Start by marking “The Impossibility of Us” as Want to Read:
The Impossibility of Us

The Impossibility of Us

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
The last thing Elise wants is to start her senior year in a new town. But after her brother’s death in Afghanistan, she and her mother move from San Francisco to a sleepy coastal village.

When Elise meets Mati, they quickly discover how much they have in common. Mati is new to town too, visiting the U.S. with his family. Over the course of the summer, their relationship beg
Published July 31st 2018 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Impossibility of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impossibility of Us

Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Stacee
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I went into this expecting a ball of fluff, but it’s not quite that.

I loved Elise and Mati. They’re both such good people and I truly enjoyed reading them figure everything out. She’s such a smart ass and he’s such a marshmallow and together they have this quiet intensity that I couldn’t get enough of.

Plot wise it was heartbreaking, but hopeful. There’s so much racism and it’s sad to know that this is actually happening in our world right now. It was impossible not to root for Elise and
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Buckets, people, I cried buckets of tears reading this one. It was emotional on so many levels. Upperman incorporated ideas of forgiveness, friendship, grief, loss, tolerance, and prejudice into a touching story of first love.

• Pro: What a beautiful and emotional story. My heart was wrecked in a bunch different ways, but also filled with so much joy.

• Pro: I must say, I was a fan of the book format. It was alternating POVs between Elise and Mati, but Mati's chapters were in verse, and they were
Jessica Pennington
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ADORED this book. Full review to come!
Silanur
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a sensitivity read and really, really enjoyed it--I'll probably post a review when the publication date is closer. :)
Justine May
After Elise’s brother’s death in Afghanistan, she and her mother moved to a coastal village. Elise was not pleased by the idea for she will now spend her Senior year there instead of San Francisco. Adjusting to a new comfort of living. When she met Mati, everything in her new world seems to be easier. Their connection was instant. They both found comfort in each other. But it will be not that easy…

It is told in two point-of-views, Elise’s and Mati. What I love about it more is that Mati’s though
Jaime Arkin
This was such an emotional story… I don’t think I was expecting that when I opened it up to read the first chapter. Once I started though, I couldn’t stop and I found myself tearing through this in one sitting.

Upperman has created some really interesting characters with this story, and how fitting that we’re reading something like this now when we are seeing so much racial tension and negativity in the world.

Elise is forced to leave San Francisco for a sleepy California coastal town to support
Kate (Beyond Bookish)
Really beautiful! Katy is quickly becoming my new favorite author. While your waiting for this beauty to publish (July 31) consider picking up her debut Kissing Max Holden, another one of my favorites!

Full Review of TIOS closer to the release date :D
Lynda Dickson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13+
Shelves: young-adult
Just before her senior year of high school, seventeen-year-old Elise is forced to move to the tiny town of Cypress Beach. An encounter with a strange boy on the beach will lead to something she never expected to find this far from her beloved San Francisco. Will she be strong enough to overcome the prejudices of her family in order to seek her own happiness? And is it true that, in the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson, “’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”?

The story i
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
4.5 STARS

Katy Upperman has done it again. As much as I loved her debut novel, Kissing Max Holden, The Impossibility of Us has more depth, packs more of an emotional punch, and made a visceral impact that had me wiping away tears.

Newly arrived in a small coastal California town in order to be closer to her niece and her brother’s widow, Elise meets Mati at the beach. Their tenuous friendship is threatened when Elise learns Mati is from Afghanistan but her hesitancy turns to acceptance when she re
Beth Summer
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC and all I can say is: wow. I am a huge fan of KISSING MAX HOLDEN and already knew Katy Upperman's writing is on another level, but I'm still blown away at just how unique and stunning TIOU is.
First we've got the fierce romance between Elise and Mati. Their inescapable pull makes the reader feel as if we're gasping for air when they're apart. That's how good this is. Then there are the complex family dynamics, and the so very real characters Upperman is a master
Marci Curtis
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't prepared for this story. I had no idea it would be so emotional. It ran the gamut, from laughs to swoons, from goosebumps to tears. God, THE TEARS. I spent the last quarter of the book sobbing (no exaggeration). Because HOLY CRAP, I felt for those two kids.

There's this soaring, beautiful romance, for sure, but there are also so many powerful messages about loss, desertion, racism, tolerance, love, equality, selflessness, friendship, family, and kindness.

THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF US easily
Marie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases, arcs
I really, reaaally enjoyed this book. It has everything I love: great, endearing characters, a swoon-worthy relationship with the complications, emotions and everything else. I really had such a great time reading it <3
Full review coming soon! :)
rachel 007
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-read
Agh this book is beautiful. Perfect for fans of Trish Doller and Sarah Ockler. I read an early draft and can't wait to read the final! :)
Michelle (Firstbooklove)
(I received a free eARC from Xpresso Book tours in exchange for an honest review)

“If you think walking away now is right, go, but know you’re taking a piece of me with you.”

The impossibility of us by Katy Upperman

Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance

Format: eARC

Rating: 4/5 stars

(Review)

(DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my opinion only.)

After her brother’s death in Afghanistan, Elise is forced to start her senior year in a coastal village. She meets Mati, who’s family is visiting from Afghanistan a
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Surprisingly Deep
Bonus Factors: Open-Mindedness, Photography, Coins and Tombstones
Anti-Bonus Factor: Family Discord
Relationship Status: Serious Summer Romance

Read the full book report here.
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What a beautiful story... I cried and laughed and smiled and felt the heartbreak of these two teenagers as they fought to be together against all the reasons that they should be. Told in alternating voices and writing styles, Elise and Mati have a beautiful story to tell. Elise has recently moved with her mother to be closer to her sister-in-law and niece. After the death of her older brother in Afghanistan, Elise has been trying to survive and find her way. When she meets Mati on the beach, she ...more
Kim Owens
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I found it to be realistic, eye-opening in so many ways and full of that teen angst we all remember.
The characters were beautifully developed, their dialogue so genuine that I found myself drawn into their world fairly quickly.
Elise is no stranger to loss, with a father that took off when she was very young, a mother completely absorbed in the writing of her romance novels, and an older brother killed in action while deployed in Afghanistan. In the summer before her seni
Kath (Read Forevermore)
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-arcs, reviews
An arc of this book was sent to me by Swoon Reads/ Fierce Reads in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

OH MY GOSH! This book! I am an emotional mess right now! This book had all the "feels," which makes me so happy. The romance between Elise and Mati was just so strong, and their bond is so beautiful. Among the romance, there are lessons of family, friendship, selflessness, kindness, love, loss, and racism. This book was hard and serious, but at the same time was
Alexis Neuville
Read my review on my blog:
The Impossibility of Us review

A new absolute favorite. This book had me crying and all the feels were laid out on the table. Read the full review on Literary Lexi.
Kylie Corley
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC through a Goodreads giveaway. I think it was fast that I won this, too. Life has just been so depressing lately, and reading this was like a breath of fresh air.
It was beautifully written, and the words so captivating. The author did a great job in all the descriptions, I felt every high and low emotion of the characters.
Highly recommend this book. Definitely going to pick up the author's other book and any further novels she writes.
Mandie Baxter
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
I can not put into words how beautifully written this story is. Katy’s words swallowed me whole and spit me back out. Truly grateful to have been given a chance to read this story early. And I hope it touches the lives of many, many people after it’s release. Everyone should read Elise and Mati’s story.
Sara
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my heart. Katy Upperman has done it again. What a beautiful love story, such gorgeous writing, unforgettable characters.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book, and can't wait to have a finished copy on my shelf next to KMH.
Lola Sharp
Mar 06, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult
I was lucky to beta read an early version of Katy's lovely manuscript. I don't want to say too much right now (full review close to release), but suffice to say I still remember some lines VIVIDLY because they were so pretty. <3
Moriah
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing. Katy Upperman did not suffer from the sophomore slump. Full review to come.

*Thank you to the author for sharing a copy with me!*

Full Review HERE!
Teenreadsdotcom
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF US by Katy Upperman is a captivating, heart-wrenching story about falling for someone that you know your family doesn't approve of, but doing so anyway. This book also manages to tackle important topics such as hatred, prejudice, the armed forces and Islamophobia.

As the summary explains, Elise just moved to a sleepy coastal town with her mother, following in the footsteps of her sister-in-law, Audrey, and her niece, Janie. Audrey was married to Elise's brother, Nick, and the
Anna
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katy Upperman has taken a very heated topic of racism and instead of throwing it in your face and forcing you to think one way or another, she’s put it all into perspective. Elise is an American and lives in California. Her brother died in Afghanistan and her mother and sister-in-law have decided to move away so they can try and find a way to move on. Mati’s family is from Afghanistan and has moved to the US for the summer for Mati’s father to undergo medical treatment. Elise and Mati start to b ...more
Kayla Brunson
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.

“I don’t want to find love - I want it to find me. I want it to crash into me. Know me down. Seize me.”

I loved this! I expected this to make emotional because of the subject, but it really made me teary. This story was beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Elise and Mati warmed my heart. Elise was going through the grief of losing her brother in Afghanistan and moving to a new town. Mati’s family is from Afghanistan. They are in t
Liz Roque
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I didn't expect much from this book, but boy, did it blow me away. From the characters to the romance to the entire message, Katy Upperman did a fantastic job of creating an enticing story that leaves a mark.

***SPOILERS***
The first thing I noticed, and loved, was Elise's loyalty to her family, even though she'd rather do anything but move to a new town before her senior year of high school, she would do anything for Audrey, her sister-in-law, and Janie, her three-year-old niece. It's extremely e
Kathy Martin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three years after losing her brother Nick while serving in Afghanistan, seventeen-year-old Elise moves from San Francisco to a small, sleepy coastal California town to be nearer to her sister-in-law and three-year-old niece. Her mother, who has spent the last three years suffering from writer's block, is not writing again. Elise is lonely. Her only saving grace is her new goldendoodle puppy Bambi and her photography.

One morning, while walking Bambi on the beach, she rescues a young man who has v
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99