cameo was so satisfying that it almost made me forget about the one and only problem that I had with this book: instalove.

Fellow fans of Mary E. Pearson we
Beatrice in Bookland
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, owned
*I received a copy from the publishing house in exchange for an honest review*

4.5

And the award for most underrated ya writer goes to ... Mary E. Pearson, again! If there's one thing I don't get about Goodreads and the Book community in general is why everyone is sitting on this amazing author and her series. Seriously, pick these books up!

The plot

"Get him and get out. That was our task, and that was it. I told them that we also had the bad timing of being plummeted into the middle of a power war
Zoha
Feb 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Set in the universe of Pearson's Remnant Chronicles
description

Are you playing with my emotions, Mary? Are you? ARE YOU???
Cinda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This is everything I love in a fantasy--stellar world building, flawed characters who leap from the page, and high stakes treachery. Also steamy romance. Highly recommended.
Lily ☁️
I’m ready for girl power, sneaky thieves, malicious plots, and stabby, underhanded characters!!

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Tricia Levenseller
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Mary writes such rich worlds and swoony romances. The characters were so easy to relate to, and the plot was fantastic. An all-around great read that I highly recommend!
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
Sep 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME WHILE I HYPERVENTILATE FOR A SECOND
Ann (annreads)
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
“What is this, Kazi?
I knew what he meant. This. What was this between us? Just what game were we playing?
I had wondered too. Because now our kisses were filled with pauses, our gazes filled with more questions instead of fewer.
I don’t know, Jase.
What do you feel?
Your lips, your hands, your heartbeat.
No, Kazi, in here, what do you feel in here?
His finger stroked a line down the center of my chest.
I felt an ache pressing within. A need I couldn’t name.
I don’t know.
I didn’t want to know.
Let me tast
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, review-copies
Personal rating: 4.5
Merphy Napier
Dec 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS AND NOW I'M DYING!
Jodi Meadows
Jul 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
I cry every day I don't have this book.
Katrin D
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-jan-2019
I have to admit that my expectations for this book were quite high. I remember that I wasn’t the biggest fan of “The Kiss of Deception” the first time I read it, but completely adored the other two books in the series, which prompted me to reread the first book (spoiler: I loved it the second time around). Which is all why I was truly expecting to adore every single page between the covers of “Dance of Thieves”.

But I...didn’t. Initially.

The story itself starts small, as all good stories should
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Without question, this novel was one of my most anticipated reads of this year. I loved the original "Remnant Chronicles" trilogy and was so excited to hear the announcement that the series would be continuing (albeit with different main characters). I wanted more from this world and I wanted more of Mary E. Pearson's writing.

I don't think I could be more disappointed to say that I didn't really enjoy this novel and am giving it 2.5 stars. I don't think I went into this novel with overly high e
Lisa
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arc
I couldn't put this book down, which is basically one of the biggest compliments I can give lately. Pearson knows how to write romance, ya'll. It wasn't easy or simple, and it got me right in the heartstrings.

If you haven't read the Remnant Chronicles, no worries. This book uses some of the same characters in a minor way, but you can go into this without knowing anything and be totally fine. The only thing I wished for was a book map (always).

Although this book is considered fantasy, I will note
Alaina
It started off slow but then it definitely got better.

Dance of Thieves was one of those books that I've been dying to dive into. I mean, that list is probably super long.. but at least I'm knocking some out. I absolutely loved Kazi and Jase in this book. However, I did feel like they started off rather fast. Like slow ya hormonal rolls down guys. Calm your tits please. Let's take it nice and slow. Maybe get to know each other. Throughout the book though, I was shipping them so much that I didn't
Katerina Kondrenko
Feb 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-tbr
MARY, I LOVE YOU!
Stacee
I was all over this book when I heard Mary talk about it. I loved her other series in this world and couldn’t wait to get back to it. And here we are months later and I’m finally getting to it.

Love loved loved Kazi and Jase. They’re both loyal and they don’t trust people easily and I absolutely adored how they clicked so quickly. Their chemistry was fantastic. I also loved her fellow soldiers and his family. And of course getting to see Lia and Rafe was extra fun.

Plot wise, there is a lot goin
Sara Saif
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: I would not

There’s a special word I reserve for books such as this. And that is: Bakwaas. It’s Urdu for ‘rubbish’ or ‘garbage’ only ten times sassier and meaner. If the last 200 pages (of this 700 page book) hadn’t been as redeeming as they were, I would have said this with considerably more venom and rage. As it is, I’m only feeling irritated at the moment.

Let me get the good out first because it’s short. A)The writing was great and B) the last 200 pages were fast-paced, happening and provoked a certain m

colourful.letters
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-at-home
Meine Meinung:Es ist schon etwas länger her, seitdem ich "Die Chroniken der Verbleibenen" gelesen habe, aber die meisten Dinge konnte ich noch behalten von der Story und allem. Aber umso gespannter war ich auf das neue Buch, welches auch wirklich toll war! Weiteres werde ich jetzt erzählen.Das Cover erinnert ein bisschen an die Hauptreihe, was ich wirklich toll finde. Die Farben harmonieren wieder so gut miteinander!Was mir auch wieder gut gefallen hat ist, dass der Schreibstil gleich geblieben ...more
Jaesi Jones
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I am so thrilled to be back in this world! I’m happy that it’s a whole new story but still has brief mention and appearances of all the characters I loved from the Remnant Chronicles.

Ok... The two main characters have quickly become some of my favorites! They are perfectly imperfect! The angst and contempt but utter passion they hold for one another is fantastic!

In true Mary E. Pearson fashion, there are betrayals and twists and turns that you’ll never see coming! She is simply a geniu
G E O R G I A
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, young-adult
So much girl power here 🌼
I'm really surprised for how much I enjoyed this book. Kazi is soft and badass. 💕 Jase's family is cute. Must protect at all costs 🌻
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Mary E. Pearson is one of my favorite authors because she crafts such beautiful plots with a unique flair. I enjoyed The Kiss of Deception series and was excited when I heard that Dance of Thieves would be a spin-off duology taking place six years after the end of The Beauty of Darkness and following fresh characters.

Kazi is an elite guard for the Queen of Venda, tasked with a covert mission that involves exploring the northern reaches of the continent, a region that doesn't abide by the laws of
Sarah Black
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-favorite
Fantasy - Young Adult - Romance

Dance of Thieves helped me crawl from my reading slump.

This book made me want to put off all responsibilities and read everything else Mary E. Pearson has ever written.

When I found out that Dance of Thieves is a spin-off of a previously written series by Mary E. Pearson, I became even more excited! I am currently on a book buying ban as I save for my wedding and future home, but as soon as its over you know what I will be ordering!

I loved the political conflict, t
YA Buddy Readers'...: Dance of Thieves by Mary E, Pearson -> Staring November 7th, 2018 10 9 Nov 18, 2018 10:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Merge editions 2 29 Aug 22, 2017 01:05PM
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • Ink, Iron, and Glass (Ink, Iron, and Glass, #1)
  • Soul in Darkness
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • Dark of the West (Glass Alliance, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Untitled (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
Mary E. Pearson is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of eleven YA novels and one novella. Her works include the completed trilogy, The Remnant Chronicles, which in a starred review, Publisher’s Weekly called “masterfully crafted.” Her favorite activities as a child were climbing tall trees imagining she was a hero in some fantastical world, or running along fence tops and roofs pretendi ...more

Dance of Thieves (2 books)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
“She fascinated me, her contradictions, her secrets, and the girl that sometimes surfaced from beneath her tough soldier exterior, like when she spotted the wish stalks on the bank. The girl who forgot who I was and pressed a wish stalk to my ankle. In another world, another circumstance, I think we might have been friends. Or more.” 10 likes
“What did they do to you, Kazi?” His voice was low, earnest. Even in the dim light, I was able to see the worry in his eyes.
I pretended I didn’t know what he was talking about. “Who did what?”
“Who made you afraid of an open world? An open sky? Was it Venda? Your parents?”
“No one did anything,” I answered quietly.
“Then hold on to me,” he said. “Let me show you the stars.”
9 likes